Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah, I'm just referring to them demeaningly because I don't like them. I'm petty like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I've meant to post this for a while but finally got around to it.

It's a shame they had to call that season Flux, because right around that time someone got me a copy of the Doctor Who Fluxx card game (https://www.looneylabs.com/games/doctor-who-fluxx) which has sat, unused, in my game collection since received.

Partly due to it taking an act of god to get me to try a new game out (or play one in general) these days, but I'd love to blame some of it on the poor name coincidence.

So, anyone play it and am I missing out? Never played Fluxx anything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I haven't played (base) Fluxx in years but it was always tremendous fun because eventually it spirals completely out of control and nobody can remember which rules are still active, overwritten or contradictions can't be overlooked any further - seems perfect for Doctor Who!

We had one friend in our group though who couldn't stand that kind of chaos so we moved away from playing it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances

What is there to say about these that hasn't been said over and over for 19 years, they remain a stone cold classic story. Moffat probably became RTD's heir apparent right here. Barely an inch of wasted space (even the cliffhanger resolution of "go to your room" sets the whole rest of the plot in motion) and a truly beautiful climax, undimmed even by Moffat taking the reigns of the show and going on to pull an "everybody lives" every other week. Eccleston sells it beautifully as a victory the Ninth Doctor, still fresh out of the Time War, really really needed.

According to tvtropes "red bicycle when you were 12" is a remnant of some cut plotline about the Doctor messing about in Rose's past?!??!? Sounds unlikely, but if it ever was planned it's good they didn't go through with it. Doesn’t sound very Doctorish, does it? She's 19 dude!

Good line:

quote:

Jack: [seeing the Tardis for the first time] Bigger on the inside.
Doctor: You'd better be.
After two gigantic fuckups from Adam and Rose in a row he's understandably wary about taking someone else in, but Jack's proved himself capable of selfless acts when it counts. Also I wonder if any story outside the show ever addressed Jack's amnesia?

Boom Town

This was replacing some other planned episode that fell through, so I've heard before. It's quite pleasant, a breather episode where the Doctor is forced to follow up on a previous adventure while Rose has to do the same with Mickey. One thing that points to the hurried nature of the script is the idea of the Tardis needing to refuel, which I think is brought up again one other time ever. Despite how hurriedly it must have been banged out, I appreciate the way it manages to function as callback and foreshadowing and a distinct genre premise separate from the other episodes of the series, all at once. In terms of plot it's just a filler episode, but the fact that it feels so different does still enrich the series. It says, we can tell this kind of story too.

I've heard the criticism before that the debate between Margaret and the Doctor is dumb because she's clearly massively worse than he is, but then the point isn't to show that they're as bad as each other but to highlight again that the Doctor has a darker side that we don't usually see. The finale is going to involve him deciding whether to destroy the Daleks at the cost of also destroying the human race, and I think it's a useful bit of setup before we get to that point to hint that he's capable of it by having him talk about how killers think and Margaret to say "only a killer would know that". Now that I think about it, "killer or coward" is precisely how the dilemma in the finale will be framed

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

McGann posted:

It's a shame they had to call that season Flux, because right around that time someone got me a copy of the Doctor Who Fluxx card game (https://www.looneylabs.com/games/doctor-who-fluxx) which has sat, unused, in my game collection since received.

Partly due to it taking an act of god to get me to try a new game out (or play one in general) these days, but I'd love to blame some of it on the poor name coincidence.

Fluxx is generally judged as being liked by those with a particular palate. If (as above poster says), chaos, chance and unfair broken situations is fun and OK then hell yeah. Many board game hobbists see themselves as above such silliness and prefer board games where they actually have some semblance of control over what happens. Flux games are basically rolling a dice to see who wins in a very convoluted manner. I love them! But it *can* get old quick for many, which is understandable.

The next step towards an 'actual game' (whatever that means) would be doctor who themed munchkin which,,,, hmm after googling,,, surprisingly doesn't exist.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Agree with all the comments so far - Fluxx is a fun social activity, but it's not a good GAME. It's Calvinball with cards.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

2house2fly posted:

According to tvtropes "red bicycle when you were 12" is a remnant of some cut plotline about the Doctor messing about in Rose's past?!??!? Sounds unlikely, but if it ever was planned it's good they didn't go through with it.

This was replacing some other planned episode that fell through, so I've heard before.

