Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

New thread? Oooo, new thread, that's weird.

Now, where was I? Oh, right - you made me think there was some weird new news about the 96 movie with that thread title. 😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Ooh, should've waited a little longer to post. But then I ran the risk of not getting my joke in...

Looks like we've got a big 7th Doctor release:

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-seventh-doctor-adventures-the-last-day-1-2626

quote:

There is always injustice to fight. There is always a new danger for the universe. But what if the Doctor found a way to put things right, once and for all? Would it really be so terrible to take a stand? Would the end justify the means? And would his friends agree? The Seventh Doctor’s last day is coming…

Joining Sylvester McCoy, the story stars his television co-stars Sophie Aldred as Ace and Bonnie Langford as Melanie Bush.
Plus, from the worlds of audio drama, Lisa Bowerman as Professor Bernice Summerfield, Philip Olivier as Thomas Hector “Hex” Schofield, Amy Pemberton as Sally Morgan, Maggie O’Neill as Lysandra Aristedes, Yasmin Bannerman and Travis Oliver as Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester, and Chase Masterson as Vienna Salvatori.

We’re also promised the returning menace of Geoffrey Beevers as the Master, and Dan Starkey as the Sontarans.

12 parts of Sly scheming and plotting? I am onboard. If I wasn't already sold by that, including Beevers' Master was the cherry on top that pushed it over.

Diving into this today, will report back!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm an episode in, and I'm mostly being annoyed with how mediocre Joe Kraemer's score and sound design is. I'm used to him self-plagiarizing, I'm used to him ripping off John Williams, but the bit where the newscast jingle comes on made me do a double take. It's the opening to the DS9 theme.

Well, I'm having phone issues that are preventing me from listening at the moment. So this is now on hold while I perform tech support.

Hopefully the rest of it covers for the mediocre scoring.

McGann
May 19, 2003

re: The Last Day/BF chat

Yeah like I'm one episode in it's okay so far. They're basically doing Infinity War, as far as I can tell, which is fair enough. But they're also trying to stitch together the work of a bunch of different recording sessions and unfortunately BF have sent their worst director and sound guy to solve the problem.

There's cool stuff, like some of the structural cleverness in the first episode -- I'm a fan of how the first episode basically explains exactly what's going on without anyone actually being told anything -- but, on the other hand, I'm also pretty sure Bonnie Langford has no idea what's going on either.

It's the kind of story where you actually need a director who's got a strong handle on the material because the plot relies on a bunch of references to other stories, it's being relayed to us via implication, it's jumping around all over the place, it's being recorded without actors being anywhere near each other (seven recording sessions for something that would normally take three)... and Samuel Clemens is just not up to that IMO. So, you end up with a reliable actor like Langford actively struggling to track her character's emotional state from scene to scene. Feels like a bit of a mixed bag.

Good lord, you weren't kidding about it needing a stronger hand. This is a very confusing story. I am happy to hear the returning characters, of the ones I recognize. I haven't listened to Black and White since it came out, and definitely did not remember that returning character as an example. And I have no clue who the woman that The Doctor talks to in his "Prison/Zoo". None of the cast list character names ring a bell.

It's got the same level of confusion that Once and Future had. I can feel parts of a really clever story, but it's muddled in a bunch of poor plotting and storytelling.

I'm 4 parts in and all I've gotten so far is We're doing Time Lord Victorious with the 7th Doctor I guess? And Ace somehow. I should probably not listen to this one passively, that was a mistake.

edit: Okay, finished part 1 and they overreached badly. Listening to the interviews did help me with some more context, so glad for that. But not much.

McGann fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 3, 2024

McGann
May 19, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Mickey and Jack Harkness fuse together to form The Face Of No

This deserves so much attention, lmao

McGann
May 19, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Anyway the only eps of Capaldi's run that I can never seem to get into is the double parter Under the Lake & Before the Flood - Just think the villains a bit naff, with its romper stomper boots, and there's too much faffing about.

Otherwise I think 12 had a really solid run that was such a tonal difference to what people were used to that it probably threw them off a lot.

Once again this threads rule #1 works. I think those two episodes are some of the strongest (I love timey wimey poo poo). But yeah, that villain is the absolute weakest link in those. Weird cameo, lame villain, but love it none the less

Edit what a terrible page snipe.

I'll add some more. I'm currently almost through another re-listen of unit dominion and it has once again reminded me it's my favorite thing big finish has done.

