Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rewatched the TV movie since it’s been awhile and today is New Year’s Eve, and now I’m giggling to myself thinking about 11’s “the first face this face saw” line before his regeneration and how for 8 that face is Will Sasso.

I’m picturing 8 dying in the TARDIS as Will Sasso slowly descends a staircase before touching his face and saying “Frankenstein man… goodnight.”

Oh, you rewatched it too? I showed it at movie night. It's so 90s. I had seen it for the first time last week. So I saw it twice for New Years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
While it looks like we moved on a bit, I'll say this: all cops are awful regardless of the nation they serve and one should never aspire to be one or ever treat a single blue fascist with respect and soldiers are even worse and deserve less respect for how they are a part of an imperialist, colonist machine that terrorizes the global south. You can recognize much of what occurs is the result of the system while also recognizing anyone who joins that services have agreed to do horrific acts of inhuman violence on their fellow man as an inherent element of their position. The Doctor, often portrayed in a heroic (though, sometimes morally dubious) light should treat both groups with scorn outright. My views on this broadened and solidified after meeting quite a few people from the global south. Those experiences led me to have to question myself as many pretty much told me that they like me but would be thrilled if all of western civilization collapsed since its entire existence is the direct source of almost all of their societal problems, as we steal their resources, kill their leaders, install dictator puppets, enslave them literally like with the MARS corporation, and other horrible acts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://cohost.org/covok/post/4045435-doctor-who-out-of

https://cohost.org/covok/post/4039559-if-you-like-the-11th

https://cohost.org/covok/post/4039332-doctor-who-out-of

I've been posting my reviews of Doctor Who stuff on my cohost. I only did three so far but I plan to do more. I am 3/4 through volume 1 of Stranded and will probably do an impression afterwards. Maybe I should also do some of my thoughts on classic who.

Also, I might have said it, but I was thinking of doing a Doctor Who RPG 2nd edition solo game using Mythic GM Emulator. That could be fun.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

People just got too scared about the feelings awakened in them by his Pertwee hair.

At the risk of sounding creepy, all the Doctors are kind of hot. Like, Colin Baker is hot, Tom Baker is hot, Peter Davidson is hot, John Pertwee is mega hot, David Tenant is hot, Christopher Eccelston is hot, Matt Smith is hot, etc. etc. Like, all of them are pretty dang hot. Yes, even Sylvester McCoy, since my friend thought I was weird for saying all of them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Infinitum posted:

*Accents exist*
Random American: "YOU BRITS EVER CONSIDER SPEAKING ENGLISH?"

Listen, yesterday, I watched the first episode of Primeval because it looked cool and some of y'all accents are like listening to someone talk with their head in jello.

Covok
May 27, 2013

lines posted:

I'm kinda interested actually which ones really stand out (I have not seen the crap 00s dinosaur show). Like the West Country accent is notoriously funny-sounding to British ears but actually given that (I think?) that is quite similar to some historical American accents maybe that one actually sounds more normal than, I don't know, Geordie or whatever.

It was the main palentologist I remember having the most problem with. Cutter.

Here is a clip. https://youtu.be/WE-PUUN65ME

Also, the first episode was fine.

Funny enough, it sounds clearer now. Like, I acclimating.

Covok
May 27, 2013

SiKboy posted:

I think the word is "learning".

Isn't that what "acclimating" means? It refers to the specifc situation when you go to a new place and get used to their culture and norms? Or is it that "acclimating" has some bad baggage, like colonialism or something?

Covok
May 27, 2013

lines posted:

Yes, I would say acclimatise. That's an interesting variation.

He really does just sound like an average Scottish person to me! Fascinating really - I think of American accents as being much more varied than that. Like yon folk up in Minnesota - now that's a lovely accent, very interesting. Could see an interesting Who filmed/set up in that part of the US actually - Who does Fargo or something.

