Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I had no idea Haven was a show that existed and I just looked it up, might just end up binging it, seems fascinating.

Talking of small towns in American Canadian TV shows, are there actually small island towns such as the one in Midnight Mass in existence in the US? Plenty of small towns in media that don't seem to be viable in the 2020's.... Like Locke & Key too, no way a town as podunky as that could possibly hold a high school as large as it has.

fake edit: It turns out the aerial shots of the town in Haven are Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.... and Locke & Key's town is largely shot there as well. Hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Severance s2 has finally wrapped filming.

Also Tramell Tillman got cast in the next Mission Impossible movie.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Taeke posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it but iirc Haven is very loosely based on a Stephen King short story. One of his supernatural mystery ones, not horror. That doesn't really tell you much except give you a sense of the vibe the mysteries have. I remember it being very moody. Loads of rainy Maine coast shots and stuff.

Eureka on the other hand is all fancy gizmos, crazy gimmicks, lots of bright colors and cheesy jokes. What if a mad scientist genetically engineered idk brocolli so that when people eat it they can walk through walls and a wild west bank robber was accidentally timetravelled here and eats it? It's silly and fun, but also has a lot of heart in a mid 2000s way. You can tell the actors are having fun just hamming it up dealing with rogue robots and whatnot.

Eureka is a all around fun show. Colin Ferguson plays such a lovable dumb sheriff
Also, Joe Morton is great in it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Man, I haven’t thought about Eureka in years. Definitely good memories, though. Very emblematic of peak mid-00s Syfy Channel when Eureka and BSG were on at the same time.

I feel like there needs to be a name for that sort of show that mixed a certain genre and tone of that period. Eureka, Warehouse 13, The 4400, The Librarians, Continuum, Lost Girl… obviously “Vancouver production” is a common element. But they’re also something like the opposite of grimdark, without going to the full degree of cloying positivity like Good Place and Parks and Rec.

Dessel posted:

Talking of small towns in American Canadian TV shows, are there actually small island towns such as the one in Midnight Mass in existence in the US?

Most small island towns tend to be big seasonal tourist attractions, so will have tens of thousands in summer and then a few hundred in winter.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Did anyone watch The Regime? I watched the first 4 episodes and not sure it's worth finishing. It feels like it still hasn't gotten to the point 2/3s of the way through.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Did anyone watch The Regime? I watched the first 4 episodes and not sure it's worth finishing. It feels like it still hasn't gotten to the point 2/3s of the way through.

The last two episodes are IMO by far the best of the show, so worth finishing if you got that far. But it did feel like a show that had great acting but never really fully knew what it was going for in terms of plot or tone.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Taeke posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it but iirc Haven is very loosely based on a Stephen King short story. One of his supernatural mystery ones, not horror. That doesn't really tell you much except give you a sense of the vibe the mysteries have. I remember it being very moody. Loads of rainy Maine coast shots and stuff.

Eureka on the other hand is all fancy gizmos, crazy gimmicks, lots of bright colors and cheesy jokes. What if a mad scientist genetically engineered idk brocolli so that when people eat it they can walk through walls and a wild west bank robber was accidentally timetravelled here and eats it? It's silly and fun, but also has a lot of heart in a mid 2000s way. You can tell the actors are having fun just hamming it up dealing with rogue robots and whatnot.

The main character of Haven's voice is grating for me, not sure if it's a fry, an accent or her drawl. But i couldn't deal with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Man, I haven’t thought about Eureka in years. Definitely good memories, though. Very emblematic of peak mid-00s Syfy Channel when Eureka and BSG were on at the same time.

I feel like there needs to be a name for that sort of show that mixed a certain genre and tone of that period. Eureka, Warehouse 13, The 4400, The Librarians, Continuum, Lost Girl… obviously “Vancouver production” is a common element. But they’re also something like the opposite of grimdark, without going to the full degree of cloying positivity like Good Place and Parks and Rec

Continuum is as grim as anything the Syfy channel put out, except BSG and maybe Defiance. It's a great show though.

Aesthetically I sense what you're gesturing at, but I think your list is two different kinds of television shows that just happen to be Canadian genre fiction. Eureka / Warehouse 13 / The Librarians are on one tonal end of things, and The 4400 / Lost Girl / Continuum are more sort of in the middle of things, sort of between your Alphas and Blood Drive. And then the really bleak stuff like The 100, Colony and Ghost Wars (does anyone remember this thing? Wild.) would be even further along.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Librarians show and movies are way better than they have any right to be

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Open Source Idiom posted:

Continuum is as grim as anything the Syfy channel put out, except BSG and maybe Defiance. It's a great show though.

Aesthetically I sense what you're gesturing at, but I think your list is two different kinds of television shows that just happen to be Canadian genre fiction. Eureka / Warehouse 13 / The Librarians are on one tonal end of things, and The 4400 / Lost Girl / Continuum are more sort of in the middle of things, sort of between your Alphas and Blood Drive. And then the really bleak stuff like The 100, Colony and Ghost Wars (does anyone remember this thing? Wild.) would be even further along.

