Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
One of the black-and-white seasons
Season 7
Season 11
Season 13
Season 15
The Key to Time
Season 21
Season 25
View Results

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Reading the latest reviews on Sandifer's site and this realization hit me:

Narsham on https://www.eruditorumpress.com posted:

After a very long think, I believe I’ve found a potential approach to the Chibnall years.

To paraphrase from somewhere: About 8 years ago, on a nameless program that no longer exists, televisual evolution went up a blind alley. Natural programmatic selection turned back on itself, and a series evolved which prospered by absorbing the energy wavelengths of entertainment itself. It ate stories, all stories, including those which it produced itself.

The natural outcome of this procedure was the series entirely consuming itself, eating away most of the universe but in a fashion which rendered that destruction meaningless, having Time itself appear to say something completely meaningless, and then concluding with three stories. The first keeps going wrong but somehow manages enough revisions to work, if only just. The second claims to be a story about two things, one of which barely appears and the other of which appears but fails to function in an “even the effects don’t fail entertainingly any more” kind of way. And in the last, the old show must die, and the new show discovers to its inexpressible joy that it has never existed.

Fortunately, in 2023, a visionary producer/writer by the name of Russell T. Davies somehow managed to restart a television program with a rich history which looked like it would never be able to continue.

To expand a bit: Chibnall's first season consumes the stories of the Doctor's companions. Season 2 consumes the Time Lords, the Master, and of course, the Doctor herself, by adding to the Doctors we know about a potentially infinite number of past Doctors, none of whose stories appear to be worth a drat. (We still don't even know if the Fugitive Doctor is really a past Doctor or not, and Chibnall theoretically brought her back!)

And the Flux is a story about the entire universe being consumed, that somehow manages to "finish" telling its story without making clear if any of the universe that got consumed is subsequently unconsumed or not. It literally tells a story where the big thing that is happening doesn't matter. It's like if Davies never had the scenes of towing Earth back into place at the end of The Stolen Earth.

But then, consider what the first three Davies stories do:
1. The Star Beast restores Donna Noble's memories and brings back the Doctor-Donna.
2. Wild Blue Yonder sees the Doctor and Donna confront malevolent simulacra of themselves which could almost be mistaken for the real thing. They manage to banish them, but Doctor Who the show will be changed as a result. (It's fair to read the simulacra as versions of the Chibnall years show.)
3. The Giggle retells the history of the show within a radically different context, integrating past and present and future. It also overwrites the "black hole of story" that is The Timeless Child (millions of potential lives, no stories to tell) with bigeneration (lots of room for new stories for every Doctor), rewrites the cringeworthy Celestial Toymaker, and creates a chance to start again.

And of course, The Church on Ruby Road is all about preventing a group of piratical grotesque creatures who may or may not represent BBC executives and members of the government from stealing away the show's future and consuming it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Just one thing, Wild Blue Yonder pretty emphatically underlines the destruction of half the universe. After all, the setting of the story is inside the vast void created by that event.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Yeah it should really be a "I'll try but sometimes we run into the end of all time or a monster that eats only time travel companions and poo poo happens, but it's still safer than driving in a highway so be prepared.

Look, if the Doctor ever learned his lesson, this would be a very different show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good point. In that case have the toy maker show up afterwards to do a play to onboard the friends and family of companions.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Narsham posted:

3. The Giggle retells the history of the show within a radically different context, integrating past and present and future. It also overwrites the "black hole of story" that is The Timeless Child (millions of potential lives, no stories to tell) with bigeneration (lots of room for new stories for every Doctor), rewrites the cringeworthy Celestial Toymaker, and creates a chance to start again.
Oh, we can go further than that.

The Toymaker is Chibnall: the man who turned the Doctor's past into a jigsaw puzzle for no goddamn reason other than to play an empty little game with it. His poisoning of television required sacrifices to overcome, and for a while the show is going to be a bit off-kilter with the rules of the universe in flux before things stabilise again. But he has himself been neutralised, contained, and buried in salt.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://i.imgur.com/nclskGX.mp4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The new owner, Mr Tase, would love to you to try them out!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Edward Mass posted:

That’s probably for the best, lest we get a Willy’s Chocolate Experience case on the BBC’s hands.

The Unknown is basically a AI Generated c-grade Doctor Who monster, so sure.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Just one thing, Wild Blue Yonder pretty emphatically underlines the destruction of half the universe. After all, the setting of the story is inside the vast void created by that event.

My thesis is that Chibnall’s the showrunner whose tenure sees the show consume itself. Davies brings it back from the brink.

Warthur posted:

Oh, we can go further than that.

The Toymaker is Chibnall: the man who turned the Doctor's past into a jigsaw puzzle for no goddamn reason other than to play an empty little game with it. His poisoning of television required sacrifices to overcome, and for a while the show is going to be a bit off-kilter with the rules of the universe in flux before things stabilise again. But he has himself been neutralised, contained, and buried in salt.

Nah, the Toymaker is too entertaining to be Chibnall.

I admit it will be interesting to see if he writes an episode for Davies at some point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
drat, 19 years ago yesterday, ‘Rose’ was first broadcast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Next year they can do The Seven Doctors and have an Eccleston waxwork!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's just Eccelston in Thor 2

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Of worth:

Russell T Davies says end of BBC is ‘undoubtedly on its way’

Doctor Who showrunner is trying to ensure that the fantasy drama outlasts the broadcaster

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.amp...edly-on-its-way

According to the head of one of the BBC’s most successful franchises, the broadcaster’s end is inevitable.

Speaking on television podcast They Like to Watch, Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies explains that there is a good reason for the fantasy drama being co-produced with Disney: it means that its survival doesn’t require the continued existence of the BBC.

“You’ve got to look in the long term at the end of the BBC, which is undoubtedly on its way in some shape or form,” says Davies.

“Is Doctor Who going to die then? No! You’ve got to prepare for that kind of stuff.”

The lack of lavish BBC budgets is another reason that Davies claims Doctor Who’s future requires Disney’s involvement – particularly in a world where high-budget productions are increasingly the norm, as Doctor Who needs “to be up there with the big hitters”.

“If Disney collapsed tomorrow and we had to go back to making Doctor Who on a normal BBC budget, you know what? We’d all rally round and make it and suddenly the stories would become claustrophobic ghost stories,” he says.

“A lot of people would like that very much, so I’m not saying you have to have this happen. But while it’s happening elsewhere, I think it’s unfair that it doesn’t happen to Doctor Who.”

Davies’ comments are part of an interview with podcasters Geoff Lloyd and Sara Barron, on topics including camera techniques, scriptwriting and the unlikeliness of Disney creating a Doctor Who Disneyland-style experience, given that a previous, Cardiff-based experience closed due to lack of profitability, costing tax payers £1.1m (“That Doctor Who experience lost a lot of money”).

Davies also claims that despite the success of his Doctor Who reboot, the BBC doesn’t have him contractually tied down.

“It’s kind of a rolling contract. It’s very free. Look, if I had enough tomorrow, I could walk out. Well, I wouldn’t walk out, because I wouldn’t let people down. But nothing could trap me … I would never be in a situation where I had to write things,” he says.

“I’m talking as though that’s about to happen. That’s not about to happen. I love it. But … oh my God, I’d never be stuck sitting somewhere going: I must do five years here. Never. I’m too old for that now.”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bummed to see the BBC go, they've always had some great stuff being made and I loved that this tiny place had its own dedicated TV production apparatus - and publicly funded to boot. Really cool concept, it wasn't perfect, but it seemed like a very important media staple to stand against the abject horrible capitalization of everything else. It's important to not let everything in life be controlled by the myths of the markets but all that seems to be going away too.

Never do a Brexit, I don't care how much you want your own independence day.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I''m glad RTD isn't going to let himself get JNTd by the show but good god the notion of the beeb not being around is depressing. I don't think he's wrong but ugh.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Tories have been chipping away at the BBC for years (same with the NHS), and the former will definitely fall first. It'll probably limp on for years to come, but it's definitely going to have to become a commercially funded entity, rather than supported by the TV licence.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I'm not sure how much the demise of the BBC is directly about Brexit, though they're definitely symptoms of the same issue.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Conservative governments destroying what was bult up over generations.

It's a thing.

And it's happening in a lot of countries.

They're chopping at the bit to destroy the CBC in Canada. They've pretty much promised it since it's one of the few independent and public funded stations that covers the news.

The vast majority of other news sources are ring winged owned and it shows. The CBC refused to bend the knee and now the cons are intending to dismantle it which sadly will probably happen after the next election.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The Last Call posted:

Davies’ comments are part of an interview with podcasters Geoff Lloyd and Sara Barron, on topics including camera techniques, scriptwriting and the unlikeliness of Disney creating a Doctor Who Disneyland-style experience, given that a previous, Cardiff-based experience closed due to lack of profitability, costing tax payers £1.1m (“That Doctor Who experience lost a lot of money”).

