Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Friggin YouTube videos with no pictures whoopee doo. Might as well stream myself a dang video in a background tab. It hits different knowing there's a guy out there on a radio tower cranking all the levers and knobs to broadcast science waves directly to my ears from a mysterious machine that hasn't even got an operating system to run windows groove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Pluto is basically my mst3k slash rifftrax channel I turn on during work or when I’m cleaning.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

As to what happened in 2018, my guess is FAST. Turns out a chunk of people don't actually care all that much what they watch, they just want to have the burden of choice removed for background noise. Why pay $80 /month to watch Star Trek:TNG reruns on BBCA while you are doom scrolling when you can just turn on PlutoTV for free?

Tiktok happened is certainly part of it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Khanstant posted:

It hits different knowing there's a guy out there on a radio tower cranking all the levers and knobs to broadcast science waves directly to my ears from a mysterious machine that hasn't even got an operating system to run windows groove.

Except well, there isn't. The vast majority of radio stations in this country are automated from a central location with DJs (if they even have them) that are probably over 1000 miles away from you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Pluto is basically my mst3k slash rifftrax channel I turn on during work or when I’m cleaning.

Keep your Joel and Mike fan fiction to yourself.

IRQ posted:

I'm sure it had an effect, but tiktok demos don't overlap all that exactly with those who are paying for linear TV.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

Keep your Joel and Mike fan fiction to yourself.

No! Mine is all the different crows meeting themselves with Frank running point.

mystes
May 31, 2006

IRQ posted:

I wonder how many people who are using tiktok were subscribed to linear tv services recently even if they are old enough to have potentially done that?

I haven't watched linear tv in like 20 years except for a couple times where I did free trials and realized I hate it.

I guess it's different if you watch sports though?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pretty soon sports are going to be bundled into a gambling service, so you won’t need TV for that either.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sports you can watch for free with online streams too, it's not hard.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mystes posted:

I wonder how many people who are using tiktok were subscribed to linear tv services recently even if they are old enough to have potentially done that?

I hear about tiktok trash more from olds lately than anything else. Anecdotal, I guess, but I don't think it's all kids.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix must really be expecting Delicious in Dungeon to hit big as they're simul-dubbing it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

muscles like this! posted:

Netflix must really be expecting Delicious in Dungeon to hit big as they're simul-dubbing it.

If there is an ounce of justice in the world, it will. Delicious in Dungeon is the best fantasy series of the 21st century

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, now I know it sucks. Thanks, Gripweed!!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh lol no I wasn't trying to drat it with faint praise or anything. It's not like Game of Thrones or other fantasy stuff, it's actually really good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think he's saying you have bad opinions

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Delicious in Dungeon is very good, though

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arist posted:

I think he's saying you have bad opinions

That can't be it, I famously have excellent opinions

Arist posted:

Delicious in Dungeon is very good, though

See?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The thing about linear television is that nobody knows how to have a steady revenue anymore in television. The term "drunken sailor spending" has been bandied about, and that was a definite problem that's being over-corrected. We simply have too many options, and you can only slice a pie so thin.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Watched the first episode of the Brother Sun, I like it so far. Needs more Michelle Yeoh, as most things do.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

zoux posted:

I have no idea what the TV landscape is gonna look like in 20 years.

Cyberpunk, innit? 23.5 hours of ads, with brief news bulletins squeezed into the remaining half hour.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like someone’s forgetting about Cyberpunk 2077’s prestige TV drama Watson Whore!!! Because a show about a sex worker is something that could only exist in a dystopian cyberpunk reality, and not, like, two decades ago.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It will be like that Star Trek: Lower Decks episode on Fereginar with the Ferengi show Landlord Cops, which looked like it was about cops who are also landlords and pressure suspects into signing predatory leases.

Also that episode of Upload from this past season where poor rural people can only access bizarre AI-generated content that makes no sense.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
BBCA costs $80 a month? Good lord. How much does Britbox cost over there?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Collateral posted:

BBCA costs $80 a month? Good lord. How much does Britbox cost over there?

The $80 is the cable service you need to buy to get it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a lot of money to watch 18 hours of Star Trek TNG a day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BBCA is another dead channel walking. Not that I have any complaint about hours of Star Trek, but they kinda missed the brief of what their channel was about.

Today's schedule.

6:30am-10:30am Star Trek:TNG
10:30am Galaxy Quest
12:45pm Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
3:15pm Stargate
6pm Starship Troopers
9pm Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
11:30pm Galaxy Quest

So, one feature film that's related to something British? I mean, I don't have any complaints about what specifically they are running other than it could just as easily be IFC or AMC or Sundance.