Boom Town replaced one to be written by Paul Abbott, which would have had the "messing around in Rose's past" stuff. It sounded awful, even though I'm not a fan of Boom Town.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Boom Town replaced one to be written by Paul Abbott, which would have had the "messing around in Rose's past" stuff. It sounded awful, even though I'm not a fan of Boom Town.

It sounds very similar to Moffat's Continuity Errors -- which later formed the basis of A Christmas Carol.

Edit: for those of you who've never read the short story, essentially the Doctor doesn't want to pay an overdue fee for his library book so he repeatedly goes back in time and messes with a mean librarian's personal life until she effectively receives a new personality that will let the Doctor off.

This is, obviously deeply horrific. There's a BF play that's a response to this plot written by James Goss, which is excellent. Essentially the Doctor does the exact same thing to his therapist (played, in a coincidence, by Annette Badland) and she's horrified.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 16, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We never learned what that Stephen Fry script would have been, did we?

mclem
Oct 2, 2021

McGann posted:

By all reasonable metrics Fluxx is a *terrible* game. But despite that, with the right audience it can be a ton of fun.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

We never learned what that Stephen Fry script would have been, did we?

It was an adaptation of the Green Knight legend, giving it an alien origin.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Open Source Idiom posted:

It sounds very similar to Moffat's Continuity Errors -- which later formed the basis of A Christmas Carol.

Edit: for those of you who've never read the short story, essentially the Doctor doesn't want to pay an overdue fee for his library book so he repeatedly goes back in time and messes with a mean librarian's personal life until she effectively receives a new personality that will let the Doctor off.

This is, obviously deeply horrific. There's a BF play that's a response to this plot written by James Goss, which is excellent. Essentially the Doctor does the exact same thing to his therapist (played, in a coincidence, by Annette Badland) and she's horrified.

https://tardis.wiki/wiki/Asking_for_a_Friend_(audio_story)

I should really dig into the Benny+Unbound stuff huh?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, that's the one, and yeah it's excellent. The one after it stars a pre-Hollywood breakout Jonathan Bailey in an Invasion of the Bodysnatchers satire that pivots into being about the horrors of settler colonialism and it's also excellent.

Honestly, all the Further Adventures Of Bernice Summerfield sets are really good -- except perhaps the one that's all written by competition winners, unfortunately.

The two with the seventh doctor and ace are fantastic too. Pretty much the only fresh take on the Daleks in a decade. I could genuinely go on about them for ages.

Euugh, I might even do write ups for them, maybe some of the Torchwoods, if the thread's into it. But I dunno if I'd do it so close to the new season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Effortless charm
https://twitter.com/ew/status/1780265037455851861

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wonder what it means the time he froze the clock at was exactly happy hour in CST.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 13 Episode 1: The Halloween Apocalypse
Written by Chris Chibnall, Directed by Jamie Magnus Stone

The Doctor posted:

The end of the universe. I always wondered what it would feel like.

Wow, this episode has everything! (derogatory)

The problem with doing write-ups of episodes so long after their initial airing is that it's hard to recapture whatever sense I might have had on the initial airing. There is a lot to like about this episode as a standalone, in it's own moment, thing. But that's because at the time of initial airing, we didn't know what was to come, how it would be resolved, what would work and what wouldn't etc. I mean, we probably suspected but you have to keep an open mind.

But revisiting it after not only the season was done, but Chibnall's run on the show was over, it's hard not to watch this episode and think about where it DID go, what WAS to come, how it DID get resolved, what worked and absolutely did not etc. As a result, if the viewer wasn't overall satisfied then the flaws stand out all the more, just as the bright spots would shine all the brighter if the end result had been a triumph. You could nitpick Day of the Doctor to death, for instance, but nobody wants to because everybody loving loved that story and it was a beautiful miracle, and any and all problems and concerns that cropped up during it were happily swatted away.

Flux is an attempt by Chris Chibnall to take a season only half as long as its preceding ones and to use that reduced runtime to essentially tell an old school Classic Doctor Who serial in six (double-sized) parts. With the ongoing problems around COVID, the episode order had been reduced (and at one point, Doctor Who as a series was effectively canceled - albeit for like an hour - and only saved by some scrambling, including Chibnall and Whittaker turning down offers of other jobs because they knew that would end things, much like JNT stayed on far too long because he knew the show was on the verge of cancellation. At just under 5.5 hours, it's just over an hour longer than The War Games, a classic 2nd Doctor story that wrapped up Patrick Troughton's time on the show to usher in a new era under Jon Pertwee (with Jo Martin sneaking in-between! :byodame:). This was intended to be an EVENT, with promo material featuring a Sontaran ship being projected over Liverpool, the Doctor Who social media accounts being taken offline, and teasers of the Doctor warning everybody that The Flux was coming!

