Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watching the John Adams series and in the bit in episode 3 where he's in the Netherlands, right before he gets sick and starts hallucinating, and when the scene is immersing you in all things Dutch, the camera does this poo poo

lol :golfclap: ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m still losing my mind over it honestly. It’s like a 75 year old grandma decided to register an account

Snidely posting about posters instead is somehow even more pathetic than some goon being a little uncomfortable about a show. Shocking.

Ah wait, Esco has always been a dimwitted bully more interested in frothing rage posts over reasonably discussing things. Not shocking!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

shirunei posted:

Snidely posting about posters

quote:

Ah wait, Esco has always been a dimwitted bully

:thunk:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not trying to be funny…not trying to ruin anyone’s day but….I never got the concept of having to have a character to root for or making moralistic judgements bout the character of, uh, characters. They’re fake they can’t “have borderline personality disorder”. Like i get that there is media where you do feel like, and are intended to, root for a guy to win, and thats dun, but not everything has to be like that. but really all I care about is “is this entertaining, to me”

Basically, me but change the nFL shield to TV

https://twitter.com/JonHuck/status/1358479894674509825

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 26, 2024

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Tom Ripley is one of the most famous psychopaths/murderers in literature

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Media is the only church most of us attend. I see both merit in your detachment and in people who do not wish to fill their heads with the fictional words and deeds of bad people. I also suspect that everyone is not as good as quarantining reality and fiction, especially these days when so much of reality is fiction based.

Considering people can easily remember fiction as a true memory and history and it's cool and good that some people bail instead of absorbing bad folks and attitudes that get pushed in with the rest.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Jesus

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Tom Ripley is one of the most famous psychopaths/murderers in literature

Well his trailer was really boring

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wait, Ripley ISN'T the shocking true story behind the creation of legendary television show Ripley's Believe It...or Not? :gonk:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I thought it’s a sci-fi thing???

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Watched the first episode of Ripley and it’s interesting so far. I only know about the movie with Matt D and Mr Law but so far I’m liking where the show is going with the story.

I’m not convinced with the black and white but it’s a choice.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mokotow posted:

I thought it’s a sci-fi thing???

Speculative fiction: why would a super bored socialite invite movie star attractive male, Andrew Scott into their home, even though he's in his thirties????

The answer may confound you

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly the stalker is so annoying, I’d tell her to gently caress off immediately

The show really is about why he can't do that

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

shirunei posted:

Snidely posting about posters instead is somehow even more pathetic than some goon being a little uncomfortable about a show. Shocking.

Ah wait, Esco has always been a dimwitted bully more interested in frothing rage posts over reasonably discussing things. Not shocking!

Boy I wonder who this is an alt for

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The OP was a blatant troll post and I'm shocked people fell for it

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

zoux posted:

Not trying to be funny…not trying to ruin anyone’s day but….I never got the concept of having to have a character to root for or making moralistic judgements bout the character of, uh, characters. They’re fake they can’t “have borderline personality disorder”. Like i get that there is media where you do feel like, and are intended to, root for a guy to win, and thats dun, but not everything has to be like that. but really all I care about is “is this entertaining, to me”

Ultimately it’s a good thing that there is something for everyone, I’m never going to watch Breaking Bad or Sopranos but I’m happy that they are there for the people who like watching terrible people doing terrible things.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

Ultimately it’s a good thing that there is something for everyone, I’m never going to watch Breaking Bad or Sopranos but I’m happy that they are there for the people who like watching terrible people doing terrible things.

Yeah, it's interesting -- I'm rewatching Breaking Bad through with a mate and he's just not compelled by a lot of it. There's no tension in the main story because he just can't relate to Walt and sees his villainy and cruelty as a foregone conclusion from the off, if not already seriously present in the narrative to a degree in which he can't sympathise. If he's there for anyone he's there for Skylar and Marie, which essentially puts him in diametric opposition to the way a lot of people watch the show.

Similarly, while I recognise that The Sopranos is a very finely crafted show, it's also one that I really struggle to enjoy in any way shape or form -- except when it's being absurd. A lot of the central dramas / discussions around the show were groundbreaking, but they're like BraBad in that they're already solved issues for me, and the Italian and mob film cultural elements are so foreign to me that it often became more hard work than I wanted when piecing the narrative together. Like, I get that it's in communication with Goodfellas etc. but I've never seen a mobster film. I just fundamentally lack the attraction to them, in the same way that my friends just fundamentally lacks the kind of Batman fantasy that powers Breaking Bad. So the central tensions that power the show (identification and revulsion with the main character) are fundamentally uncompelling, I just have no identification with Tony.

But we both watch something like YOU or Ripley and get it, because they're using antisocial fantasies and genre elements to talk about alienation and dissociation, and that I get.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Five minutes into Netflix's Dead Boy Detective's adaptation and I can see this is continuing their habit of delivering absolutely woeful exposition in their tentpole productions. Jesus, I think every line is a new piece of compactly delivered "as you know" style information, and then they've dubbed more over the top because that somehow wasn't clear enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Five minutes into Netflix's Dead Boy Detective's adaptation and I can see this is continuing their habit of delivering absolutely woeful exposition in their tentpole productions. Jesus, I think every line is a new piece of compactly delivered "as you know" style information, and then they've dubbed more over the top because that somehow wasn't clear enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3zL1bM3kg

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, it's interesting -- I'm rewatching Breaking Bad through with a mate and he's just not compelled by a lot of it. There's no tension in the main story because he just can't relate to Walt and sees his villainy and cruelty as a foregone conclusion from the off, if not already seriously present in the narrative to a degree in which he can't sympathise. If he's there for anyone he's there for Skylar and Marie, which essentially puts him in diametric opposition to the way a lot of people watch the show.