I still laugh at the American and Japanese UNIT characters though, just the laziest shorthand in accent use 😂.

McGann fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 7, 2024

McGann
May 19, 2003

"my wife, who is at home right now being pregnant, would be very sad if anything happened to me, so I hope nothing bad happens to me because of my pregnant, pregnant wife"

Oh god, and any time the wife had to appear, it was the most depressing and pathetic thing. "oh my sweet Sargeant is not here, I'll just sleep until he's back because I'm not an actual person and only exist in relation to my secondary character husband"

I think I believe they were going for a sweet romance motivation, but it only made me think that both Mrs Wilson and Sargeant Wilson were absolutely pathetic.

"steady on rainn, I'm a married man with a Bae on the way" my guy, getting married does not immediately exclude you from flirty conversation.

I should point out that I've been dealing with a co-worker using me as a relationship coach (against my desires, I'm my looking for it lol) and it reminds me of this. Probably coloring my review this time around, because I don't remember being this annoyed on previous listens.

And that's my cue to stop before I write a thousand words on this story with no real point or goal.

McGann
May 19, 2003

The discussion of Jacob Dudman's 11 got me into the 11th series he is doing, and goddamn it was accurate saying he's "uncanny". They also get the tone down amazingly with the companion banter, especially when the stories are set after some travel time.

Amazing work and even more amazing considering Dudman came from (I believe) youtube impressions - I recall watching his doctor impressions years back, and promptly forgetting him until BF swept him up.

Probably find out he was already best buds with Nick Briggs or something but I love the YouTube narrative.

McGann
May 19, 2003

James Goss relocated to a cave in Turkey

Sorry, can you elaborate? I read through his Twitter and there seems to be a lot more interesting tidbits here than I even expected. Arrested? Fined for desecration of a monument?

But I refuse to join Twitter so I can't read any more than his first posts, leaving me even more intrigued

McGann
May 19, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Yep. Fun as hell. For the most they're pretty much comedies.

I still need to dive in to the series, I think I have listened to the first one. But I enjoy Strax hanging out with Jago and Litefoot, and the Churchill stories were.. Okay I guess.

I'm always down for more comedic Who from BF, will have to bump these up my list.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Just a brief aside, vaguely related to Who:

I want to say thank you to whoever mentioned Rivers of London in this thread (Ben Arranovich). I checked out a copy from my librarys ebook service (hoopla, fwiw, which I mainly use for doctor who comics. ..) and finished it the same day.

I'm now halfway through Moon Over Soho and it's just as enthralling. Doctor Who has been referenced directly at least three times that I've noticed, but never annoyingly so or in a manner that seems forced.

There are some parts where you can tell Arranovich likely has some more, let's say "parochial" views that bleeds through the writing and would be instantly called out in 2024, which surprised me given the 2011 publication date. But it never seems malicious, at least not to this Yank ( who might admittedly be missing some things due to cultural disconnects but he seems to be doing his best to be progressive using the language he is familiar with)

The comics any good? And if so, I guess I should figure out the best place to read them (in the book time-line, I mean)

McGann
May 19, 2003

lines posted:

What sort of view?

It's just pre-tipping point social/culture stuff. Regular use of "Transvestite", some minor misogynistic tones when describing women (She was ugly as poo poo, she HAD to be smart sorta line). As I noted, nothing glaring or anything appearing malicious - more a sense of "If this was written ten years later, this would be problematic, and if they author didn't agree it was problematic in retrospect, they probably did it intentionally". These could also easily be "This is the character's headspace, not the author's" but I find it takes a *very* skilled author to not let any of their own views bleed through.

I just think that those views were not intentionally malicious, much like any social issue that someone has very little interaction with, we tend to not think of the harm our words cause until its pointed out to us.

Dunno if that makes sense, just my gut feel from reading the first book and a half. They are *FANTASTIC* and he's an amazing author, those were minor nitpicks and the only thing I could possibly take issue with so far (and *only* if it was somehow intentional.) If I had to guess, I'd say ol Ben is pretty progressive, just with some boomer-age tinges that come off less than ideal.

