Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Reacher lost me with the second season don't even care to finish and already forgot what it was even supposed to be about. he was fun on his own but in a group of Superfriends it just becomes a boring earnest military superhero show.

He's also just not someone to root for anymore and the antics are too bombastic and unbelievable to get away with in these big cities in a way I could roll with in podunk town.

Beating up or killing some street level drug dealers to rob them really was the turning point for putting up with him, that's just beating down and doing the same kind of crimes that play into the system of their being street level dealers as a problem. He did nothing to help the problem and giving the money to a church was also sketchy even if they were making it out to be a good act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I thought he was a bad boy smoking horse in the thumbnail but he is a sad punished guy instead

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bring back radio storytelling broadcasts. Rerun George Burns and Gracie Allen radio show, one last ride before the public domain window creeps up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Friggin YouTube videos with no pictures whoopee doo. Might as well stream myself a dang video in a background tab. It hits different knowing there's a guy out there on a radio tower cranking all the levers and knobs to broadcast science waves directly to my ears from a mysterious machine that hasn't even got an operating system to run windows groove.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's great, some of the ghosts are a little less relatable but it's still funny and and charming. Definitely worth checking out. I think peacock or Paramount ended up trying to rerelease the first season as Ghosts UK, but don't yet have them all up so you have to go elsewhere for the rest.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ay yo river

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I watched GoldenEye recently and I think the N64 version is the better one. Not sure I'm a completely fair judge because most of it felt like watching a weird adaption of the game levels even though it's obviously the other way round, but the movie felt kind of boring when you aren't given something to do for the cutscenes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good point. I did not replay the game to compare and in general I ignore FPS as a genre because they all kinda feel like GoldenEye again but fancier. Having only one control stick alone would be a huge problem if I actually revisited.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The car chase to get The Penguin was one of the dumbest things I’ve seen put on the big screen, especially for a movie that’s praised as high as “The Batman.”

Batman causes how many deaths on the highway doing a high speed chase simply because he thinks The Penguin is the informant, only to find out that he isn’t.

1) The carnage level on the highway should have Batman branded as the villain. It causes more death and destruction than Danny DeVito did in “Batman Returns” when he straight up hijacks Batman’s car. I don’t even get the sense that they were trying to make any sort of statement with it either, it’s just treated as an action sequence.

2) Batman is chasing after him basically on a hunch.

3) They catch him and are like “this princess is in another castle” stuff about him being the informant, but they should still have him on major drug charges, but Batman just kinda leaves (I think, it’s been awhile since I watched it.)

4) This whole drat frantic chase was unnecessary anyways. The Penguin is a known figure with known hangouts and there was no indication that he was going to run and go to ground. Batman didn’t have to chase him. He could have picked him up at any time.

Not denying that the new Batmobile is cool and it should have a scene in the movie, but they could have excised that whole section with ZERO effect on the overall plot of the movie.

The level of unbeleivable pausing they had to do get from the fight shootout to the cars to even start that sequence was already so egregious it took me out of the movie. Then the car chase being an hour long irritating action slog of destructive nonsense made it a natural intermission for bathroom break but was still going on after.

And the batmobile wasn't cool it looked like any 1993 black Toyota Camaro Sedan and the billion of cars that look just like it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
After that recent Only Connect rant I checked it out on YouTube and now it pops up sometimes in the autoplay. I like it as a dinner show, I'm not keeping score for myself but about half I can get or would if I paused for extra time and paid more attention, but most of em I don't feel bad missing at all because I just don't know the names of specific Lego Ninjago characters and probably never will and that's okay.

It's a really wide net they cast of connections to make. It's mostly when it's hyper specific pop culture that it reminds me on some online trivia games that have any old question and make you guess how many red triangular flags there in a certain custom racetrack for Trackmania 2008.

It's pretty dry overall but the pacing is actually fairly snappy. At least if you're trying to make the connections it goes by really quick. I guess compared to other trivia shows it's a lot harder to dip in and out since you have to wait to see if they go to next clues, whereas with Jeopardy you get all the info right at the start.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Granted only watched the trailer on my phone but she looks the exact same as always lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It was oddly boring while being more tense than usual.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That is not a good trailer at all. Best guess is he is doing a dorky-guyritchie style Kingsman that can have its poster on college dorm walls next to Snatch and Boondocks Saints.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They're really bad seasons not really worth watching if youve seen the original run X Files. I don't know your reasons for wanting to watch those ones specifically but I think your best chance is to watch them without knowing the past or having a frame of reference. Then if you're not completely out of by the whole thing from those seasons you have something neat to go back to.

If you wanted to do a full rewatch I'd advise skipping the mythology episodes and just enjoy the standalone episodes. The myth episodes sometimes have character development stuff worth knowing but the plot events itself never go anywhere and don't have interesting payoffs, the show itself seemed to get bored and tired of it at several points.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

aww, they didn't get May Martin back for Taskmaster Champion of Champions 3

Dang, that's a bummer. I assume they are on some other project right now? Who is taking their place, I think everyone from that series was pretty fun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

This video of Americans watching Bottom kinda sums it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd_JNdv8esY

Idk how applicable it is, humour evolves over time and this seems comparable to the same people watching a 40 year old US comedy. It's exceptional when old comedies hold up nearing a half century later. At some point old shows become almost anthropological, you end up learning about an old cultures' attitudes and their preoccupations more than laughing at jokes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Literally aired at the same time as Friends, which is not exactly a show I would say alienates the gently caress out of younger Brits today (and that video clip is almost 10 years old too).

Lol that clip looked like it was the 70s. Friends is a good example because it's another show you wouldn't expect anyone to find funny anymore, if ever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I get that same feeling when Ive seen Friends.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Scrubs is not fresh enough to hold up. I also don't think people could even easily legally watch the original versions with the actual music anymore. Not that it's the reason it doesn't hold up, but it certainly doesn't help.

The Office is almost 20 years old. Parts of its episodes about offensive stuff in the office have gotten more offensive over time but because they aren't oblivious to it's incorrectness, the joke supposed to be that this buffoon is still carrying outdated bigotry, it holds up longer. Other parts start to lose something in the time translation to newer folks, I think or hope.

Like Michael is told by Oscar he is gay in his interview, he laughs and says Oscar is the funniest guy he knows and hires him, not believing he is gay but that it is a racuous joke, invoking a certain era juvenile humor where homosexuality itself was a whole atom of humor. I get the impression that young folks today grow up with a far more robust and nuanced understanding of human sexuality and gender, and while still subjected to horrible bigotry, probably don't have the same school days touchstone of immature idiots for whom gayness was inherently a source of giggling.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

What do we call a phenomenon like the Simpsons where the first 8 (or so) seasons are still great to this day but the rest is weirdly out of date?

Probably just have to name it after the Simpsons because so few other shows carry on that long. Like what other company does it really have that's not like, news or something. Soap Operas?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I genuinely hope it never dies, I want Simpsons to drag itself along history and be one of the things to outlive the USA. I want future cultures to look back once it finally ends to think of it like they were our Greek mythos.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No Country For Old Homers

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Raspberry Bang posted:

I say give it to Ziwe.

She really is the only person I've seen being direct with people in a cutting way that reminded me of why I used to like Daily Show and stuff. You can find plenty of cutting commentary online these days but traditional media is still pretty toothless.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Everything about that show screamed Boomer Bait and I don't know how goons got themselves into it. Is it because man comically big?

On the other hand I just watched episode 1 of Hazbin Hotel because Amazon Prime suggested it and there's a TV-IV thread, and it made me scream "What the gently caress did I just watch?" in my head, so maybe I'm the old-rear end?

The second season is just boomer bait avengers but the first season was really fun and perfectly walked the very thin line between it just being what you expect, and what is as with a hilariously competent hulk Sherlock Holmes rolling through a town and steamrolling a bunch of hateable jerks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gunfights are really boring without something exceptional about it. As episode filling action scenes they're just boring you just deal with loud noises and lousy shots of effects popping off until you find out who got shot or not. And what's the point of have a hulk if you're just gonna have it shoot a gun so much, anyone can pull a trigger.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The show when I've seen it seemed to pretty much a stream of YouTube videos and they'd pause between them to make comments. Even when it's just the most obvious joke or literally the top 10 comments doing the same variation of that joke, they don't have improv comedians around all the time so someone's gotta write it all down for the cast. And considering how much of it they put on constantly, these writers likely write the majority of what mtv airs in a year.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Help! I'm in a cable channel ocean of ridiculousness and catfish

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Never thought Tim Robinson would be the one to lure me back to True Detective but I gotta know about these nude tattoos

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DaveKap posted:

I've never seen this show and your description makes it sound like Twitch streams where the streamer just reacts to stuff but it's on TV.

Which is really popular so go figure it's the majority of MTV's schedule.

Yeah that's a great comparison. Though Twitch versions often end up just being the person gawping at the video without anything to say or not being in the room, so props to MtV quality control I guess.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Is there some reason why some people are so invested in redoing what was already near-perfect, just "make it not a cartoon"?

People like adapting stories, always have always will.

On the bright side, live action doesn't inherently mean not cartoon. One Piece managed to be plenty cartoon with live action.

I would prefer more Roger rabbit cool world 2d-3d crossovers. Not sure Avatar is the IP for that though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My go-to dark Little House moment is when Laura feels guilty about being pre-jealous of unborn son that doesn't make it to term. I think she wished she wouldn't have a little brother or something, fearing Pay would put his attention towards his son doing father-son things over Laura.

So she decided to go into the mountains to offer herself as a sacrifice to God to bring baby bro back.

Fortunately God shows up as an old mountain man and chills with her and talks her down a bit, she doesn't die from exposure or getting eaten by a bear. Pa eventually finds her, but God runs away because he's shy and Pan didnt get to meet him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The worst one is where Pa gets turned into some kind of human walrus.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Road House and Die Hard are two movies I'll never ever see but feel like I already have seen way too much somehow.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really did almost watch Die Hard this Christmas break but I figured I'd rather save that for watching it with someone who already loved the thing or some kind of Alamo event, rather than on in the background alone when I'd be only half paying attention.

I did see Die Hard 4 in theatres, and presumably by Goofus' law of sequels it's four times better than the original.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Reacher was a good one season TV show. They made other seasons that fit in great with the movies quality level of "don't watch."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

How many seasons of Reacher do you think there have been

There will have been three when that statement completes testing and comes online.

Season 1 was already walking a miraculously thin line and it hopped right off to wallow in the mud in season 2. Bare minimum for season 3 would be cutting the Superfriends entirely and pretending it never happened. But some of the super friends are returning.

Reacher franchise aside from the one fluke season is back to an old On Cinema joke.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Of the Jacks I think Skellington is still the most powerful.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I promise you I don't actually remember any Jack Ryans and would never watch them. I've done my part.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tia & Tamera, when the walls fell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I watched the first two episodes of In the Know, the new partly stop-motion, partly live-action NPR talk show parody on Peacock, and thought it was pretty good so far. Zach Woods is great in the segments where he interviews real-life people as his NPR persona. For context, I did have a mother who would play NPR constantly and as an eight year old I got super excited to listen to Prairie Home Companion during car rides, so that maybe makes me a bit predisposed to be its target audience, but I think even if you've never heard a single episode of Car Talk or Wait Wait, you would still find it funny.

Thanks for this rec, checking it out. Garbage rear end peacock site doesn't feature it at all, had to go type it in to find it.