Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will it?
Yes
No
View Results

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i'm still waiting for hdr support. supposedly it's working now in plasma 6 with nvidia drivers. which is great, but also, lmao if i'm going to use a pre-release window manager

there's draft gnome patches for it, so it will probably be merged there in 5 years or so as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

the nouveau drivers have been hilariously broken on every piece of hardware i've ever tried them on. i've had about 70% success with the closed source drivers, with the other 30% of the time just rendering the system unable to boot due to some variety of kernel issue, across multiple distros.

i think system 76's pop_os is the first time poo poo "just worked" with an nvidia chipset for me, and their last update was 2022

nouveau has never been good, and development has basically been nonexistant for years since nvidia increasingly walled themselves off to the point that you needed to sign an nda just to view shader disassembly in debug tools. they would eventually enable new hardware as nvidia threw the necessary bits over the fence, but all it really did was allow a hardware accelerated desktop for the couple of minutes that it took to install the closed driver. that's changing with nvk and nvidia opening things up again, but at this point, most of the legacy parts of nouveau are probably considered to be a lost cause

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 3, 2024

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

there's probably some weird interaction when flushing while waiting on a fence. in general, there is almost no reason for an application to ever call glFlush()/glFinish(). in fact, a lot of drivers silently make them no-ops, because applications have misused them so much over the years

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

:wrong: all the linux threads are actively complaining about it actually. itll be better in a year or three probably but the user experience is still poo poo (see: nvidia is still broken)

i've been using wayland on nvidia for the last couple of years. outside of a few minor issues like xwayland application windows (never games) briefly flickering on rare occasions, it's been absolutely fine, and the explicit-sync fixes for that are queued up

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

finally catching up to what chrome on windows has supported for decades

chrome hasn't existed for decades

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is a piece of poo poo

you really need to get that monitor of yours fixed

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

bad news, league is getting yanked off linux on the desktop

https://twitter.com/PC_Focus_/status/1743587148941410400

lol vanguard is that flaming garbage that basically requires you to turn off all of an operating system's security features to run. even on windows it requires you to disable the shadow stack, and the troubleshooting guide basically reads "if it still doesn't work, turn off antivirus, defender, any anti-malware, and maybe run everything as administrator just to be safe". it's not even something that starts with the game, it runs at startup and is constantly in the background

it sounds worse than that starforce garbage from the 00s

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the saddest thing is that this implies that there are people who have so little going on in their lives, that they have nothing better to do than cheat in online bideo james

i mean, i was 16 once too, but even as an immature, socially stunted, dateless weirdo, i still had better things to do with my time

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lol @ the existence of yospos snobbery

grey forums also have unironic android recommenders/defenders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the bad old days when dsl modems didn't have built-in pppoe auth