Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

On the other hand, when it's set on Earth, Doctor Who is usually in London, and the main difference between the Met and American cops is that the Met aren't armed to the teeth yet.

Like I'm finding it hard to square these boy scout esque defenders of public safety with the force that tolerated Wayne "four previous counts of indecent exposure and literally nicknamed 'the Rapist' by his fellow officers" Couzens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Barely? I don't think they'd interacted at all.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If it's so easy then why didn't RTD do it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Isn't that just the opening of the Davros episode he wrote? Moffat doesn't seem the type to reuse an idea.

It's literally the first peril in Genesis of the Daleks

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Very funny that Moffat wrote such a terrible episode purely to hold the Christmas time slot for a guy who hosed it off at the first opportunity

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Do I ever have a suggestion for these two

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I think the idea is pretty much supposed to be that the "split" is just that eventually 14 and his TARDIS becomes 15 and his TARDIS?

But yeah, the TARDIS would probably have no issue with being in two places at the same time. Hell, if Scaroth can do it...

The TARDIS has frequently been in two or even three places at the same time. Day of the Doctor, for instance.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

God Little Britain was VILE

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Jelly Babies are loving weird they're covered in what I am assuming is cornstarch which gives them a strange taste.

It's not so much the taste, it's a bit of a squeaky feeling on your teeth. Easily dealt with though, just suck them a bit before you chew.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Harness and maybe Moffat clearly had a cute idea that the real world audience would turn their lights on/off to "vote" when it aired, making it into a television event.

I was tempted to turn my television off alright

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

2house2fly posted:

In The End Of Time he jumps out of a moving spaceship from hundreds of feet up. Though in that case his fall was broken by a glass ceiling

Ah, so Jodie survived because she was also breaking a glass ceiling

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What, you're telling me you have trouble remembering names like the Chintlonians?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah but the guy who said "shooting's quicker" was bad trump no good trump man and he made a mean face so you know he's in the wrong

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

radmonger posted:

AI ball gargling

gently caress off?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Quote is not edit

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We haven't actually had that many episodes with the Paternoster gang, but what we have had is far more than enough.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

according to chris chibnall, dyspraxia means you have trouble climbing ladders but does not interfere with your ability to effortlessly headshot robots with a laser rifle

also don't forget that graham is weirdly ablist towards ryan in this one episode and it never comes up or is acknowledged ever again

"Suppose you'll blame this one on the dyspraxia too, eh? Can't ride a bike, started an alien invasion..."

Writing it down like that, it feels like it was supposed to be a joke, but he sure did say it unironically cruelly.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not gonna hold recognising a costume element against it, a lot of classic sci-fi props were built around off the shelf things. Like the Ghostbusters' scanner things they use to pick up Thetans or whatever, that's just an electric shoe polisher with prongs and blinky lights stuck on.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 9, 2024

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Right but ya gotta glue the extra to recontextualize it. I did not recognize the mask and it just looked like some weird tactical paintball nerd mask.

Sure, but it would look like that even if it wasn't one. it sucks as a prop but the reason isn't that they got it somewhere

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

She literally defeats the Master by loving up his perception filter so the Nazis recognise he's not white and, as far as she knows, will send him to a camp and gas him to death. This is presented as the Doctor being clever and finding a smart way to deal with the Master.

Literally every other writer and showrunner up to this point has understood that this is not who the Doctor is. The Doctor would not actively throw ANYONE into the jaws of a genocide machine, regardless of what they've done. They'd hurl themselves into that machine and gum up the works first.

It's not the case that the Doctor defeats the Master by doing that. He's already defeated, and *then* she does that just so the Nazis will treat him extra badly.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

I doubt Moffat saw it like that when he wrote that bit.

Well that's the problem yes

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FreezingInferno posted:

People were not very fond of that bit in The Crimson Horror when Doctor Who dipped Jenny and gave her a big kiss.

Also, this scene, not wonderful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei2quMm4qHk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I always took the guns thing as maybe Jack had fought Daleks before, but they were pre Time War Daleks that didn't have forcefields.