Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pretty solid episode of The Regime. The show has been solidly “decent” throughout but that was the strongest episode yet, looking forward to see how it wraps up next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tonight on [as] April fools, they are doing a puppet version of Smiling Friends "Mr. Frog*.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Oh, it's still going but now it's different puppets.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Hughmoris posted:

Is there a thread for Korean shows?

I recently watched a Korean workplace comedy called Gaus Electronics which was hilarious, and now I want more.

There's this thread which is mainly for variety shows, but you'll get some answers

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459105

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Finn posted:

There's this thread which is mainly for variety shows, but you'll get some answers

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459105

I'll ask over there, thanks!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is The Rookie now a good TV show or not? I see that it has a fairly high score on IMDB, but whenever you browse for user reviews, you often read that Fillion's character an insufferable know-it-all that never learns his lesson through out all five seasons. Kinda a weird trait for the main character, if true.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good? I dunno but I enjoy it as a procedural. Fillion is a decent character and all the cops are mostly the best version of cops you can get.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is The Rookie now a good TV show or not? I see that it has a fairly high score on IMDB, but whenever you browse for user reviews, you often read that Fillion's character an insufferable know-it-all that never learns his lesson through out all five seasons. Kinda a weird trait for the main character, if true.

I wouldn't call it good but I'd call it better than average. There are some fun characters on there. I've never been a die-hard fan of Fillion, and he isn't the best part of the show. The supporting cast is strong though.

I'd give it 4 or 5 episodes, you'll know if it's for you or not.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I like it. Fillion is alright but not great but also despite being the main character just as much time total (if not more combined) is spent on the other characters each episode, and they're all pretty good. It's copaganda but makes a decent effort to address the dark sides of policing in the USA. Not amazing, but also not just paying lip service. Things like racism in the police, abuse of power, the thin blue line etc. are developed into multi-episode stories or even an overarching plot throughout a season. It's still a very positive portrayal of policing however, exaggerating the everyday danger they put themselves in, but part of that is also just needing to create stories. Obviously a real cop in LA doesn't have to deal with terrorist threats, serial killers, etc on a monthly basis, and it does a good job of showing the more mundane stuff like traffic stops as well in the same manner Reno 911 did with little vignettes.

The interaction between the cops and the criminals is kinda weird: on the one hand the cops are all very nice and understanding (if flawed) who have a good understanding of the underlying issues that result in criminality, so as a result on the other hand the criminals shown (I'm talking about the smaller stuff now, not the big bads) are portrayed fairly realistically and treated fairly as they would be in an ideal world. This makes both portrayals (cops vs. criminals) unrealistic for kinda opposing reasons. Both the cops and their treatment of offenders are portrayed unrealistically.

All in all it's a pretty good watch even if you're aware of its flaws, kinda on the level of Brooklyn 99 but it's less comedy (although still with a comedic approach) and more procedural cop show.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 1, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

My main reason for not watching it is that the previews I've seen make it seem like they're not playing to Fillion's strength, which is his pure charisma. Castle was fun because he was just, well, fun in every scene he was in. The previews I've seen for The Rookie make it seem like he's playing a rookie cop that drat near anyone could play. Is that true? Because if so, I'm really not interested, and it's wasting Fillion's talents he could be using somewhere else.

Maybe he was tired of playing the same kind of roles, and fair enough, it's his choice, obviously. But I'm not obligated to check it out, either. They could also be keeping things out of the previews, though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The show has been on for 6 years. He was a rookie for the first season. Now he trains other rookies. His character is known for having tons of charisma and able to talk to people.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
While his character canonically has charisma from what I've seen of it his writing sucks and it's nowhere near the fun of something like Castle. Just a blank character, and yeah, he's theoretically the lead but it's basically an ensemble show with him getting a third of the time except for special episodes. Also funny that their big gimmick was body cam stuff and they've largely moved away from it as time went on.

The show's not great but it's sanded off some of the rougher edges. The one cop trainer who was just obnoxious and sucked for a long time was written to be more tolerable. But other than that it's just a typical procedural. Not great or even really good, but not aggressively bad or Blue Bloods. There aren't a ton of decent cop procedurals around so if you're looking for one you could do a lot worse even though I'm not a fan.

