Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Blu-ray collection continues with Season 15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIBfUAF9otg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McGann posted:

Sorry, can you elaborate? I read through his Twitter and there seems to be a lot more interesting tidbits here than I even expected. Arrested? Fined for desecration of a monument?

But I refuse to join Twitter so I can't read any more than his first posts, leaving me even more intrigued

Goss has bought a house in a village in Turkey. I can’t imagine why, but if he likes it, more power to him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

He's alright in Oceans 8 as well, but he's bloody awful when he's not acting and he went to a WGA meeting he wasn't invited to, to try and get them to let him pay junior writers less. He's a poo poo.

When they did the Gavin & Stacy reunion, they struggled to find crew to work on it because no one wanted to work with Cordon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think Gaiman would like to forget that too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Nightmare in Silver was such a huge disappointment :smith:

We'll always have The Doctor's Wife at least!

That ep is SO GOOD.

“Did you wish really hard?” :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“Which one is mine?”

<10 and 11 give eachother looks like it’s not incredibly obvious>

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

People need to stop hiring Bryan Fuller.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Terror of the Zygons is a solidly good story. It‘s genuinely creepy in places and the Zygons themselves are very effective. It looks gorgeous (aside from some of the Skarasan shots), and it’s probably my favourite Tom story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Special mention to the nurse whose skull is trying to escape her head and looks creepy as a human.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Shout out to the Zygon leader giving the Doctor a lift for no reason

He’s a long standing part of the community, and still likes to be seen helping out. “I will be taking over your planet, yes. But also Mrs Tilley has asked for help getting her firewood in, and I’m not a monster.”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, both Tom and Smith have “He’s an alien.” “Oh yeah, I see it.” energy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“Nuh uh, not this time! It’ll be different!”
Narrator: “It wasn’t.”

I appreciate the 4 era’s remit of making every serial a vaguely kid-friendly horror movie. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I think this aspect of Torchwood is better done by the Rivers of London books, especially as Torchwood ultimately (on TV at least) leaves a lot of that sort of thing behind.

Shoutout to the excellent Rivers of London books here, which have lots of Who refs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I think the author might be a fan.

He’s probably written some fanwanky stories at home.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You know who I’d like to see a bit more of? The Hath. Bubbly fish dudes who collabed with humans to build colonies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Happy 90th birthday to Tom Baker! :toot:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

Well, the last till 2006, anyhow

How quickly we forget K9 & Company. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Warthur posted:

My understanding from people who've read deeper into the series is that the protagonist gets better at that stuff over time, in a way which either suggests it was meant to be a character thing or indicates Aaronovitch has been getting better at it.

Generously, it can be read as Peter getting his mindset away from the still very racist and sexist attitudes of the Met and embracing a much more open mind as he experiences more of the world/demi-monde.

Moon over Soho has Peter’s big flaw where he sleeps with the main murder suspect in his case, revealing he’s still a blithering idiot at that point, and has a lot of sorting himself out to do.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

lines posted:

Like to be clear there's very much a transphobic way of using it! And I might be wrong about how it would have come across in 2011. But it doesn't to me feel jarringly bad. Having googled it many people seem to regard "crossdresser" as better? But I just don't know that that's as true in the same way in the UK? Think getting into it properly would be way too much of a derail for this thread though.

The character being ex-Met certainly feels to me like a sufficient explanation for them being shite at various social stuff. The Met is an awful institution (obviously you might have general criticisms of police forces, and certainly there are few forces in the UK who don't have either a bad reputation for one thing or another or are literally in the middle of nowhere policing cows mainly and so don't really have much chance to accumulate one: but I would say that the Met have a particular reputation for being especially regressive).

Peter’s still a police officer with the Met, but he works in the Folly/Special Assessment Unit, a division dedicated to magic-related incidents, away from the main operational depts and your standard bigoted plod.

I should make a RoL thread in books. There’s an urban fantasy thread, but the RoL stuff gets buried a lot there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Please do. I love those books.

I’ll start cobbling together an OP later! I need to look up the graphic novels, I don’t really follow them because I don’t jive with the art a lot of the time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Character Options have announced (and put up for preorder) a Fugitive Doctor figure and TARDIS! :toot:

The site is absolutely failing to cope with people trying to order it. :doh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Please bring her back. :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/CooperHillier/status/1749403460485980342/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s like Forbidden Planet on a shoestring budget

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

HD DAD posted:

It really does reek of someone who was young during the wilderness years, brain full of Cartmel what could have been, and then not being able to resist that impulse when he actually got control of the show.

Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it’s just that it was implemented in a very poor way.

