Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

"loving hell, I think I might be Doctor Who!"

:hellyeah:

That was the best part of Family of Blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Warthur posted:

Yeah, it's best not to ask about what happened to the space doggos during the Holocaust.

The minions and the space doggos, awkwardly sharing drinks at a bar somewhere in space in time as they pretend nothing is happening on Earth during X event.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Has anyone here watched the CBS show Elsbeth? It's a spin-off from the Robert & Michelle King tv empire that started with the Good Wife. Basically it's a Columbo-shaped procedural about an out-of-town former defense attorney who comes to New York as a "police for the police", someone who watches investigations and makes sure the cops do their job right, but she turns out to be super good/nearly omniscient about remarking stuff.

I'm asking because Carrie Preston in the show has a demeanor that I could only describe as "Thirteen Doctor but well written" energy?

She's a bit too nice, but an inquisitive oddball who's way smarter than she lets on. There's something interesting about her supporting cast who are all closed off and guarded but eventually warm up to her. Anyways, despite her facing off against New York theater actors every week, it's a bit like seeing a version of that Doctor that could've worked. Also, she pulls off some cool nearly-Doctorish outfits.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Also I wonder if any story outside the show ever addressed Jack's amnesia?

Not much, but there is Month 25 from Big Finish's Lives of Captain Jack, which reveals he was an assassin for the secret Council that actually calls the shots at the Time Agency, and they wiped his memory to cover up any ties connecting him or them back to those assassinations.

Tbh I think for the most part writers who could've expanded on it concluded that it doesn't really matter why he lost 2 years, just that he did, and that that killed his trust in the Agency as we're told in the show.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ect0_cooler/status/1782136609514692989

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
“Seventh Doctor / McCoy fans have officially won!”

In what universe my dude

If anything the mere association with Young Sheldon will set us McCoyHeads back decades.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“Seventh Doctor / McCoy fans have officially won!”

In what universe my dude

If anything the mere association with Young Sheldon will set us McCoyHeads back decades.

I realise this is a bit Jordan Peterson but... what do they mean "officially"? What do they mean "Won"?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's just some random nerd on twitter

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hey, he's got "productions" in his username and he used the word "officially."

I'm sure he's not just some guy reposting tiktoks of someone filming their television screen with their phones.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I know, but I'm still oddly fascinated to know what he thinks has been won. It seems a mindset antithetical to basically any Who fan I've ever encountered. Most of us talk about who "our" Doctor is rather than who the "best" one is, and people often go out of their way to be nice about stuff that's actively bad. "I win!" is confusing in that context.

Well other than "it's the internet and there's always weirdos".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He's also completely mystified by the concept that Davros being in the chair may have been insensitive. Twitter randos are one step above the comments section, especially since the platform got gutted and hides half of itself if you're not logged in.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
After how underwhelming Ravenous 1 was, let's move onto Ravenous 2! It's much better.

Escape from Kaldor - the Robots of Death is very good, isn't it? Kaldor is one of the most interesting cultures we saw in classic Who - Liv being from there, rather than Earth has come up a few times in different stories (most notably her debut story), but there's not been much exploration of what that means. By having Liv reunite with her sister, we not only get a backdoor pilot for another spin-off, but a fun revisit to Kaldor, and another excellent bit of character development for Liv.

Better Watch Out sees The Doctor take Liv and Helen to Salzburg for a Christmas break. McGann plays this with an utterly infectous joy. It's great. Then it becomes a mix of A Christmas Carol and The Evil Dead when the Krampus shows up - it's actually rather disturbing in places.

Fairytale of Salzburg continues the story with a brillantly insane (or insanely brillant) conclusion, that twists the horror of the first part on its head. Helen really gets to shine here, and its nice to see her save the day, after being a bit passive and naive in earlier stories.

Seizure finally introduces the Ravenous - a race that feeds on Time Lords. The Doctor and The Eleven are trapped on a dying TARDIS that's desperately trying to keep its pilot alive. We get to hear something we don't get to hear much - the Doctor utterly terrified, and McGann sells it. We've heard his Doctor joyful, angry, broken, sarcastic...but never so scared. The Ravenous has a great monologue about hunger, but it feels like only the seeds have been sown so far.

In all, a much stronger set.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I’m slowly rewatching oldnewwho and am on series 5 at the moment. The angels two-parter is excellent, but that final scene with horned-up Amy is so out of place for what is essentially a 'family' show.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Series 5 Amy is thirsty AF for the Doctor, yeah

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Creature posted:

I’m slowly rewatching oldnewwho and am on series 5 at the moment. The angels two-parter is excellent, but that final scene with horned-up Amy is so out of place for what is essentially a 'family' show.

Moffat is on record as regretting that scene.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Creature posted:

Throwing in a sexual assault scene for laughs is certainly a thing that happens occasionally during the Smith years but at least early on he's the victim instead of the perpetrator.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

Throwing in a sexual assault scene for laughs is certainly a thing that happens occasionally during the Smith years but at least early on he's the victim instead of the perpetrator.