McGann
May 19, 2003

lines posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Though I would say in 2011 "transvestite" was a reasonably normal word to use (though people would probably use it in a way that distinguished from transsexuals). Like, as in, I am saying this as a British trans person - it's not a term I've ever identified with but I'm fairly sure I know some people who at the very least did in the recent past, and I wouldn't necessarily consider use of it problematic now - though it depends how he was using it for sure. The misogyny sounds pretty unambiguous though! (As you say, could very much be a character view thing, but yes I agree at best that is definitely a misogynistic character.)
Makes sense - I should have specified, the character thinking the misogynistic bit was PC grant, the protagonist, which is why it stood out to me. However, thinking along the lines below..

Fil5000 posted:

I think that's how I read it - Peter is a young smart arse that alternates between being sure he knows everything and realising he knows nothing. He gets better as the books go on.

.. Also makes sense. 🤔And it does fit the character if this is part of his growth. As well, I'd understand the read that he thinks his way to due to youth and having trained through the Met.

Fwiw I suspected that some of my take away about the transvestite usage was colored by my American culture, I appreciate the clarification on its use in British vernacular

McGann
May 19, 2003

I just want to add, as I am late to the party, I really appreciate this thread for its willingness to dive into the cultural and other history surrounding the entertainment we discuss.

This side swerve into edge lord comedy etc during the 80s/90s is fantastic.

To add to the consensus, as a youth during the early 2000s who grew up on maxim, FHM, and even loving PC xcellerator magazine (basically maxim for gamers - they would have pin-ups of people like Morgan Webb, etc) definitely stunted my progressive development.

Though I am hesitant to say I wish I had not experienced it because teenage me would kill me. But I regularly want to kill that guy for screwing with adult me anyway so it would be fair 😂

Edit let me 3rd or 4th the request for rivers of London thread. I will be finishing Moon Over Soho today so I can finally go back and unspoiler the one mention of Pete's flaw from the book, though I'm fairly certain I know what it is already recently being halfway through. Same problem teenage me would have with removing maxim from history, I think.

Plus I'll need a place so I don't clutter Up This Thread as I continue through the series.

* apologies for any typos I missed, heavy Voice to Text usage

Last edit / I noticed around the urban fantasy thread but immediately ran into some spoilers for the Harry dresden series, so noped out fast 😂

McGann fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 22, 2024

McGann
May 19, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Say hi to Martha for us.

:allears:

Stuck watching multiple dogs, one injured, and wanted some classic serials for the background. Pluto currently running Delta and The Banner man.. Nope, but Caves is about to start on the Plex Who channel. Woot.

It's amazing, we have like three separate free view classic Who services now, not including britbox, i player and whatever Disney plus is doing

McGann fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 23, 2024

McGann
May 19, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I really like the noise of the window opening on the TARDIS. Mainly because it reminds me of the "Look, Rocks!" bit which kills me everytime I think of it.

One of these days, I'll get to quote this and someone will laugh.

Until then, I soldier on

McGann
May 19, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do some Troughton, era owns

Oh look, a great opinion!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Hollismason posted:

What serials should I cherry pick from Troughton and Pertwee. I know one of them has to be original appearance of the Master.

Obvious caveat of personal opinions but..

Troughton

Power of the Daleks *- great and probably the best reconstruction/animated, I saw it in the theater and did not feel ripped off in the slightest. However for this reason you may want to hold off after a few regular stories before diving in. It's his first story, though, so you lose that bit of context on return viewing.

Tomb of the cybermen - another classic and return of cybermen

Enemy of the world - I enjoy this one for Troughton double act (he plays the villain as well, and recently had episodes found so it's mostly complete)

The web of fear - sequel to abominable snowmen, return of the great intelligence, colonel (soon brigadier) Stewart and unit

The Mind Robber - a trip to the land of fiction to visit the "other" master. Great fun, bit of padding.

The Invasion - the return of the cybermen in force, the return of the brigadier (no longer colonel) and a classic

The war games - many say his best, and I can't argue except for the padding. First visit of The Time Lords and probably them at their most powerful.

Pertwee

The Daemons is a favorite of mine for a quick adventure, but I'm pretty spent from my Troughton list so imma call it quits 😂

Edit of except I'll add the obvious Terror Of the Autons for the master appearing as you mentioned. Not a bad standalone either iirc

McGann
May 19, 2003

BF really needs to stop telling stories about Indigenous Americans.

This new First Doctor story has Vicki, who's fully aware that Custer is a racist..

Oh lawd, I almost picked this up yesterday as I was looking for something different and dig the cover art. BF is bad at American anything, and bad at racism, so let's maybe not mix the two? Lmao

Edit I guess I wasn't paying attention first time, re reading the description. They brought Vicki back as an older woman? Curious the circumstances there.

