Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The lows of the Capaldi run just weren't as horrible or consistent as the lows of the Smith run to me, maybe just because I like Peter so much as an actor. The highs are my favorite Who. I like all three of his seasons, warts and all.

Please bring back Jamie Mathieson, RTD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

I love these ridiculous fan service heavy teasers they put at the start of the trailer. What a fun little treat.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I think the continuity heavy stuff was a fun treat for the 60th, and the Gatwa stuff is going to be a break from it. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I think RTD will follow his instincts that he had when he relaunched the show the first time and be very selective and careful with continuity.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

One thing about Doctor Who's format is that at least many (not all) of the worst episodes are endlessly discussable. There's a lot of unremarkable bad, but Kill the Moon, Timelash, etc are just fascinating.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Warthur posted:

And then you have the Chibnall era,

Yeah I almost singled this out as not being particularly fun to talk about but I noped out of it early, so maybe there was something intriguingly bad in there (probably not.)

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I don't know what the difference between phony scifi words and names and stuff where they sound right, and where they sound like phony nonsense, but a lot of the Chibnall stuff falls on the bad end of it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

(praying that Moffat takes his good writing pills that day instead of the poo poo he's been doing)

But as pointed out, he's generally much better at smaller stuff, his huge splashy "i'm making a big point" stuff sucks. I'm generally optimistic.

The irony of a guy who wrote a Jekyll series oscillating between extremely good and dogshit terrible.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

:sickos:

oh hell yeah

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

For what its worth, RTD wrote 8 episodes in the 2005 series, so yeah he's probably just setting up the runway for the rest of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

Murray Gold's score [in series one] has more restraint;

This is so funny to me because boy oh boy at the time fans did not feel that way.

I really love the Eccleston year too, but it is really a study here in how prevailing fan tastes change. Or at least the loudest people aren't around (or changed their minds).