Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Finally got around to watching the Christmas special. It was decent enough for that kind of thing and I certainly like Ncuti but I think I'm over the sugar rush high of Rusty and show being back and am really looking forward to more of a variation in tone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The War Mickey.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

We are watching the S3 Dalek two parter and Space Cadet is convinced that their plan is to make a giant Dalek from the Empire State Building.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

2house2fly posted:

If you're watching the whole series through then getting to Amy and Rory's last episode will be a treat

I'm skipping the odd scary one after what happened with The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances so I'm not sure what I'll end up doing for the Angel stuff. Might only miss Blink though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Did people really not like 12 here? I remember those years being quite well-liked, if nitpicked a bit for funsies.

If I had to describe the consensus (coincidentally my own view) I'd say that seasons 8 and 9 are hit and miss (some great episodes, some stinkers, arcs that don't really land) and that season 10 is one of the best of the revival.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I know there are some parents in the thread: how early did you start show them Doctor Who? My oldest is five, which still feels young to me, but he wants to watch it because he got a few Doctor Who books from relatives.

Space Cadet is 7 at the moment. She'd seen some classic stuff when she was a bit younger but we started modern Who earlier this year.

It's going to depend a lot on the kid and how well they deal with scary stuff. Some episodes you can pick in advance are going to be an issue but some are a bit harder. She found the alt-universe Cyberman two-parter pretty scary because of the cyber conversion scene (I think it was the first person perspective for the blades and saws) which was a really brief bit and one I'd forgotten about.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I decided to watch some Sylvester McCoy stories I hadn't seen (and a few I had).

• Paradise Towers
    I'd seen this before but I decided to start my watch here because I remember liking it. And I still do. It's messy and uneven and the budget is a fraction of a percent of what would be needed to deliver on the promised visuals but the ensemble cast are a lot of fun and it has the kind of high concept, campy, revolutionary feel that a lot of good Who has. It was interesting to see this again after rewatching Gridlock because I hadn't realised how close the family resemblance was, and it probably helped the episode feel modern in a way it didn't the first time I saw it. It's not quite a classic but it gets a lot of the way there.
  • Delta and the Bannermen
    Ironically this also feels more modern than the release date would suggest too, since the Doctor and Mel end up in Wales through convoluted means and are caught up in a love triangle and an intergalactic bounty hunt. It's got a bit of a reputation for being bad but I was disappointed by that and just found it boring instead.
  • Dragonfire
    It feels weird to call this a run-of-the-mill story given the introduction of Ace, the infamous cliffhanger and (less notably but still interesting) some FX/production work that is pretty good, especially for the era. But there's just not much to talk about and if you do it's hard to avoid things like Mel's awkward exit ore the related matter of Glitz' more arseholeish characterisation. It's fine I guess.
  • Happiness Patrol
    This is an absolute fever dream that anticipates the "louder, gayer, and with access to a time machine" spirit of the RTD era and it rules. It's working with a lot of the same ingredients as Paradise Towers (the bolshy spirit, the camp) but the recipe is so much better and it finishes strongly rather than slightly deflating before being served.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Seeds of Doom has a massive tonal shift after the first two episodes but it's fantastic throughout and has so many all-time great 4th Doctor moments.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 18, 2024

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Strax is a little like Dr. Spaceman in that he's just the same joke over and over again, but it's a joke I enjoy, so I don't mind.

It's nice to feel loved.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Okay got to Image of the Fendahl and hey wouldnt you know it you got some Quatermass in my Doctor Who. Real drat decent story. I appreciate that they totally sidelined K-9 because it would not have been appropriate.

Very Good.

edit:

Okay moved onto The Sun Makers and looks like they sidelined K-9 again. I appreciate Leelas " The people rise up and slay their oppressors". Never change Leela.

K9 gets sidelined for various reasons, one of which being that the earlier versions of the prop really didn't work well outdoors (later versions just mostly didn't).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

One of the scarves was two scarves attached together wasn't it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There is a bit in the finale of Chibnall's first season where The Doctor admits she was talking poo poo about guns and weapons but it doesn't get any real followup.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Gonna be real honest and say that I just do not like K-9 at all. Either as a companion or a plot device. He has all these abilities that just happen to be perfect for getting the Doctor out of situations. He's also rather boring looking and doesn't ever do anything beyond "Stun the enemies" or "Stun the enemies".

Just not a fan.

You aren't the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asqdrlZnOAg

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Power of Kroll has some interesting behind-the-scenes stuff and if you squint you can see it as a first draft of Caves of Androzani but as a story in its own right it doesn't really work.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's well-known trivia but Life, the Universe and Everything was based on ideas Adams had for a Doctor Who story called The Krikkitmen.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Companion is a future Doctor" is one of the two parts of my showrunner pitch. The other is a story about a fugitive being pursued by a deadly foe titled "The Quarry of Death" or "The Quarry of the Daleks".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

quote:

Countess : My dear, I don't think he's as stupid as he seems.
Count : My dear, nobody could be as stupid as he seems.
is my favourite bit of dialogue out of many great lines.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

McSpankWich posted:

I've been lurking here for awhile and the discussion of best episodes comes up a bunch and there's been a few popular choices, but shockingly not one mention of Vincent and The Doctor.

Not only would I vote this my favorite episode of Matt Smith's era but also of NuWho entirely. It's such a good portrayal of the reality (and difficulty) of depression, and just a great monster adventure overall. Is there a reason this guy never gets mentioned?

10/10 episode, one of my favourites.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

None of these questions overly detract from the story for me
They sure did for me!

Praxeus is where the whole "they filmed the first draft" feeling of the era really crystallised for me (though the Battle of I'm Not Looking Up the Name provided a lot of supporting evidence).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I rewatched Kinda a few days ago and it's great, absolutely recommend it. Even if you don't like it it's still going to be memorable in a way that, say, Four to Doomsday isn't.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If I ever write a Doctor Who story there's going to be an aside about an alien species that lays moon-sized eggs right next to planet-sized food sources.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Clouseau posted:

Yeah I almost singled this out as not being particularly fun to talk about but I noped out of it early, so maybe there was something intriguingly bad in there (probably not.)

Kerblam!, the Timeless Child stuff and Flux are all capable of generating huge amounts of discussion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Was Jericho even relevant enough to make more stories of?

I liked his character in the episode and (as people said) the concept works as well as many spin-offs that did get made.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

What does it mean to be politically aware in a historical story, as opposed to Moffat's Thin Ice and such?

Rosa and Demons of the Punjab suggest an interest in recent, important, and controversial parts of history in a way that Moffat (and Davies) didn't really display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

There's like maybe four Chibnall episodes where if anyone mentions the title, I don't go "wait, what happened in that one?"

I remember a lot of them but still stumble with ones like Can You Hear Me?