Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I hate the words "the first of the Doctor Who spinoffs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Barry the Sprout posted:

Actually betting it's the rumoured and heavily hinted at UNIT spin off

Martha better be in it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A friend of mine said there's a rumour that Moffat wrote an episode where the Doctor steps on a landmine and can't move from it or it explodes, and then after hearing about that there was a shot in the trailer that looked like the Doctor stepping on a landmine...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lmao that Rusty has saved this show twice over

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rory owns because he doesn't let Amy push him around because he's weak, he's actually smart and strong. He lets her push him around because he's a bottom.

edit He also looks extremely good in armour. Shame that the show refused to ever use the fact that he is trained with a sword ever again.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 11, 2024

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't know anything about Corden outside of Who, but I thought Craig and his performance as Craig were pretty likeable.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My rewatch has finished season 6. Closing Time is an okay episode which is buoyed up by some fantastic comic performances Smith. Would be completely forgettable if not for him really showing off his capabilities as a comic actor.

The Wedding of River Song is just an incredibly Moffat episode, with everything both positive and negative that that implies.

edit It also has some absolutely top tier Rory-ing.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 13, 2024

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Idris-TARDIS has some incredible lines. "I wanted to see the universe so I stole a Time Lord and ran away." and "Biting is brilliant! It's like kissing, but there's a winner." are standouts.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My rewatch is moving through Season 7. Asylum was great, A Town Called Mercy was much better than I remembered (because I had forgotten everything about it) and even the Chibnall episodes were okay. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was a fun dumb romp, and the first half of Power of Three where it was focused on the Pond family life and Matt Smith's frustration with the concept of inactivity was great but the second half was incredibly dull.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finished Angels Take Manhattan. I forgot that this episode was really good, huh.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I've got my girlfriend into nuWho and we've been having so much of a blast that she's mentioned wanting to see the old era. Is there a list of recommended episodes from each Doctor that are at least watchable in some form?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean I'm not looking for just 1-2 stories per Doctor, just which ones are a) worth watching b) complete in some form. Like I've heard Caves of the Androzani (sp???) and City of Death are must watches, but neither of them are on your list.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, this might be EU stuff (but I think it's one of those things that filtered back into the show itself) but a timelord can be killed outright by decapitation, disintegration or the destruction of both their hearts. Maybe those guards were being staser shot through both hearts at once?

River mentions in Forests of the Dead "It'll burn out both your hearts, you won't regenerate" and in The Impossible Astronaut his regeneration gets interrupted by being shot during the process.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just got to Day of the Doctor on my rewatch. Just a delightful watch, both excellent in fanservice and also being a new story.

Also Billie Piper as the Bad Wolf is incredibly good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"I could kiss you, Bad Wolf girl!"

"Yeah, that'll happen."

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pivoting to something that is actually good, The Five-ish Doctors is just as funny as I remember it being. Just a thirty minute long shitpost and an absolute delight.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

time of the doctor sure is a messy episode, huh

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Into Capaldi now and god I love Twelve. My problem with the Danny-centric season 8 is that Moffat had a story he wanted to tell with a Clara who is in a committed relationship and kinda speedran to get to that point and the two of them never really felt like they were that into each other.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kill the moon: still bad. oh well, the rest of the episodes of this season are good! mummy, flatline, dark water, death in heaven. just banger after banger.

definitely no other episodes in that mix.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Flatline is so so good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I’ve been watching all of NuWho again and now I’m going through the 13th episodes for the first time. There are sure a lot of shots of the fam standing next to each other in a perfectly spaced line while the Doctor expositions at them, huh?
I'm on a watchthrough of NuWho and everything from season 9 onwards is going to be new to me. I'm incredibly excited to see what the hype is about Heaven Sent, World Enough and Time, Husbands of River Song and The Doctor Falls.

My girlfriend and I (she is new to the show) are also going to watch all of 13th, though we're expecting it to be what she calls a "salt watch".

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My rewatch has finished season 8 plus Last Christmas (the best Christmas episode) and reconfirmed that Capaldi is just the best.

Everything from now onwards is new to me. Exciting!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Heaven Sent somehow lives up to every bit of the hype

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Coward posted:

And it has such a great ending with the kid running off and the reveal of where they are. Definitely the end of that episode and a real shame it was the end of that series and the cliffhanger never got resolved.

Hell Bent is also good, actually.

The entire run of Raven to Husbands is one of the best streaks of quality I've seen from this show. Season 9: Starts well, ends phenomenally, let's not talk about everything in between.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Why do they keep giving Peter Harness episodes

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just watched World Enough/Doctor Falls. Now, that was an unexpected and triumphant return.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've run out of Capaldi and I want more :(

Season 10 was real good except for that bit where for some reason Peter Harness was allowed to write an episode again.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So is Jodie Whittaker just immune to fall damage or something

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Kerblam!, the Timeless Child stuff and Flux are all capable of generating huge amounts of discussion.

My girlfriend and I currently watching through Chibnall stuff for the first time (me as someone who uses to watch, her as a first tike watcher as a whole) and we had plenty to complain about as of finishing Demons of the Punjabi.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Honestly my impression so far isn't that Whittaker is a good Doctor given bad scripts, it's that she may be a good actor but she's not a good Doctor. She just doesn't have the presence necessary to pull off the role.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Every fact about The Tsuranga Conundrum flees my brain when I try to think about it. Most unmemorable episode I have ever watched.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just watched It Takes You Away and it's the closest this season has been to good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

McGann posted:

Well drat, I remember nothing about this episode. So I guess I better give it re watch here this week.. Never thought I'd want to. Then again, can it be worse than my minuet relisten?

Note: It's not good, just the least bad.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

jisforjosh posted:

I know for a fact I saw this episode, doubly, I know I watched it last year, but it has completely slid off my brain and I do not recall anything about it. Reading through your recap only brought up a vague memory

The Chris Chibnall Who Experience.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Resolution and Spyfall both have the bones of good stories marred by pacing issues and a few really dumb things (the dad thing having no thematic connection to the dalek, the Doctor deciding that the Master deserved to get holocausted, Ada and Noor getting mind wiped when plenty of other historical figures have been allowed to remember the Doctor).

The biggest story issue though is Chibnall deciding to re-destroy Gallifrey. Why? After the whole big deal of the 50th and Heaven Sent/Hell Bent, Gallifrey really got destroyed again by the Master offscreen???

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The weirdest part is that she had already framed him as a British spy and the soldiers were coming to arrest him. She had already beaten him and then she disables his perception filter and says "Now they can see who you really are!"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I like how the Doctor using the Master's skin color against him to send him to a concentration camp happens like ten minutes after she yells at Ada Lovelace for using a steamgun to nonlethally distract the Master while he's executing a room full of people one by one. Thirteen's moral compass is bizarre.

She was perfectly okay with Ada throwing grenades though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Laser gun shooting robots: bad

Emp bomb destroying robots: good

Handgun quickly killing spiders: bad

Spiders slowly and painfully dying of starvation: good

nonlethal steam powered ball bearing gun: bad

Grenades: good

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My Doctor Who catchup is about halfway through the Chibnall era and my god I hate the Doctor responding to to Graham talking frankly about his cancer with "I'M SOCIALLY AWKWARD SO I'LL WALK AWAY NOW"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I have witnessed the Timeless Children and even though I have been spoiled on what the reveal is, I am still dumbfounded by how stupid it is.