Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

2house2fly posted:

Imagine the universe as a tall building, with each floor being a different period of history. The Time War is one floor of that building and all the doors are locked so none of the participants can go to a different floor. Rassilon's plan is to pick the lock on a door to a stairwell and get himself to another floor, doing so much damage to the building itself in the process that the whole thing comes tumbling down. David Tennant shoves him back in and locks the stairwell door, and then later Matt Smith moves everyone he likes on that floor into a different building entirely.

I approve of your choice of metaphor being pretty much exactly the caliber that the show itself would use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I feel like it's weird to go ACAB against Danny, when there's a more recent companion that literally was a cop. And if what DavidCameronsPig says is at least broadly right, it actually makes some relative level of sense that she was one; Yaz clearly wanted to do right, wanted to be respected for that, and was good at the parts of being a cop that even cop abolitionists recognize that we want, with the social and crisis worker stuff. Not written well, granted, but she's directly there, while Danny's not.

Speaking as an Australian, I think our cops are somewhere between the US and UK situations; they're armed (in a country where that's broadly not a given among the populace), they use really lovely shows of force, and in some cities they've got known lovely connections, but they're generally well-disciplined on your average day, don't get much in the way of the basically-military equipment, and I don't think get paid very well or are considered especially high-status. I overall get the vibe that it's still at least loosely plausible to be seen as an aspirational job for a kid that wants to help people if they're not in a marginalized part of society that's probably had poor relationships with the cops, but those days are numbered, and they don't exactly have the 'cool kid' appeal that US cops have. Something's probably gonna change, but it isn't likely to be loud or fast. And it's kinda hard to tell what an anti-police movement looks like when they don't have huge, undeniable flashpoints to rally around.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 1, 2024

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Random Stranger posted:

The thing that annoyed me the most in this one was all of the Tesla worship since for a long time you couldn't alternate your current online without someone going, "TESLA! SCIENCE! :swoon:" and it felt like the show was part of all of that bullshit, though a few years late.

I kinda feel like that episode was a bit of an... I guess 'post-I loving Love Science' Tesla story, if that makes sense? That energy of the re-evaluation has definitely petered out, but said re-evaluation is definitely still there, and Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror is just what stories about Edison and Tesla are like after it.

It's definitely still very enthusiastic about Tesla, but not really in a way that's abnormal from Doctor Who in general. Doctor Who loves a 'this is why this historical figure was rad' episode, and this was just one of those.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Infinitum posted:

If a UNIT show exists to bring back old companions for cameos I'm all for it.

But yea Noel Clarke in the bin

Ah, yes, the Doctor Who equivalent of the one Star Trek show everyone wants Paramount to make.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Khanstant posted:

I'm still hoping the section 31 show doesn't happen and don't know anyone wanting it to be made lol.

It's really getting in the way of the right callback show to make for Star Trek:

A medical drama starring Dr. Bashir dealing with all kinds of weird space diseases, with his husband as a guest star.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2024

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Under the Lake/Before the Flood feel like the sort of story Moffat would write under RTD that'd become a highlight of the season.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I do like the whole idea of both 12 and 1 avoiding their regeneration and them helping each other figure it out. The rest of the episode is a mess, but that and the Christmas Armistice bit was nice. Oh and "They cut out all the jokes!"

I still adore the opening. "Previously... 800 episodes ago"

The episode itself was a bit of a whiff in execution (I only just with this post remembered it was the Christmas Truce episode), but so much of its singular ideas were fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Open Source Idiom posted:

It shouldn't bother me, but it annoys me that one of Bill's primary character notes in The Pilot is that she's a scifi nerd, and then this never comes up again. Her very next episode has the Doctor explaining cryosleep to her.

In fairness, 'sci-fi nerd' might be one of the hardest things to write in a sci-fi show, especially one like Doctor Who with a legacy. It'd only be a matter of time until you accidentally hit an 'Einstein exists in the Starfox universe' problem, where she references something that in part exists because of Doctor Who.

In fact, I can guarantee it: The Cybermen are pretty much the very first example of a modern-day cyborg. So if Bill recognized their general thing through sci-fi experience, then you accidentally create a situation where Doctor Who exists within itself.

...also, there's just a high chance that it becomes really annoying and tension-deflating.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
God, it would be so weird in the funniest possible way for them to cast a Doctor who got famous thriugh impressions of other Doctors. A good weird, but still weird.

I can actually imagine that being a really good casting choice for a 'non-Doctor', like in that one Tennant special.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I feel like Doctor Who is the last thing with James Cordon in it that that actually knew what James Cordon's strengths are. He's good at playing a relatively schlubby but overall pretty charming everyman, so I'm not surprised that his first career-definer was a sitcom, but that's clearly not what he wants to be so he keeps getting himself horribly cast.

He's like a British version of someone like Kevin James. Although from what I know Kevin James is actually a pretty nice person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Khanstant posted:

Who seems like it could be the perfect show for classic long seasons, with a wide variety of writers bringing different stuff that may or may not tie in at all with the seasonal "thing." Sure weave in some episodes to advance the arc of that Doctor, but also just let us see what wild concepts writers can think of to throw at the Doctor and co.

How they do things now you can dip out of whole seasons if you're not that into the main hook because everything will tend to wrap around that in a big way. X-Files had their main story EPS and monsters of the week and on a rewatch that's great because you can skip all the main story that you know goes nowhere interesting in the end and just enjoy the monsters like an anthology series.

I feel like the struggle with Doctor Who and 'classic long seasons' is budget. Budgets for all kinds of TV production have gone up for all manner of reasons, but for an action show with a bunch of diverse sets like Doctor Who it's largely expanding VFX budgets and on-set shooting. You can't exactly get away with shooting in a warehouse filled with greenery and calling it a jungle when everything's in HD.

I'd also point to Star Trek for comparative evidence that it's not really doable. Trek's much the same sort of show, and actually has way more capacity for bottle episodes thanks to having a lot of standard sets, and they still don't.

I'd love to see people spitball more weirdass episodes of Doctor Who, it's perfect for that sort of variety, but unfortunately the industry isn't really there anymore.