Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

God I absolutely love this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVJDd5vHfw

"Hello, sweetie."

Also a huge fan of,"I'm an archeologist from the future... I dug you up."

Yeah, but I hate her “you are so doing those roots” line. It’s such an odd follow-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"What, the roots of the sunset? I'll have to confer with the stars themselves."

:3:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, but I hate her “you are so doing those roots” line. It’s such an odd follow-up.

It was her trying to pull herself together and do one of her smug quips in the wake of getting really emotional.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

River on the back foot for a change

It's great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

"What, the roots of the sunset? I'll have to confer with the stars themselves."

:3:

She's so mortified :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SirSamVimes posted:

It was her trying to pull herself together and do one of her smug quips in the wake of getting really emotional.

Oh I get it, I just think it’s clunky.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Lawrence Miles went off on Steven Moffat on Twitter.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's not like Moffat hasn't got some form.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
We know that RTD doesn't mind little a sexual harassment on set, as a treat

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Lawrence Miles went off on Steven Moffat on Twitter.

Stopped clock, etc.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm "enjoying" the fact that after falling off of newwho by the end of Capaldi's run and coming back to enjoy the heck out of the winter content, I'm immediately met with another bafflingly long gap between seasons. The more things change, etc.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Honestly I'll admit I'm not stoked about Moffat coming back because I think he sucks as a person, but I also know he'll likely turn out a banger of an episode under RTD and I'm like "well, poo poo"

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'm "enjoying" the fact that after falling off of newwho by the end of Capaldi's run and coming back to enjoy the heck out of the winter content, I'm immediately met with another bafflingly long gap between seasons. The more things change, etc.

Wait, is it a long gap? Did I miss something?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Its not even half a year:confused:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

PriorMarcus posted:

Stopped clock, etc.

Wait, does the community have beef with Miles?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

armpit_enjoyer posted:

As far as I know he's done nothing in particular. It's more that he's smart but he's got no filter or social skills, and wrote some pretty out there stuff for the books that some people resent him for writing. Nothing tremendously edgy, just weird/radical/interesting lore that a bunch of people ripped off from him (incl. Moffat) and which he's never minced words about. He's the Time War dude.

I remember him gaining some notoriety for taking The Unquiet Dead to task for the anti-immigration reading, which, yeah, fair enough.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

5 months is not bafflingly long

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Also a huge fan of,"I'm an archeologist from the future... I dug you up."
Honestly the punchline which made River Song as a character concept worth it.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Always loved the bit from the Angels two-parter where she wrote her co-ordinates on some artefact, knowing the Doctor would eventually, some day, see it in a museum.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

armpit_enjoyer posted:

What Open Source said plus he's just kind of an arsehole about a bunch of other Who creators. Like, he insisted on referring to Paul Cornell as "shagger Cornell" for a very long time, declared Gary Russell was killing Doctor Who, that sort of thing. He's not always wrong about things but he's enough of an arsehole enough of time that you almost don't want him on your side of an argument.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If Steven Moffat has done something that needs to be exposed then expose it. Pointless to coyly vaguepost about how you could bring the whole Doctor Who edifice crashing down with six words if only you weren't so noble.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

2house2fly posted:

If Steven Moffat has done something that needs to be exposed then expose it. Pointless to coyly vaguepost about how you could bring the whole Doctor Who edifice crashing down with six words if only you weren't so noble.

"Don't you think he looks tired?"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

"shagger Cornell" for a very long time,

What does that mean? I understand shag as a verb, but "one who has sex" isn't very insulting. Fucker Cornell makes sense as a translation except that I don't think shag is equivalent to gently caress except in the context of a sex verb. "Shag you, ya shaggin pollywog" is something I could hear in a British accent but I've never heard shag used as a general replacement for gently caress.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's presumably implying he cheated on his wife

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

2house2fly posted:

My understanding is the misogynism is in his views, opinions, quotes, and themes in his writing more than his actions but I could be wrong.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lawrence Miles is just a standard forums poster from 20 years ago, it's just that most forums posters from 20 years ago didn't move in circles with Doctor Who (relative) bigwigs

2house2fly posted:

He specifically says that others can do it rather than him personally, which (given that it's the kind of thing that would get you sued if you didn't back it up) makes sense, and also talks about why they don't.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

What does that mean? I understand shag as a verb, but "one who has sex" isn't very insulting. Fucker Cornell makes sense as a translation except that I don't think shag is equivalent to gently caress except in the context of a sex verb. "Shag you, ya shaggin pollywog" is something I could hear in a British accent but I've never heard shag used as a general replacement for gently caress.

