Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We are watching the S3 Dalek two parter and Space Cadet is convinced that their plan is to make a giant Dalek from the Empire State Building.

Space Cadet has a future in writing for Doctor Who I think because that is brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Series 8 is my fav one. First half of Deep Breath is a slog, but the minute Clara and the Doctor sit down in that restaurant it's like a switch has flipped and the Doctor is here. Such a tonal departure from Matt Smith, marking a clear delineation between eras without a change in lead writer, an underrated trick. Ditches complicated myth arcs for thematic and emotional ones; I'm a sucker for a series where the stories all rhyme with each other in some way- robots, soldiers, power relations. It has an episode where the villain is a mummy, an episode where the villain is the protagonist's fear of the dark, and an episode where one of the heroes is Santa Claus. The Doctor is really interesting, ruthlessly pragmatic and socially uninterested to the point of "deleting" people from his memory moments after meeting them. Nobody's inviting this guy to Christmas dinner after he helps them defeat a monster. Even he's unsure who he is and what he should be after so many regenerations, going so far as to compare himself to the Ship of Theseus. (one year later in Heaven Sent: "how long can I keep doing this? Burning the old me to make a new one?") Plus he's got that snazzy jacket with the red lining. It's a great time

It also has one of my favorite Capaldi lines ever "Hello hello rubbish robots from the dawn of time"

Immediately made me go "Oh there's the Doctor" when I first saw it

Coward posted:

I was impressed Moffat managed to find an untapped Christmas theme to use. Really thought the vein was tapped, but then, "Oh, it's the trenches and you didn't say which year, well-played."

Finding out that the regeneration was meant for The Doctor Falls and this was all done to secure things for Chibnall made my confusion over the rest of the episode make a lot more sense.

I do like the whole idea of both 12 and 1 avoiding their regeneration and them helping each other figure it out. The rest of the episode is a mess, but that and the Christmas Armistice bit was nice. Oh and "They cut out all the jokes!"

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 8, 2024

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Paul.Power posted:

We do at least have Rory being unfazed that the Tardis is bigger on the inside because after the Prisoner Zero incident he read up on a bunch of popular science.

Rory rules because he's way smarter than anyone in the show ever gives him credit for. I actively dislike Amy in their first season after she starts to treat him like poo poo (thankfully they minimized that in future seasons, because it felt like they were trying to go for Mickey 2.0 and I am glad that didn't happen)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Wolfechu posted:

Kinda irritating how you can have stories with James Corden in them, written by Gareth loving Roberts, and they're perfectly decent stories.

it's wild to me that of the two Cyberman-only stories that Matt Smtih got in his era, I prefer the James Corden/Gareth Roberts joint over the one written by NEIL GAIMAN

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

"You never take me where I want to go!"

"No, but I've always taken you where you NEED to go"

The Tardis as Idris was so lovely.

The_Doctor posted:

I think Gaiman would like to forget that too.

His experience on it (and then American Gods) essentially made him realize what not to do as a showrunner when he did Good Omens and Sandman and that is a hoot.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 14, 2024

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The TARDIS opening her first ever conversation with,"Goodbye!" because of course she experiences time constantly backwards/forwards/sideways and can't always wrap her head around the proper tense for these weird "linear" people ruled too.

"We have now reached the point in the conversation where you open the lock"

*Doctor looks on incredulously, then indeed opens the lock*

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

He has a pretty heavy hand on Sandman and it's good IMO. I honestly think that the Cybermen just aren't in his wheelhouse.

Well it didn't help that Moffat kept changing what was going on for the second half of the season. Clara was originally supposed to be the governess from The Snowman, and the kids were going to be the ones in that episode, and the whole Impossible Girl thing was not really something Gaiman had included and had to be adjusted.

Not to mention they seriously slashed the budget. I got to ask Gaiman about it like three days after it aired, and he was told me about the "upgrade" to be water resistant wasn't in the script and was supposed to be Cyberman after Cyberman getting electrocuted and dying, until enough had died that it formed a bridge for the still alive ones, which is so much cooler but he said the budget was not in the cards. That whole conversation was wild because the episode was brand new and Gaiman was very polite but very firm that it wasn't his favorite.

I truly do think his experience on that episode, and then his experience with the showrunners on American Gods are why he is now showrunning Good Omens and the upcoming Anansi Boys show, plus co-showrunning Sandman.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

If only the Ninth Doctor asked Rose if she had stairs in her house....

but knowing Doctor Who, the stairs wouldn't be stairs, but some sort of ancient alien being forced to hide in human homes, and when you notice him the stairs disappear

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

what kind of sucks about Bryan Fuller and American Gods is that the season he ran is the best...but he left it such a shape that it couldn't recover. I never bothered to watch season 3 because of how bad season 2 fell off.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's left three shows. Dead Like Me was a homophobic workplace where an actress was fired for not being attractive enough (or whatever that actually means) and he left in protest along with her. Wrote her final episode and they both left. And American Gods and Star Trek Discovery were clearly horrible places to work given all the other stories that have come out about them from the years after he left.

And maybe he contributed to the culture there, who knows, there's that sexual assault accusation that's come out recently and who knows how that's going to shake out. I'm not gonna defend him on that, who would. However, that said, I think it was pretty clear that Fremantle used him as a scapegoat with American Gods. That second season was hilariously incompetent, and Fuller had nothing to do with it. Gaiman, however, was pretty heavily involved.

Gaiman has stated (and it could be untrue, of course) that apart from writing the first episode of Season 2, his involvement was minimal because the new showrunner decided to do his own thing with it and didn't really follow Gaiman's plot.

and Gaiman had almost nothing to do with the third season, to the point where he was upset about it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Anybody want to guess, without looking, how many Big Finishes they've done since then? I'm gonna go with three box sets of four stories each, plus some celebratory special where they team up with *rolls dice* uh, Winston Churchill.

I think Tom Baker and Matt Smith both benefit a little from just looking loving weird, there is something that's a little off about both of them. Not in an off-putting way, just like they're an extra standard deviation off from what we imagine the average person to look like.

Yes, the two of them are the most "alien" looking of the Doctors without a doubt.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I loved the Leela/4 dynamic, him explaining how the TARDIS works is like a core memory for me :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ01T3_E6YQ

"... that's silly."

I really like the noise of the window opening on the TARDIS. Mainly because it reminds me of the "Look, Rocks!" bit which kills me everytime I think of it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Yeah Tennant is "the man who never would"

Most of the other doctors are "a man who might, depending on the circumstances"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

None at all. They are identical.

There was a small difference at the end of the Christmas special in terms of how they did the bit with Ms. Flood, but it was just an editing change rather than a different shot or something.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Something’s coming tomorrow…?

Probably a new full trailer or something like that, right?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Honestly I'll admit I'm not stoked about Moffat coming back because I think he sucks as a person, but I also know he'll likely turn out a banger of an episode under RTD and I'm like "well, poo poo"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I see that RTD is right back into having the Doctor lie to a companion family that he'll keep them safe

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

That’s probably for the best, lest we get a Willy’s Chocolate Experience case on the BBC’s hands.

The Unknown is basically a AI Generated c-grade Doctor Who monster, so sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

RTD: I'm only hiring people with experience making Doctor Who.

RTD: Well she meets all the qualifications!

I mean, Loki S1 is basically "What if Doctor Who was actually about The Master"

S2 is an entirely different beast though.