Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I often feel that, and I have no idea how accurate this actually is, they often had situations where stories weren't ready to go or there wasn't enough budget for them, so to plug the gap they pad out other stories in the season.

(It's not accurate at all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

My plan to watch all the Doctor Who has failed I cannot get through the 1st Doctor. I instead skipped forward to Tom Baker era.

Watching them in order is asking for trouble, watch them in a random order

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I'm actually pretty impressed with these first couple of episodes of Doctor Who with Tom Baker. He's got this manic energy that just feels like the doctor .

The programme format we think of as "Doctor Who" only really coalesced in the late Hartnell era; try The Tenth Planet (or basically any Troughtons minus the dominators, krotons and underwater menace)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shout out to the Zygon leader giving the Doctor a lift for no reason

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Even when the stories start to get bad there's still some gems in there

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The Hinchliffe and Holmes era is the high mark of the classic series. Pyramids of Mars is brilliant.

Sutekh and Scarman as his servant have two of the best voices in the entire show

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

All of the first season

Including The Sensorites and not, say, The Curse of Fenric, Genesis of the Daleks/another 70 stories? Madness

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Okay got to Image of the Fendahl and hey wouldnt you know it you got some Quatermass in my Doctor Who.

If you want some Quatermass in your Dr Who, go watch The Web of Fear, The Invasion and all of Pertwee's first season (one story of which is a pretty straight retread of The Quatermass Experiment)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I think after Baker I'm going to skip back to Pertwee

Do some Troughton, era owns

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

What serials should I cherry pick from Troughton and Pertwee. I know one of them has to be original appearance of the Master.

Troughton and Pertwee's eras are much less varied than either Hartnell's or Baker's fwiw, so I'd not marathon them back to back in the same way.

Having said that,

Power of the Daleks
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Enemy of the World
The Web of Fear
The Mind Robber (a weird outlier, good fun)
The Invasion
The Seeds of Death
The War Games

for Troughton

and

Spearhead from Space
Doctor Who and the Silurians
The Ambassadors of Death
Inferno
Terror of the Autons (first Master serial)
Day of the Daleks
Carnival of Monsters
Frontier in Space
The Time Warrior
The Invasion of the Dinosaurs

for Pertwee. I'm not personally a fan of The Mind of Evil or The Curse of Peladon from Open Source Idiom's list, and fundamentally disagree with the "super repetitive" claim about the Troughton era when the Pertwee era is right there, but ymmv.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

You don't have to do this. You can just walk away.

Think of every time the Doctor told someone this and they ignored them.

Not quite the same thing, but the Mark Gatiss-starring radio series Nebulous from about 20 years ago has, aside from being a Pertwee era spoof in general, a very timely direct parody of The Claws of Axos.

It's also written by the guy who played the cyborg waiter dude in Deep Breath!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

McGann posted:

Speaking love.. what was the general consensus on his death? Talked into suicide or pushed? I'm a fan of the former.

Not super relevant to the question but that was a different dude

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9xUK6ZL9lk

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I really enjoyed "Actually the world is built on the ruins of a technologically advanced ancient civilisation that fell as the result of a great catastrophe" which happened all the time in things that otherwise had a completely different tone, such as Gummi Bears or The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

It doesn't fit me anymore. My shoulders got too broad. I should probably look into rehoming it.

Get a new one

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

"Actually, myths about [some supernatural thing] is just folk memories of a sci fi thing" is a well the show unsurprisingly visits a lot, with stuff like State of Decay, Pyramids of Mars, The Horns of Nimon, The Daemons, The Time Monster...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Actually, myths about [some supernatural thing] is just folk memories of a sci fi thing" is a well the show unsurprisingly visits a lot, with stuff like State of Decay, Pyramids of Mars, The Horns of Nimon, The Daemons, The Time Monster...

...The Abominable Snowmen, The Curse of Fenric, The Sea Devils, The Stones of Blood, Ghost Light...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

lines posted:

...The Satan Pit...

...Underworld, Battlefield, The Terror of the Zygons, The Ice Warriors...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I appreciate that Adric is young and a interesting voice but often his voice is "Look I'm going to do what is going to keep me alive.. gently caress these other people." Its refreshing that his companion is basically a coward who puts his safety first.

That's a consequence of behind the scenes stuff, in that JNT decided to introduce a new companion after the early drafts of some of the stories (most notably State of Decay) were complete. This meant that the authors had to add in something for Adric to do post hoc, and the easiest thing to do in that case was have him do nothing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Ah man, Michael Jayston has died. He's been many things but he'll always be the Valeyard to me. Well, and Colonel Mustard in Cluedo.

He's in one episode of Only Fools and Horses and for some reason all the obits describe him as "Only Fools and Horses actor Michael Jayston"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Is there anything to read about these past eras of the production side of the show? I’ve read Cartmel’s Script Doctor, and that’s a fascinating insight about the making of the McCoy era with all the behind-the-scenes drama, but I’d love to go further back.

Off the top of my head there's Who and Me by Barry Letts, and the About Time series have a lot of production details in.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I assumed they were throwing some pro-choice trappings in their anti-abortion screed to make it seem like they weren't taking a side even though they obviously were.

I've heard people try to excuse the episode by saying that abortion isn't a political issue in the UK, which... at the time the episode aired, abortion was illegal in Northern Ireland no matter how early along in the pregnancy, even in cases of rape and incest. That didn't change until 2020. This isn't a case of "abortion was already legal and uncontroversial so everything was hunky-dory".

One thing that surprises people about UK abortion law is that abortion is still criminalised in the UK, it's just that the bar for doctors permitting one to occur is very low.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Like, I just don't see the Nazis as an effective deterrent against the Master.

The point isn't the in-universe consequences of the act, it's the real-world politics of it. Weaponising someone's race is Really Bad! Even if you don't like the person it's being done to!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Narsham posted:

I think this moment could play well registering both the Doctor’s anger about that past scene and especially about the Master killing ALL the TIME LORDS

She's told "someone" killed all the Time Lords by the Master, but assumes he's lying. The "I killed all the Time Lords!" bit isn't until the end

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

We know that RTD doesn't mind little a sexual harassment on set, as a treat

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'm "enjoying" the fact that after falling off of newwho by the end of Capaldi's run and coming back to enjoy the heck out of the winter content, I'm immediately met with another bafflingly long gap between seasons. The more things change, etc.

5 months is not bafflingly long

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lawrence Miles is just a standard forums poster from 20 years ago, it's just that most forums posters from 20 years ago didn't move in circles with Doctor Who (relative) bigwigs

2house2fly posted:

If Steven Moffat has done something that needs to be exposed then expose it. Pointless to coyly vaguepost about how you could bring the whole Doctor Who edifice crashing down with six words if only you weren't so noble.

He specifically says that others can do it rather than him personally, which (given that it's the kind of thing that would get you sued if you didn't back it up) makes sense, and also talks about why they don't.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Isn't Red also the one with the pleasant white noise that plays throughout the whole thing or am I misremembering?

That describes a lot of big finish's output

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

With Rosa, I can imagine that the future racist learned that Rosa Parks was pivotal to the Civil Rights movement and so got it into his head that messing up the bus protest would mess up the whole thing.

Whereas he should actually have done a Tikka to Ride and stopped Oswald shooting Kennedy

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I've also been rewatching Eccleston lately and I'm through World War III. It's interesting to see them feeling out what the show would be. I think the more goofy "kid's show" approach that you see a lot was a poor choice, it made the tone swing too widely.

That's largely on Keith Boak, tbf

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Aliens Of London/World War Three

This story is one of the greatest (ideas wise) in the revival and if the implementation was 10% better it would be regarded as a stone cold classic

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

According to tvtropes "red bicycle when you were 12" is a remnant of some cut plotline about the Doctor messing about in Rose's past?!??!? Sounds unlikely, but if it ever was planned it's good they didn't go through with it.

This was replacing some other planned episode that fell through, so I've heard before.

Boom Town replaced one to be written by Paul Abbott, which would have had the "messing around in Rose's past" stuff. It sounded awful, even though I'm not a fan of Boom Town.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's just some random nerd on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Creature posted:

I’m slowly rewatching oldnewwho and am on series 5 at the moment. The angels two-parter is excellent, but that final scene with horned-up Amy is so out of place for what is essentially a 'family' show.

I’m slowly rewatching newoldwho and am on series 23 at the moment. The Vervoids four-parter is, but is so out of place for