Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

That grizzled old poacher walking down the stairs, stroking the side of Jon Pertwee's face and saying,"Medallion man... if police come by tell them you ne'er saw me near them pheasants what were poached..."

This is all making me very sad that Harry Sullivan wasn't in the room when Pertwee regenerated because I can't think of anyone funnier to be there for Tom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

A brick hits 6's head, Mel asks what the first thing he saw when he first regenerated was. He goes bright red and immediately regenerates to avoid the conversation.

15 is just exasperated that 10/14 is there AGAIN.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

On the other hand, when it's set on Earth, Doctor Who is usually in London, and the main difference between the Met and American cops is that the Met aren't armed to the teeth yet.

Like I'm finding it hard to square these boy scout esque defenders of public safety with the force that tolerated Wayne "four previous counts of indecent exposure and literally nicknamed 'the Rapist' by his fellow officers" Couzens

The met are garbage but whenever they're asked if they want guns they say no, consistently and near unanimously.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Oh gently caress, is that why Moffat threw cyber Brig in at the end? So we knew the Doctor had realised his anti military stance was silly?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

y'all know what's a good "Doctor Who?"

Carnival of Monsters

Fun fact, I read the novelisation of Frontier in Space long before I saw any Pertwee stories and for a good long while the idea of what a Drashig was and why it terrified Jo so much would really mess with my head. Imagine my glee at finally seeing one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Warthur posted:

I'm sad about Davison polling last but not surprised because he's my own second favourite after McCoy - he feels like the sort of Doctor where even if you rank him highly he's not going to be the first one you think of.

The nice thing about Who fandom is that give it 12 months and that list will come out in an entirely different order. It helps a lot that (IMHO) there's never been a bad actor in the role.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Nick Frost was an inspired piece of casting

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Moffat's already run through more story ideas than most of us can conceive of, some tossed out in a cold open. Not sure what he could have left in the tank. I think he's written more Doctor Who than anyone at this point? Though a fresh lick of paint can always provide inspiration, and "the Doctor has to stand still" sounds like a fun high concept, especially for someone as active as Ncuti

I was going to say surely Terrance Dicks has written more but Moffat's got 95 episodes credited on IMDB and Dicks "only" has 35. And 4 of those are under a pseudonym.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

keep punching joe posted:

That's because he's from edinburgh and they all sound like toffee nosed pricks over there.

Only Morningside REALLY.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Anyway the only eps of Capaldi's run that I can never seem to get into is the double parter Under the Lake & Before the Flood - Just think the villains a bit naff, with its romper stomper boots, and there's too much faffing about.

Otherwise I think 12 had a really solid run that was such a tonal difference to what people were used to that it probably threw them off a lot.

See I love that one because of the lecture to camera about the bootstrap paradox and because the romper stomper booted villain has Peter Serafinowicz's voice. Plus the silent blank eyed ghosts stomping around are genuinely creepy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'd argue the worst whiplash was between Extremis and the rest of the monk episodes, largely because setting up the story with some amazing bits of horror and then paying it off with a bunch of people doing really stupid things is a terrible combination.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I know there are some parents in the thread: how early did you start show them Doctor Who? My oldest is five, which still feels young to me, but he wants to watch it because he got a few Doctor Who books from relatives.

I tried my eldest at about 7 with series 5 and he got scared when we hit the Angels episode. Tried a few years later when he was 13 and his brother was 9 and they both decided Capaldi was their favourite doctor but they lost interest before Whittaker started.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Also my first memory of Who is the glass Dalek from Revelation when I would have been five? And I'm still watching thirty nine years later so yeah it defo depends.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Moffat's run is my favorite and it's not close. I speedrun 9 and 10 to get to 11 and 12. It blows me away that people think he sucks.

Like, at best, he's kind of poo poo. But he doesn't suck.

At Doctor Who. Hoooooo boy does he suck elsewhere.

He doesn't suck, he just didn't have like six seasons of story to tell, but carried on anyway. There's great stuff throughout those six seasons but there's also a lot of chaff and "keep watching and maybe we'll resolve these hanging plot threads!".

Moffat will always exist in my head as both the guy that gave us the 50th anniversary that the show deserved, but he's still the guy that gave us two Doctor's final episodes that were kinda poo poo. Like, why would you have your final episode as show runner be that bloody dreadful Christmas special when you'd written The Doctor Falls?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

McGann posted:

Once again this threads rule #1 works. I think those two episodes are some of the strongest (I love timey wimey poo poo). But yeah, that villain is the absolute weakest link in those. Weird cameo, lame villain, but love it none the less

Edit what a terrible page snipe.

I'll add some more. I'm currently almost through another re-listen of unit dominion and it has once again reminded me it's my favorite thing big finish has done.

I still laugh at the American and Japanese UNIT characters though, just the laziest shorthand in accent use 😂.

