Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will it?
Yes
No
View Results

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i'm still waiting for hdr support. supposedly it's working now in plasma 6 with nvidia drivers. which is great, but also, lmao if i'm going to use a pre-release window manager

I'm wanting to get one of those 32-inch 4k oled monitors that are supposed to come out this year. It'll be my first hdr computer monitor. Can't wait to see what issues I run into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i've been using a 4k oled lg for the past couple years.

poo poo works great under windows. in linux, i tried enabling hdr in cyberpunk 2077 and it just blew out the contrast and washed out all the colour. this was before gamescope added support though iirc

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 2, 2024

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

ill never forgive red hat for killing centos

at least there's still alma and rocky linux and they are Fine (i have to deal with EL for work because lol at selling software targeting any other linux)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i'm still waiting for hdr support. supposedly it's working now in plasma 6 with nvidia drivers. which is great, but also, lmao if i'm going to use a pre-release window manager

it works for me under clear using i915 and plasma 6. haven't tried any games though since a UHD 630 can barely drive HDR plasma itself at 4k, with a consistent framerate

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
linux? more like lolnix

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

there's draft gnome patches for it, so it will probably be merged there in 5 years or so as well

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

dear linux nerds: try making a good OS instead of forking everything every 15 seconds over dumb open sores ideological bullshit nobody cares about

actually tho.

the consumer OS space is so loving awful. for a project with the amount of resources as linux, building it into something better then loving windows should be a layup, but they are too busy arguing over the most asanine bullshit to actually do better. the super power of microsoft is that there is actually a decider and even if their vision is total poo poo, it's at least cohesive(ish).

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 2, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the biggest problem with linux is how impenetrable it seems to people not already versed in it. someone might be fed up with windows or macos, but they can’t just move to linux, there’s picking debian or red hat or whatever and then picking what flavor of that distribution you want and then picking an operating environment

people just want to shitpost and watch youtube, not build their own os. and linux nerds acting like dickheads to people with basic questions for not already knowing the answers doesn’t help things

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the biggest problem with linux is that it's bogged down with 50+ years of unix bullshit, and advocated by people who think that's a positive point.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
HDR is just a hoax, the human eye can inly see like three colors.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Branch Nvidian posted:

the biggest problem with linux is how impenetrable it seems to people not already versed in it. someone might be fed up with windows or macos, but they can’t just move to linux, there’s picking debian or red hat or whatever and then picking what flavor of that distribution you want and then picking an operating environment

people just want to shitpost and watch youtube, not build their own os. and linux nerds acting like dickheads to people with basic questions for not already knowing the answers doesn’t help things

it's really not a huge move from macos (which is BSD), and now windows includes linux with WSL. no excuse

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

George posted:

HDR is just a hoax, the human eye can inly see like three colors.

actually i'm a tetrachromat, incidentally thanks to my colorblind grandma

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Dear linux nerds: universal binaries plz

here, this is close enough

*hands over script that calls clang on hardcoded source code for entire app plus dependencies on each invocation before running the result*

same setup i use on my gentoo machines

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

actually i'm a tetrachromat, incidentally thanks to my colorblind grandma

Do you play videogames like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzq4ql0ZPIw

nevermind. I just looked it up. that's wild.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

beefweeter, maybe this is more your thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIo2V5e1bMw

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Branch Nvidian posted:

Actually it's extremely easy. Just boot and hit the install button

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ngl, i feel this way using mac/windows

i'm totally loving lost, and the second anything misbehaves i have no clue where to even begin to look. i catch poo poo for using linux, but i straight up don't know how to use windows or mac os

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

outhole surfer posted:

i'm totally loving lost, and the second anything misbehaves i have no clue where to even begin to look. i catch poo poo for using linux, but i straight up don't know how to use windows or mac os

agreed, it doesn't help that poo poo changes constantly in both without warning. my favorite thing in windows is wondering exactly which control panel a thing exists in

meanwhile i run xubuntu and it has never stopped being consistent. i think it's still the same as when i first ran xfce like 20 years ago. the way a computer should be

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

outhole surfer posted:

yeah I rly don’t know how to troubleshoot windows at this point. which is good, as I won’t help people with their problems

I use some combination of Linux netbsd and Mac. Mac is fine as it’s sufficiently unix

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OldAlias posted:

yeah I rly don’t know how to troubleshoot windows at this point. which is good, as I won’t help people with their problems

I use some combination of Linux netbsd and Mac. Mac is fine as it’s sufficiently unix

same

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

akadajet posted:

Will 2024 finally be the year of Linux on the desktop???

no thats next year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
all my clients use windows or a mix of windows and mac. i can move my particular workflows almost, but not quite entirely to linux, with a bit of effort. but there are a few things that just become a huge pain in the rear end because i'm using tools that are windows only.