Here's a dirty secret of American TV: we don't use 90% of our regional accents or dialog in most of our media. Most characters use "neutral" accent, which is actually a midwestern accent. Most Americans see the accent as "neutral." Then, the next most popular would be the "southern" accent, which is actually an exaggerated Texas accent. New York comes up, but they are actually more common in mafia media and period pieces then anything set in a contemporary period. Outside of that, anything is a rarity. You never see a Wisconsin accent on TV or a Missourian or Kentucky, etc. And that's not even getting into the kind of racist "race based" accent casting that has thankfully been dying down over the last 20 years.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Hell yeah! I'm all in on 12th Doctor revisionism. It was a good time, even though it felt like a bad time, at the time. Because it felt like a bad time, even

I binged Calpadia last year. I really enjoyed it. People are way to mean to Clara. I peaced out on Spyfall because my Doctor Who game died when I was the watching the episode. Like, literally. I sent a text about how I was going to handle my time as The Doctor in the game and then it died. Since I was the GM, the player thought I was torturing the Doctor in the last season to justify my Doctor being sad. But it was actually just a concidence and I wanted an epic final confrontational with the Master to mean stuff.

What was I talking about?

Oh yeah, Calpadi is great. I should finish the Jodie era eventually.

Oh fun fact about that TRPG campaign, I came up with this idea where the Doctor's companion was a girl from Victorian England who actually died and was a living paradox because someone changed the past. Last Christmas, my sister in law bought me the Charlie Pollard arc for the 8th Doctor. Imagine my loving surprise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

I found the initial character actively repellent in a way his character arc didn't fully address, so I've never gotten fully on board with the guy.

This is why I did click off. Smith was my first Doctor. I had went backwards to Eccleston at the time. When he became Capaldia, it felt like a place to step off. When Jodie became Tenant again, that got me back into Doctor Who again and led to the roleplaying game and me catching up and getting into Big Finish and Classic W--

God drat, Rusty's loving publicity stuck got me hook, line, and sinker. I am proof of that "you are not immune to propaganda" meme.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

That's ridiculous.

Charley is from EDWARDIAN times. Totally different.

No spoilers BUT I see one audio is called "Neverland." In my game, the character was "Alice Little" and, when the Paradox got to be too much, the universe imploded and became Alice in Wonderland. I based that on the "Wedding of River Song," but now I wonder if this is literally what they are building to in the audio dramas.

ONCE AGAIN, NO SPOILERS.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's quit the role to focus on acting acting, which is probably for the best. The Netflix algorithm seems to like him and he's getting cast in a lot of live action stuff now (e.g. Seven Kings Must Die).

The arc for that series has actually been fairly tight and has a lot of energy to it (despite a dud story or two), and the actor they got to play Valarie (Saifyya Ingar) is also really really good. They have insanely good chemistry with Dudman, and the season's tendency to put the character through the ringer means that they get a lot of chances to give really, really great performances. They're a really good team.

Yeah, Valerie Lockwood might be the best companion that 11th ever had, if we're being honest. I like Valerie better than Amy or Clara. And, honestly, this audio drama series of far has been just as good, if not a little better than Series 5. It might ironically end up being the best Matt Smith season...without Matt Smith. Really depends how they stick the landing in the last volume. Moffat's biggest stumbling block was always his ending. Let's see if Alwfie Shaw can avoid that problem.

Covok
May 27, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I liked him so much on Who that I was briefly fooled into thinking he didn't suck as both a performer and a human being.

Actually? Same. Like, actually same.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Maybe Doctor Who would benefit from the BBC letting some new blood take over who love the franchise but has never gotten a chance to really have say over it. Maybe someone not related to an executive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

The praxeus infection looked like the tooth monster from Channel Zero, and that produced the same sort of visceral ‘nonono’ reaction in me.

loving same, mate. I absolutely hate it. It just makes me so loving uncomfortable when the skin turns to scales. Just "nope!"