Sat is all nature docs capped off by "The 5th Element" and "Dredd". Sunday is more nature docs and Hollywood movies. Otherwise, throughout the week, it's Star Trek:TNG, Bones, Law and Order, and a handful of movies. There's zero British scripted content and the only stuff that's BBC produced are the various nature docs. BBCA is just another AMC subchannel now.

But yeah, that's emblamtic of the issue with cable right now. You had all these niche stations, these niche stations were eventually bought up by conglomerates either directly or through acquisition of their parent company. At that point, those stations just become another programming slot for the parent company that may not even have licensing rights (or plan on producing original content) that matches the point of the channel in the first place.

So, what then happens is instead of having a channel driven around a particular interest/genre, they just becoming a dumping ground of syndicated content that the parent has licensing for while original content gets doled out to the marquee station in the lineup (in this case, AMC). We now have like 60 general entertainment channels that just show syndicated shows and movies in 3 hour time slots for 90% of their airtime.

Then enter FAST. While you have this generalization happening with network channels that you have to pay for, FAST goes the opposite direction by giving you hyper specific channels for just a single show (or franchise) for 100% free. So why watch 4 hours of Star Trek TNG on BBCA when you can watch one of 3 different Star Trek 24/7 streams on Pluto TV for free? BBCA not showing "Top Gear" anymore or British mystery shows? No problem, there's a FAST channel for that (there's more British content on Tubi in an hour than BBCA has in a month.) Syfy showing "Transporter 3" instead of some classic scifi? Go stream some Twilight Zone, Stargate, or Farscape on PlutoTV. Hell, have an Asylum movie marathon while you're at it.

Everything has just grown too big. There are too many channels with most of their lineup being reruns. It's a strange state of affairs when we simultaneously have too much conent being produced but also have too many channels for the amount of content we have.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't quite grasp what FAST was until I was looking into the Westworld stuff, I thought it was more like an ad supported tier. But nope you wanna watch two episodes of Westworld you have to be in front of your TV starting from 6:15. And you wanna watch three? gently caress you, see you tomorrow, same bat time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, most of the services have OnDemand libraries too, but the coverage may be incomplete depending on the licensing agreement. You can watch Star Trek: TOS OnDemand on PlutoTV, but it's only Season 1. Star Trek: TNG is only Season 3. I don't view FAST as a suitable way to watch something for the first time, but it's background noise TV which is what the vast majority of linear TV ends up being.

Westworld is one of the few shows moved to FAST that you can still buy (digital and physical), so I would just recommend that if you wanted to actually sit down and watch the series. That, unfortunately, is not an option you have with something like "Raised by Wolves."

After all the shenanigans in the past year, I'm buying physical whenever possible or buying digital when I can't do that. I can still watch all three seasons of "Final Space" from my Amazon account because I bought them when they aired. They usually stop sale on stuff the blackhole for tax reasons, but already purchased stuff is USUALLY safe (but can never be as safe as a physical copy.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

BBC America at least produced a few good shows. Orphan Black and Almost Royal, which really more people should have watched and I feel like would have made a bigger impression if it had come out a few years later. Also that miniseries that was technically Dominic Cooper playing young Ian Fleming but clearly as a parody of young Bond.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Those were all created prior to AMC Networks purchasing a 49.9% stake in the network in 2014.

Oddly enough, those were done under Discovery's ownership of the 49.9%.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Speaking of BBC, how is the BBC Ghosts compared to the American version? I need something new to watch, and the American version doesn't return till next month.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's great, some of the ghosts are a little less relatable but it's still funny and and charming. Definitely worth checking out. I think peacock or Paramount ended up trying to rerelease the first season as Ghosts UK, but don't yet have them all up so you have to go elsewhere for the rest.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminCrew1/status/1742412141846557112

Nowadays you wouldn't even see Mr Ed on a surf board before the season finale

He wouldn't even talk for the first time until the end of the season finale.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

zoux posted:

I didn't quite grasp what FAST was until I was looking into the Westworld stuff, I thought it was more like an ad supported tier. But nope you wanna watch two episodes of Westworld you have to be in front of your TV starting from 6:15. And you wanna watch three? gently caress you, see you tomorrow, same bat time.

yeah FAST is just free cable tv. and like bull3964 said, sometimes very specific free cable tv.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Episode four of Lioness: In a plot twist it turns out that Doctor Dad is the biggest piece of poo poo of them all.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

1glitch0 posted:

He wouldn't even talk for the first time until the end of the season finale.

The theme song just cuts off after "A horse is a horse of course of course and no one can talk to a horse of course"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hello Wilbur *smash cut to black, EP credit for Jonathan Nolan*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

zoux posted:

Hello Wilbur *smash cut to black, EP credit for Jonathan Nolan*

Whaaaaat I've doooooooone
I'll face myself

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013