Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Jo Grant did, and she was a civilian member of UNIT, which is a UN-sponsored governmental paramilitary secret police kind of organization, so my original point still stands.

Remind me what the word civilian mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Covok posted:

It was the main palentologist I remember having the most problem with. Cutter.

Here is a clip. https://youtu.be/WE-PUUN65ME

Also, the first episode was fine.

Funny enough, it sounds clearer now. Like, I acclimating.

I think the word is "learning".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My recommended episodes:

Watch all of it you coward.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mary Shelley already was inspired to write Frankenstein by actual events. In real life, not in doctor who. Stories of galvanism where early electricians passed currents through the corpses of criminals (sometimes dismembered, sometimes not) were big news at the time she wrote Frankenstein.

An author being inspired to write fiction by real life events, their own experiences, and the world around them isn't a failure of their imagination or creativity, and to paint it as such is really bizarre to me, no creative work is ever made in a vacuum, and it's not like the episode is "the exact plot of Frankenstein happens and Mary Shelley just transcribes it".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Random Stranger posted:

I know they're doing it as a joke, but I'm kind of curious how RTD walks out of it because Doctor Who (and most stories that want to use time travel as a concept) really shouldn't get into how it interacts with chaos theory because it means every time you go back in time you change literally everything just by being there. Their presence would proliferate through every chaotic system in the world, randomizing everything within two weeks time. You can do something with that, but it's not especially flexible as a concept so it's better to ignore it.

Maybe the Doctor pokes a little dinosaur and everything goes back to normal.

I figure one of 3 things; Most likely, quick one off joke as you say. Either the doctor fixes it immediately, or it fixes itself after a minute and the doctor says "Time is largely self correcting, little changes tend to sort themselves out" or similar. Less likely but still not entirely possible it ties into the episodes plot (this time traveling scientist has invented a time machine that damages the very fabric of space and time and exaggerates the butterfly effect until the doctor fixes it). Or, wild swing here, its tied into a plot arc for the season along with "mavity". Doubt she'll be looking like that for longer than an episode (and probably less than 2 minutes) in any case, for budgetary reasons if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Timby posted:

If I had to wager a guess, Davies made the decision to write the majority of the season once the Disney money was secured. We know from The Writer's Tale that Davies is an insane workaholic who can turn around a script from outline to shooting draft in 48 hours--admittedly, not always for the better, in quite a few cases--and there was probably pressure from Disney to start seeing a return on their investment much sooner than later. So my feeling is he said, "OK, gently caress it, I'll write most of it, I'll get Moffat to do one and then I liked this pitch from someone else. And maybe we'll do things different with the next season."

Thing is, this guess does kind of require the Disney corporation to not really understand how most TV shows are written and the timescales involved. I think thats unlikely because I believe they have at least some previous experience in "the show business". I personally just put it down to Davies being a workaholic who feels a sense of ownership/protectiveness for the show and isnt great at recognizing when these traits are having a detrimental effect on his output. My evidence for that is the things Davies said and did the last time he was in charge of Who.