Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

drat this sure is some fine Doctor Who discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DoctorWhat posted:

In no way did this constitute a derail. Doctor Who is a science fiction and fantasy television program that frequently explores and addresses sociopolitical themes including militarization, imperialism and resource extraction. Using real world analogs and examples to engage with these fictional uses of political ideas and themes is appropriate.

It had broken away from Doctor Who though. Imo discuss those things while keeping it clearly anchored in the show and how those ideas relate to it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Season 12 Episode 4: Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror
Written by Nina Metivier, Directed by Nida Manzoor

I'm really bad at remembering the names of characters and alien species and I actually didn't realize until now that the aliens from this episode weren't the same ones as from The Runaway Bride.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In the 4 eps so far RTD has been looking at all kinds of old plot hooks and mystery boxes and throwbacks and I think is getting ready to give a :catdrugs: continuity season starting from this problem of "ok, so I was handed this insane situation for both the universe and the character how do I move forward without throwing it in the garbage" and his solution is to drive through it instead of around - look for as many other things like that as possible from the history of the show and mash em all together so that "this makes no sense at all wtf is happening" is really the theme and question.

Off the top of my head already we've had the return of three companions, a new self-contradictory doctor, a throwback to a Hartnell-era villain who works by anti-science rules, a new villain that seems to work by similar anti-science rules, and several places where the dialogue acknowledges that none of this makes any sense. The story this series is going to be about why nothing makes any sense.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Clouseau posted:

I think the continuity heavy stuff was a fun treat for the 60th, and the Gatwa stuff is going to be a break from it. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I think RTD will follow his instincts that he had when he relaunched the show the first time and be very selective and careful with continuity.

The difference though is the context of when he's taking control. Last time he had the clean break and blank slate. This time he has been handed a very present and active Gordian knot of continuity. It's like Hunter S Thompson and his advice on hitting wildlife: if you can't avoid the collision, hit the gas and not the brake.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

2house2fly posted:

I'm gobsmacked to this day that Chibnall decided to give the character a whole new backstory, in such a way that it indelibly stains the whole show. And even more than that, the Doctor finding out about that backstory wasn't even the plot of the episode it was revealed in. The Master used it as a distraction while he got his Time Lord Cybermen up and running. This insane retcon of the entire show was functionally a set of keys being jangled for a few minutes. And it was sandwiched between the bizarrely insane plot twists of Gallifrey being destroyed again and half of the entire universe being erased from existence. Chris, mate, what are you thinking

I think this is why RTD is driving into it instead of pretending that it doesn't exist - resolve it in some way to get the stench off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Narsham posted:

It was a bad writing choice. In universe, I'm not sure claiming the Master is "a person of color" is especially accurate, and I think it's hard to take seriously "the Master will end up gassed to death in a concentration camp" as a potential outcome of that scene, but Chibnall really should have been thinking about the world he was living in at the time, too.

This is where I am on it. A couple of Nazi mooks are nothing more than annoyance and a distraction to The Master, with a sprinkling of "his own petard," but the problem is in isolation that takes more explanation than the other reading.