Listening to it without knowing the big reveal was great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

And it wasn't even him!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Capaldi for sure deserved a better exit than "it's not an evil plan".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I liked Coupling. Some of the episodes had the same "perfectly logical series of events leads to a ridiculous conclusion" that Graham Linehan used to be able to manage before his brain got eaten.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It wasn’t how he got famous but iirc Tennant did a few parody bits about Who on sketch shows before he actually got cast

At least one Big Finish as well I think, wasn't he a UNIT Colonel in one of the Unbounds?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

He also plays a upsetting caricature of a mentally disabled man in an audio with Colin and Maggie

Oh that bloody awful pair of audios with Leslie Phillips as "some guy with a Tardis".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

The Invasion of Time has the greatest Doctor Who scene of all time: the Sontarans vs. the pool chairs.

Unfortunately it also has the other seventeen hours of The Invasion Of Time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Imagine thinking you’re gonna die in a couple days and then deciding to go visit James Corden.

I mean if your intention is to push him down a hole I can see it being worthwhile

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

I liked him so much on Who that I was briefly fooled into thinking he didn't suck as both a performer and a human being.

He's alright in Oceans 8 as well, but he's bloody awful when he's not acting and he went to a WGA meeting he wasn't invited to, to try and get them to let him pay junior writers less. He's a poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

When they did the Gavin & Stacy reunion, they struggled to find crew to work on it because no one wanted to work with Cordon.

Ruth Jones should have got the opportunities Cordon did.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I'm another one who didn't like him and expected to dislike his Doctor Who episodes, then actually did like them and liked him in them. Also liked Gareth Roberts bringing a sitcommy tone to the show with the Corden episodes and The Caretaker, thought they were some of the standouts of their respective series. Well, not that Closing Time has that much competition. As if my questionable judgment wasn't already beyond doubt, let me just say while I'm here that I quite liked Nightmare In Silver

Nightmare in Silver is one where you can feel the floor moving under Gaiman as he's writing his drafts. I wonder if we'll ever see another episode from him, given his writing methodology doesn't seem to really match the needs of TV production.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

but knowing Doctor Who, the stairs wouldn't be stairs, but some sort of ancient alien being forced to hide in human homes, and when you notice him the stairs disappear

That sounds like a terrible secret.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Of space? Or... time? :smug:

To the time machine! We haven't much... Space?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Yep. Fun as hell. For the most they're pretty much comedies.

I can imagine - Strax is a one note character but it's a very funny note to me. Playing into the inherent ridiculousness of the Sontarans never gets old.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I interrupted my Pertwee rewatch because I felt in the mood for some McCoy, so I put on The Happiness Patrol, as it'd been ages since I last watched it.

I remembered thinking it was a good episode from when I last watched it, but I was honestly surprised at just how much I really enjoyed it this time around. Probably because this time around I'm a fair bit older (:corsair:), and a bit more familiar with some of the context of the various themes and allegories of the story (Helen A. and her policies being a critique of the Thatcherite regime; the subtexts that are pretty obvious nods to gay rights/representation, and so forth). But I also enjoyed it on a purely superficial level, too; the production design and lighting aren't the usual 1980s DW "flood everything with light" approach the BBC usually made the production team take, so it feels very much like a film noir. And there isn't constant background music playing throughout, either (and what does play doesn't feel like someone noodling around on a keyboard; it feels very appropriate to the scenes). And even the more annoying aspects of Ace that the writers loved shoving into stories (where she's always going around calling people "bilgebag" and waving about her Nitro-9 and so forth) are fairly toned down in this story.

So yeah, overall I'd say it's a good story, well worth a watch if you haven't seen any Seventh Doctor episodes before.

McCoy's stories are definitely ones that I enjoyed on one level as a kid but as an aging lefty they're quite something else. And aside from the stuff you listed it's got 7 talking that sniper down which is a great character moment.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

That first season is so loving wild in tone, but between Countrycide and that fairy one it opened the show up to being able to tell random stories about the leads wandering into Welsh horror as a valid story type and that kind of owns.

I think this aspect of Torchwood is better done by the Rivers of London books, especially as Torchwood ultimately (on TV at least) leaves a lot of that sort of thing behind.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Has anyone listened to Heroes of Sontar? That does some fun stuff with the Sontarans and it made me laugh a fair few times.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Shoutout to the excellent Rivers of London books here, which have lots of Who refs.

I think the author might be a fan.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean I'm not looking for just 1-2 stories per Doctor, just which ones are a) worth watching b) complete in some form. Like I've heard Caves of the Androzani (sp???) and City of Death are must watches, but neither of them are on your list.