VV Edit: Beat you by a second :). Yeah, canonically this is his character but I feel like he's just sleepwalking through most of it. No spark or joy, so don't go in expecting him to be his usual self. Or at least that's my take.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, Fillion is very much Fillion still. The gimmick is he's a somewhat older very charismatic and sensible guy (an ideal modern man as viewed today, used to be a contractor so he's good with his hands and tools but also very respectful of women, masculine in all the right ways and not toxic at all :rolleyes:) joining the force, so the first bit is him dealing with police culture, toxic masculinity, etc as an outsider/rookie and now it's him trying to impress his values on the other cops and changing the culture from within, going so far as him campaigning to become a high ranking member of the union or something? I don't really remember because they dropped that pretty quickly after it resolved and I'm not familiar at all with internal US police politics and all that.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

VV Edit: Beat you by a second :). Yeah, canonically this is his character but I feel like he's just sleepwalking through most of it. No spark or joy, so don't go in expecting him to be his usual self. Or at least that's my take.

lol

I kinda agree with you to a point, but I don't feel like he's sleepwalking through it. The show itself just isn't as, idk, silly as something like Castle or Firefly or whatever so it leaves less room for him to be as 'fun' as he is in those shows. I still feel his spark, but it's a bit more subdued and realistic? There's still a lot of joy and the moments he has with the other characters, whether it's his love interest, his superior or a colleague he's training are full of heart. His character cares a lot, which he conveys really, really well, and that's a different focus from his other characters (who also have 'caring about poo poo' as a primary attribute but are more focus on the comedy) and it works for me.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 1, 2024

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
am i the only one who enjoys animal control?

also i started watching fargo: season 5 and i love it

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oh drat, thanks for the reminder, I was planning to check Animal Control out but somehow completely spaced on it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I liked the bit in the Rookie when Fillion asks the genius serial killer 'so why this multi episode arc with you obsessing over me, a beat cop?' and them replying with an almost plausible non-winky answer.

And then the team of scrappy beat cops go on a black ops wetwork mission south of the border what

(also I like the villain guy who was in the short lived Turner and Hooch tv show, good family viewing)

e: also I want his beat cop mansion which apparently is his now?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Fillion can't even go on his honeymoon without it becoming some kind of murder mystery and it's completely ridiculous but also fun lol, and I also like the lampshading when his colleagues have to go there to save his rear end and they make multiple comments about it and having to go back there to be a witness in trials and poo poo.

Thinking about it I like the show more now. It strikes the right balance between being a somewhat serious procedural but also embracing the silliness of procedural shows without going full meta. Reno 911 without going full comedy skits.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Chubby Henparty posted:

I liked the bit in the Rookie when Fillion asks the genius serial killer 'so why this multi episode arc with you obsessing over me, a beat cop?' and them replying with an almost plausible non-winky answer.

And then the team of scrappy beat cops go on a black ops wetwork mission south of the border what

(also I like the villain guy who was in the short lived Turner and Hooch tv show, good family viewing)

e: also I want his beat cop mansion which apparently is his now?

Na, he got some shitheap single story that he fixed up due to being a contractor in a previous life. The friends house that he stayed at for free he hasnt been at for ages. There was a whole episode about him moving out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made it like nine episodes into Animal Control but it wasn’t anywhere near funny enough for me and I was sad at how it was wasting McHale and Vella Lovell

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That 'poo poo heap single story house' he fixed up is still waaay above what he should be able to afford lmao. It's not a mansion but it's up there.

Like there were some electrical and plumbing or whatever for him to fix but that was more of a gesture. It'd be more realistic if his living arrangements were swapped with that colleague of his who's partner is a succesful lawyer from a super wealthy family and they just had a kid and make due with a small apartment.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well there is a program where he could buy a house at like 1/3 market value but he’d have to live in it for like 5 years. Most of the houses are not in very desirable areas though but you can get a house on the cheap.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Na, he got some shitheap single story that he fixed up due to being a contractor in a previous life. The friends house that he stayed at for free he hasnt been at for ages. There was a whole episode about him moving out.

Ah you're right I forgot, with the whole arc about him saving himself thanks to being a contractor in a previous life.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's about as realistic as the LA cops they pretend to portray, it doesn't bother me.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I made it like nine episodes into Animal Control but it wasn’t anywhere near funny enough for me and I was sad at how it was wasting McHale and Vella Lovell

:same: I wanted to like it and just ended up pissed off that they were tying up funny people. Been thinking about giving it another shot to see if they found their groove.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The places people live in in TV shows are never realistic. From Friends to Daredevil (it looked drab, but it was huge) to 2 Broke Girls to Chuck to How I Met Your Mother to New Girl to Elementary (though that made a little more sense because his father was paying for it, I think?), to Girls to Big Bang Theory to Happy Endings to literally any show ever. It's easier to shoot in a large location, so people with bullshit jobs live in palaces.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I also like Seal Team, which ticks every dad box while also taking great pains to point out, in the text, that their behaviours are responsible for them losing their friends, families, careers, limbs, branes, oh well think it's time we went on a six month op to literally hide from all of that, hup hup