McGann fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 27, 2024

McGann
May 19, 2003

I'm not McGann, but speaking of Minuet...

I was never that down on that story as a lot of others are, so take my read on it with a grain of salt, but the story of a popular religious demagogue running for the President on the basis of a right wing reform policy while also running a secret (child?) sex ring feels very modern. It's a stupid play, but the wild satirical mashup kind of works.

Honestly, I completely forget about Minuet in hell until it's referenced in a joke 😂.

I've got a lot of housework ahead of me so for kicks, I'm going to do a re listen today. Probably been a decade.

If you don't see me follow up, send the police, ambulances, fire, anybody with a flashing light. I need help!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

WHELL SAAAH, I DOOO DEE-CLARE, YOU ARE MAKING A TERRIBLE MAHSTAKE

Bad accents and amnesia, as far as the eye can see.

Hey now, that's an authentic Malebolgian accent.

My word, no dear lady, we are quite particular here at the Hellfire Club. Sufferin Succ'otash, yada yada.

Well, I'm 5 minutes in and already laughing at the obvious "....hell." name drop early on.

It's bad when the best accent we have is Peri-level, but I shall trudge forward.

"Chaaawww-leee" - Becky Lee from LA

("and locals not shooting each other that often?" Becky describing the differences in LA/London got an actual lol from me, funny then no doubt but even more darkly hilarious now.)

McGann
May 19, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's also written by the guy who played the cyborg waiter dude in Deep Breath!

Speaking love.. what was the general consensus on his death? Talked into suicide or pushed? I'm a fan of the former.

Also if anyone cared, got about... 45 minutes? into minuet before I got wide side tracked and haven't been able to force myself back to finish 😂

Whoever script edited this, read the sections with Nicholas Courtney hunt and peck typing his exposition, and approved it - you are a hack.

Edit probably bothers me a lot more this time around because big finish has gotten so much better at working it in organically

McGann
May 19, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not super relevant to the question but that was a different dude

Oh, darn. Now I have to re-watch Deep Breathe. For shame.

Anyone speak whatever that language is which uses the Eyebrows to talk? What's he telling us????

McGann
May 19, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Y'know, we've seen the Master be the Doctor (sort of) as Prof. Yana, and we've seen the Doctor (particularly #10) do some poo poo that would make the Master say "oh my!", what I'd like to see is a story where they have to take up the other's role and the find out to their dismay that they're way too good at it for their own liking.

Also, it should be a rule that whomever plays the Master should either be IRL buddies with the actor playing the Doctor, married to them, or even better, divorced from them.

This (the former, not latter) is sort of covered by David Warner's alternate doctor and Mark Gattis alternate master in the Unbound series. Specifically later on once it becomes the Bernice Summerfield series and The Doctor becomes President of the Universe.
the doctor escapes the alternate universe to return to "ours" with Bernice (who is from here originally). Techno babble stuff happens, he left the Master as president, but he's actually suited to it. Maybe.

But to the second point, Lisa and David are so good together since they were essentially a married couple in real life by then.

Edit don't know why I referred to Lisa as Bernice

McGann
May 19, 2003

In what's an unfortunate trend, someone else in the company saw the success this series had and decided to capitalise on it in ways that undermined the original story. Turns out the Master almost immediately killed every single person in that universe, then built four sex robots to hang out with and then killed them too.

It's not a great story.

Ugh. What? Is this a mention from another story? I know he shows up in the multimaster story, Which I have listened to but vaguely recall any beats from due to it being garbage.

Then I can go back to ignoring it existing.

Edit through brief research I realized I have never listened to the final series with Warner, because at the time I did not want to hear nazi cyber men.

I think I got half. I guess I should finish it.

McGann fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 30, 2024

McGann
May 19, 2003

It's one of the War Master stories, the Dalek one. It's sort of aiming for ironic camp, but mostly just ends up being a bit poo poo.

It's a very good set. Some really awful stuff, done very well, and a really cool revisionist take on Tomb of The Cybermen.

Actually, speaking of Benny, have you heard Timeless Passages?

Thank you - I know I have listened to the entire War Master series, but I do not remember that mention one bit. Sometimes my BF listening gets ignored and I miss large swathes, most likely what happened here.