The end result throws a lot of things at the wall, compressing it all into a very tight time-frame, and like a lot of what Chibnall produced, you can see the seeds of what he was trying to do and even admire the guts it took to do it. In the end he didn't quite pull it off, but in this episode a ton of subplots, characters, monsters returning and new, character developments and implications about the Doctor's own past are thrown into the mix not purely for their own sake, but to set the stage for what would unfold over the following five weeks. It didn't QUITE get there, in the end, the whole thing would eventually fall apart under its own weight, not helped by one of the foundational materials being The Timeless Child concept, an idea that even Chibnall himself seemed to realize had no legs as when he finally reached the moment of truth he blinked and kicked the can down the road for some other poor showrunner to death with. Though surely you'd have to be some kind of glorious Welsh Giant to make chicken salad from that chicken poo poo, and how likely is that!?!

https://i.imgur.com/028IntQ.mp4

Here's a brief (and breathless) rundown of what happens in this episode:

The Doctor and Yaz are caught in a trap by an alien that declares it is going to Earth so they escape and chase it but the Doctor has a vision of a skeleton man escaping space prison and in Liverpool Dan is a good bloke who loves Liverpool A LOT and he's got a date and he works at a food bank and he goes home for Halloween and he gets taken prisoner by the alien from before who is actually a very good dog and his house gets shrunk when the Doctor and Yaz show up and they meet a lady who knows them from their future and she gets taken by a Weeping Angel and Yaz rescues Dan while the Doctor confronts the good doggy and finds out the Flux is coming and it destroys some planets watched by a dude on monitor duty who escapes his watch station and the skeleton man goes to the Arctic and kills a guy and his wife turns out to be the Skeleton man's Skeleton sister only she didn't know but also she did? and the Doctor tells the good doggy to make the other good doggies protect Earth from the Flux with their spaceships and the Skeleton Man's Skeleton sister kidnaps Dan's date for some reason and oh yeah I forgot there's something wrong with the TARDIS and the Doctor has it shoot some energy out at the Flux but it doesn't do anything and also the Sontarans apparently knew about the Flux as well and the Flux comes into the TARDIS and also Joseph Williamson is in the past in Liverpool building tunnels.

https://i.imgur.com/pRQbZdy.mp4

The episode is just trying to do a bit too much, but it's all in service of things that will happen in future episodes. There will be an episode (and more) with the Sontarans, redesigned to be closer to their older classic series look though still maintaining most of their comedic tone from the revival, which somewhat undercuts how seriously this season wants us to take them at times. There will be an episode with Weeping Angels, which is perhaps the most generally well-liked and well-received episode of the season. There will be the Sugar Skull Gang (Skeleton Man and his Skeleton Sister, also known by the more boring names of Swarm and Azure) trolling their way through the entire season having a GRAND old time, which ultimately goes nowhere and doesn't achieve anything but at least is entertaining. Joseph Williamson, a well-known "eccentric" (that's rich-people talk for being batshit crazy) building his tunnels in Liverpool which will impact on the final episode. The man in the watch station, Vinder, will have a whole subplot about his efforts to reunite with his pregnant wife, as well as his animosity towards a character not even introduced yet who is supposed to play a major role as about the 5th in a series of ultimate antagonists. There's the introduction of Dan as a new companion, the whole backstory between the Doctor and the good Doggy, the ongoing development of a non-relationship between the Doctor and Yaz. There's even Daleks and Cybermen! Plus of course, looming over everything like an unwelcome stench, the Timeless Child nonsense just waiting to butt its head in and ruin everything.

https://i.imgur.com/ZqgzygE.mp4

But when looked at an episode in its own right, it's hard to say what this episode actually is beyond setup. Which is fine when you're setting the stage for an overall story, but part of the appeal of Doctor Who is that - even in the classic era - an episode could stand by itself even if its ultimate goal was to get you from the end of one episode through to the start of another. Making this a serial story creates a situation where this episode really only works as part 1 of a 6-part story, and not really an episode in its own right. It's got plenty of good parts to it, John Bishop in particular has an easy charm and likeability that shines through in his role as Dan, and the quick rapport he builds with Yaz is a welcome change after she seemed to be very much the third wheel to Graham and Ryan.

