Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Or it's a season from the Silurian's POV, so each week they try to take over the Earth, and each week a different Doctor shows up and stops them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Kinda irritating how you can have stories with James Corden in them, written by Gareth loving Roberts, and they're perfectly decent stories.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Hollismason posted:

The 2nd serial of Season 14 The hand of Fear is much better than the previous one. I do know that The Deadly Assassin is next on my list so I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

I am a little disappointed that this is the last of Sarah Jane Smith. She's a great companion.

Well, the last till 2006, anyhow

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I loved the Leela/4 dynamic, him explaining how the TARDIS works is like a core memory for me :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ01T3_E6YQ

"... that's silly."

To me a classic companion is one who's prepared to tell the Doctor he's talking bollocks now and then. Sarah Jane, Tegan, Romana, right back to Barbara even.

Leela is high on that list, if only because she's usually right and has a better handle on the situation than the Doctor.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Warthur posted:

The production of Invasion of Time was a shitshow because they had a bad budget shortfall (in part because the economy collapsed, so the money they'd been assigned to make the show didn't stretch as far) and Graham Williams and Anthony Read, the script editor at the time, had to scramble to lash together a script they could make with spare parts. ("David Agnew", the person the story's attributed to, is a pseudonym.)

There's one other time during Baker's run that they had to get the script editor to come up with an entirely new script on the fly and put it out under the David Agnew name, but you're a ways off from that and it panned out much better. :)

Am I remembering right that that budget shortfall was at least partly because Hinchcliffe, knowing full well he was going to be fired shortly because of noises being made by Mary Whitehouse, decided to blow as much money on his last season as he felt like?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Tom's last outfit would have been fine - the huge flappy coat, the boots, the vaguely piratey look to it - if hadn't been so relentlessly burgundy. I mean, I like burgundy, but there's limits

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

The destruction of Gallifrey gets even sillier if you consider the novels canon, given they had eight backup copies of the planet ready to go. Which were also destroyed.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

adding 'anti' before fandom on any of their urls redirects you to a mirror of that page without any of the bullshit ads. There's also a browser extensions to do it automatically: https://antifandom.com/

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

There's like maybe four Chibnall episodes where if anyone mentions the title, I don't go "wait, what happened in that one?"

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I did like Karvanista. The gruff Leeds accent didn't hurt

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

I don’t know what any of that means.

The need for middle to upper management to jump on the latest marketing craze. They'll be using something like ChatGPT to generate promotional copy, as a trial.

I suppose we should be glad the show more or less avoided the whole NFT thing

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Awww. You know, I had this nagging memory there might have been something.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Lawrence Miles is the Harlan Ellison of Doctor Who novels. Some brilliant ideas and writing, possibly some of the best books in the EDA range.

Also a complete inability to play nicely with others, and a grudge list he's determined to hold onto.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I know they're doing it as a joke, but I'm kind of curious how RTD walks out of it because Doctor Who (and most stories that want to use time travel as a concept) really shouldn't get into how it interacts with chaos theory because it means every time you go back in time you change literally everything just by being there. Their presence would proliferate through every chaotic system in the world, randomizing everything within two weeks time. You can do something with that, but it's not especially flexible as a concept so it's better to ignore it.

Maybe the Doctor pokes a little dinosaur and everything goes back to normal.

I think The Time Travellers by Jim Mortimore jumps on this; it's a very timey-wimey book with Ian and Barbara going to 2005 and it's a dystopian hellhole, because the First Doctor hasn't dealt with the War Machines yet. But it suggests that every time they leave the TARDIS, it alters history. And that's why the Doctor never really goes back to see anyone, it's not the 'them' he remembers precisely.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

https://deadline.com/2024/03/bbc-doctor-who-ai-complaints-1235867333/

BBC have dropped the plans to use AI as a marketing experiment for the show, after the uproar

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

RichMarinKT posted:

What would happen if The Doctor bi-regenerated or something and ended up in a male and a female Doctor? Would they consider traveling together? What would that series be like?

I don't know how often The Doctor in love gets addressed in the extended media, just the episodes, but would they consider falling for themselves? Thirteen did tell herself that she looked pretty cute. There seemed to be some minor flirting.

I want to see this but have a third, previous Doctor show to sneer. I mean, we know how well multiple incarnations get along.

Have Colin pulling a face, "And I thought *I* was narcissistic..."

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I don't even particularly dislike Jodie's outfit - It's far more forgiveable than Colin's - but it has an air of 'Eh, good enough, that's the minimum level of Doctorish attire we need'

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Trouble is of course, with "Rosa", if you do anything other than 'we have to sit here and passively observe history', Chibnall is going to hit "Thank Goodness the Doctor, a white woman, was there to make sure things went right", and the whole civil rights movement becomes a Doctor Who story like the Dalek Invasion of Earth. Or like Timewyrm:Exodus, which is a good read, but writing off Hitler's madness as him being possessed by an alien entity kinda minimizes the horrors of the Nazis.

I'm not sure what the solution is there either, beyond "don't do these kind of stories", because either version isn't going to be satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I might be conflating this with later Toby Whithouse episodes, but Whithouse generally seems to be arguing that it's fundamentally immoral for the Doctor to offer human beings trips in space and time. So Vampires of Venice has some (light) comparisons between Amy and the vampire girls, suggesting that she's been damaged / corrupted / victimised by her experiences (which is true and happens repeatedly after) and then God Complex goes full mask off and has various characters explicitly talk about these concerns in the text.

Amy has a darker and edgier time that pretty much any Doctor Who companion out there, barring maybe Compassion from the EDAs. The series just repeatedly ignores any interest in her feeling or managing her trauma, so the effects are elided.

Similar to Tegan, who gets next to zero resolution to having the Mara gently caress her up, not once but twice