Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Her choosing to regenerate was probably as much about picking a personality that could keep up with his manic energy as it was about vanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

He had also played Rasputin prior to landing the role, I'm sure that helped.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I wouldn't call it #1 (and I'm not aware the fandom in general has ever done so) if you went without the racism, but it is still extremely very good, and features the quintessential "Holmes double act", to the extent that there's even been an entire Big Finish spin-off based around them.

Good lord is the racism tough to get through, though.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

And I also love that he does it with all the 'charm' of Mark McKinney whining "please, please please" in this KitH sketch" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZWCTk35650

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Obvious I know but the War Doctor/War Master series kinda/sorta get at the "Doctor as Master/Master as Doctor" thing too.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Flying Zamboni posted:

The Black Guardian is also very entertaining in his campiness and his little bird toupee is ludicrous.

World's worst manager, too.

"BOY! WHY ARE YOU NOT DOING [thing]"

"But you just told me to do [opposite of thing]?"

"FOOLISH WHELP! YOU WILL DO AS I SAY EVEN IF I DON'T SAY IT"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

And at least in Beast Below's case it wasn't just a total shot in the dark, Amy actually sees the space whale demonstrating affection for the children. It's also a nice demonstration of how a good Doctor/companion dynamic works, while the Doctor is hyperfixating on the problem presented to him and assuming everything is all down to him again, Amy is noticing the small details and seeing human empathy.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

2house2fly posted:

In The End Of Time he jumps out of a moving spaceship from hundreds of feet up. Though in that case his fall was broken by a glass ceiling

Oh, that was lucky. So presumably in that case the death by falling and death by being sliced to pieces canceled each other out, like a double negative. The Time Lords thought of everything.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The cliffhanger at the end of Aliens of London was just resolved with "Time Lords can't get electrocuted lol"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

SirSamVimes posted:

Honestly my impression so far isn't that Whittaker is a good Doctor given bad scripts, it's that she may be a good actor but she's not a good Doctor. She just doesn't have the presence necessary to pull off the role.

I'll confess I thought the same thing about Davison at first, but I was eight, and also I had already seen him with his arm up a cow's rear end. But he, like Jodie, did the best with the scripts he was given and made the role his own. The Doctor has a lot of personalities, I have no problem accepting all of them for what they are.

I do wonder if at least some of the problems with 13 (after the writing, of course) were bad/inconsistent director's notes. I always thought I saw a bit of Tennant in her depictions from time to time, mainly every time she had to twist her face up to say "ohhhh naaauuuuuu". Like the director was there doing take after take, going "okay love, can we do it a again, but with more gurning, yeah? ... no, even more gurning than that... look, let me just queue up a supercut of David doing it, do it like that". Like the directors were at a loss for directing Woman Doctor (or were afraid of fan backlash), so they just encouraged her to do more tics from the most popular recent Doctor.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Ryan was also the go-to whenever you needed someone to express befuddlement. They weren't exactly giving him the most range, there.

Yaz had the most potential as a companion (even got to use her police training once or twice), if they'd just given her a chance to be more proactive and hadn't gone for the laziest possible angle to make her "interesting" at the very end.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I always remember it as "The Tsuranga Continuum" so yep.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

If they only ever said "Time Lords" then I guess it should be pretty easy for RTD to say the only ones killed were the adults who'd made it through the Academy, while the kids and everyone else not partial to silly headwear are still safe outside the Citadel.

Still not sure exactly how he's going to handle all the fallout from that run, but we've already seen that he's definitely not ignoring or handwaving it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

While I can't recall whether it's ever made explicit in the show, I always thought the fandom generally accepted that "Time Lords" were just an elite subset of "Gallifreyans". At the very least, if you have to go through some sort of ordeal (the one that drove the Master mad) and graduate the Academy to be acknowledged as a Time Lord, there would be people who did not. Somebody's gotta clean the Loo(m)s.

I always thought the barn people were implied to be people who knew the Doctor from his time on Gallifrey and were treating him as a guest but could definitely be wrong on that.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Coward posted:

Eve of the Daleks had me super frustrated for example, because I thought "Doctor and companions caught in a time loop that always ends in their death, and they have to work out how to break it" was an amazingly good hook for a story. But then nothing really gets done with the loop, nothing thematically hangs on repeating the same actions, it's not used as a way of making clever reveals, or showing how you could use increasing foreknowledge to try and prevent the deaths of your friends.

Well, the counter to this is that introducing more complex elements to the story would just be giving Chibs more opportunities to ruin the whole thing. Very possibly a rare occurrence of recognizing his limitations and working within them, rather than his usual approach of letting the half-baked underthought elements get out of hand and undermine everything else.

It's definitely grading on a very generous curve to rank this among the better of his episodes merely on the basis of being a decent concept executed decently, if simply, but that's the Chibnall era all over.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

"Hello, River"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

You can always imagine her way out of it. Who's going to stop you? Put a new story in your head; that's where the Doctor lives. I like my solution and the Doctor agrees with me.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Live 34 and Colditz are good, I thought.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Coward posted:

I'm not sure why everyone is trying to rationalise the Doctor blowing up a TARDIS when just the basic idea of "persuade EVERY SINGLE dalek to walk into one space" is so poor a solution to the problem.

It's also drat close to how the Flux was "resolved", basically, except it made even less sense that time. The man is simply constitutionally incapable of coming up with any sort of rational ending to any of his "big" plots.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

And it was literally done with ADR!!!! Like it was ten days from broadcast and he was STILL like "oh poo poo oh poo poo, how am I going to get them out of this one" and then his Roomba bumped his foot and a light bulb went on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Maybe not the most apt comparison because the Ghostbusters were really basically intended to be working class shlubs whose equipment was cobbled together from diverse (and occasionally extremely dangerous) parts. Even still, the blinky lights and the antennae that fly up set those devices apart and gave them a set of whimsy. Even if you could recognize an electric shoe polisher on sight it would still make sense in the setting, "they just repurposed the handle and body".

What DW did (or rather, didn't do) with the Passenger mask would be as if they had the Ghostbusters just walk around with literal and obvious electric shoe polishers going BZZZZZZZZZZZ

maybe painted gunmetal-grey and that's it but otherwise just RZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 9, 2024