Yaz herself has absolutely embraced life with the Doctor just like she clearly wanted to at the end of the last season, demonstrating a familiarity and ease of use with the TARDIS that other companions never mastered, even little swots like Adric. Which makes her continued disgruntlement at the Doctor still not sharing her obvious concerns and fears with her rankle all the more. I had high hopes for this development when it first started, of her clear desire for her relationship with the Doctor to be something more and deeper than the Doctor had with the others (now gone). But one of those hopes was that the relationship wouldn't fall into the now well-overused trap of a companion falling for the Doctor.

I had hoped that, if Yaz was feeling attraction for the Doctor, it would actually be part of a somewhat more healthy acceptance/realization or even final liberating celebration of realizing she was homosexual. There have been the barest glimpses in Yaz's sadly anemic character development that she had some dark moments and depression in her past, and part of that seemed to be tied into feeling some sense of guilt or fear, perhaps around her upbringing or fear of exclusion (her family seem loving and open-minded, but we also see very little of them). I thought this might be leading to Yaz finding the freedom to be completely open with who she was, so the fact it ends up going back to the same old "I've fallen in love with the Doctor" well was a bit disappointing. But still, at least it gave Yaz SOMETHING to do!

https://i.imgur.com/JjpFTSP.mp4
Maybe it's unfair, but this kinda feels kinda... on the nose?

Still, taking the episode on its merits for its intended purpose, then it's designed to make the viewer interested or at least curious about who or what is behind The Flux, if anybody/thing is behind it at all. What IS The Flux? Beyond a massive wave of astonishing destruction that wipes out everything in its path? By showcasing so many different characters, monsters, entities and forces it raises the question on if they are the ones behind it or simply taking advantage. The clearest apparent mastermind would be Swarm, who appears to be a very long-lived, very patient, very monstrous character whose own powers including seemingly being able to disintegrate people and absorb their essence. Is the Flux then just an externalization of that power? But if that power could be contained so easily, then why is it something beyond the Doctor's capability to understand or fight back against? Why is the Doctor so unaware of it in the first place? Particularly when other forces - including the Sontaran's for God's sake! - are apparently aware of it.

Also, is it unstoppable or not? The good doggy's people apparently have billions of spaceships that have all been designed to "withstand" the Flux... and they do! The Doctor on the fly programs in a hyper complicated pattern for them to combine into (it's a sphere, it was a sphere) and the Earth is defended from the onslaught of the Flux... so then it must be a known thing, right? If it is a known thing, then it is something that has been long in coming, is well known and can be prepared for. So why was it only the good doggy's race that was aware of it (apart from, again, the loving Sontarans! And I guess the Weeping Angels too?) and wouldn't this be handy information to share with the Universe? Indeed, the doggy seems surprised when the Doctor has no idea what the Flux is, and if it is putting an end to the Universe then isn't this something the Doctor should be aware of? And if she isn't, then it implies a power on an order of magnitude beyond any we've seen on display, even from Swarm. This would appear to be power on a level unseen since the Time War, if then, and by the end of the first episode you're supposed to feel like the Doctor is in danger on a level she's never before encountered.

https://i.imgur.com/8K280tc.mp4

We know with the benefit of hindsight exactly where this was all going, unfortunately. But trying to put myself back into the shoes of seeing it for the first time without that knowledge, then the episode works as a 1st part... for the most part. By itself it's a mess, with too much packed in, too much going on, and none of it really seeming to gel together. But that isn't what it was trying to do, for better or worse. This first episode of the Flux "season" was about telling us what to expect for the rest of the season. Over the next 5 episodes, the Doctor would first work to deal with the immediate aftermath of the Flux, then aim to put a stop to it. Along the way there would be plenty of distractions and an odd feeling of detachment from the seemingly immeasurable loss and devastation the Flux must have caused. Everything would be sidelined with Timeless Child nonsense, the last dying gasps of Chibnall's efforts to rewrite and recreate the Doctor's "origin" before he finally seemed to just give it up as something that nobody could possibly do anything with (RTD proceeded to IMMEDIATELY do something interesting with it), leaving the whole thing feel like a waste of time and the Flux itself ultimately forgotten.

