Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I like to experiment sometimes when I go out to eat. Often it's decent, and I get to experience something new and enjoyable like the Ethiopian restaurant I went to last night. Then sometimes you end up at a Thai/Viet/Mexican fusion joint, or Skaro, and maybe you decide you'd be better off with burgers or South Croydon after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cleretic posted:

In fairness, 'sci-fi nerd' might be one of the hardest things to write in a sci-fi show, especially one like Doctor Who with a legacy. It'd only be a matter of time until you accidentally hit an 'Einstein exists in the Starfox universe' problem, where she references something that in part exists because of Doctor Who.

In fact, I can guarantee it: The Cybermen are pretty much the very first example of a modern-day cyborg. So if Bill recognized their general thing through sci-fi experience, then you accidentally create a situation where Doctor Who exists within itself.

...also, there's just a high chance that it becomes really annoying and tension-deflating.

You can handwave that away by just saying that Cybermen interacted with 19th century England and while that wasn't well documented, rumors of the event seeped into popular culture, resulting in the sci-fi trope of cyborgs and humanity draining cybernetics. Also, in the modern day, everyone on the planet should know about Daleks and Cybermen. At that point sci-fi is just basic education.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Was doing a model shot like that cheaper than a few nice matte paintings? I feel like a few nice matte paintings would've worked out better.

I can't really recall many matte paintings in old Who. I do recall a bunch of, and I believe I'm using this correctly, naff miniatures. Maybe the BBC just didn't have a matte painter on staff back then?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The best way to watch Dr. Who is the same way The Doctor travels through the universe: Haphazardly and without any sense or reason.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Unkempt posted:

I just rewatched Seeds of Doom for the first time in god knows how many years, and

- It's really entertaining, better than I remember
- why do the Antarctic people have a gun? For vicious penguins?
- you're right, Doctor, the music is terrible
- Hargreves is played by 'Seymour Green'? Seriously?

Anyway, lovely stuff. Followed up with Masque of Mandragora and Time Meddler, all great.

Later I watched Pointless where, in the final, they had to name any episode title from the Jodie Whittaker era. Not one person from the 100 people surveyed knew any of them at all.

They have guns for other humans, actually. A bunch of countries have unenforced territorial claims and research stations on the continent, and everyone is mostly well behaved, but there's always the possibility someone could decide to enforce a claim, or someone could have a mental break due to the dark and the cold and the isolation, or maybe a sled dog from the Norwegian camp could break out and a couple of crazy Nordics could show up in a helicopter slinging grenades everywhere and you have to take them out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Seals, actually. Antarctic treaty prohibits any military purpose and you wouldn't be allowed to have more weapons than you need, but I believe it's not uncommon for bases to have a weapon suitable for seals, well-secured under restricted access. (At least near the coast. People speculate, of course, but in theory there's no firearm at South Pole Station.)

Leopard seals are cute right up to the moment they open their mouths, then it's very clear why they're called leopard seals (in addition to their spots).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Love this story for being the first introduction of the infallible, simply cannot have its information faked Matrix, the same one that is used by the Master for the Timeless Child reveal to the Doctor in season 12. Love this story even more for showing that the Matrix evidence CAN be faked. By the Master!

I made the reasonable assumption that everybody in the world wakes up in the morning and watches Tomb of the Cybermen just as a given before they go about the rest of their day v:shobon:v

I don't have time for all that. I just watch the scene where the Cybermen awaken from their frozen tombs.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
delete

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

"Well why would the BBC want to own it. That series went off the air over five years ago! Nobody remembers it except for a few nerds! And if some of them want to own doctorwho.co.uk for their little radio show thing, who cares?" -- some BBC high muckety muck in 1996

Right before they wondered out loud if there were any old episode tapes that could be erased forever.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm trying to remember which EU story it is that has the Doctor say this, and then the evil alien menace thinks about the offer for five seconds and says, "actually, hey, yeah, that's a good idea. We'll take you up on this."

Followed by the Doctor mentally going fuuuuuuck because it turns out that repatriating a slavering alien horde that's actually trying to do better is way tougher and more involved than just tricking said horde into self destruction.

This kind of happens in forest of the dead and the eleventh hour. Hell, it even happens when 12 has to be Missy's Jailor for a thousand years.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

This should really happen more often. Have the Master claim to be a future Doctor and see if he can make it five minutes before blurting out "Fooled you all!"

Y'know, we've seen the Master be the Doctor (sort of) as Prof. Yana, and we've seen the Doctor (particularly #10) do some poo poo that would make the Master say "oh my!", what I'd like to see is a story where they have to take up the other's role and the find out to their dismay that they're way too good at it for their own liking.

