Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The longer Davies remains showrunner, the taller he becomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wonder if we'll ever get an episode with giants. Maybe he will eventually get tall enough he has to crouch in the studio and they either leave him in the shots or digitally remove him.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Khanstant posted:

Wonder if we'll ever get an episode with giants.

I mean, we just got the not things.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Khanstant posted:

Wonder if we'll ever get an episode with giants.

We had an episode with giants in 1964! Granted, they were normal-sized humans and the TARDIS crew were shrunk down to miniature size, but it's all about perspective.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's fun too! I do think Giants have been a part of enough myths and legends, plus several specific UK ones, seems we are overdue for the Doctor casually mentioning some of his biggest friends.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The whole planet of time feels like Chibnall half remembering the VNA lore.

Onto the last set of Ravenous. It's the fourth! Ravenous 4

Whisper

This is a fairly standard Doctor Who story - the twist being that The Doctor, Helen and Liv have the Eleven along for the ride. They think he's trying to stop the Ravenous, instead he wants to help them. Liv is still not happy with the Eleven being around - Helen is up for giving him another chance. Helen comes across as idealistic to the point of naiviety here: she's already been tricked by Time Lords twice (and one of those times, it was by the Eleven!). Liv decides to pull a gun on the Eleven. It doesn't go well.

Planet of Dust

Here's where things get interesting. Way back in Dust Breeding, Big Finish couldn't get Anthony Ainely to play The Master on audio - instead they got Geoffery Beevers back, saying that the Tremas body had rotted back to his decayed form. It's a retcon that has given them some fun ideas to play with - no matter what the Decayed Master does, eventually it always fails. We meet The Master at the very end of his lifespan: this is long after the Bruce body has failed. Rather than being charming and playful, this time the Master is desperate. The Doctor accidentally leads the Ravenous to him...who devour him and drain the TARDIS.

McGann and Beevers knock this out of the park - the complicated relationship between The Doctor and The Master has always being interesting, and this is horrifying...yet oddly touching. The Master realising that this is finally it, before telling The Doctor to avenge him is harrowing, as is the Doctor's horror at realising that not only can he not feel The Master's presence anymore, but the fact that the TARDIS is in agony (we've seen Eight at low points before, but him fruitlessly demanding to go back and save "her" from the Ravenous is a punch). Then there's the paradox - Eight and Liv have already met a future Master. Speaking of...

Day of the Master

Time for the finale! And its a multi-Master story! Rather cleverly, to avoid having to wipe mind the Doctor to keep the canon in line, everyone is sent off with a different Master: Eight and Bruce, Liv and War and Helen and War. These pairings are utterly fantastic, and the actors drain every last drop out of it.

It's a very statisfying story that gives the Reborn Master an origin story, shows us the origin of Ravenous and ties everything together. The moment when you realise the solution to the problem was set up in an earlier box set is very statisfying, and we get an ending to the Eleven. The cliffhanger of the badly damaged TARDIS crashing could have been a bit more impactful, though.

Overall, Ravenous was uneven, especially the first boxset, but picked up and ended on a real high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New thread, etc.