Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Finished the 3 Body Problem. I enjoyed it. Granted it's been quite a long time since I've read the books but I feel like the show got the core gist of the first book across even while streamlining a lot. It was enjoyable, I'll definitely watch a second season if it comes out.

Just out of curiosity I started watching the first episode of the Chinese version. It's interesting that the opening scene 100% copies the opening scene of Contact, I guess that movie would be a lot less known in China. Also funny that it removes the Cultural Revolution stuff entirely, has the main character telling the police that he has civil rights and doesn't need to comply with their orders unless they have a warrant, and replaces all references to the US with "Country M."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

I think Dan "Teen Toe Defiler, Never Prosecuted" Schneider's last show was Victorious and TBH he really had no fucks at that point and probably thought he was untouchable considering the poo poo he put in there.

iCarly had the veneer of being neo-hippie and weird-internet stuff…

Dude was ALWAYS a creep. Way back in the day, the Amanda show had some oddly skeevy parts and that was still during his restrained phase. I remember being little and finding many of the Nick kids shows a bit gross. Like I didn’t understand WHY but it always hit different than Boy Meets World or even the more adult Malcolm in the Middle. Good news is it drove me more towards cartoons. Even those Nick variety and challenge shows felt gross. Everyone got slimed but it seemed to linger on girls getting slimed. Now I can look back and see pseudo money shots and be repulsed but back then it just felt uncomfortable even if I didn’t fully get it. Like I still remember some show where it made a big thing about some 12 year old girls legs in short shorts just moving around in slime and I was like “nope.” Bear in mind I’m jaded as hell and always have been. My Pops watched Robocop, Aliens and multiple Predator movies around me when I was 5. I borrowed my friends dad’s credit card to purchase an account here before I had pubes. If that poo poo made me cringe then I can only guess how others my age (including the actors) felt.

Basically kinda glad Nickelodeon went poof. Salt the earth. Sad that the docco made me look up Amanda Bynes now. No idea what went on, if anything, but hope she turns out ok. Why is it so hard for adults to just NOT hurt kids? I just don’t get it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Louis Gossett Jr died last night. 87 years old. :(

I'm glad he got an Oscar for An Officer And A Gentleman.

I liked the first Iron Eagle as a kid, and Enemy Mine was good too.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 29, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Jesus Christ the ending to Big Mood is bleak.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am just now checking out Twisted Metal on Peacock and man this is a lot of fun, I am shocked how much I like it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's got to be one of the biggest turnarounds from how bad the original trailer I saw was and how much I ended up enjoying the actual show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kinda shocked at how skilled Mario Lopez is at code switching. Check out his restaurant review on his personal page

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cz6m_OlxAWe/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mu Zeta posted:

Kinda shocked at how skilled Mario Lopez is at code switching. Check out his restaurant review on his personal page

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cz6m_OlxAWe/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

He was a childhood crush of mine and I think it just got renewed in adulthood with that clip. :lol:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mu Zeta posted:

It was hilarious a while ago when he made a video where he wasn't talking like a generic American and it shocked people who didn't realize that a guy named "Lopez" is hispanic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's like people who only know Andrew Lincoln from TWD.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1774184625872515479?t=PWGEjHs5x4t9GXSvSkUv1g&s=19

drat, super young. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, that's super young, Jesus :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Unsurprisingly season 2 of Gen V has been put on hold.

mystes
May 31, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Unsurprisingly season 2 of Gen V has been put on hold.
Unsurprisingly because not enough people watched it or was there some sort of scandal or something?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mystes posted:

Unsurprisingly because not enough people watched it or was there some sort of scandal or something?

I assume because of the thing three posts above yours

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, dude was one of the central characters of the show, it's gonna be near impossible to continue the show without heavy rewrites or recasting.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arist posted:

I assume because of the thing three posts above yours
oh yeah that would do it

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I don't feel like digging up the thread but I just watched S3E6 of The Righteous Gemstones and holy poo poo, this show is legitimately loving brilliant.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, dude was one of the central characters of the show, it's gonna be near impossible to continue the show without heavy rewrites or recasting.