Caves is great but it's also Davidson's last story so it's difficult to recommend standalone. And City of Death is great but Tom Baker just has so many good stories you could list half a dozen and someone would still go "what about X?"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Plus it has this

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The mention of Paul Darrow chewing the scenery has reminded me of this amazing five seconds from the inexplicable TV game show version of Clue/Cluedo from the 90s:

https://x.com/poynterton/status/1518706541817384964?s=20

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I highly recommend every season and special of that show except the 4th, where it ran up against the early 1990s obsession with really awkward and gross attempts at smut.

All of them are available on YouTube. Full of actors anyone even passingly familiar with British TV would recognize.

Tom Baker is Professor Plum in the 3rd, David McCallum played Plum in the 2nd, and a young Kristoffer Tabori played him in the 1st, over a decade before he was the voice of HK-47 in KOTOR.

Michael Jayston is Colonel Mustard at one point as well. Also apparently Chris Tarrant hated hosting it more than any other job he ever had, which is very funny.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

McGann posted:

Just a brief aside, vaguely related to Who:

I want to say thank you to whoever mentioned Rivers of London in this thread (Ben Arranovich). I checked out a copy from my librarys ebook service (hoopla, fwiw, which I mainly use for doctor who comics. ..) and finished it the same day.

I'm now halfway through Moon Over Soho and it's just as enthralling. Doctor Who has been referenced directly at least three times that I've noticed, but never annoyingly so or in a manner that seems forced.

There are some parts where you can tell Arranovich likely has some more, let's say "parochial" views that bleeds through the writing and would be instantly called out in 2024, which surprised me given the 2011 publication date. But it never seems malicious, at least not to this Yank ( who might admittedly be missing some things due to cultural disconnects but he seems to be doing his best to be progressive using the language he is familiar with)

The comics any good? And if so, I guess I should figure out the best place to read them (in the book time-line, I mean)

Think that was me - the comics are as good as the books. They also came out in a seemingly random order versus the timeline of the books so make sure you consult a reading order before reading them or you'll accidentally get stuff spoiled for you.

And yeah, seconding the parochial views query as I can't remember anything like that but it's been a while since I read the first few books.

Also also, I've seen people fancast a TV version of the books with McGann as Nightingale and it MIGHT be the most perfect bit of fancasting I've ever read.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Generously, it can be read as Peter getting his mindset away from the still very racist and sexist attitudes of the Met and embracing a much more open mind as he experiences more of the world.

I think that's how I read it - Peter is a young smart arse that alternates between being sure he knows everything and realising he knows nothing. He gets better as the books go on.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

lines posted:

We still think we're a global power, it's unfortunate (also we have nukes and a seat on the Security Council which doesn't help with the general delusion).

I seem to recall the alternative comedy scene in the 80s pushed back a lot of the fairly racist comedy scene of previous decades, your Bernard Mannings and the like. People (I assume) still go to Roy "Chubby" Brown shows but mercifully I don't really think it's many of them nowadays. And it's not on TV.

This all being said, I feel like in the 00s there was a bit of a resurgence in comedy in particular? See: Little Britain, or the inexplicable popularity of Jimmy Carr.

Yeah, Little Britain has a bunch of "oof" moments now, as does most of The League of Gentlemen. Jimmy Carr is in a slightly different camp where the entire purpose is to shock rather than "aren't these foreigners funny", but he's so loving lazy with it that there's times that it might as well be Bernard Manning material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

It wasn't just the UK, although we were as bad for it as anyone else. There seemed to be a general feeling in the 00s that sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. were a thing of the past, so everyone could just say whatever they wanted, no matter how horrible, because they didn't really mean it. Transphobia, of course, was still perfectly fair game anyway, and it's only now we're really starting to grapple with that (with all the usual reactionary pushback).

The 00s was also a time where a lot of humour was just flat out mean spirited a lot of the time (Jimmy Carr, as mentioned, but I'm thinking also of Family Guy and South Park as good examples). And often viciously misogynistic.

We were all so smug back then but in hindsight it was all so retrograde and poisonous. There're a bunch of Vice series recently called Dark Side of..., and they did Dark Side of the 90s and Dark Side of the 00s. The former was about all kinds of things - Grunge, the rise of Hip-Hop, talk TV, beanie babies, the internet. Often about bad stuff (Jerry Springer, Rush Limbaugh), but overall very interesting. The latter was reality TV, men's magazines, TMZ, Howard Stern and Antony and Opie, and it was all so horrible, and a chore to watch. It was like the whole media was trying to make famous women kill themselves and/or to treat regular women like dirt. Like, gleefully, openly, and fully intentionally.

Man, lads mags have a LOT to answer for when it came to the 90s/00s. I was a young man when FHM was in its prime and it cannot have been good for me or society that it was standard for a) famous women to be expected to do photoshoots in their underwear when they had a new project out b) those photoshoots were accompanied with interviews where the reporter asked questions about their sex lives and preferences that these days would get you fired and blacklisted and c) once a year the country would rank famous women by how hot they were.

Like, in the 90s we were already laughing at how backward the 70s were while there was an entire industry churning out these magazines.