Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m on The End of Time. I forgot how batshit insane it was. The Master doing a super frog jump and eating homeless people. The Doctor knowing that The Master is out there somewhere, instinctively checks a rock quarry. Obama fixing the economy. Obama becoming The Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Martha better be in it.

Mickey can easily have been killed off screen.

I will say, having just rewatched RTD era 1, I don’t think the Martha/Mickey pairing is that bad in hindsight. I remember most of the criticism was that they were written to got together because they were both black but I don’t think that holds up. I wasn’t keeping notes, but the only black couple I can even think of the entire era were Martha’s parents. Just about every couple in the show was interracial. In addition, they both had the weird trauma of having been spurned by The Doctor and Rose.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Regardless, based on the trajectories of their jobs and their shared histories with The Doctor, Rose, it’s easy to fill in the blanks when you see their coda.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dabir posted:

If it's so easy then why didn't RTD do it

Listen, did you want more Doctor and Wilf screen time or not?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was watching Columbo yesterday (the one with Cassavettes) and had an idea for a multi-Doc special where The Doctor solves a murder over the course of several regenerations. He pops in, hangs out with the murderer for a while, leaves, pops up later at the companion’s work in a new form, etc. The murderer has no idea who all these weird folks are, or even that they’re the same person.

If any of you work for Big Finish, I give you permission to steal this idea.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Resdfru posted:

What is this a reference to?

It’s a reference to the difference in nature between 10 and 11.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Imagine thinking you’re gonna die in a couple days and then deciding to go visit James Corden.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Last week, someone spread a fake rumor about how a Glee reboot starring Corden was going to start filming soon and it got big enough that the Glee creator had to say they have no plans to reboot the show.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There are a couple instances of The Doctor saying “Twitter” with a twinge of disgust during the Matt Smith years and I like to believe it’s because he knows who eventually buys it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh yeah, Kate Stewart mentioned people were posting images of the cubes to Flickr in Power of Three and it seemed so quaint.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just finished Day of the Doctor in my current rewatch. Gotta say, all of the eras' mystery boxes work better in binge watching than waiting week by week. I was disappointed that Night of the Doctor didn't play before the episode. I'd somehow mostly forgotten how the episode played out in the decade+ since it came out. Gotta say, Capaldi's cameo was pretty hype. Watching it so closely to Time's End really highlights the stark difference in tone between the two specials. Also, kinda funny how one of The Curator's predictions came true about reusing old faces.

Now I've got Time of the Doctor left of Smith's run. I'm anxious to watch it, I don't like endings.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Back to Strax, him beaming Clara with the newspaper was out of left field and hilarious.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m watching The Caretaker and got a good laugh. I have that exact same LED “invisibility“ watch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The second half of Picard S3 was such a disappointment. The first half was pretty intriguing, dealing with fallout from the Dominion War. Then they just went back to the tired Borg well, while also removing everything that made them interesting in the first place.
I think the part for me that sealed that no, season 3 is bad, was when they brought back Moriarty. They brought back the original actor, and I thought that maybe the character and figured out he was duped in his last appearance, but no, it was a different, less interesting Moriarty hologram.

Every once in a while I’ll see tweets defending NuTrek, and even they seem to not mention Picard.

(LD and Prodigy are easily the best NuTrek)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just rewatched the Capaldi episode Dark Water. In the beginning, The Doctor has the TARDIS take them to Hell and at the end of the episode it's revealed he's been in London the whole time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love Big Finish but it’s funny how they kinda hinge on the premise of “hey what if the Doctor cheated on his companions when they weren’t looking?”

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In that Capaldi story where the TARDIS was shrinking, I was surprised that The Doctor didn’t make some off handed comment about the Monk. Feel the irony of the situation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

I just realized a missed opportunity in Twice Upon a Time for Moffat to explain away William Hartnell fluffing his lines on occasion. You had your chance to make it a feature, not a bug!

There was one of those Doctor Who comics from the early 2010s that did this. it came off as being in really bad taste.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does Moffat have an obsession with New Mexico or do the state have a weirdly specific Doctor Who tax credit?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Monument Valley in Arizona was pretty spectacular filming.

Which episode did they film there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I used to buy a lot of Big Finish, but then they adjusted international currencies to make sure that everybody was paying the same amount, which is absolutely fair but also meant I went from buying dozens of digital releases each year to... well, none, which I don't think was the intention!

drat. I didn’t think to buy from them when the pound was worthless during the height of the pandemic.