Well, they would've made their money back if they didn't let people pay for admittance using John Barrowman CDs. :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

Well, they would've made their money back if they didn't let people pay for admittance using John Barrowman CDs. :colbert:

Once 5, 6 and 7s costumes were stolen it was the beginning of the end

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Narsham posted:

Nah, the Toymaker is too entertaining to be Chibnall.

I admit it will be interesting to see if he writes an episode for Davies at some point.
RTD seems determined to rehabilitate The Timeless Child and Flux, and his nods to them have been more effective than anything Chibbers did. Redeeming Chibnall would be the ultimate challenge.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I get why, but putting the experience in Cardiff wasn’t going to get all the people, unlike London.

The only reason I ever went to it was because they were doing a limited run studio/set tour at the same time.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I went because I was on Only Connect and it also films in Cardiff, and we had a free day.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

lines posted:

I went because I was on Only Connect and it also films in Cardiff, and we had a free day.

I suspect that half of their visitors were also Only Connect contestants. :v:

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I suspect that half of their visitors were also Only Connect contestants. :v:

The best bit is we funded it with the money they gave us as part of our free day allowance, which nearly perfectly covered it I think. Truly a circular budget system.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

I get why, but putting the experience in Cardiff wasn’t going to get all the people, unlike London.

The only reason I ever went to it was because they were doing a limited run studio/set tour at the same time.

The Experience wasn't helped by being kind of dark and musty feeling too. Even at the height of the show it felt kind of like someone's basement exhibition.

Also, the gift shop was poo poo, but then there's a severe lack of quality Doctor Who merch in general.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

The Experience wasn't helped by being kind of dark and musty feeling too. Even at the height of the show it felt kind of like someone's basement exhibition.

Also, the gift shop was poo poo, but then there's a severe lack of quality Doctor Who merch in general.

Surely they had at least a couple of Destroyed Cassandra figures?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think Disney could probably do a better job at creating a Doctor Who theme park experience, lol. Like a single ride in one of their existing parks with a little shop on the way out and maybe a quick-service dining experience though, not like... a new theme park. Before it got rebranded as a Lilo and Stitch show, the Extra TERRORrestrial theater was a stone's throw away from being a Doctor Who episode.

I can see why they'd be reticent to do it for a lot of reasons (I don't know how long they have the rights before they have to renew, they have 100 other IPs to create rides for, their theme parks have had their own troubles lately that have made the brand suffer a little, etc.) but I don't think the Cardiff thing should even register. It seems like it was almost more of a museum and it was located in Wales, the only profitable way to get out of that would be blowing up a nuclear power plant and surfing your way out to space to sell the earth for slag.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

I think Disney could probably do a better job at creating a Doctor Who theme park experience, lol. Like a single ride in one of their existing parks with a little shop on the way out and maybe a quick-service dining experience though, not like... a new theme park. Before it got rebranded as a Lilo and Stitch show, the Extra TERRORrestrial theater was a stone's throw away from being a Doctor Who episode.

I can see why they'd be reticent to do it for a lot of reasons (I don't know how long they have the rights before they have to renew, they have 100 other IPs to create rides for, their theme parks have had their own troubles lately that have made the brand suffer a little, etc.) but I don't think the Cardiff thing should even register. It seems like it was almost more of a museum and it was located in Wales, the only profitable way to get out of that would be blowing up a nuclear power plant and surfing your way out to space to sell the earth for slag.

I'm not sure they even have any DW rights outside of the right to broadcast the show, so yeah I don't think they'd do it.

Honestly it's weird Merlin Entertainments have never tried to get the licence to do it in the UK.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

How dare you

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

How dare you

I stand corrected.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

lines posted:

how far did you get in the show?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Apparently Ncuti Gatwa and Millie Gibson have been watching Time and the Rani recently, for some reason.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

OldMemes posted:

Apparently Ncuti Gatwa and Millie Gibson have been watching Time and the Rani recently, for some reason.

Gatwa in a bad wig….?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is it still a bad wig if he makes it look good?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

The_Doctor posted:

How dare you

Does it shout "EXTERMINATE!" instead of "Cuckoo!"?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

TinTower posted:

how far did you get in the show?

Got to the quarter finals after two wins and a loss, we met the team we'd already lost to again and they beat us (they went on to win).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Chibbers is adapting Agatha Christies for Netflix now. Funny how the headlines emphasise his Broadchurch connections and not his Who work.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's cause his Broadchurch work was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Infinitum posted:

That's cause his Broadchurch work was good

Was it though?