2house2fly posted:

It's presumably implying he cheated on his wife

I think this started before Cornell was married, but I believe Miles intended it to mean that Cornell was using his position in the Who community and being a femenist just to get laid. Which, I dunno man, seems like a weird thing to say.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's a very 90s insult.

Miles wasn't happy with The Ancestor Cell iirc, and there was a whole ton of drama about that, then BBV sorta kinda had the Faction Paradox rights for a bit. The ongoing storyline in the EDAs is a mess of half explained ideas tbh.

I met Cornell once at a book signing about ten odd years ago. Nice chap, he was amused that I mentioned Scream of the Shalka.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It definitely continued well past the 90s, lol. The (online) people who accused me of being feminist just to get chicks were always the same people who assumed that I was gay from something about my language choices. I'm glad my kids are growing up in a different time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

A quick Google turned up this interview someone did with Miles for a fanzine in I think 2003? Over two decades ago, maybe he's changed his mind on some of the stuff he says but the overall tone is similar to his Twitter presence I'd say.

https://www.curufea.com/doku.php?id=faction:factionfinal

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fil5000 posted:

A quick Google turned up this interview someone did with Miles for a fanzine in I think 2003? Over two decades ago, maybe he's changed his mind on some of the stuff he says but the overall tone is similar to his Twitter presence I'd say.

https://www.curufea.com/doku.php?id=faction:factionfinal

2003 posted:

Eventually, there will be another TV series of Doctor Who. And it will fail horribly, because inevitably it'll be aimed at the kind of fan-targeted SF market that didn't even exist until Star Trek: The Next Generation came along and spoiled everything. Doctor Who only works as a family adventure series, but when it finally comes back you can bet any money you want it'll be like Babylon 5 or something. It'll only last one series, maybe two. So then the TV programme will be dead forever, the license will be in limbo, and nobody will ever want to pump more money into it as a TV concept.

Imagine the Milesverse where NuWho only lasted one season and it was "Trial of a Peladon Lord".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Skimmed through it and got a light chuckle at him having a go at Russell T Davies via Queer As Folk, oblivious to what the future held

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There's always been a weird gatekeeping thing when it comes to Who authors. I remember a story about Cornell getting into Nick Briggs' face at a BF meeting when BF got the Who license. Haigh-Ellery had picked Briggs to write the first release, and Cornell got upset since Cornell thought it should have been one of Virgin NA author because THEY had been keeping Who "alive" and Briggs wasn't one of them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The arrogance. We keep Doctor Who alive in our hearts and minds and occasionally thinking directly into satellites to rescue him.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Khanstant posted:

The arrogance. We keep Doctor Who alive in our hearts and minds and occasionally thinking directly into satellites to rescue him.

Since we're talking about Lawrence Miles, the Doctor we keep alive that way isn't the original Doctor but an extremely-online media-obsessed alien shaped into the way we remember the Doctor.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

His arms are too long

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/coming-soon-the-tardis-memoirs

quote:

The Doctor has a unique bond with their TARDIS. They’ve always loved the ‘old girl’ for the way she’s gone looking for trouble anywhere in the universe. The Doctor says they stole the TARDIS from Gallifrey. The TARDIS disagrees…she stole them. It hasn’t always taken the Doctor where they want to go, but it’s made sure to take them where they needed to be.

For the TARDIS is far more than just a time machine crossed with a spaceship. Its life reflects the Doctor’s life – a shared wanderlust and longing to explore. Now you can revisit the Doctor’s adventures as seen through the eyes – or the flashing rooftop light, at least – of the TARDIS. From the time the Doctor stole it from Gallifrey to its latest adventures with the Fifteenth Doctor, the TARDIS reflects wittily on its epic, incredible history – past, present and future!

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 21, 2024

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Davros1 posted:

There's always been a weird gatekeeping thing when it comes to Who authors. I remember a story about Cornell getting into Nick Briggs' face at a BF meeting when BF got the Who license. Haigh-Ellery had picked Briggs to write the first release, and Cornell got upset since Cornell thought it should have been one of Virgin NA author because THEY had been keeping Who "alive" and Briggs wasn't one of them.

He weren't exactly wrong, Have you heard Sirens of time.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

My understanding is the misogynism is in his views, opinions, quotes, and themes in his writing more than his actions but I could be wrong.

Well, no, the way Miles is writing in that Twitter thread, it's very much a "there's a whisper network about Moffat, which I can't talk about, but I will hint at for clout".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Well, no, the way Miles is writing in that Twitter thread, it's very much a "there's a whisper network about Moffat, which I can't talk about, but I will hint at for clout".

Miles doesn't give a poo poo about clout lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HappyCamperGL posted:

He weren't exactly wrong, Have you heard Sirens of time.

It's better than The Shadow of the Scourge