Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
At this point I hate Ed as much as I do every person on BSG so it is fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Chubby Henparty posted:

Wasn't he the Good One that was going to save Dr Who after Davies?

Turns out that writing a great episode once per season was very different from running a whole show.

Open Source Idiom posted:

He ran a ship of variable quality, but he's definitely only declined since then -- Sherlock, Dracula, Inside Man...

I don't think I have ever seen a bigger decline in writing over a mini-series than what happened with Dracula

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For a second I thought something fun was going to happen on this episode of Monarch, but I was wrong.

It's hilarious that Wyatt Russell's character gets back to the real world, discovers that he has been gone for twenty years, and then decides to sit in a retirement home for forty years straight, with no explanation why

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Alhazred posted:

I honestly hope HBO has a good support system for her. Don't click this spoiler if you haven't played the second game: Like, it's one thing that she's going to kill Joel, but now she's going to kill Joel played by a beloved actor. She will get hate both from fans of the show and from people who's thirsty for Pedro Pascal.

I’m looking forward to that scene so much.

Looten Plunder posted:

https://youtu.be/WoRPIEtbcBM?si=C2S8tyqn0nowGNcX

Whilst I'm excited for this, I swear this is about the third show I've seen advertised in the last 12 months as starring"the world's greatest detective" where I have no idea who the character actually is.

I don’t acknowledge any detective whose last name isn’t “Mars”.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Even back when it was first airing I thought that Seinfeld was just ok, but I have never been big into american comedy tv.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Azhais posted:

Bring back Kings

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Schmigadoon! has been cancelled https://tvline.com/news/schmigadoon-cancelled-season-3-not-returning-apple-tv-plus-1235003518/

I thought season two was disappointing, and didn’t have the humor or catchy songs of the first one, but I still wouldn’t have minded more.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
https://www.thewrap.com/the-knick-season-3-update-andre-holland/

"André Holland Says ‘The Knick’ Season 3 with Barry Jenkins Is Alive: ‘We’re Working Very Hard to Make It Happen’"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I re-watched The Little House on the Prairie some years back, the show is surprisingly dark, kids and babies are just dying left and right. Mr. Edwards is the best.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first season of The Bear is pretty hard to watch unless you really enjoy intense arguments and constant confrontations, it’s good but not pleasant.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Every time someone posts in the Severance thread I expect it will be a notice that she second season has been cancelled, so this is good to see.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Weirdly enough, even though I’m a fan of The Kate’s I didn’t find Deadloch particularly funny, but as a detective show it was good.

Rappaport posted:

Bosch

There's a lot of it, but each season is its own story, and Harry really cares

I really can’t stand him half the time, but funnily enough it’s because he cares so much that he often turns into a bit of a selfish rear end in a top hat.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/7746/philomena-cunk-quest-for-meaning-special/

Philomena Cunk to return in BBC special Cunk's Quest For Meaning

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The first season was good and had a great cast, though you could argue that the supernatural angle took away from the story, I didn’t finish the second season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I will give anything with Noel Fielding in it a shot.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Mr. and Mrs. Smith is such an odd show, is it supposed to be an awkward comedy?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I loved it but it's a hard show to describe if you don't love the leads and what they've done previously already.

That may have been the issue, I was familiar with Donald Glover by name, but have never really seen anything with him in it, and didn’t know Maya Erskine at all.

I finished the show, and I thought it decent overall.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
You can think that one side is far superior to the other while also acknowledging the fact that there is a very real chance that either candidate will die of old age while in office, and that is a problem.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This season of Halo seems like a big improvement so far.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it's fine, but Peter is the only character on the show that I like. I haven't watched much True Detective before this season, so I can't compare it to the others.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Medullah posted:

Hopefully this doesn't mean Pedro and Ebon are sucked into the MCU permanently and can't make more quality content.

I don’t think Marvel does the long contracts anymore, so probably something like a 3 picture deal.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Khanstant posted:

That still sounds like a long contract, I'm sure you're referencing something much worse, but I would still pray this is one and done.

In the early days, the actors signed up for nine movies, and Marvel went away from that. But I don't see the issue, he obviously has no problems starring in popular pop culture stuff, Marvel is no different than Mandalorian and The Last of Us.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I've re-watched Band of Brothers, The Pacific, and Generation Kill, and i'm watching Masters of Air. Am I missing any big WW2/Military shows?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm watching Will Trent because I saw that Clark Gregg was going to guest star in it this season, 10 minutes in and it's pretty bad.