I doubt Moffat saw it like that when he wrote that bit.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Creature posted:

I’m slowly rewatching newoldwho and am on series 23 at the moment. The Vervoids four-parter is, but is so out of place for

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

I doubt Moffat saw it like that when he wrote that bit.

Well that's the problem yes

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

Well that's the problem yes

The world was very different back in... 2010. Oh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Moffat was always kind of a sexist throwback. Attitudes from his time writing for Coupling come across in a lot of his Doctor Who -- particularly early on -- and it's unsurprising that he'd think he's the perfect writer to be handling cancel culture, metoo, etc. etc.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

Warthur posted:

When is he a perpetrator? Genuine question, I can't remember

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
People were not very fond of that bit in The Crimson Horror when Doctor Who dipped Jenny and gave her a big kiss.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Creature posted:

It's tough to know exactly where you draw the line- The Doctor Dances had a whole monologue about how when humans get to space they immediately start loving all the aliens. Sure it was couched in a dancing metaphor, but by the same token all this episode shows is kissing, and one of the people involved isn't even into it. Kids have seen kissing on Doctor Who before. Moffat doesn't like the scene nowadays, and since it's replacing an entirely different scene it seems like he just had no idea how to end the episode right up to filming

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Moffat was always kind of a sexist throwback. Attitudes from his time writing for Coupling come across in a lot of his Doctor Who -- particularly early on -- and it's unsurprising that he'd think he's the perfect writer to be handling cancel culture, metoo, etc. etc.

People forget that Coupling is semi-autobiographical. Steve and Sue are literally meant to be him and Sue Vertue. And while I remember really liking the show, a lot of that is on some very talented performers delivering the dialogue (and I say this as a person who broadly LIKES Moffat's writing for Who)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"Amy is psychosexually compromised and a mess of a person because the Doctor crashed into her life at exactly the wrong time like an episode of Totally Spies" is an interesting character concept but it's just not the right fit for Doctor Who on television. It's the wrong kind of mature subject, better suited to a VNA or maybe one of Big Finish's weirder output lines. Mainly, having the serious conversation it deserves in the aftermath is too slow and too much of a bummer. Amy's Choice is about this, sort of, but not really.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

People forget that Coupling is semi-autobiographical. Steve and Sue are literally meant to be him and Sue Vertue. And while I remember really liking the show, a lot of that is on some very talented performers delivering the dialogue (and I say this as a person who broadly LIKES Moffat's writing for Who)

Moffat owes Richard Coyle especially for making Jeff fun instead of awful.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FreezingInferno posted:

People were not very fond of that bit in The Crimson Horror when Doctor Who dipped Jenny and gave her a big kiss.

Also, this scene, not wonderful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei2quMm4qHk

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FreezingInferno posted:

It also makes it even more obvious that the only reason she and the lizard lady are together is because it makes Moffat horny to think of being in the middle of it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bicyclops posted:

It also makes it even more obvious that the only reason she and the lizard lady are together is because it makes Moffat horny to think of being in the middle of it.

Crimson Horror is also the same episode as Jenny being nude whilst Vastra paints her right?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

There's an exchange in Let's Kill Hitler that really pissed me off that goes something like:

Amy: "Why's River acting so crazy?"
Doctor: "Well, she's a woman." Amy glares at him "Shut up, I'm dying."

It's not something the Doctor would ever say or even think, it's blatantly just Moffat turning to the camera and going "AM I RIGHT FELLAS? BITCHES BE NUTSO"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Reckon if you want to bring Hitler into your fun fantasy show you'd best not employ bigotry as the nucleus for a joke your heroes make, but I'd say the same thing if not using evil historical figures.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There's an exchange in Let's Kill Hitler that really pissed me off that goes something like:

It's not something the Doctor would ever say or even think, it's blatantly just Moffat turning to the camera and going "AM I RIGHT FELLAS? BITCHES BE NUTSO"

Moffat's a gender essentialist, it comes up a lot in his writing.

The Eleventh Doctor has some lads energy to him, which means he'll call the TARDIS "sexy" but we'll never meet the boys.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

He left a stripper out in the cold without a coat for a stag party

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This was taken to an extreme when he made the First Doctor a doddery old sexist/racist like he actually was from the 60s.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

This was taken to an extreme when he made the First Doctor a doddery old sexist/racist like he actually was from the 60s.

He made him worse than he actually was IMHO.

There's a way to do that right, I guess, that the Time Lords are staid traditionalists and haven't learned and only the renegades adjust their thinking of gender (there's even some dialogue along those lines with Twelve!).

Instead it was the laziest way of looking at the past: exaggerating their prejudices so that we can feel better about ourselves. Twice Upon a Time sucks. I do think deadlines made it worse but it's not great that that was his rough draft.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Still rewatching, took a break to watch the Fallout show. Don't know that it was worth it but at least I have a current entertainment thing I can talk about. That and Dune 2.