I finished BB finally last year and felt pretty similar to your friend. Walt just sucks so much it's hard to ever want anything but bad happen to him. Jesse sucks too but there are moments up to a point where I feel real empathy for him and just want him out of Walt's mess.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m still losing my mind over it honestly. It’s like a 75 year old grandma decided to register an account

It's how my dad watches TV and movies. If he can't "root for" anyone, he hates it. He also hates any TV show or movie that doesn't have a happy ending.

And as a matter of fact, he's a 74 year old grandfather, so that checks out. But he's always been that way. Hates Goodfellas because he doesn't "like" anyone in it. I've always adjusted my recommendations to him accordingly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't have to sympathize with anyone in a TV show or movie, but I do have to be interested in them. Gangster stuff I have a tough time with, not because they're morally reprehensible, but because largely they're uninteresting losers. So in that sense I don't like Goodfellas because I don't like any of the characters.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

It's how my dad watches TV and movies. If he can't "root for" anyone, he hates it. He also hates any TV show or movie that doesn't have a happy ending.

And as a matter of fact, he's a 74 year old grandfather, so that checks out. But he's always been that way. Hates Goodfellas because he doesn't "like" anyone in it. I've always adjusted my recommendations to him accordingly.

This attitude always feels really American to me, UK TV is absolutely packed with people who you're meant to look down on rather than empathise with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Taear posted:

This attitude always feels really American to me, UK TV is absolutely packed with people who you're meant to look down on rather than empathise with.

Lol that attitude feels really British to me

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

British are really good at punching down.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Taear posted:

Stephen Fry has commented on this before, and the example he gives from Animal House is perfect. (It's a short video, about 4 minutes.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k2AbqTBxao

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

zoux posted:

Lol that attitude feels really British to me

Yea it is, not saying it's a good thing but it's funny to me how media landscapes shape what's around and how people relate to what they see.

thrawn527 posted:

Stephen Fry has commented on this before, and the example he gives from Animal House is perfect. (It's a short video, about 4 minutes.)

is there a summary written? I cannot watch a video.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Taear posted:

Yea it is, not saying it's a good thing but it's funny to me how media landscapes shape what's around and how people relate to what they see.

is there a summary written? I cannot watch a video.

You know the scene in Animal House where Belushi's character is coming down the stairs and sees a folk singer playing the guitar? And he grabs the guitar and smashes it? And then wags his eyebrows? A British comedian would want to play the folk singer.

American comedians always want to be smart, non-stop quip machines. British comedians are always looked down on, and are down trodden losers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Basically the great British comic characters are all sad losers and great American comic characters are Chad quip machines.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
art imitates life

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

yeah that's great, and explains the difference between Seinfeld and Peep Show

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tho if you want to talk about sad sacks who think they're not, George Constanza is the prime example of this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Even sadsack loser George scores regularly with incredibly hot women. Mark Corrigan is the most miserable bastard in London.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Even sadsack loser George scores regularly with incredibly hot women. Mark Corrigan is the most miserable bastard in London.

lol you're right.

has a pretty good job by the end too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

You know the scene in Animal House where Belushi's character is coming down the stairs and sees a folk singer playing the guitar? And he grabs the guitar and smashes it? And then wags his eyebrows? A British comedian would want to play the folk singer.

American comedians always want to be smart, non-stop quip machines. British comedians are always looked down on, and are down trodden losers.

Yea that make sense to me.
It definitely extends beyond comedy though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

thrawn527 posted:

Uh doesn't he get the religious metaphor backwards? He ascribes the distinction to American Protestantism and its focus on success through "works" as opposed to European doctrinal belief and acceptance of "original sin". Wasn't "works" the whole Catholic thing that Evangelicalism rejects, by saying "faith alone" is necessary for salvation? Or is he drawing a different kind of axis of division entirely?

I kept expecting him to list Arthur Dent in his examples, or Bernard Black or Father Ted

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Basically the great British comic characters are all sad losers and great American comic characters are Chad quip machines.

A really great example of this is the American attempt at Red Dwarf. A lot of the jokes about Lister are that he's a bum and kind of a loser while American Lister was too Han Solo-y.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Uh doesn't he get the religious metaphor backwards? He ascribes the distinction to American Protestantism and its focus on success through "works" as opposed to European doctrinal belief and acceptance of "original sin". Wasn't "works" the whole Catholic thing that Evangelicalism rejects, by saying "faith alone" is necessary for salvation? Or is he drawing a different kind of axis of division entirely?

I kept expecting him to list Arthur Dent in his examples, or Bernard Black or Father Ted

I mean American protestantism is such a weird patchwork it could mean anything, but right now anything religious in the States centers, at least politically, in money equals grace.

i think the biggest split is the cultural background of winner take all, you're on your own realization which is America's baseline and entire promise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
American Christianity was always going to be weird. An ocean removed from its roots, far from the kingdoms that controlled it for so long, imported by the worst Europe had to offer. It has no place here and carving one out for it has left a bleeding network of unhealing wounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I prefer murals of Asian Jesus personally.