As for Benny audios, I do remember trying her series starting from 1.1 back in the late 00s, and it was fun. Weird, cheap, early days of BF - but had some fun acting and concepts (Nicolas Courtney was in the one where all the ex-Who actors appear as characters from Alice in Wonderland, I think Nicolas is the Cheshire Cat? maybe?)

My googling tells me Timeless Passages is 7.2 from her line - if it's accessible without being caught up, I'd like to give it a whirl this week. *after* I finish the Warner set, mind.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

I think the Alice in Wonderland one is Zagreus, which has a ton of weird nonsense going on (Colin Baker playing a vampire in a flashback being a highlight) and also an old recording of Pertwee that sounds like they found it in a burning bin being used purely so they could say they'd put him in it. Pre revival era Big Finish was an amazing mixed bag.

My bad, I got confused. Though he does play a cat, it's the very first Benny audio "oh no it isn't". He's not the Cheshire cat in this one though, just a normal one. Who also can talk.

And I'll accept the criticisms of Dominion - I get a lot of mileage out of the performance. Shoot, I even re listened to those "masters swapped bodies" stories. And the one where he goes by the name Doctor D'eath or whatever lol

McGann
May 19, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

This amused me more than it probably should have (click for vid):

This was good, and the love being shown in the comments made me smile.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

There's an arc of Seven stories (largely recorded when McCoy was triple-booked making The Hobbit) about two groups of 7's companions discovering he was two-timing them.

Made me look into this to see if I'd listen to them and, of course it's protect and serve / black and white.

Shame they weren't, Yknow, good.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

It looks like some of those ideas are making their way into The Last Day, but The Last Day is not getting good reviews.

Yea, it's a mess so far. I loved the character interactions, but boy do I have no idea what's going on plot wise. This is what I surmise:

Alternate 7 / Ace have become lord of the universe/president of earth respectively. "Our" 7/Ace are trying to stop them, all the while "evil 7" is aware of this. So I'm sure there is some typical 7 twist coming where they're both in it together and its a grand plan yada yada yada...But they spend all the time in the first set "building the team" which is just Ace showing up and saying "Hey, you vaguely remember stuff -- lets go save the universe" (or Benny in Mel's case). This consists of The Master, Ice World guy, the frog from black/white(iirc), and a couple others I don't recall. Meanwhile, Hex is married to another returning character (Sally? iirc) who is a big whig in the Earth military. For some reason, evil Ace has now hired the Sontarens to 'guard' Earth and they show up and murder Sally.

There was probably some other stuff, but that's what I can remember off hand. It's absolutely lazy writing all over and it hurts, because the actors are all REALLY trying although not understanding the context (imo)

Kind of a Time Lord Victorious type thing, but done even more sloppily (to be fair it's having to act as a "finale" for McCoy involving all of his main recurring characters, so I'm not sure how one could get this to gel).

I really wish they'd integrated more of the concept you detailed, because I love the idea of another incarnation showing up to stop his dumb plans. And it makes perfect sense that it'd be 8, I know I remember him complaining about his previous incarnation's machiavellian schemes at least once.

I guess I'll try to finish some more of Minuet today. I cheated and started Live 34 again yesterday, so I will probably be using it as a regular cleanser.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Live 34 might be in the top 10 BFs of all time. And in a very casual way, it doesn't feel like it's trying to be amazing, it just rules.

I just thought as I began my re-listen, "Huh, it's amazing restraint on Big Fiish's part to not have had another 'newscast' style series or even episode based off the acclaim of this one". They seem to love when they hit on a brilliant concept...love it so much they drag every inch of life out of it before they're done. But not with that format! And it's *awesome*, I've always enjoyed faux news programs (even terrible ones like that Confederate States one from back in the 00s which got its basic history wrong from the get-go still have artistic merit)and it seems to never have hit on as a popular genre.

Wanted to post again anyway, because I meant to yesterday - Been also listening to episodes of the 11th Chronicles series with Valerie Lockwood. We already touched on how good it is, such a perfect casting of Jacob/Sasha chemistry wise, not to mention how well it mimics the 'vibe' of the 11 seasons...but I digress, I wanted to particularly call out their episode for just sheer balls and deserving of applause.

The box finale from Volume 5:

Big Finish posted:

5.3 Sins of the Flesh by Alfie Shaw
Is your child exhibiting sinful behaviour? Have they set themselves on the road of eternal damnation? Has everything you tried failed? Feel like you’re out of options?

Don't worry. We can help. Bring them to the Rebirth Organisation today. Bring them to be converted.