I love Doctor Who, it's a series I grew up with and which I have struck with through the dizzying highs and the depressing lows. I still rate Jodie Whittaker as an actor, and I can appreciate what Chibnall was TRYING to do. But he joins the likes of Eric Saward and John Nathan Turner as people who just couldn't quite make the show they wanted to, whose vision couldn't quite mesh or align with those of many viewers (I'm sure all of them have their champions in fans in places). By the time of the Flux, I was mostly just hoping for Chibnall to move on and that Whittaker would stay and get another chance under a different showrunner. That didn't happen, she had good reasons to leave with Chibnall who has been nothing but a great friend and an utter boon to her career, and by all accounts their staying for Flux and the three specials is why we still have Doctor Who to this day. A more cynical read would be that it wouldn't have been in trouble in the first place if Chibnall had been a stronger showrunner, but who can really say how ANYBODY would have handled the pressures of making Doctor Who under COVID.

Still, during Flux Jodie Whittaker continued a fine tradition started by those wonderful chaps (all of them) who preceded her, and doing her utmost to produce the best performance she could with the material she had to work with. The result is a final season that had plenty of problems, but also did some good and interesting things, and as always she was right there at the heart of it.

https://i.imgur.com/wYcWrVs.mp4

Index of Doctor Who Write-ups for Television Episodes/Big Finish Audio Stories.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 17, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I almost don't want to post this because it seems like nitpicking but I can assure you it is anything but - John Noble is the guy who plays Walter Bishop in Fringe, John BISHOP is the one in Flux (so I think you might have go surnames crosswired).

And the reason this is not nitpicking is because the idea of John Noble playing Walter Bishop as a Doctor Who companion is absolutley amazing and I would like RTD or Big Finish to arrange that for me, please.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That is an incredible mistake to make, ahaha :doh:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I remember my reaction to that episode being mainly irritation that all the disparate elements were actually not that interesting as a sneak peek of upcoming thrills. They had no real satisfying purpose EXCEPT to hint at something coming later, and by now I knew Chibnall did not have the strength of writing to actually deliver on any of it (although I wasn't prepared for exactly seisimcally he dropped the ball on it. I honestly yelled, "is that loving it!?" at the telly for the resolution of the loving prophesied tunnels that had been mentioned in every episode).

I did enjoy the relationship between Dan and the doggy, though, I remember giving Chibnall that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He was a very good doggy :shobon:

I don't think I've ever turned around so quickly on being disinterested in a character to immediately liking them as I was when he pulled off his dumb mask and there was a very good boy (yes he is! Yes he IS!) staring at Dan :allears:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Doctor Who is the cover feature in SFX magazine this month. Interview with RTD, Ncuti and Millie has spoilers.

First of all, can we please put the tabloid rumours about Millie to bed?
RTD: Not leaving. Not at all. We were ordered for two years of a series off Disney, and we're delivering two years, and the Ruby Sunday story literally spans those two years. We are planning [to] shoot the [season two] finale in which Ruby has the most magnificent scenes, and Millie, it's some of your most challenging material yet, isn't it? It will all make sense once you see it play out. It's very unfortunate that these things make the papers.

We're in a very difficult position, because you can't answer rumour, you can't speak to rumour, we can't try and pin it down because the internet will just run away and will either misinterpret or will decide that the Princess of Wales has been replaced by four cats in a wig.

So it's that you cannot begin to answer this sort of stuff. But you will see the love that we have for Millie and the extraordinary stories that Ruby's about to go on over the next two years. I guarantee you that.

That is a problem with shooting the second series while you're still doing the first series.
All sorts of problems can happen that way that we saw coming, but what do we do? Stop shooting? No. We're making such a good show.

I'm burning for people to see the story of Ruby Sunday. It's amazing and has so much mileage in it. And it's still burning. It's wonderful. I can't wait for you to see it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm so excited for the new season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Less than a month to go!

I believe this is the longest anybody has ever had to wait for a new episode of Doctor Who ever in the history of the universe, and it's very upsetting.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Absolutely yes! That particular story is amazing and so full of understated emotion, along with some very clearly stated emotion.

In particular I think it really helps for the doctor /companion bickering friendship interaction that the two actors were actually in that type of relationship - listening to them always felt like I was peeking into their personal life a bit, they handle that " I'm upset at you but I still really care about you" and " You are annoying the poo poo out of me but I still really care about you" stuff incredibly well.