Want he involved in some BTS drama when the show started where he turned out to hold some pretty questionable views?

A horrible tragedy and far too young.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They’ll recast. I can’t imagine they’ll write him out. They’d have to redo every script.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

Want he involved in some BTS drama when the show started where he turned out to hold some pretty questionable views?

A horrible tragedy and far too young.

I’m pretty sure he was a redpill dipshit who was hard into the Andrew Tate type crowd

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Woah I actually have a few things to look forward to. Top of the list are Ripley, Fallout, and Sugar.

The last of these is the one that I'm most anticipating and that I'll probably watch through to the end even if it starts off slow. Collin Farrell. In a neo-noir. As a hardboiled detective who is explicitly a fairly nice guy all things considered? Yes please.

The first episode of A Gentleman in Moscow also dropped and it's stylish but I'm not sure I'll keep going if they don't go anywhere with it. It's also odd. We see that something happened to his family. But because it's not dwelt on or even fully revealed, the pathos is meant to be that these aristocrats try to keep their spirits up having been reduced to living still better than basically any office worker in Russia at the time? We see Ewan McGregor led into a drafty room larger than mine and stoically accept it and are meant to feel bad? Or think how strong he must be to not break down?

e: I did chuckle real hard at 'It is not the business of gentlemen to have an occupation' though lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Jerrod Carmichael Reality Show sure is...

Hmm.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hmm.

Had no idea this existed, downloaded immediately

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bright Bart posted:

The last of these is the one that I'm most anticipating and that I'll probably watch through to the end even if it starts off slow. Collin Farrell. In a neo-noir. As a hardboiled detective who is explicitly a fairly nice guy all things considered? Yes please.

What sold me on Sugar is that it's apparently explicitly in direct conversation with classic film noir movies, on a textual, character, and thematic level. Seems like an interesting take on a neo-noir.

If you haven't seen Monsieur Spade, check that out. A breath of fresh air.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Renegade Nell of Disney+ is a lot of silly fun. Like the Dick Turpin show on Apple it's about highwaymen, in this case a highwaywoman played by the best Derry Girl, Louisa Harland. There are also demonic forces, faeries, loathsome aristocrats, coach chases and superpowered fight scenes.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

feedmyleg posted:

If you haven't seen Monsieur Spade, check that out. A breath of fresh air.

I liked it a lot more than I didn't! Even if I think they didn't stick the landing. At all. Not exactly a GoT misfire but still... And there were elements that distracted me from the story. Such as why Spade was a WWII pacifist (who kills people if he has to), or why there were shots of him swimming naked. That last part was explained in a nice way eventually but prior to that I thought it was a silly way to establish that he's a man's man who doesn't care what others see or think. That should have been evident by episode 2.

CeeJee posted:

Renegade Nell of Disney+ is a lot of silly fun. Like the Dick Turpin show on Apple it's about highwaymen, in this case a highwaywoman played by the best Derry Girl, Louisa Harland.

I jumped around and while I do like the lead, the character can't handle the show on her own. The sisters should have been more involved. Instead the B plots are the goings on with the villains.

In general I don't much appreciate British class-based humour. None of it. From blue collar workers misunderstanding words. Through middle class (or so they see themselves) managers being pretentious incompetents. Through 'Look! This is how the aristocracy is'. All the way to 'Haha the king farts!'.

The Gentlemen had too much of that. And Renegade Nell covers all the above bases.

I kind of want to destroy the British class system just to get rid of this style of comedy. Because they've been poking fun at the system themselves for hundreds of years and it's still there.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there a thread for Korean shows?

I recently watched a Korean workplace comedy called Gaus Electronics which was hilarious, and now I want more.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hmm.

Good hmm? Bad hmm??

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Good hmm? Bad hmm??