even relatively simple poo poo like onedrive is unsupported and the oss tools to work with it are somehow even worse than onedrive on mac.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

akadajet posted:

beefweeter, maybe this is more your thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIo2V5e1bMw

unfortunately when people ask me "oh cool, what's it like?" i literally have no idea how to answer that because i have no idea what things look like to other people. my wife is a Legit Artist though and says i can identify extremely subtle color variations that she can't, with her already being very good at that

so basically the most useful thing i can do with it is calibrate a display without using a colorimeter

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

all my clients use windows or a mix of windows and mac. i can move my particular workflows almost, but not quite entirely to linux, with a bit of effort. but there are a few things that just become a huge pain in the rear end because i'm using tools that are windows only.

even relatively simple poo poo like onedrive is unsupported and the oss tools to work with it are somehow even worse than onedrive on mac.

just use the website on linux, it's Fine

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

why would you use anything anyone actually uses, you're supposed to set up your bespoke rsync solution to some "privacy respecting" european data storage company that nobody has heard of but they're Swiss so you know it's good!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

just use the website on linux, it's Fine

it isn't, for most of the things i do, no.

faxlore posted:

why would you use anything anyone actually uses, you're supposed to set up your bespoke rsync solution to some "privacy respecting" european data storage company that nobody has heard of but they're Swiss so you know it's good!

yeah, my real problem is attempting to use linux to accomplish a task that isn't either a)using linux or b)making more linux

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
you can do pretty much whatever on linux. i wouldn't be surprised if the windows onedrive client works under wine these days even, it's getting really really good with compatibility

idk i try to use windows, linux, and macos, but honestly i hate most of the recent UI changes to macos and subsequently haven't really used it in about a year. and they keep making it worse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a lot of my day is spent metaphorically punching myself in the dick, professionally, to make microsoft's bullshit work. i don't need to make that my hobby too by trying to do something as ridiculously perverse as run onedrive in wine

i have a mac, it runs windows. this is again because of that 1% of things i need that don't have non-windows tooling, and because macos basically works in exactly one way and if for any reason you think you need to do something outside of that you are wrong, and you shouldn't be using macos

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 3, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
hmm well when i do a reinstall of clear linux i'll give it a go for you (and no, i'm not reinstalling it because i messed it up or anything, i'm expanding my storage pool and want to redistribute where things are). but first i need a bite wound on my hand to heal up some more, i've been phoneposting all day

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i have a mac, it runs windows. this is again because of that 1% of things i need that don't have non-windows tooling, and because macos basically works in exactly one way and if for any reason you think you need to do something outside of that you are wrong, and you shouldn't be using macos

i miss snow leopard era macos. it was juuust open enough that if there wasn't a mac way of doing things, the linux/unix way usually would work instead

but now you can barely use the terminal and the ui looks like trash

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah there was a happy medium there where it was a very flexible and yet generally usable OS.

that's gone now, but it was the best *nix for a while there

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

i miss snow leopard era macos. it was juuust open enough that if there wasn't a mac way of doing things, the linux/unix way usually would work instead

but now you can barely use the terminal and the ui looks like trash

snow leopard was when macos was at its best, it's all been downhill from there

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

here, this is close enough

*hands over script that calls clang on hardcoded source code for entire app plus dependencies on each invocation before running the result*

same setup i use on my gentoo machines

you could probably actually do this if you compile to llvm bytecode and then invoke llc to recompile that to whatever the target is. and if it's not supported there's always the lli interpreter

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my friend got me a little Linux that looks like a gameboy and runs extremely legitimate old video game roms. it’s fun and the hardware is p deece for the price but the software is very linux. sleep doesn’t work right. the menus are ugly and kinda laggy. obviously someone has written a better linux you can load on it but it’s a whole goddamn thing. linux ftw

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

anbernic?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
they make a handheld linux now, its crazy

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

but onedrive works fine in linux? https://github.com/abraunegg/onedrive/

the caveats i know about is that you have to be able to approve it as an app against azuread/your tenant. that might be a hurdle too high for many.

that, and that linked/shared folders from other people in your tenant must be manually included in your config if you want it synced (e.g. list it in .config/onedrive/business_shared_folders)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

you could probably actually do this if you compile to llvm bytecode and then invoke llc to recompile that to whatever the target is. and if it's not supported there's always the lli interpreter

huh. never knew there was an interpreter for llvm ir. then again languages aren't my specialty and it's been like 5 years since i last did anything with llvm/clang and that was basically just getting an ast to do code generation with, so nowhere near the back end. still, good to know

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tankakern posted:

but onedrive works fine in linux? https://github.com/abraunegg/onedrive/

the caveats i know about is that you have to be able to approve it as an app against azuread/your tenant. that might be a hurdle too high for many.

that, and that linked/shared folders from other people in your tenant must be manually included in your config if you want it synced (e.g. list it in .config/onedrive/business_shared_folders)

yes, i used this as part of my workflow experiment a year ago.

lol if this "works"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

what you mean