Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

isaboo posted:

Ok sure, HBO's Oz was a wild ride but do we really need more of it? A short film will be released on YouTube May 1 with the possibility of a series revival.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/hbos-oz-to-get-short-film-sequel-zo/

I think Oz could be re-made, but a sequel would seem like a re-tread, given that it ends with the prison closing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also aren't most of the major characters dead by the end of the series? There really aren't that many stories to pick up. Like the best idea would be a reboot in spirit where you tell similar stories with new characters.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still doing my You’re the Worst rewatch, still considering that it’s one of the funniest shows ever written:

quote:

“I think you'd actually like therapy. It's really helpful to look at your life from a different perspective. Like when they stood on the desks in Dead Poets Society.”

“Didn't that one kid shoot himself?”

“Like I'm learning how because of my mom's impossibly high expectations, I can never turn my brain off. I am really opening the trunk and seeing what's inside.”

“Don't you mean the hood? Your trunk's just cartons of Mexican cigarettes, old Halloween wigs and five bags of clothes you never donated to Goodwill.“

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Escobarbarian posted:

Still doing my You’re the Worst rewatch, still considering that it’s one of the funniest shows ever written:

It's not only funny, I maintain that it has the most accurate depiction of depression I've ever seen. Like I FELT that arc.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm finally starting to get tired of mental health as a topic in all of media. It really is in loving everything.

e: i'm also tired of the rain in California. I miss the drought and months of sunny days.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

muscles like this! posted:

Also aren't most of the major characters dead by the end of the series? There really aren't that many stories to pick up. Like the best idea would be a reboot in spirit where you tell similar stories with new characters.

I know Beecher and O'Reilly are still alive at the end but I'm not sure about any others.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oz being Oz, if the movie is about Beecher being called back to Oz because "it twere h'anted!" And only he can put rhe spirits to rest I wouldn't be in the least surprised.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Medullah posted:

It's not only funny, I maintain that it has the most accurate depiction of depression I've ever seen. Like I FELT that arc.

Even more than that Bojack opening? I felt violated by that. How dare you steal my most private thoughts and animate them with a goofy talking horse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of amazing that Fallout was able to completely nail all of the vibes/look of the games while also still actually being a good TV show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some detectives shows that are a nice balance of mystery and humor? I recently rewatched the 2010 Dirk Gently series and am wanting something else that deftly blends the two. I don't necessarily need something of that same tone or vibe, anything from any era is good. Extra points if it's pre-2000. I'm good if it's just a particularly humorous episode of The Rockford Files or an old Sherlock Holmes series that's particularly witty.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

feedmyleg posted:

What are some detectives shows that are a nice balance of mystery and humor? I recently rewatched the 2010 Dirk Gently series and am wanting something else that deftly blends the two. I don't necessarily need something of that same tone or vibe, anything from any era is good. Extra points if it's pre-2000. I'm good if it's just a particularly humorous episode of The Rockford Files or an old Sherlock Holmes series that's particularly witty.

Touching Evil, with Robson Green. Not really humour other than the hilarious amount of serials killers in the uk over that time period.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

feedmyleg posted:

Columbo Columbo Columbo!

Although with Columbo, the mystery isn't a whodunnit at all, it's a howcatchem.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

muscles like this! posted:

It is kind of amazing that Fallout was able to completely nail all of the vibes/look of the games while also still actually being a good TV show.

Sure the visual set pieces are all highly based on the later games, but the vibe and humor is really giving fallout 1/2 and Wasteland vibes. Really enjoyed this one.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Cactus posted:

Halfway through episode two of Baby Reindeer and wtf is this guys problem? I'm constantly saying what are you doing in staggering disbelief. Is the twist going to be that he's just as mentally ill as she is if not more so?

edit: finished the episode and I think I have an idea where this might be going.

edit2: The beginning of the next episode "it always does" indicates I'm on the right track. My main prediction for where this is going is: completely off the loving rails in the most unpredictable and ridiculous way I could never have imagined.

I was not expecting Baby Reindeer to be as real as it was. It's emotionally harrowing seeing someone with such realistic self-destructive and self-sabotaging behaviors born from trauma to the point that it was nearly triggering. When I finished the series and read that it was based on the lead actor/writer's actual life, it broke my heart that much more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Even more than that Bojack opening? I felt violated by that. How dare you steal my most private thoughts and animate them with a goofy talking horse.

It’s coming at it from kind of a different angle. BoJack is more about the self-loathing, the depiction in You’re the Worst focuses on the burned-out everything has lost its joy side of things. They’re both pretty fuckin relatable

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So, squid. Any thoughts?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe Bored to death? Been ages since I seen it so idk how it holds up

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Your idea of humor might not match, but I will throw out Hercule Poirot (the one with David Suchet)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Jonathan Creek.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

Have you seen Psych?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

Bojack is great too, but I think You're the Worst does it better. Just nails the emptiness and illogical feelings you get.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
There's a NZ detective series called 'Brokenwood Mysteries' that is currently filling that slot for us. Really leans in to the ridiculous in some episodes.

E:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Jonathan Creek.

Creek went right downhill towards the end imo. He moves out of the windmill and gets a proper job in an office, wearing a suit and tie, and we're supposed to think this is a good thing? Bah.
Had a few good seasons before that though.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 22, 2024

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Watching the Argentina episode of Conan and my wife asks "whats the deal with this Jordan guy?" Oh babe, buckle up, there are some segments you gotta see.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Monk is a classic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

isaboo posted:

Ha, same. Also true for aintitcool.com and chud.com. the chud.com forums in the late 90s was a wild place, approaching SA levels of drama

E: Lol I somehow didn't notice that chud.com hasn't been updated since 2021

Aintitcool.com is way more surprising. That site should have died when the Saga of Harry Knowles came to an end. He was a horrible person, and when that came to light and he left the site, the whole thing should have come crashing down.

Dark Horizons is just a TV and movie news aggregator run by Garth Franklin out of Australia. As far as I know, nothing bad has ever come out about him, and he's just been silently chugging along doing his thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean if you want old sites still chugging along....

https://www.bluesnews.com/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I mean if you want old sites still chugging along....

https://www.bluesnews.com/

My hobby is video game emulation and let me tell you, that site looks like a futuristic fancy webpage compared to some of the poo poo I look at.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thanks for the comedy/detective suggestions, all, added most of 'em to my list.

I started watching Houdini & Doyle after finishing Dirk Gently, since it's got the same creator and star. The Houdini actor is the weak link by far, but even by the end of the first episode I settled into him and didn't mind so much. The writing was rather good, I adore the subject matter, the mystery was well drawn, and the cast was solid outside of Houdini's miscasting. Seems like a winner.

Also tried Year of the Rabbit, but found the writing in the first episode to be quite poor. I might still keep watching just because the setting is charming, Berry is always a fun time, and it doesn't have that many episodes. I still had a few chuckles, though, and it seems like good second-screen TV. Funny how the two shows have such similar setups.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 22, 2024

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Been watching through American Crime Story since oj bit it, on season 3. I can't believe people complained about the makeup, it's what these people look/looked like. It's a lot better than John Goodman playing Linda Tripp.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The 30 for 30 OJ is also really good

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Also tried Year of the Rabbit, but found the writing in the first episode to be quite poor. I might still keep watching just because the setting is charming, Berry is always a fun time, and it doesn't have that many episodes. I still had a few chuckles, though, and it seems like good second-screen TV. Funny how the two shows have such similar setups.

I can't back this up but yotr felt like a show Berry was brought in to punch up, rather than being his show... Like it should have been a weak Tony Robinson vehicle that no one would buy unless Berry took his role. But I didn't watch much so yeah maybe it gets real good idn

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
poo poo, I think I'm going to end up watching a lot of Monk.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

poo poo, I think I'm going to end up watching a lot of Monk.

I watched through several seasons of it recently and it goes off the rails in a lot of very fun ways. One of my favorite episodes was the Sarah Silverman one where she plays the world's biggest fan of the TV show Monk, much to the confusion of all the other characters. The complete lack of taking itself seriously is very charming.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They also recently made a movie to revisit the character.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
YO, I just watched Drugstore June, Esther Provitsky's new film. Reckon people who like her other stuff from tv (Crazy Ex Girlfriend, Alone Together, Dollface) might be into the film because it's essentially another two hours of that.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Last ep of baby reindeer. Oh god I'm not even 5 minutes in and I have emotional whiplash.

edit: Oh god that line "I grew up in the Catholic Church." Just delivered point blank with absolutely no further explanation required.

Oh my GOD "There's nothing like getting everything you want in life to realize it's not for you" this show is spitting out wisdom.

And my last edit on this post as I reach the end of the series is that everyone in this story (well, the main characters) are fuckass terrible damaged fuckups, but you can almost say that nobody (out of the main characters in this story) is at fault; they are all reacting to the horrible poo poo done to them, they're taking the only actions that the abnormal circumstances of their situations allow them to see are available. They sabotage their own lives to numb the pain.

Wow. Such a great show.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 23, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm gonna check out Baby Reindeer.

But in the meantime, Haven vs Eureka - which should I choose? Both look pretty fun!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Haven is more straight, Eureka is more silly.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's been a while since I've seen it but iirc Haven is very loosely based on a Stephen King short story. One of his supernatural mystery ones, not horror. That doesn't really tell you much except give you a sense of the vibe the mysteries have. I remember it being very moody. Loads of rainy Maine coast shots and stuff.

Eureka on the other hand is all fancy gizmos, crazy gimmicks, lots of bright colors and cheesy jokes. What if a mad scientist genetically engineered idk brocolli so that when people eat it they can walk through walls and a wild west bank robber was accidentally timetravelled here and eats it? It's silly and fun, but also has a lot of heart in a mid 2000s way. You can tell the actors are having fun just hamming it up dealing with rogue robots and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Severance s2 has finally wrapped filming.