Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Damming of The Flood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I watched that episode a few days ago and it made me cry lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Y'all have good reason to think that and I don't imagine you'll be disappointed on that hunch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Dehumanizing people because they were in the military once isn't appropriate or okay though

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Ah, yes, the Doctor Who equivalent of the one Star Trek show everyone wants Paramount to make.

I'm still hoping the section 31 show doesn't happen and don't know anyone wanting it to be made lol.

Never made it far in Torchwood and prefer UNIT in general except in smaller doses. I suppose with the new tiny seasons though I'll be itching for more Who and will watch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Reckon the UKians would struggle just as much if we decided to make up a new dialect for every single neighborhood too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm sure she made some decent change off the gig, but lol at taking Karen Gillan to make her bald and covered in blue crap to play a purple idiot's daughter. Now she's stuck being typecast as smurfs and avatars.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Too many actresses bluing themselves in their prime

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Who seems like it could be the perfect show for classic long seasons, with a wide variety of writers bringing different stuff that may or may not tie in at all with the seasonal "thing." Sure weave in some episodes to advance the arc of that Doctor, but also just let us see what wild concepts writers can think of to throw at the Doctor and co.

How they do things now you can dip out of whole seasons if you're not that into the main hook because everything will tend to wrap around that in a big way. X-Files had their main story EPS and monsters of the week and on a rewatch that's great because you can skip all the main story that you know goes nowhere interesting in the end and just enjoy the monsters like an anthology series.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd be happy with bottle episodes and cheap sets, the show is a radio program for me on most rewatches anyhow, a few charismatic people hopping around exotic locations near their filming studio works for me as well as any CGI fest, but I have to accept the reality of this era will not be upping royalty opportunities with cheaper fx budgets for more eps just because it would be neat.

In this reality I am just hoping their spinoff mania won't mean hyper focused mini seasons of the main show. The smaller the season the more I want each chocolate in the box to be distinct from the others above all else.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if I will ever be able to read spaceman as anything other than the last name on first glance again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Let he who is without ecles cast the first ston

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Picard was so bad I don't even watch TNG in the background anymore. We've got threads detailing it's failures in excruciating detail also I won't be labour the point too much, but it's impressive how loving desperately bad it got in season 3. Just everyone-involved-should-be-required-to-retire-from-media-production-of-all-kinds-forever-under-penalty-of-law level of embarrassingly bad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Something I have noticed with watching the old Tom Baker Doctor Who episodes is how very little he actually uses the sonic screwdriver. Compared to the later new Who where he basically uses it as a magic wand.

I like how it's circled to magic in the universe and the magic wand is not very effective on it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Gatwa's screwdriver is fine but it's especially weird that in a season where it looks like magic and myth are more real than ever the sonic has changed to look like a magic wand than ever.

It looks like a weird cell phone or palm pilot, or maybe the toy version of either where it can be a funky silly shape since it's for kids.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm always shouting at the screen telling them what to do so I'd appreciate it if the Doctor stopped and asked for my input Dora Explorer style.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Now that they're leaning into the humble beginnings/orphan story, it's time for the Doctor to take on Ichiban Kasuga as his next companion.

Wow way to plant a seed I'll be waiting my whole life to never see sprout. If nothing else Yakuza 9 should add a Doctor Who stand-in.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Arrested on suspicion of domestic violence.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just what you want in your guardian angel

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The ones I remember are with Friends-like substitute titles.

The one where maybe Amazon is good actually.

The gang butcher historic civil rights movement.

The one where they kill a new species and the Doctor is mad because she wanted to do the final slaughtering using a different method.

The one where they planet of the apes climate change.

The one with the dogs.

The one where they eventually let Master ra ra rasputin.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if they'll be able to do anti-AI now or if they'll be "suggested" to be more kerblammy about it. They say Who already involved AI, but that also means it has the elements to have the Doctor deliver a withering speech about some era of earth where everyone starved to death as LLM replace everything with markov chain spam.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The competition is also surely rigged. They know what they want to happen here and the testing is just a different aggressive way of doing it. If they do the testing and human copy comes out on top 100% of the time but the AI poo poo still gets X percent clicks, they will simply reason the loss of whatever percent is worth the money they'd save removing humans from the economy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cryptic emoji hints there. Two of hearts and a sideways blue Diamond, maybe an ace of blue diamonds. Playing cards could mean Toymaker, deuces are wild, and Ace is also known as the blue diamond of aztlanta. This might be a new show premiere featuring Ace as her own Doctor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Why streamers don't all have a live feed is beyond me. Netflix is only just now testing theirs with Jake Paul Vs. Mike Tyson of all loving things, but the social aspect of watching things at the same time as other people is a huge part of watching poo poo.

