Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

voted Key to Time, results did not disappoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Danny was awful, Clara was bad enough already by that season and then they just added Danny in to drag her down further. His ending is also rubbish.

don't even get me started on CyberBrig

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Warthur posted:

I'm probably a bad person but when I saw the bit where Danny talks about how he dug a bunch of wells and people don't talk about that in connection with military service half of my brain thought "Well, Oxfam and that lot dig plenty of wells without the armed forces component so it kind of makes sense that people concentrate on the stuff unique to militaries which make them militaries" and half of my brain thought that this was a really weird use of the "...but you gently caress one sheep..." joke.

Though if we are going to morally condemn Danny, we may as well do it for him and Clara deciding it was perfectly fine to let all the kids fry in a solar flare in In the Forest of the Night because it was better to get them home to their parents, to die screaming and burning in their arms, than let them go off with the Doctor in the TARDIS to maybe survive somewhere.

Sure, the kids all survived and the flare didn't kill anyone because checks notes... a magic instant forest stopped it? No, clearly my notes are wrong. Anyway, something happened in that episode which clearly wasn't the forest thing, because that would be stupid, and the kids lived. But based on the knowledge Clara and Danny had, they were condemning the kids to die without even getting their opinions (the flare was news to the kids, a later scene emphasises this). What the gently caress?

For that matter, Danny loses a ton of points with me when he talks up how he doesn't want to go on a TARDIS trip even to watch a solar flare from an unbeatable vantage point because he's just too normie to enjoy or like anything weird or special, and then mere breaths later repeats Maebh's point about trusting more and fearing less. I get that he's meant to be a more grounded character who's suspicious of the TARDIS and doesn't want to get caught up in weird poo poo but there's a point where you seem to lack imagination, curiosity, and soul, and the point when he's passing up a chance to witness cosmic wonder and would rather condemn kids to die as solar radiation flash-barbecues them a la the Terminator 2 nuclear war scene is way, way beyond that point.

Pretty much this. You're not a bad person, Danny was extremely poorly written, and as others have mentioned the whole concept behind his character was flawed to begin with in any case.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If I had to describe the consensus (coincidentally my own view) I'd say that seasons 8 and 9 are hit and miss (some great episodes, some stinkers, arcs that don't really land) and that season 10 is one of the best of the revival.

This is pretty much where I'm at as well. Even if Series 10 has the Monks thing.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Coward posted:

From what I remember, Doctor Falls was written as the Twelfth Doctor's final story. Then Chibnall lets Moffat know he won't be ready in time to do a Christmas ep, doesn't want to do one, he'll just drop it and do the first story in the new year. Moffat gets concerned that dropping the highly visible prime Christmas slot that has been reserved for Who since RTD will damage the show's place in the public consciousness. So he holds on to the Christmas slot with a new regeneration story. The reason Twice Upon A Time feels a bit like a hastily thrown together anticlimactic afterthought is because it apparently was.

Does give me echoes of Last Christmas where apparently Shona was being set up as the new companion, but then Jenna Coleman during the readthrough confirms she will stay on and we get that one "It was a dream again!" too many.

E: beaten like the idea of New Years Day specials

wow, gently caress Jenna Coleman then

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

MikeJF posted:

- Shona's actor.

I love Faye Marsay tho, and she'd make a great addition if they'd ever have her back

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

The mention of Paul Darrow chewing the scenery has reminded me of this amazing five seconds from the inexplicable TV game show version of Clue/Cluedo from the 90s:

https://x.com/poynterton/status/1518706541817384964?s=20

I highly recommend every season and special of that show except the 4th, where it ran up against the early 1990s obsession with really awkward and gross attempts at smut.

All of them are available on YouTube. Full of actors anyone even passingly familiar with British TV would recognize.

Tom Baker is Professor Plum in the 3rd, David McCallum played Plum in the 2nd, and a young Kristoffer Tabori played him in the 1st, over a decade before he was the voice of HK-47 in KOTOR.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Peter’s still a police officer with the Met, but he works in the Folly/Special Assessment Unit, a division dedicated to magic-related incidents, away from the main operational depts and your standard bigoted plod.

I should make a RoL thread in books. There’s an urban fantasy thread, but the RoL stuff gets buried a lot there.

Please do. I love those books.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I was a fan of Maid Marian And Her Merry Men as a kid so I got a little thrill at the Worksop shoutout

Loved that show. It wasn't until much later in life I realized what the hell the Crystal Maze episode was all about.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Zaroff posted:

When (or where) did you watch it? The two shows were being shown around the same time, so anyone who’d have watched MM in the UK would have been aware of The Crystal Maze.

The ABC, and then also the Comedy Channel, on early Foxtel (cable television) in Australia, probably late 90s. I had no idea what the Crystal Maze was because I don't think it ever aired here or we even had a version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

The Crystal Maze has such an odd production history.

In 1989, French tv was making a show, Fort Boyard, a game show about solving puzzles, doing challenges, and collecting keys to a treasure room at the end of the episode. British tv company Chatsworth acquired the format, but couldn’t schedule time to film at the titular Fort Boyard (a real fort completely surrounded by the sea off the coast of France!) so they initially made a FB pilot using sets and filmed it at Elstree studios. It looked dreadful, so they asked FB’s creator for help and he suggested the Crystal Maze format.

Eventually the UK did get its own Fort Boyard with Geoffrey Bayldon, Leslie Grantham and Melinda Messenger hosting/as characters (and eventually Tom Baker!) and is one of 34 countries to have their own version of the show!

My companion and I watched an ep last year while in France and it’s wild. For one, the episode was 2.5 hours long, and there’s a huge amount of lore behind it all where the characters in the fort all have their own motivations and history, which evolves season to season.

Funny cos the first time I even heard about Fort Boyard was a week or so ago - they made a Fort Boyard video game - mostly FMV - and a speedrun of it ran during this year's AGDQ Awful Block. Some of the worst old age makeup I've ever seen.