Poor Colony. Under appreciated because of people's hatred of Lori Grimes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Not only am I blown away by baby reindeer but (and I mentioned this in the UKTV thread) it's wild to me how loving everyone here is talking about it.
Passing by some middle aged guys digging up the road and they're discussing it, 18 year olds I work with talking about it, my parents mentioning it to me
It's just everywhere

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I know a few of you are huge Columbo fans, just noticed Vudu has the entire series for $25

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Read a review for the Knuckles show that said for a show that's ostensibly about Knuckles he isn't in it that much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just watched episode 7 of Fallout and kind of goofy how that was the one with a bunch of guest stars.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Why is this dude ashamed of dating a trans woman in Baby Reindeer? Also, it seems like he is pretending to be a trans man unless I'm not understanding the dialogue. Don't really get what they are going for there, but I'm only two episodes in.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Medullah posted:

I know a few of you are huge Columbo fans, just noticed Vudu has the entire series for $25

I would pick this up except it's missing the two pilots, which is weird and unfortunate

guess I'll wait for the "Complete and Uncut" edition

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
if anyone can find it (It's drat near impossible), there's a Dinner for Five episode with Fav, Peter Falk, Vince Vaugn, Cheri Oteri and Gary Shandling

Vince is wearing Peter Falk down to his last nerve. it's loving brilliant.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Digital Jedi posted:

Eureka is a all around fun show. Colin Ferguson plays such a lovable dumb sheriff
Also, Joe Morton is great in it

Eureka was a lot of fun to watch, like psych. I thought eureka was a part of the "blue skies" usa era along with psych, royal pains and burn notice but I guess it was on sci-fi channel.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Taear posted:

Not only am I blown away by baby reindeer but (and I mentioned this in the UKTV thread) it's wild to me how loving everyone here is talking about it.
Passing by some middle aged guys digging up the road and they're discussing it, 18 year olds I work with talking about it, my parents mentioning it to me
It's just everywhere

its so popular the creator had to release a public statement begging people to stop accusing his friends of being his abusers

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

shirunei posted:

Why is this dude ashamed of dating a trans woman in Baby Reindeer? Also, it seems like he is pretending to be a trans man unless I'm not understanding the dialogue. Don't really get what they are going for there, but I'm only two episodes in.

Because it's sorta gay
It does go into that

I don't know why you think he's pretending to be a trans man though, you've totally got the wrong end of the stick there

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/dcarterruff/status/1782985889959846192?t=RYqV08DF1C4xQiW1UtoC6g&s=19

I personally would no longer be able to participate. Its straight out of a scene.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

First 3 episodes of Big Door Prize are out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

swickles posted:

https://twitter.com/dcarterruff/status/1782985889959846192?t=RYqV08DF1C4xQiW1UtoC6g&s=19

I personally would no longer be able to participate. Its straight out of a scene.

"Tim what are you doing? Why do you keep looking forward like that?" "SHUT UP I'M HOPING THE CAMERA POINTS THIS WAY"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Escobarbarian posted:

Severance s2 has finally wrapped filming.

Geesus...finally.

Now I wonder where Silo is at.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Geesus...finally.

Now I wonder where Silo is at.

Underground

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

Ok if I buy this like, where is it housed, what app do I have to shackle myself to

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

Ok if I buy this like, where is it housed, what app do I have to shackle myself to

Vudu/Fandango at Home.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vudu supports MoviesAnywhere, but I don’t know if that applies to TV shows?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Vudu supports MoviesAnywhere, but I don’t know if that applies to TV shows?

Nope.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

Vudu/Fandango at Home.

Well...$25 for the whole series would be worth it even if I had to have the Vudu app on my tablet for the rest of my life. I've never seen more than a handful of episodes because it's never been streaming anywhere

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What? Aren't they all on peacock or Paramount Plus? Can't remember which but I definitely watched a shitload of Columbo on em earlier this year.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Vudu will be mergered 4 times before you get through half the episodes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was my guess, but I wouldn’t entirely trust a companies name to be 100% accurate. See: Carphone Warehouse who existed multiple decades after anyone was using a carphone. MoviesAndTVShowsAnywhere doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

What? Aren't they all on peacock or Paramount Plus? Can't remember which but I definitely watched a shitload of Columbo on em earlier this year.

They may have been on an ad-supported platform but I don't do that

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Well...$25 for the whole series would be worth it even if I had to have the Vudu app on my tablet for the rest of my life. I've never seen more than a handful of episodes because it's never been streaming anywhere

Columbo is also on Peacock my dude. I haven’t checked but looks like all 10 seasons

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Welp

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Columbo is also $25 currently on iTunes. So I imagine it's a sale that's going to be present in your walled garden of choice.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

At me when Mrs. Columbo goes on sale

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

I just block the ads. Vudu is also an ad-supported platform. So you're best bet will be Goku for streaming or download sharing for soft copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Big Door Prize is back for season two, I was a little disappointed in the first season, but I liked it enough to want to see where it goes next.

Also, Blue Lights one of my favorite shows last year came out with a second season recently.