Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will it?
Yes
No
View Results

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Beeftweeter posted:

wine is honestly, legitimately pretty great now

wine works for precisely the bits of the win32 api that are necessary for video games (empty user32 window for dxvk to work with, input apis, sound apis, file io, network io, whatever hokey crap denuvo does under the hood).

for everything else it is unusable garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
or binaries that still need to work 5 years from now

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also enjoying the fact that we've forked the linux thread for absolutely no reason, in the grand tradition of linux things

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
every now and again I try to daily KDE and it makes GNOME look downright polished by comparison

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i didn't feel like figuring out how to set up east asian language input under KDE and it works ootb under gnome so :shrug:

sometimes i do find myself wanting to minimize things in gnome but on the whole it seems to stay out of my way, and Meta+Home/End/PgUp/PgDn lets me zoom around virtual desktops quickly.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
containers are not a security boundary and that might cause Rights Holders to have the sads :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

seeing how intimately familiar you are with where the grey linux thread is maybe you should stay there

rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

(Update: Gaming on Linux reports that Ayaneo will be using an adapted version of Holo ISO, an Arch Linux configuration that describes itself as a "may as well be 99% of the way there" version of Steam Deck's SteamOS that "provide a close-to-official SteamOS experience." Thus it seems that official Valve support for non-Steam-Deck SteamOS distribution may still be a while off.)

so in other words what this means is that ayaneo has partnered with a bunch of crapware groups to bring their particular Value Added nuggets to their product, since there is no official licensing agreement with Valve.

i've pointed out before that every single third party android and windows machine has crapware. not some or most, every single goddamn one. because in a commodity hardware market your margins are razor thin and the crapware is where you make money.