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

:same: I wanted to like it and just ended up pissed off that they were tying up funny people. Been thinking about giving it another shot to see if they found their groove.

for me it scratches that community itch and i like all the characters. it's imdb ratings tell me i'm in the minority on that but i do hope it keeps going past this second season.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

The places people live in in TV shows are never realistic. From Friends to Daredevil (it looked drab, but it was huge) to 2 Broke Girls to Chuck to How I Met Your Mother to New Girl to Elementary (though that made a little more sense because his father was paying for it, I think?), to Girls to Big Bang Theory to Happy Endings to literally any show ever. It's easier to shoot in a large location, so people with bullshit jobs live in palaces.

Actually dexters apartment was pretty spot on imo.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

It's a little different in The Rookie because him working on his house/the place he's living is a whole "thing" in the show. With it leading to a sort of funny bit where I believe he has to trash a bunch of his newly finished walls he spent all season working on to find drugs that a bad dude planted on him. So it's a lot more noticeable than "oh, this spacious room must be X square feet, imagine the rent :smug:."

Although it's also a thing in the show that he has decent money. Being a cop was more of a dream/fulfillment thing for him.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My favorite is the Bosch house but at least they mentioned how he got the money for such a place.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy The Rookie as an absolute heaping helping of TV trifle and nothing more, alongside Will Trent.

I still do not buy either Lucy or Aaron as beat cops, though.

And speaking of Will Trent, this season isn't quite as fun as the first one. I do not care one bit about the tribulations of Detective Meathead and his broken home life.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 1, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

It's a little different in The Rookie because him working on his house/the place he's living is a whole "thing" in the show. With it leading to a sort of funny bit where I believe he has to trash a bunch of his newly finished walls he spent all season working on to find drugs that a bad dude planted on him. So it's a lot more noticeable than "oh, this spacious room must be X square feet, imagine the rent :smug:."

Although it's also a thing in the show that he has decent money. Being a cop was more of a dream/fulfillment thing for him.

This sounds kind of cool, and a little familiar. I think Bones did something sort of similar in the mid seasons when they bought a house, but that’s not what I’m thinking of.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I kinda hate how the lawyer character is from a super duper wealthy family but he rejects all that and only does pro bono work out of the goodness of his heart and poo poo but now he's got a kid and they still live in a small lovely apartment in a bad neighbourhood.

Like it's fine for now that your kid is just a baby I guess but also dude, I get that you've got your ideals and poo poo and I get you don't want to live in a mansion but there's a middle ground, you know? Put down some roots with a nice house in a good neighbourhood. Your wife just had a baby and is working hard to become a detective (if I'm not mixing up characters) so maybe use just a fraction of all that wealth you have to make life a bit easier for those closest to you, especially because both you and your partner, as well as those closest to you, have had some serously hosed up traumatic poo poo happen to you in the past couple of years.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Mixing up characters. Lucy is who failed the detective exam and who is with Tim. No kids there. The one you’re thinking is a detective already.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My parents, both in their 70s, recently got access to Hulu because I had to kick them off my Disney+ (account sharing measures). They were on Youtube TV, but decided to go all in on Hulu with LiveTV bundled with Disney to save some money. They started watching "Only Murders in the Building" and love it, but it's hilarious that they have both mentioned separately that "they could do without all the vulgar language." In my mind, "Only Murders..." is probably one of the more wholesome things that I regularly watch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sounds like the rookie would be right up their alley.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They honestly might already watch it to tell you the truth.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Seinfeld had the most realistic home on TV outside of I dunno Roseanne. A one bedroom with a shared living room/dining room/kitchen space.

e: its a nice neighborhood (UWS) but used to be cheaper in the 90s, and the show keeps implying that Seinfeld is doing well moneywise.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

bull3964 posted:

My parents, both in their 70s, recently got access to Hulu because I had to kick them off my Disney+ (account sharing measures). They were on Youtube TV, but decided to go all in on Hulu with LiveTV bundled with Disney to save some money. They started watching "Only Murders in the Building" and love it, but it's hilarious that they have both mentioned separately that "they could do without all the vulgar language." In my mind, "Only Murders..." is probably one of the more wholesome things that I regularly watch.

Some of the F bombs could definitely be removed with no negative impact to the show.

Shame on you, Selena Gomez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally got around to watching Shogun and yeah it’s drat good. Two more episodes.