Maybe it's the fact that I am American and in the midwest - we have a ton of "pray the gay away" type things going on here. But seeing Doctor Who via BF come out against it specifically/tying it in to [spoiler]obviously Cybermen, they said 'converted' cmon [/spoier] is amazing and I love it so far. It may not stick the landing, who knows, but this series has not let me down so far and I look forward to finishing it later today. These existing in ~60 min chunks just like the TV (ish) is great for the narrative flow matching the show, but also for just being a nice compact listen compared to most other offerings.

McGann
May 19, 2003

McGann posted:

The box finale from Volume 5:

Yep did a decent job with the landing. I was worried as one should be with lgbtq themes but it was all handled quite respectively I thought if not a bit heavy-handed at points.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Big Finish has been on a decent kick with over queer inclusion and social themes lately but they have a big problem: their audience.

.... Snip..

I understand that their Torchwood and New Series material is much less trepidatious.

Ah, that checks out. Thank you. And I think you are correct, as their Torchwood line is so much better at it. I can't even recall a Time it was called out of anything outside of normal, and is typically treated as just "a thing" rather than "hey look at this thing!!"

Edit aw man, the valeyard AND Apollo creed hitting me same span? Ouch

McGann
May 19, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Just watched It Takes You Away and it's the closest this season has been to good.

Well drat, I remember nothing about this episode. So I guess I better give it re watch here this week.. Never thought I'd want to. Then again, can it be worse than my minuet relisten?

McGann
May 19, 2003

This didn't end up being a laugh? Shame about the recommendation, I figured you might find it funny in a sort of camp/ironic way like I found it to be when I dipped back into it last year. Sorry and condolences my goon.
Hah - no, don't let me mislead. It was fun for a bit, but after an hour straight of it - I finally broke and had to switch over to a good audio (The Fourth Wall which I'd forgotten about and adore).

McGann
May 19, 2003

Flying Zamboni posted:

After finishing up The Black Guardian Trilogy I decided to jump back to Troughton and watch The Enemy of the World. I thought this was pretty good with the notable exception of Troughton doing brownface along with a pretty rough attempt at a Mexican accent. He plays Salamander well outside of that but it does drag it down

Somehow, my memory made him a Spanish character (as in, from Spain) and I literally just rewatched an episode from it on Pluto.

At least I had the correct language of origin (sorta)

McGann
May 19, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Cmon man, we both know that if we total up both of their "they were paying up front" credits Roberts is going to have a huge lead. Guy turns in a solid performance near enough every time but he's done a TON of garbage.

I'd pay good money to watch a version of "A Talking Cat?" with Jacobi instead of Roberts.

For that matter, lets get a version of Best of the Best.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Regardless of gender if there's one defining characteristic of multi doc stories it's that they get on each other's nerves.

Edit: which makes a lot of sense to me, if I had to hang around with multiple younger versions of myself I'd be sick of them pretty quickly.

Oh my god, I have never thought of it like this before but..
Yeah. I would come across as a smug prick to earlier vision versions of myself, and vice versa would seem like immature morons.

Definitely wouldn't bone myself though. More than once, Yknow, for science.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Ravenous is pretty bad. You can tell they changed their plans for the arc multiple times -- even this first boxset is them throwing out one of the plot points they just set up -- and the overall threat is very bad. There's a lot of awkward trend chasing going on too e.g. the Westworld gimmick in World Of Damnation, so the villain is modeled after another popular-ish(-ish) pop culture phenom from that time: making this spoiler box bigger to hide the spoiler: IT

The two opening standalones are, in the end, some of the strongest stories, as is the double feature from the centre of the next boxset. But the arc, overall, was being tuned to be more standalone, not less, so the actual story is very slight even by the standards of these things.

Ravenous bad.

I don't remember any of these stories, except for the Kandyman returning. So yea, I'd say this was a loser of a set and the Ravenous were really ...meh.

Which sucks because 8th Doctor is my boooiiii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

I've meant to post this for a while but finally got around to it.

It's a shame they had to call that season Flux, because right around that time someone got me a copy of the Doctor Who Fluxx card game (https://www.looneylabs.com/games/doctor-who-fluxx) which has sat, unused, in my game collection since received.

Partly due to it taking an act of god to get me to try a new game out (or play one in general) these days, but I'd love to blame some of it on the poor name coincidence.

So, anyone play it and am I missing out? Never played Fluxx anything.