Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Warthur posted:

They do mention it in passing. What isn't clear is how Gallifrey being locked a little spacetime pocket per Rassilon's plan in that materially differs from Gallifrey being locked in a little spacetime pocket per the gambit the Doctors pull off in Day of the Doctor.

I mean, unless I badly misinterpreted the end of The End of Time, Gallifrey isn't destroyed at the end of that, it just goes back into the weird timelocked state the rest of the Time War is in - and so could presumably be extracted again, albeit not via the Master-based means Rassilon had planned.

The time lock isn't a separate bubble, it's a period of space/time with blocks so you can't travel in or out of it or change it with time travel. Gallifrey's existence ended a few minutes after Rassilon tried to pull off his plan and failed, when at the Doctor's command the moment vapourised both the planet and the Dalek fleet. The time lock just ensures that nothing can ever change that.

(At least that's what it seemed, but the Moment, the creator of the lock, allowed them an alternative where with the help of other versions of the doctor, they would just make it seem like Gallifrey was vapourised, but instead continued to exist hidden away.)

Rassilon, under the belief that Gallifrey was about to end, engineered a pathway out of the lock (via the Master) and tried to forcefully drag Gallifrey out of the lock back into the wider universe, with all the worst poo poo of the time war coming with it along for the ride. Doing that would have so much space time fuckery it would split the vortex apart and destroy them universe, but Rassilon was going to ride that and ascend the Time Lord council into beings of consciousness beyond space-time at the cost of the universe.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Warthur posted:

EDIT: Also, the visuals in End of Time seem fairly clearly set up to give the impression that the majority of Gallifrey is firmly behind Rassilon. He might have his elite war council but his plan is announced in a massive assembly hall (ripping off the Star Wars prequels because End of Time was really big on its Star Wars riffs, it even has a Millennium Falcon in it), with only two people out of the masses and masses of folk there dissenting.

The assembly hall is specifically called out as the Time Lord High Council. It looks to be maybe a couple of hundred people? And it's strongly implied that Rassilon has purged everyone who isn't his type. The High Council was trying to pull off the Ultimate Sanction while the Military Council and the rest of the Time Lords were still fighting trying to win the war. It seems like that shook the council's support and so when Twelve turned up on Gallifrey later on the wider population of Time Lords and the military were happy to kick Rassilon and his gang to the curb.

Anyone else feel like at some point in the history of the show Rassilon should have been played by Brian Blessed?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 31, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But explaining things at tedious length is my favourite thing!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Warthur posted:

b) We know exactly how many people weren't Rassilon's type and what happened to them: there's two of them and they're the figures covering their eyes next to Rassilon. So we're talking 1% or less not going along with the plan.

We saw another one earlier and he vapourised her. So he's textually been cleaning house of who he can and intimidating everyone with his murders.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 31, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

(You can't really see on screen but one of them was a dude)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plucky Brit posted:

None of this would apply when fighting the Daleks. The Doctor explicitly rejected a soldier who was fighting in a war against a genocidal enemy that wanted to exterminate everything that wasn't them. He was never called out for this bizarre stance.

Nah, he pretty much straight up admits to Journey Blue that it's a personal issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lines posted:

Do we actually know where Danny served? I assume it was meant to be Afghanistan or Iraq given that those are the two conflicts that Britain has had soldiers deployed in most recently

They said five years service in UK and Afghanistan.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah last we saw her before that Martha was engaged to the hottie who plays Lucifer in Lucifer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mickey regenerated.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Until they did it and it was the worst thing ever made

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hold up. Looking back, did we never see Twelve's time vortex?

We saw it in Twice Upon a Time but that was One's.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

Only in the opening titles, sadly

Was that meant to be the Vortex? It just looked like it was just semi-abstract art, it was all clocks and planets and gallifreyan writing, never a bit that looked vortex-ish. Even the circley bit at the end with the TARDIS flying through was made of symbols.

Wierd if they managed to go three seasons of the show without a vortex shot.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 5, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

Yep, each opening sequence is meant to show/represent the time vortex of that era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNszKKAtEwU

Aren't a lot of the later classic intros just starfields and stuff? I swear the vortexes (vortices?) in the show then were still trippy visuals during those years.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 5, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

While there can be some nuances, in most uses acclimate and acclimatise are used to mean the same thing, but Americans will say acclimate and Brits will say acclimatise. It's just a regional variation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Autisanal Cheese posted:

wow, gently caress Jenna Coleman then

- Shona's actor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I felt that with 11 and Clara, but 12 and Clara were very different and in my mind much better together.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"Cybermen? Sounds swedish."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Infinitum posted:

I think there's a good episode to be written, where you'd have an entity that keeps eating memories/resetting things back to Regular Earth Standard to explain how people never seem to recall any of the alien events that occur.

Some kind of crack in time that keeps eating events?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I find it kind of funny and charming that Moffat went to the effort to explain away some of Davies' bigger choices (CyberKINGGGG) and now Davies is back it's just like, nah, everyone knows. Back to RTD status quo.

I did see an interview where they cited the success of the MCU in being happy with permanently shifting show to a reality a bit to the left of ours where everyone is aware of aliens and UNIT has a giant tower in London.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

A Good Man Goes To War did and it was loving awesome.

To your point, though, we never saw any actual sword fighting.

It would've been great if he just had gladius tucked away somewhere on adventures after season one. Just as a comfort blanket.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Was doing a model shot like that cheaper than a few nice matte paintings? I feel like a few nice matte paintings would've worked out better.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

"I wanted to see the universe so I stole a Time Lord and ran away."

That's one of my favourite lines in the franchise, just for the way it perfectly recontextualises something and adds to it in a way that fits everything that came before.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"You talk, and run around, and bring home strays!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like to imagine when fifteen doubled the TARDIS it didn't turn into two TARDIS consciousnesses and living beings. Existing in two places at once is no problem for a mind that already exists across all of space and time. The TARDIS is just both here and there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Matt Smith could be that at times, although I don't think he did it quite as much as Baker did. He also distinctly... gangled.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 16, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's just an extension on the way on TV you can smack someone on the head and they take a harmless nap and not be at severe risk of permanent brain damage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unkempt posted:

- why do the Antarctic people have a gun? For vicious penguins?

Seals, actually. Antarctic treaty prohibits any military purpose and you wouldn't be allowed to have more weapons than you need, but I believe it's not uncommon for bases to have a weapon suitable for seals, well-secured under restricted access. (At least near the coast. People speculate, of course, but in theory there's no firearm at South Pole Station.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 19, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

"I can't believe leopard seals would eat my face!" -- researcher who went to the antarctic to investigate face eating by leopard seals

(Fortunately in that case she decided he was a really dumb seal and then spent four days trying to feed him penguins and teach him to hunt while he was photographing in the area, apparently very concerned this idiot pup wasn't eating. She kept bringing him increasingly mauled live penguins to try to get him started on hunting.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 19, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ₙₒ ₘₒᵣₑ

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Updog Scully posted:

I hope Rusty can find some way to bring her back in a role that makes any sense using one of his classic asspulls. Hell, make her 16!! She's amazing.

Just do a renegade doctor episode set during the renegade doctor era.

Justification? 'I felt like it'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Picard S3 and Lower Decks are both fans smashing their TNG action figures together, and one is fantastic (LDS) while the other is terrible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

(LD and Prodigy are easily the best NuTrek)

And Prodigy is somehow both incredibly accessible to be viewers, and secretly Star Trek Voyager season 8 and 9, at the same time. So all things are possible.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 24, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wolfechu posted:

To me a classic companion is one who's prepared to tell the Doctor he's talking bollocks now and then. Sarah Jane, Tegan, Romana, right back to Barbara even.

I feel like they understood that pretty well when they restarted the show. Can't speak for 13's era (fell off the show) but just about all of the other modern companions would be pretty ready to tell him he's talking bollocks.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 26, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Gonna be real honest and say that I just do not like K-9 at all. Either as a companion or a plot device. He has all these abilities that just happen to be perfect for getting the Doctor out of situations. He's also rather boring looking and doesn't ever do anything beyond "Stun the enemies" or "Stun the enemies".

Just not a fan.

Hi, I'm the Doctor and I don't believe in guns, it's not my fault if my companion has a built in nose gun that solves half of my problems by shooting people

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pushed (although it feels to be like it's closer to assisted suicide, the robot wishes to die, it's just not allowed to) and that's the trigger for his entire 'am I a good man' spiral that basically defined his life.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but Life, the Universe and Everything was great.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A TARDIS cat that just randomly wanders through the entire history of the TARDIS with no care given to order or time. It just appears, demands food and scritches, and vanishes back into the cat dimension.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love how incredibly mundane the now treated as almost sacred by the show Heart of the TARDIS! is there

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Was the TARDIS materialising around someone and bringing them inside something introduced in the new series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plus it's kinda implicitly explained away by the reason One had to regenerate.