Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will it?
Yes
No
View Results

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i guess i could put a desktop shortcut to the ubuntu container i use for some dev stuff but that doesn't seem very useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Dear linux nerds: universal binaries plz

here, this is close enough

*hands over script that calls clang on hardcoded source code for entire app plus dependencies on each invocation before running the result*

same setup i use on my gentoo machines

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

you could probably actually do this if you compile to llvm bytecode and then invoke llc to recompile that to whatever the target is. and if it's not supported there's always the lli interpreter

huh. never knew there was an interpreter for llvm ir. then again languages aren't my specialty and it's been like 5 years since i last did anything with llvm/clang and that was basically just getting an ast to do code generation with, so nowhere near the back end. still, good to know

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

seems mostly related to intel's dogshit graphics drivers more than anything else tbh

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also i will note that absolutely no company has spent longer, more time, money and general effort producing drivers for linux. ever. the i915 driver has been around for 20 years this year (introduced in linux 2.6, paid for in full by intel), and has during that time been the standard choice for getting graphics on linux actually reliably functioning.

which is not to say that it is good. just that all the others are worse and graphics on linux has a proud tradition of being pretty garbage.

e2: also if that is not already clear i do have a special hatred for the open source fan blubbering about how every company is letting the great open source efforts down, as far a roi nvidia for sure took a more correct route than intel.

i've solved that issue by only using linux for console/backend stuff and, above all else, never ever doing any graphics programming on linux. worked pretty well so far

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
well that's true for computers as a whole, though

ok i lied, computers are just plain terrible

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
wish your dad had redirected to /dev/null

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
lol if you use any linux api that isn't at most a thin wrapper over one of the actual system calls

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

that’s right there are no linux users, only linux victims

trying to dispute this statement but i really can't find any valid arguments against it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
that seems like an easy problem to solve by just ignoring vr

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
did opera support hardware acceleration? i bet it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

we have another thread for subjects like the embedded linux code running on their mom’s sex toy

linux? in my vagina? it's more likely than you think!