Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Warthur posted:

Ecclestone:

Whybird posted:

Ecclestone

Y'know, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to return to the show just because half the drat fanbase can't seem to remember that his name is Eccleston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

Feels odd to call somebody in their mid-30s young, but yeah holy poo poo he looks like a little babby wearing a leather jacket, it's kinda amazing.

That was also before he raised five kids, which I'm pretty sure would take a toll on anyone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Random Stranger posted:

Perhaps more than any time in Doctor Who history, this season is going to be one person's vision of the show. Succeed or fail, it's all on Davies.

Chibnall wrote literally every episode of Flux.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rochallor posted:

Technically true, but I wouldn't describe anything Chibnall wrote having "vision" or "characters" or "a plot."

RTD writing basically the whole series does make me a tad nervous. He acquitted himself well with the specials and writing most of the episodes means he will, by definition, be doing some non-arc ones which is where he's strongest, but he's not going to be around forever and the show desperately needs to cultivate new talent.

If I had to wager a guess, Davies made the decision to write the majority of the season once the Disney money was secured. We know from The Writer's Tale that Davies is an insane workaholic who can turn around a script from outline to shooting draft in 48 hours--admittedly, not always for the better, in quite a few cases--and there was probably pressure from Disney to start seeing a return on their investment much sooner than later. So my feeling is he said, "OK, gently caress it, I'll write most of it, I'll get Moffat to do one and then I liked this pitch from someone else. And maybe we'll do things different with the next season."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Clouseau posted:

This is so funny to me because boy oh boy at the time fans did not feel that way.

"Murray Gold" and "has restraint" have never gone in the same sentence.