Bad Wolf / Parting Of The Ways
Pacing is kind of hosed in the first part. Rose realises the gameshow is deadly. Then we cut to the Doctor as, over a period of several minutes, he realises the gameshow is deadly. Then Rose realises the company that runs the games is called Bad Wolf, and then the Doctor realises the same. This is more egregious, as Rose finds out via clunky exposition (btw I'm so used to Paterson Joseph as Johnson in Peep Show that it took me forever to clock that the Weakest Link guy in these episodes is him) while the Doctor finds out nice and organically by reading a sign. At least by the time we get to Jack they start to get silly with it.

I totally forgot that Captain Jack straight up kisses the Doctor. Not played for laughs, not covered up by "I can store oxygen in my lungs" to hold off puritanical complaints, it's a dashing young pulp hero kissing another man before he marches off to die, on BBC1 prime time in 2005. Rusty's gay agenda victorious.

There's a surprising amount of little subversions, including one I somehow managed never to catch before: Jack says the guns on Satellite 5 have special bullets that are effective against Daleks. Sounds like a little bit of technobabble to justify a normal looking gun fight, but OK. Then the Daleks show up and... he lied. The guns do nothing. He said that to get people to fight, because the more people the Daleks have to chew through the longer the Doctor has to complete his weapon. Well he did say he was a con man.

The Daleks mass-bombing the earth two-thirds of the way in feels like it diminishes the stakes a bit. Like the Doctor's choice is whether to sacrifice those people to take out the Daleks, it's less of a choice if the Daleks have taken out most of those people already. Though I guess it lends context to his eventual choice not to- he's so beaten down in the end that he can't bear to extinguish even whatever miserable remnant is left on Earth. Yet again an Eccleston moment that'll later be echoed by a Capaldi one: as he takes his hand off the detonator I half expected him to say "Can't I just lose? Just this once?"

Mad God of Life and Death: MY ED IS KILLIN ME

The Christmas Invasion
I enjoy wild tonal shifts, and this episode has them in spades. Comedy evil Santa aliens, ominous mention of "pilot fish", brief educational aside to teach the kiddies what a pilot fish is, the grim spectacle of the Sycorax invasion and the Doctor's apparent demise, and then the "letting out a breath you didn't know you were holding" moment as the Doctor re-enters the show(signifying this with the aliens suddenly speaking English is so brilliant that I keep forgetting the follow-up reveal that all the Doctor needed this whole time was a cup of tea), sword fights the alien leader and sends them packing, and then topples the British government for an encore. Davies is really good at picking up plot balls and running with them; obviously the Doctor's hand getting cut off is going to be followed up on in spectacular fashion, but also Harriet Jones will be replaced by the Master, whose antics will eventually lead to the Doctor's regeneration. Unseating her is his original sin.
As a fan of early Peter Capaldi when he was playing the Doctor as weird and unfriendly, I love the Doctor taking out the prime minister under circumstances of ambiguous morality (which Moffat would later call back to with the Doctor effectively defeating Rassilon with six words) as well as him weaponising institutionalized misogyny to do it. He knows what buttons to push, and he's nasty enough to push them.

New Earth
This is such a weird way to start a new series: return of a villain from last year, bodyswap episode so your brand new Doctor spends several scenes pretending to be Zoe Wanamaker, the threat of the episode is a plague of shuffling zombies who get stopped by just mixing all the good juices together and spraying it at them. It feels like a mid-season episode thrown together after something else fell through, but it's the premiere!

Wonder what a modern audience would make of the scene where Cassandra-in-Rose's-body kisses the Doctor. At least when Amy did it it was actually her

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I always took the guns thing as maybe Jack had fought Daleks before, but they were pre Time War Daleks that didn't have forcefields.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
We're ravenous for more ravenous. It's time for Ravenous 3!

Deeptime Frontier

After finally meeting a Ravenous last episode, we now get to see what they can do, as they get loose onboard a Time Lord research station. The behind the scenes compare this to Aliens, and it's an apt comparison. Previously, we saw one, now there are loads, and they hunt in packs. We get to see some of their tricks - there's a particuarly nasty one involving regeneration they pull off. A creepy start to the set - plus Liv gets to use her medical skills again.

Companion Piece

In this largely Doctor free episode, Liv and Helen end up with the Eleven's previous self, the Nine, who has created a museum outside of time in order to imprison a complete set of the Doctor's companions. There's some fun cameos with some fan favourites turning up briefly, but the bulk of the story focuses on River, Liv, Helen, Charley and an alternative version of Bliss from before the time war. It's interesting to see River more on the back foot here, rather than the normal playful malnipulator, and continuity is used really well to help aid the story, rather than bog it down.

LEGEND
The Doctor and the Eleven getting stuck in a fairy tale world with the Brothers Grimm should have been great, but this feels a bit flat compared to the two parter from Ravenous 2. Not bad, and there's some interestingly surreal imagery, but it felt like it could dig a bit deeper.

The Odds Against
The Eleven joins the TARDIS crew to search for information about the Ravenous. Liv is not happy about this. To say too much is to give it away, but this has some fun tension caused by the uneasy alliance with the Eleven, and there's a really clever twist on the multi-Time Lord story. A solid ending, but needed more impact on the cliffhanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just over 2 weeks until 2 new episodes of Doctor Who and we can all stop bitching about Chibnall

(We will never stop bitching about Chibnall)