He was barely young in 1986, when he was both 16 and 45:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSuxFK6Hhvw

But even Cartmel and Co during the Wilderness era knew not to make things too explicit (with the exception of Lungbarrow).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Not a fan of the Underworld at all. Rather boring and its a story that was already done this season .

It livens up a bit when they're shouting lager.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

When S10 was done, Gold was off Who and had no inclination to arrange for the score to be released. Now he’s back on the series, he might be warmer to that notion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I have a vague memory of a story (from Tom I think, so possibly bullshit) about an older fan (or possibly a fan's grandmother?) knitting a scarf for Tom and it was GIGANTIC and they decided to run with it as part of his actual costume for a lark?

Begonia Pope knitted the scarf, inspired by a poster painted by Toulouse Lautrec. Costume designer James Acheson gave Pope several balls of wool but no instructions about the length of the scarf to be produced. Pope used all of the wool to knit a scarf 20 feet long. The production team loved the result and, after shortening the scarf slightly, it was used as part of the costume.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I actually adore the moment in the scene before it when the Doctor asks Bill and Nardole why he can't just stop, why does he have to go on, and instead of some trite 'because the world needs you' or 'we'd miss you', they just acknowledge him and say it's OK if he makes that choice, that he's allowed to feel overwhelmed and burned out. And it leads to the wonderful little wry turn of "I suppose one more lifetime wouldn't kill anyone... except me..."

Which has now paid off a bit with the Giggle’s ending where the 14th Doctor finally admits he’s absolutely run ragged.

“It's like you're staggering along. Maybe that's why your old face came back. Maybe you're wearing yourself out.”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Jelly Babies are loving weird they're covered in what I am assuming is cornstarch which gives them a strange taste.

Yeah, so they don’t stick together/to the moulds when making them. It shouldn’t be excessive though, just dust them off if you like.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I mean I think Mummy On The Orient Express partly included them so Capaldi could show off his Baker impression again.

I was convinced that line read was Tom himself. :psyduck:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Crystal Maze has such an odd production history.

In 1989, French tv was making a show, Fort Boyard, a game show about solving puzzles, doing challenges, and collecting keys to a treasure room at the end of the episode. British tv company Chatsworth acquired the format, but couldn’t schedule time to film at the titular Fort Boyard (a real fort completely surrounded by the sea off the coast of France!) so they initially made a FB pilot using sets and filmed it at Elstree studios. It looked dreadful, so they asked FB’s creator for help and he suggested the Crystal Maze format.

Eventually the UK did get its own Fort Boyard with Geoffrey Bayldon, Leslie Grantham and Melinda Messenger hosting/as characters (and eventually Tom Baker!) and is one of 34 countries to have their own version of the show!

My companion and I watched an ep last year while in France and it’s wild. For one, the episode was 2.5 hours long, and there’s a huge amount of lore behind it all where the characters in the fort all have their own motivations and history, which evolves season to season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

McGann posted:

Speaking love.. what was the general consensus on his death? Talked into suicide or pushed? I'm a fan of the former.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

McGann posted:

Oh, darn. Now I have to re-watch Deep Breathe. For shame.

Anyone speak whatever that language is which uses the Eyebrows to talk? What's he telling us????

Delphons, I think?

12 certainly knew where the 4th wall was.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hollismason posted:

4th doctor mugs for the camera a lot and sometimes speaks directly to it. It's offputting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb0p1AfLJ6w

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

McGann posted:

My bad, I got confused. Though he does play a cat, it's the very first Benny audio "oh no it isn't". He's not the Cheshire cat in this one though, just a normal one. Who also can talk.

He’s Wolsey, who was the TARDIS cat during the NA novels. The TARDIS should always have a cat, it feels right.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

A TARDIS cat that just randomly wanders through the entire history of the TARDIS with no care given to order or time. It just appears, demands food and scritches, and vanishes back into the cat dimension.

:hmmyes:

That is a cat, yes. Which Doctor blob is this one? Will they feed me? That new console room desperately needs a chair or two. For cat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I'm not sure I like Season 18 Doctor's outfit. He has the ridiculous scarf but also has a shirt with question marks on it. Kind of a bit on the nose.

Hoo boy :cripes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Coward posted:

I love the umbrella though.

:hmmyes:

The umbrella is great. I’d have loved Sylv’s TV Movie costume as how he should been dressed from the start, with the umbrella as the One Acceptable Thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Add in a larger panel of another eye-searing colour. Or a vent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's in one episode of Only Fools and Horses and for some reason all the obits describe him as "Only Fools and Horses actor Michael Jayston"

It’s like when Meghan Markle was described as ‘Suits, Fringe Actor’, and as a Fringe fan, I struggled to remember her at all. She’s in 2 episodes.