It's good, it's effective and funny and feels rawer than what you'd normally see in this kind of thing. But it's also the first time watching one of these sorta of fiction and reality blurring shows where I haven't been able to work out how "real" anything I'm seeing is. I suspect that might be the point, since it's essentially about a narcissistic impulse to self document and the artifice inherent to that, but I'm still left poking bits and pieces of it and wondering if the editing isn't just too good for it not to be heavily preconceived and largely improvised. But I generally think of Carmichael as being someone who'd make better acting choices if he was actually acting. But, again, maybe that's part of the trick. So I go back and forth.

It wrinkles my brain a little.

Knowing more about the guy now makes me want to go back and watch his sitcom again and read it in the light of this new information I'm seeing.

Edit: my main takeaway from this is that he and I have very different definitions of "twink" lol

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 31, 2024

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.pbs.org/video/remarkable-rabbits-a2lqwt/ PBS had on a documentary about rabbits for Easter. Rabbit babies: Born hairless in nests with eyes closed and dependent on the mother for 2 weeks after being born. Hare babies: Born with a full coat of hair right on the ground, eyes open, and ready to run an hour after being born. Also, rabbits have a courtship ritual called cavorting where they gather in a field late at night, the males runs around the field and then run at the females, who leap into the air while the males runs beneath them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God drat the first episode of that Carmichael show was fascinating lol. I really enjoyed it. Also that’s totally Bo Burnham in the ski mask right (just googled and yes he did in fact wear that to the Emmys that year lol, how long have they been loving filming this)

I’m learning towards largely fictional but honestly can’t say for sure and that’s a lot of fun for me

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I didn't get if Tyler was meant to be a stand-in for his real crush who may or may not be called Tyler or if it is ostensibly Tyler the Creator that he developed feelings for and was hoping against hope maybe they might be reciprocated

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I've been watching Constellation and maybe there's a twist but it's painfully obvious what's going on and it's annoying the protagonist is so behind the watcher in figuring it out. Yeah switching between universes or something where things are slightly different and the show gaslighting the protagonist. Or the twist is it's all brain damage/trauma but that doesn't really really explain how the Roscosmos boss is acting.

Also I miss quaint times where I could imagine Russia and western nations cooperating on something and people on the ground having common sensibilities and empathy :sigh: (Yeah I'm aware they are on some level for ISS)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

I didn't get if Tyler was meant to be a stand-in for his real crush who may or may not be called Tyler or if it is ostensibly Tyler the Creator that he developed feelings for and was hoping against hope maybe they might be reciprocated

Definitely the latter imo. Tyler’s the kind of guy who would both totally be in on it if it was fake and who would be willing to take part in the doc if it was real, which is fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dessel posted:

I've been watching Constellation and maybe there's a twist but it's painfully obvious what's going on and it's annoying the protagonist is so behind the watcher in figuring it out. Yeah switching between universes or something where things are slightly different and the show gaslighting the protagonist. Or the twist is it's all brain damage/trauma but that doesn't really really explain how the Roscosmos boss is acting.

Also I miss quaint times where I could imagine Russia and western nations cooperating on something and people on the ground having common sensibilities and empathy :sigh: (Yeah I'm aware they are on some level for ISS)

The show has some interesting ideas but waaaay to much of it is a character saying "I want to move the plot forward", walking towards the plot, and then saying "I DON'T WANT THE PLOT TO MOVE FORWARD!" and then walking away from the plot. It's very frustrating when you just want to learn more about the universe in the show and the writers are holding up a clear plastic box and saying "Isn't this a great mystery box? Don't you wish we'd open up this mystery box and show you what's in there?" While you can see right into the box and you wish they would just move on.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is Constellation over yet? I ended up deciding to stop watching as it comes out and wait until it's over and see how people rated it overall

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes it finished its season this week. I kinda liked it still and I’ll watch next season.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

3 body problem was good and they made some decent changes from the book to make it more tv showable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MarcusSA posted:

3 body problem was good and they made some decent changes from the book to make it more tv showable

I'm going onto the 4th episode and I like it. The humor doesn't always work and it's a more "breezy" maybe? than I thought it would be, but it's compelling. I've only read the first book and it feels like they might go further than that this season or maybe the pace is just going to get real slow, I dunno.

For a book that I thought was pretty much unfilmable they're getting it done.