Probably because that's how couples couple (platonic or otherwise) and I appreciate it

Rip David Warner, you're my GOAT audio doc (sorry Paul, it's a fact)

Edit also from that series is "truant", which is one of my favorite low stakes, fun, mostly self contained stories. It's the doctor, at president of the universe, running away for a brief Adventure vacation, with Benny being tasked to bring him back to work.

OK I'm gonna re listen to that one today, thank you

McGann fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 17, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Edit also from that series is "truant", which is one of my favorite low stakes, fun, mostly self contained stories. It's the doctor, at president of the universe, running away for a brief Adventure vacation, with Benny being tasked to bring him back to work.

That's the bodysnatchers one! It's so good

Planet X is another great one, a cyberman story (clue is in the name) that's really creepy and uncanny.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Less than a month to go!

I believe this is the longest anybody has ever had to wait for a new episode of Doctor Who ever in the history of the universe, and it's very upsetting.
Believe it or not, once people had to wait for 18 months. That was too long...

Re: Flux/Halloween Apocalypse, two things bug the heck out of me in this episode:

- Dan's doggo puts Yaz in a deathtrap. Shouldn't Yaz's doggo have... opinions about this? Sure, maybe the doggos are only meant to defend humans against certain kinds of threat, but actively killing each others' humans (or putting them at very high risk of death) feels like it's a massive erosion of that responsibility.

- Yaz doesn't know why she's in the deathtrap or what the Doctor is investigating. She doesn't know about the Division/Timeless Child stuff, and unless I overlooked or forgot a conversation at some point between here and the end of her run on the show, she never finds out. Yaz is going to spend the entirety of Flux having no goddamn idea what she's doing there. Sure the Doctor's always been a bit prone to "I'll explain it later" syndrome, but they usually explain at some point, especially if they are asking someone to risk their life.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's the bodysnatchers one! It's so good

Planet X is another great one, a cyberman story (clue is in the name) that's really creepy and uncanny.

OH YEA! I read your description and didn't connect the plot...but yea, it IS a bodysnatcher story. It's a neat little twist on the concept and I should add it's pretty fun in itself.

The actors they get involved really understand the characters/vibe its going for, and you can tell they have an absolute BLAST.

"Planet of the idiots, more likely"

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Warthur posted:

Believe it or not, once people had to wait for 18 months. That was too long...

Re: Flux/Halloween Apocalypse, two things bug the heck out of me in this episode:

- Dan's doggo puts Yaz in a deathtrap. Shouldn't Yaz's doggo have... opinions about this? Sure, maybe the doggos are only meant to defend humans against certain kinds of threat, but actively killing each others' humans (or putting them at very high risk of death) feels like it's a massive erosion of that responsibility.

I loved the loopy high concept of everyone having a guardian doggy. But then Chibnall, true to form, does absolutely no thinking at all about what the high concept means, what it implies, and what can be done with it. There is absolutely no thought put into the idea or demonstration of it, such that it makes more sense that the wider suggestion is just a lie and it's Dan's doggy alone that looks out for him.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah if you think about the concept for even a minute it all breaks down.

Oh you're species-bonded with humanity and each human gets their very own Space Dog to protect them?
So why do the dogs let bad things happen to their human?

Coward posted:

the wider suggestion is just a lie and it's Dan's doggy alone that looks out for him.

A bit of spit shine to the script would have them "Only appearing before humanity in a time of great need, and this event wasn't forseen" or something similar.

Or hell, have the Fluxx be THE event which causes the species-bond, and Dan's dog lets the charge - giving Dan incredible agency in plot.

It's just so loving odd, cause there IS good bits of writing in the Fluxx. They're just buried within absolutely terrible episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTVYS98XtaI

"OH! Am I right? Cause you look really cross!"

13 firing on all cylinders :allears:

Jerusalem posted:

Less than a month to go!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Infinitum posted:

It's just so loving odd, cause there IS good bits of writing in the Fluxx. They're just buried within absolutely terrible episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTVYS98XtaI

"OH! Am I right? Cause you look really cross!"

13 firing on all cylinders :allears:

HUH! That is a good bit! That’s one of those moments that just make you wonder where this Doctor has been hiding for the previous 2 seasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor COMPLETELY turning the tables on the Grand Serpent and just refusing to give him any respect or show even an iota of fear, just tapdancing all over his battered ego in spite of being HIS prisoner is an absolutely golden moment, yeah.

Warthur posted:

I don't think it's ever explicitly put out there in the show, but I think the idea is supposed to be that when we eventually learn the good doggy used to pal around with the Doctor, that it means this introductory scene was one where he was actually fully aware she would escape the "inescapable" death trap so Yaz herself was never really in any actual danger, and maybe he even assumed the Doctor was just playing along to keep up appearances and that she knew about their past as well. Which doesn't excuse it, and it never gets admitted to or even referenced (that I recall), but the good doggy seems to be surprised to discover that the Doctor REALLY doesn't remember him at all, assuming that of course the Doctor would always figure out a way to remember things that had been stripped from her.

Warthur posted:

- Yaz doesn't know why she's in the deathtrap or what the Doctor is investigating. She doesn't know about the Division/Timeless Child stuff, and unless I overlooked or forgot a conversation at some point between here and the end of her run on the show, she never finds out. Yaz is going to spend the entirety of Flux having no goddamn idea what she's doing there. Sure the Doctor's always been a bit prone to "I'll explain it later" syndrome, but they usually explain at some point, especially if they are asking someone to risk their life.

I actually forgot to mention that she waits till she's alone with him to confront him about THE DIVISION, because I actually forgot it happened, because, and I cannot stress this enough, I simply cannot and will not and refuse to give the slightest poo poo about the loving Division or the Timeless Child (at least as written by Chibnall). It seems Chibnall decided to forget too that there was a whole running subplot of Yaz demanding the Doctor be more open with her, which got subsumed by the "Yaz realizes she is in love with the Doctor" plot.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Yeah if you think about the concept for even a minute it all breaks down.

Oh you're species-bonded with humanity and each human gets their very own Space Dog to protect them?
So why do the dogs let bad things happen to their human?
Yeah, it's best not to ask about what happened to the space doggos during the Holocaust.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think it's ever explicitly put out there in the show, but I think the idea is supposed to be that when we eventually learn the good doggy used to pal around with the Doctor, that it means this introductory scene was one where he was actually fully aware she would escape the "inescapable" death trap so Yaz herself was never really in any actual danger, and maybe he even assumed the Doctor was just playing along to keep up appearances and that she knew about their past as well. Which doesn't excuse it, and it never gets admitted to or even referenced (that I recall), but the good doggy seems to be surprised to discover that the Doctor REALLY doesn't remember him at all, assuming that of course the Doctor would always figure out a way to remember things that had been stripped from her.

Right - but equally the Division is meant to be very, very hush-hush, so it feels like a stretch that Yaz's space doggo would have picked up on that or regard Yaz as not being in danger at all.

Also, how does the pairing work? Does this all mean that the Doctor's Division days all unfolded in Dan's lifetime, because the doggo and human are always paired, or can doggos move on to other humans after they negligently let their human die?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Warthur posted:

Right - but equally the Division is meant to be very, very hush-hush, so it feels like a stretch that Yaz's space doggo would have picked up on that or regard Yaz as not being in danger at all.

Also, how does the pairing work? Does this all mean that the Doctor's Division days all unfolded in Dan's lifetime, because the doggo and human are always paired, or can doggos move on to other humans after they negligently let their human die?

I am impressed you are going that far. As soon as I realised that the concept had not been thought about in any way, and genuinely had no bearing at all on the story ir characters, I stopped thinking about. Kind of angrily too, since it was such a delightfully and whimsically insane idea.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

assuming that of course the Doctor would always figure out a way to remember things that had been stripped from her.

Forget remembering their time in the Division

What would happen if they suddenly remembered all the Big Finish audios they forgot about? Meeting how many other (new) Doctors and Masters? All those run-ins with River?

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1780914177453789211

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I didn't like the "dog for every person" thing because not everyone is a dog person. I got attacked by a dog as a kid so I've always been pretty indifferent towards dogs (which seems to make some dogs more interested in me?) and I could name all the specific dogs I like that I've met on one or two hands (friends/family nice ones who never jump on me). I loved our family Husky though RIP.