Also, it should be a rule that whomever plays the Master should either be IRL buddies with the actor playing the Doctor, married to them, or even better, divorced from them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Again. Alex MacQueen in UNIT: Dominion

Big finish productions aren't universally accessible, so I hope you'll forgive me for not knowing what any particular audio play has done.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

A TARDIS cat that just randomly wanders through the entire history of the TARDIS with no care given to order or time. It just appears, demands food and scritches, and vanishes back into the cat dimension.

It's actually the feline in charge of the Universal Cat Distribution System.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m gonna throw hands if you people start maligning McCoy’s vest

7's costume is a lot more acceptable after your eyes have healed from 6's abomination.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Brb going to see if the Cybermen are having an open enrollment.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It showed up a time or two in the original series.

One memorable time the Doctor materialized the Tardis around a police box which was actually the Master's Tardis.

DnD portable hole rules should have applied.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's important to remember that Dr. Who is a show for children. Sometimes it is a show for children who don't know what the moon is, or even what words are.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
hey if we're wishing for more past doctors with good stories give me more 7 and Ace, thanks in advance.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's best to not assign too much mavity to Dr. Who's time shenanigans.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

It's because he's played by an actor of Indian heritage. The Doctor is weaponizing the Master's skin color to ensure he has a particularly nasty fate in the hands of real world fascist. You really don't see how that's a grotesque step too far?

Also, there's a massive difference between the fictional genocides that the Master can be held responsible for and the real world perpetrators of the Holocaust!

If you hand someone over to this version of the Master at worst they might get shrunken down, which is portrayed as bad, but we have no real world frame of reference for, however we know exactly what fate the Doctor is condemning their best friend to because it's a well documented real world war crime.

At worst that version of the Master could turn you into a soulless automaton and weaponize you against your own people. The worst any version did was promise you salvation from certain doom, drive you completely insane, cut off your head, and do that to every remaining member of your species in order to weaponize them against your ancestors.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Boxturret posted:

Did the master do that personally? I thought it was just something that they did to survive, then he found them and brought them back to current day.
I had to rewatch . Yeah you're right. All he did was make it possible for them to wipe out their ancestors. Been over 15 years since I watched it. Still, she did to the whole bit with tormenting the souls of the dead and turning them into Cybermen.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

If it makes you feel better, David Tennant is now only 3 years younger than William Hartnell was when he first played the Doctor :stare:

Hartnell really had some rough mileage on him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Nukes did it. Shortened and straightened the whole Thames.

I've worked both at Parliament and St Thomas's so this annoys me too.

Welcome to (almost)EVERY TIME New Orleans is portrayed in just about every sort of media, for me. NOLA only exists as a fun house mirror version of itself in the public consciousness.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Out of curiosity, how was Treme for you? Better or did it just pay lip service to trying to be an accurate representation of New Orleans in the aftermath/rebuilding from Katrina?

It was fine, good even, mostly because it was about the people and the realities of post-Katrina New Orleans and didn't just use a few landmarks as set dressing. The frustration, anger, and despair was all too real.

Homer Simpson's restaurant tour was pretty cool, too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

It’s wild only like 2 of those places have closed.

A lot of those places were institutions, but it was nice that they not only left the Quarter, but also the parish for some of those goodies.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Just one thing, Wild Blue Yonder pretty emphatically underlines the destruction of half the universe. After all, the setting of the story is inside the vast void created by that event.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

How dare you

Does it shout "EXTERMINATE!" instead of "Cuckoo!"?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

OldMemes posted:

My favourite bonkers TARDIS retcon is the one where it turns out The First Doctor used a Type 50 for business in his early life. When he left Gallifrey in his Type 40, the Type 50 was so mad at being abandoned that it hired a private detective to track the Doctor down, then sent up an elaborate trap for him.

I haven't seen whatever episode that is, but that sounds like a fun idea.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hitler gets punched out by Wifeguy and thrown into a broom closet, ending his relevance to the story. Frankly that's more dignity than he deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I didn't like the "dog for every person" thing because not everyone is a dog person. I got attacked by a dog as a kid so I've always been pretty indifferent towards dogs (which seems to make some dogs more interested in me?) and I could name all the specific dogs I like that I've met on one or two hands (friends/family nice ones who never jump on me). I loved our family Husky though RIP.

I did like the guardian dog concept however! I just think it would've worked better if they were the guardians of Earth in general instead of a constantly churning mass of 8 billion people each having their own dogman ready to go. Like as if the Earth were it's favourite chew toy or the mega human they protect collectively. Just snap and growl at anyone who comes near or touched the doggie bowl.

Some times the guardian dog you need is a guardian cat.

https://youtu.be/ckDVpihCPq8?si=qFkuDlA9GVU7e2Mn