Also watching Allegiance because Enrico Colantoni is one of the stars, it's not good but at least it's watchable.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Based purely on that one episode I get the impression that the series was written for an actor with tons of natural charisma, instead what I saw in the screen was a semi-autistic guy which every other character is constantly praising.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Hakkesshu posted:

Haven't seen a ton of talk about it here, but Monsieur Spade is really good and I feel like it needs more attention. It's an awful name and it's stuck on AMC+ as far as I know, so it's totally understandable why no one is watching it, but it's a good remedy for the loss of Perry Mason. Beautifully shot, Clive Owen rocks, the dialogue is really sharp, and there are a lot of biting conversations with really sleazy French people, what's not to like

That is indeed a bad name and i wasn’t a big fan of Perry Mason, but I will give it a shot because of Clive Owen

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

I still don't quite get why people hated the finale, I thought it was on the same level as the season as a whole, above average. But I have also not really watched any other True Detective.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

kiminewt posted:

I was talking to my friend about the first couple of episodes of ATLA and she brought up the removal of Sokka's sexism (and to a lesser extent some things about Zoku) and said she feels like it stems from society being unable to display "transgressions" anymore and let people grow and change from them cuz cancel culture blah blah blah.

I just assumed that since Avatar is an expensive show to make it’s probably going to have very few episodes compared to the original.
So Sokka being a bit of a moron at first was just one of the easy things to cut for time.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That was a good episode of Halo, it's always nice when a show noticeably improves.

kiminewt posted:

I think people are mostly just angry with live action remakes because they feel like they're saying "here, now it's actually legitimate and not a stupid cartoon for babies"

This is not an issue with Avatar, but there are several cartoons I would like to see being remade for live-action because I can't stand the style of animation, this is partly because I'm an old fan who doesn't like much modern animation.
Ultimately the original cartoon will still be there, and maybe some people can enjoy the live-action version more, or even better they watch the live action and then the cartoon.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Also speaking of trailers, is it just me or is there absolutely no effort to the trailers for the King's new show, Elsbeth. It's airing next week and there's been one trailer based on the pilot, and a Superbowl spot. Maybe Americans have a different vibe, and youse can't spit for fear of drenching a building sized poster of Carrie Preston's face, but it seems like there's no confidence behind the show, which is a shame because The Good Wife but Columbo, starring Preston sounds good. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ2WX99QXXY

I feel like this is a character that works best in small doses, so I’m not sure how she will do with a full show, but I will give it a shot.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's always nice to see actors you like have surprise roles in TV shows you are watching, I just realized that James D'Arcy is in Constellation, and Ken Leung is in Avatar.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

RBA Starblade posted:

It's ok but lmao at how lovely the water power is

The only water bending you see in the first three episodes is from a complete beginner who has no idea of what she is doing, it doesn’t really reflect the ability as a whole.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Some day Hollywood will learn how to write kids who aren't incredibly annoying, but they didn't manage it for Constellation. There is much too much focus on the main character's family, and I don't want to spend 8 hours waiting to see if the story will make sense.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

oh jay posted:

If you don't think the transition from space Lord of the Flies to humanity pleading their case to a celestial god that had previously crysalized a civiliation of 40 foot giants isn't "super weird" or "bugfuck insane", I don't know what to tell you.

Wow, I’m surprised it went from generic CW show #522 to that.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The latest episode of Halo was the best one yet, and it hardly had any fighting.
It's a little wild that a show that was aggressively mediocre bordering on bad, is now good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

cant cook creole bream posted:

I watched the first two episodes of "Dick Turpin" and I enjoyed it. It's very silly and the world has a bit of a Monty Python feel.

I liked it aswell, it doesn't have the weirdness of Mighty Boosh, but Noel Fielding was clearly involved with the writing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm four episodes into Monsieur Spade and Clive Owen is carrying this show on his back, I like it enough to continue but I've lost track of the number of Pierre's the show expects me to keep track of and care about, and the plot isn't super interesting.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For some reason I thought The Talented Mr. Ripley was that movie where death turns into Brad Pitt, so I was completely unfamiliar with the story in the trailer, I might give it a shot purely because of Andrew Scott.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Good news, I really liked how they adapted the original series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Upload renewed for fourth and final season. I thought it was done, good for it.

Hooray, hopefully we will have less real world scenes this time.