I did like the guardian dog concept however! I just think it would've worked better if they were the guardians of Earth in general instead of a constantly churning mass of 8 billion people each having their own dogman ready to go. Like as if the Earth were it's favourite chew toy or the mega human they protect collectively. Just snap and growl at anyone who comes near or touched the doggie bowl.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The guardian doggos is a concept that would be tough to pull off for a good writer, so Chibnall had no chance. It raises all sorts of obvious questions that are blaring in the viewer's face and there's nothing about them that pulls the viewer in and lets them excuse the problems.

I'm trying to think how RTD would handle the concept since he likes the weird and goofy enough to actually do something like that and I think there's a few obvious options:

1. It's a recent thing that the Doctor and companions missed out on. No questions about were they were when every bad thing ever happened occurred, and it gives the characters an in where they go, "This is weird but kind of neat."

2. The story doesn't use them as a prop which the Doctor will grab and discard. The story focuses on the emotional bond between the dogs and their charges. Maybe the Doctor gets a dog, too, for some wacky hijinks.

3. Things are mostly reset at the end, the dogs move on to another planet to protect but maybe some are left behind and there's a few people with guardian dogs out there.

Not the only options and not necessarily a good story, but that gives them something to hang on instead of this pointless mess.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Khanstant posted:

I didn't like the "dog for every person" thing because not everyone is a dog person. I got attacked by a dog as a kid so I've always been pretty indifferent towards dogs (which seems to make some dogs more interested in me?) and I could name all the specific dogs I like that I've met on one or two hands (friends/family nice ones who never jump on me). I loved our family Husky though RIP.

I did like the guardian dog concept however! I just think it would've worked better if they were the guardians of Earth in general instead of a constantly churning mass of 8 billion people each having their own dogman ready to go. Like as if the Earth were it's favourite chew toy or the mega human they protect collectively. Just snap and growl at anyone who comes near or touched the doggie bowl.

Some times the guardian dog you need is a guardian cat.

https://youtu.be/ckDVpihCPq8?si=qFkuDlA9GVU7e2Mn

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://ew.com/doctor-who-ncuti-gatwa-cover-story-8633590

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1780325519432577400

quote:

The show had its writer; now, it needed its Doctor. Davies says he searched the galaxy, auditioning men, women, and nonbinary actors from “all sorts of diverse backgrounds.” Gatwa was the very last actor to read, and his involvement came with a sort of serendipity: Just one week earlier, unprompted, he had texted his agent to say that he’d like to tackle a project like Doctor Who someday. When he heard the show was actually casting, he threw himself into research, locking himself in his house and rewatching as much of the revival series as he could. From about 6 in the morning until 6 at night, he binged every episode of Eccleston’s and Tennant’s runs, paying particular attention to Davies’ signature blend of heart, humor, and sci-fi thrills. “I just fell in love with it,” Gatwa explains. “It was so easy to put my phone in airplane mode and just not reply to anyone because this show was taking all my attention.”

But even after all that prep, Gatwa still approached his audition with tempered expectations. “I mean, this is a show that has been running in our country for 60 years,” he explains. “It’s like a British institution. And I just didn’t…” He pauses. “This isn’t in a self-deprecating way, but I just didn’t think it was realistic that I would get the offer.” Instead, he decided to treat the audition as a useful acting exercise. Best case scenario, he reasoned, it would be a good excuse to network with Davies. “I was like, ‘I’m never gonna get it, so I might as well just get comfortable in this audition," he explains. “I took my shoes off and did it a bunch of different ways.”

Davies knew immediately that he had found his next Doctor, and he had to restrain himself from offering Gatwa the role on the spot. “We spent the next week hoping and praying that he hadn’t been offered another job,” Davies says. “That’s the worry: You think anyone that good is being asked to be James Bond at the same time, or he’s got some writers creating their own series.” He remembers literally crossing his fingers as he waited for Gatwa’s response, thinking to himself, Please, please, please.

Gatwa got the call from his agent just as he was about to walk into his local barber shop. “I just put the phone down and didn’t think about it for about a week,” he says, shaking his head. “The concept that was proposed to me was so meta that I was like, What? There’s no way. I can’t even think about this. I need to do my laundry!” After a week of consideration, he finally felt ready to give an answer: “Eventually, I was like, ‘F---ing hell, I think I might be Doctor Who!’” Gatwa says with a grin. “‘Yes, I’m ready to accept! It’s a no-brainer!’ But it took me about a week to wrap my head around how huge that concept was.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"loving hell, I think I might be Doctor Who!"

:hellyeah: