Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I always watch TV while doing other stuff, so the length of a shows episodes don't matter too much to me. But that also means doing a season with fewer episodes that are twice as long will strictly feel like half a season. Each episode is just one unit of show, no extra credit for longies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Shows should be as long or as short as the production thinks is necessary. Same goes for season length, if they think 5 episodes is enough cool but if they think 13 is more appropriate, then also cool.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think many creatives have the luxury of getting the number of episodes that they would want.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I can't think of an example of that outside of Severance.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Black Mirror kind of does by telling Netflix "Sorry, we only made 3 episodes. Is that enough?"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Shows should be as long or as short as the production thinks is necessary. Same goes for season length, if they think 5 episodes is enough cool but if they think 13 is more appropriate, then also cool.

That would be rad but among other priorities to make good TV over do whatever random behaviour that investors seem to deliver the birdseed for. As it stands they can't even really set the schedule for how long and when to make their things.

That horrible plague certainly didn't help, still praying we find a cure for Zaslav-Max

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

anyone got any recs for Korean reality shows?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

d0grent posted:

anyone got any recs for Korean reality shows?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459105&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm now watching Vice Principals and I loving love it. I am catching up on a ton of shows I missed during the past decade.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/thr/status/1780740526016254163?s=46

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why?! I know they don't literally just redo every single IP that was ever made in the world, there is some selection process where they go "no, we won't reboot George Burns and Gracie Allen show or Space 1999." So what is the standard, why Old Boy, when the US remake was already so terrible on top of being superfluous.

The whole like super memorable thing about that movie, besides cool hammer fight scene, is yucky to the extreme and makes you like, never need or want to watch it again. It's not like rewatching Murders in the Building to see all the clues all along and even if it was... What you'd be looking at clues for is just a bummer.

If they wanna mine successful south Korean movies instead of make new things, remake Save the Green Planet!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

If they wanna mine successful south Korean movies instead of make new things, remake Save the Green Planet!

:ssh: They are and it's coming out very soon :ssh:

it's the new Yorgos Lanthimos film.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They should do an adaptation of Train to Busan. And by adaptation I mean they should screen Train to Busan on television every night. On all channels.

There was no sequel, don't lie and say there was a sequel.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
As the kids say, the original was busan'

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember when we used to be able to say Man instead of Old Boy. But I guess that’s Woke for you!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember when we used to be able to say Man instead of Old Boy. But I guess that’s Woke for you!

Bruh

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

They should do an adaptation of Train to Busan. And by adaptation I mean they should screen Train to Busan on television every night. On all channels.

someone adapted it into a sequel and it loving sucked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nightly panel shows should largely be about whether Ma Dong-seok is cool as gently caress. The answer is yes, but the bitter hours-long argument that ensue are about how cool as gently caress he is: incredibly very, or very goddamn. Ratings have never been higher.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wahLIbwZTLQ&t=24s

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
White Lies with Natalie Dormer is borderline boring and great at the same time.

But this kid is built like Wilson Fisk, and it's freaking me out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't know which Amazon employee had the genius idea to remake Friday Night Dinners, but I do wish they'd instead had the genius idea to quit their job and do something else.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Buddy that's exactly what that poster is saying, why would you think they didn't know there was a sequel??

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Taear posted:

Buddy that's exactly what that poster is saying, why would you think they didn't know there was a sequel??

Who said i thought they didn't know. I said it because i was told not too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm with Steg here, it's a poo poo tier meme.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm rewatching the first season of Heartbreak High. Like a more realistic Sex Education. It's pretty good hey

The bit in the finale where Cash escapes the cops to profess his love for his boyfriend is like something out of a bush ranger ballad. So loving good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Stegosnaurlax posted:

White Lies with Natalie Dormer is borderline boring and great at the same time.

Wow, there's a name I feel like I haven't seen in a long time. I feel like she was fairly big for like a decade and then suddenly vanished.

Although looking it up now, I forgot that she was in Penny Dreadful: City of Angels that came out right at the start of the pandemic and I feel like just disappeared. Was that any good, as someone who loved the original Penny Dreadful?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Wow, there's a name I feel like I haven't seen in a long time. I feel like she was fairly big for like a decade and then suddenly vanished.

Although looking it up now, I forgot that she was in Penny Dreadful: City of Angels that came out right at the start of the pandemic and I feel like just disappeared. Was that any good, as someone who loved the original Penny Dreadful?

She worked pretty consistently until 2020. Back in the day she was great as Anne Boleyn on The Tudors. I know she was on Game of Thrones. I really liked her as a recurring villain on Elementary, too. A combination of Irene Adler and Moriarty.

Looking her up though, you're right that she disappeared in 2020 until this year, for White Lies. Plenty of reasons to disappear in 2020, though, and take a break.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching the first episode of Conan O'Brien Must Go and they got Werner Herzog to narrate the opening, hell yeah

e: So far this is just like his old remotes, I'm so happy

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 18, 2024

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

Watching the first episode of Conan O'Brien Must Go and they got Werner Herzog to narrate the opening, hell yeah

Why watch something new when I can just rewatch the Gigolos Mug remote?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That movie really fell apart in its last act. Just weirdly sentimental and maudlin.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Rageaholic posted:

it's so awkward watching him interact with everyone in norway because we're a society of mostly introverts

also "sex before coffee" is not an expression in norway and seems to come from a single street interview instagram where someone interviewed a few danish women, and someone else turned into a book about "dating in scandinavia"

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

You know, you can tell Ryan Murphy's not as involved in this season of AHS because although there is crazy, it's controlled and tempered by quiet moments and a general sense of unease and horror. I love this season and there's only one episode yet. Wondering whether it's going to screw the pooch or be good all the way through.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jordan Schlansky shows up in this Argentina episode of Conan's show :allears: This is amazing

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I watched "Boy Swallows Universe" over the past few days and was surprised no one talked about it here. It was pretty good, with some strong character growth. It made it really feel like time was passing realistically, with things like the alcoholic dad struggling to overcome alcoholism and being quite stunted socially in a way that I couldn't tell if it was because of or masked by the drinking and the mute brother eventually talking, also the philosophical/fantasy-lite "future memories" thing. I didn't like the very bizarre ending with the mad scientist mutant lab; felt like the guy being a drug kingpin with an underground drug manufacturing lab like Breaking Bad would have been more realistic.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Abbott season 3 is still good but having Janine away from the school was a weird choice to hinge any kind of "hmm will she pursue this other job or return to her classroom" on since at no point can you honestly expect any other outcome. Didn't need to be teasing it for 10 episodes so far.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

I watched "Boy Swallows Universe" over the past few days and was surprised no one talked about it here. It was pretty good, with some strong character growth. It made it really feel like time was passing realistically, with things like the alcoholic dad struggling to overcome alcoholism and being quite stunted socially in a way that I couldn't tell if it was because of or masked by the drinking and the mute brother eventually talking, also the philosophical/fantasy-lite "future memories" thing. I didn't like the very bizarre ending with the mad scientist mutant lab; felt like the guy being a drug kingpin with an underground drug manufacturing lab like Breaking Bad would have been more realistic.

Yeah, it's very much something that starts as kitchen sink drama and ends up Batman

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

thrawn527 posted:

She worked pretty consistently until 2020. Back in the day she was great as Anne Boleyn on The Tudors. I know she was on Game of Thrones. I really liked her as a recurring villain on Elementary, too. A combination of Irene Adler and Moriarty.

Looking her up though, you're right that she disappeared in 2020 until this year, for White Lies. Plenty of reasons to disappear in 2020, though, and take a break.

She had a kid in 2021.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Ripley looks so beautiful. though an Italian town and villa shot in black and white is half the battle

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mistermojo posted:

Ripley looks so beautiful. though an Italian town and villa shot in black and white is half the battle

Every time he had to walk up stairs I got exhausted

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Abbott season 3 is still good but having Janine away from the school was a weird choice to hinge any kind of "hmm will she pursue this other job or return to her classroom" on since at no point can you honestly expect any other outcome. Didn't need to be teasing it for 10 episodes so far.

For an inner city public school, Abbott has soooo many celebrities visit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Don't think I've laughed harder at anything more than the Larry David lookalike in Conan's new show. What a treasure that man is. :allears: