Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

If I like True Detective, will I like Mare of Easttown? Very impressed with the proper Philly accents and the script/direction where multiple characters go out of their way to say “wah-dur” and show it off.

Kind of ambivalent over whether I should watch more after seeing the pilot. Is it an investigation-centric drama with some character comedy or a comedy drama that happens to have a murder in it? Got a genuine laugh out of me with multiple people mentioning the article about Mare in the local paper and the later reveal that it’s about her winning a basketball game in high school, plus a second when she thinks Guy Pierce is asking permission to call her Ladyhawk—just great shorthand for what kind of a place that town is and why she would hate it.

Got whiplash from the gravity of every scene with the murdered woman compared to the quirky small-town police stuff. That baby is hosed unless the friend and her mom adopt him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaKZi6p6sxg

This video is a 100% accurate representation of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I finished Reservation Dogs, and it was a lot different than I expected, but not in a bad way. I thought the show was going to be about juvenile delinquents in a Native American reservation, but they pretty much stop doing crime a couple of episodes into season one, and then it turns into slice-of-life Native American magical realism. This is honestly way more my thing, so I wish someone had told me. If I had known this would be the kind of show where [spoiler]The Deer Lady fights the catfish-loving Bohemian Grove in the woods[spoiler], I would have started watching a lot earlier. The vibe reminds me of Lodge 49, although I can't put a finger on it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally got started on season 2 of Halt and Catch Fire, and I like it so far, but the whole thing with Joe not getting paid for his Cardiff shares doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't it ultimately the buyer's responsibility that the shareholders get paid for the shares that they are buying? Why is the former CEO even involved in this process? It's literally none of his business anymore! If Joe hasn't gotten paid for his shares, then the buyer's owe him money, and he should talk to them directly. This should be a slam-dunk case, but he just gives up, and it isn't even mentioned in episode 2. Am I missing something here?

Anyway, I will keep watching. I took a break after season 1, and when I wanted to start again, the show had disappeared from all streaming services over here and only recently came back. The streaming era can be annoying at times.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tokyo Vice season 2:
MAKE YOUR OWN COPY OF THE drat TAPE! What a doofus.

Other than that, off to a great start! I can't believe I had to find out this was back by stumbling over it on HBO. Do better, people.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Season 2 of Tokyo Vice is way better than season 1 so far. I loved the moment at the end of the latest episode where Adelstein belatedly realizes what he is asking Sato and makes his peace with it. That's some good acting.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4axErs9vY0I

Tne unaired pilot for Zero Effect with Alan Cumming as Daryl Zero leaked on Youtube. I've been looking for that for ages. A bit uneven, but I would have watched the first season at least.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

Constellation is good, it's no Severance, but it isn't bad. Much better than Invasion.

Yeah, Constellation is fantastic, though I can understand why it's not for everyone. It's getting a lot of buzz in the Apple TV thread if people are curious. I recommend giving it a shot if you're into weird sci-fi stuff.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Watching Shogun, and I love how the Japanese characters speak actual Japanese, but Portuguese is represented by characters speaking modern English and being like "Whazzup, mate, you speak Portuguese too? Awesome!"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finished Halt and Catch Fire, and the final season was just sublime. I must confess that I didn't quite get the hype through the first three seasons, but they pulled everything together in the end. Some of the most moving TV I've ever watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEXlTtvNWE0

Also, the music cue in this scene is incredible. Why isn't this a meme?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I started watching Fortitude after seeing it recommended in connection with True Detective season four, and so far, this really is TD S4 but good. The pacing is way quicker than I expected, too. Three episodes in we already have Gruff Local Detective, Slick Big-City Expert, Big Black Sex Cop, and Sofie Gråbøll investigating multiple homicides and missing person cases while butting heads over jurisdiction in this sleepy arctic town where nothing is supposed to happen. I'm not sure how they're going to drag this out to three seasons, though; at this rate, they'll have depopulated the town at the end of season one.

My main issue is that they didn't have Sofie Gråbøl wear her iconic sweater from 'Forbrydelsen' (The Killing). Given the setting, that seemed like a no-brainer. I see that this was a big issue for the Danish reviewers as well, so it's not just me.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

I am not sure if they are willfully taking his words in the wrong context or misunderstood them in the first place (possibly because of the emotions involved).

He said that he denounces others putting words in his Jewish mouth and using his Jewishness as a political tool in a violent conflict, not that he denounces being a Jew like everyone going after him is paraphrasing him as saying.

This particular letter is all about his use of the term "occupation", even though the UN uses that term as well. It is even more bizarre than the previous attacks.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/jonathan-glazer-oscar-speech-zone-of-interest-open-letter-1235944880/ posted:

The use of words like “occupation” to describe an indigenous Jewish people defending a homeland that dates back thousands of years, and has been recognized as a state by the United Nations, distorts history.

It gives credence to the modern blood libel that fuels a growing anti-Jewish hatred around the world, in the United States, and in Hollywood. The current climate of growing antisemitism only underscores the need for the Jewish State of Israel, a place which will always take us in, as no state did during the Holocaust depicted in Mr. Glazer’s film.”

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Neverending Story’ Getting New Film Series Adaptation From ‘Slow Horses’ Banner See-Saw

Slow Horses, you say?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/leepace/status/1772237827926843405

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Perfect ending for Tokyo Vice season 2. Wrapped up pretty much everything while leaving hooks for potential future seasons. More people should talk about this show!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Like I mentioned in the Apple TV thread, the Daily Beast review of Sugar spoils the twist at the end. Do NOT read unless you're like me and can't wait to know.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

It’s just bizarre that there are were literally 20 different posts by 20 people in my Threads feed over the past day or so begging Amazon to do a weekly release on the show next time. It struck me as super odd and wasn’t really something I’ve seen lately with any other show.

If I were to guess, it’s engagement farmers who don’t like the fact that they don’t have something spread out over 8 weeks to mine articles about rather than a drop all at once. Sites like GiantFreakinRobot with clickbait articles over one dumb detail about something. Drops of full seasons hurt their engagement for the same reasons you are talking about, the show drops from public chatter faster.

I’m all for actual real discourse on this matter, but these posts aren’t anything like that. It’s literally just someone saying that binges are bad and please don’t do them anymore while not actually engaging in conversation about it.

https://www.ign.com/articles/fallout-is-pretty-great-it-wouldve-been-better-weekly

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/scott-pilgrim-takes-off-streaming-weekly-binge/

There have been a couple of big pro-weekly articles lately, so people are simply reacting to those and feeling energized to post their own opinions. It's not astro-turfing; discourse can often be self-perpetuating like that.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think shows should be released like Twitch streams with live chat functionality. I miss live posting.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

I think shows should be released like Twitch streams with live chat functionality. I miss live posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiheRTcwkc4

See, this is what I'm talking about. Live reactions make it so much better. You can even re-release old shows this way. See also the Bob Ross marathon a few years ago that made him a phenomenon all over again.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is not what I expected from the Halt and Catch Fire sequel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SNdRF9UIv8

That's a very neat three-minute short film. Nice of them to give it away for free.

Seriously, all I need now is to look up the ending on Wikipedia, and there is no reason to watch the movie.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I honestly wish The Good Place had only been one season, and I say that even though I enjoyed the show. It was just such a nice twist and climax.

But I was also a GIANT fan of Prison Break and not only did I not watch the following seasons, I refuse to recognize their existence. That was a huge 1 season show.

Now I'm trying to think of others that fit that mold. Dexter maybe?

Better Call Saul was great all the way through, but the first season was such a perfectly self-contained backstory for Saul Goodman that it almost makes me wish they had stopped there. Rolling back part of his character development at the start of season 2 felt jarring. It's weird when a show is good all the way, but the first season feels like it would have been better as a standalone.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I watched the first episode of Shardlake on Disney+*, and it's pretty great so far. A nameoftherosian monastery murder mystery with Sean Bean as Thomas Cromwell and Arthur Hughes as the crippled detective Shardlake who can make amazing deductions from a single glance at a murder victim. Surprised to see no discussion of it anywhere. I especially like how the true purpose of the murder investigation is to find dirt on the monastery to shut them down so Sean Bean can take their stuff. If the murderer isn't one of the monks, they must be proven to be papists or sodomites or whatever. Anything will do.

I think I'll check out the novels. I had never heard of this series before.

* I guess it's on Hulu in the US?

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Michelle Yeoh To Star In ‘Blade Runner 2099’ Sequel Series For Prime Video