My favourite time of watching TV in the Internet era was when Twitch was still Justin.tv. some nerds streamed videogames, but the real star were tons of streams of shows people loved. Star Trek and Stargate even had their own communities, in part because you had to stay connected to find out where the next stream was when last one got swatted down.

Go figure humans like doing human things virtually that humans like to do offline.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Praying the UK gets the Internet in time to watch the premiere

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What needs to be addressed about River? Seems like her story is wrapped up and they got to spend 24 years just chilling, pretty happy ending all things considered.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ah, she has the American spirit and it expresses itself through denying the king his pennies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll live in the computer, if it's a take a penny leave a penny kinda situation.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

"shagger Cornell" for a very long time,

What does that mean? I understand shag as a verb, but "one who has sex" isn't very insulting. Fucker Cornell makes sense as a translation except that I don't think shag is equivalent to gently caress except in the context of a sex verb. "Shag you, ya shaggin pollywog" is something I could hear in a British accent but I've never heard shag used as a general replacement for gently caress.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The arrogance. We keep Doctor Who alive in our hearts and minds and occasionally thinking directly into satellites to rescue him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, the idea of every living Doctor coming back sounds awful. Also, you kind of got that with the last episode for Thirteen.

RTD has also gone on record saying he doesn't like multi-Doc episodes.

And yet he has already done one and is the second showrunner to have two doctors at once as new Doctors.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bring back all the dead Clara's for a multi-clara episode. We never got to see her interact with her selves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
14 & 15 together in a special, and 13 & Fugitive Doctor. I'm just goofing, those are distinct from a "multi doctors" type specials.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's time we met the Doctor's family, like his brother Cletus.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah it should really be a "I'll try but sometimes we run into the end of all time or a monster that eats only time travel companions and poo poo happens, but it's still safer than driving in a highway so be prepared.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We also are getting mini seasons so there is even less screen time to spend with the new Doctor who already has potential competition.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DavidCameronsPig posted:

That Ncuti fella is just an insanely charismatic fellow, ain't he. The next few years could be utter dreck from a writing standpoint and I suspect he can salvage it with the force of sheer enthusiasm alone.

That might not be as wild of a swing as you think. 14 regretted 'invoking a superstition' about salt on the edge of the universe, there's Mavity, Kate burying the Toymakers box in salt because myth is suddenly now true, bigeneration also being a timelord myth that is also now suddenly true, there was a bunch of blink-and-miss-them lines when they were on the goblin ship about 15 trying to understand a whole new set of rules of the universe afterwards and how fate and belief and myth and legend are now a things that really exist in the world, and now a butterfly effect joke and the trailer is literally set to David Bowie's Changes. I think that's evidence to count as a full on theme. The universe is somehow fundamentally different to the universe before 14 did the salt thing and let the Toymaker in.

This SFX shot of London is really annoying me in the most goony pedantic dorky way. Maybe it's because I live about 10 minutes walk away from where she's standing and walk past that point just about every day, but the Thames is not remotely that shape. You can't see either St Pauls or Tower Bridge from there, the river bends almost 90 degrees long before it gets to St Pauls. They'd both be way out of shot to the right from there. And there's about 7 bridges missing between there and Tower Bridge. They just removed the whole of Southwark from existing. Which wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing to happen to Southwark, but still.

Maybe that's another 'change'? But I suspect they just wanted to shove famous London stuff into the shot, and in reality she'd be staring at a bunch of big, but relatively forgettable Victorian office blocks housing various government departments from there so whatever.

Also, there's a whole bunch of landmarks missing - no London eye, no City skyscrapers, no Isle of Dogs, but given what she's wearing that might not be present day London. What's there would all fit with an alternative 60s-mid90s London - another bit one for a theme of time being constantly rewritten?

This post might be the dorkiest 6 paragraphs I've ever written, I'm very proud.

Rivers aren't exactly known for keeping one shape, takes a lot of heavy engineering to keep them in place once folks start settling on them. Humanity pretty regularly gets wiped out on Earth so I reckon plenty of time between rebuild periods for the river to shift up again. The similar buildings are just future Brits trying to recapture the past.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good point. In that case have the toy maker show up afterwards to do a play to onboard the friends and family of companions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bummed to see the BBC go, they've always had some great stuff being made and I loved that this tiny place had its own dedicated TV production apparatus - and publicly funded to boot. Really cool concept, it wasn't perfect, but it seemed like a very important media staple to stand against the abject horrible capitalization of everything else. It's important to not let everything in life be controlled by the myths of the markets but all that seems to be going away too.

Never do a Brexit, I don't care how much you want your own independence day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is it still a bad wig if he makes it look good?