Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

She was loving great in No One Will Save You. Personally though I wouldn't wish that role on anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Okay, I feel kind of dumb for not realizing until episode 10 that John Goodman's character from Kong: Skull Island was Bill Randa. To be fair I haven't seen that movie since release.

To be fair the guy they cast looks far too young to age into John Goodman in a couple of decades time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I had forgotten about all of this until a few hours ago when another friend told me to watch this old British sitcom called The IT Crowd. After two seasons, I'm a bit perplexed by what is meant by "British humor." The IT Crowd, apart from accents and some words, feels very much like a sitcom out of the god ol' USofA.

What is distinctive about British humor that might be unappealing to someone?

They just mean that it's transphobic.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Actually, yes, I caught that episode on Comedy Central back in December, and the end of the episode is what convinced me to finally go back and watch the show from the beginning. It was the first time I realized, "Oh, everyone else is right about this show."

What episode is that if I wanted to give it a go myself?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I have a deep dive The O.C. question for everyone...

I'm currently reading Welcome to The O.C by Alan Sepinwall, as a very formulative show for me so I'm intrigued by a decent retrospective of it. The book is great, except...

It's covering the end of Season Two, when Trey is shot dead by Marissa, and it's talking about the use of Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek in the scene. The book, and everyone in it, is talking about this scene like it was the perfect match of song and story, which the show HAD managed many times before, and how it's beloved.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, I remember the general opinion being that it was a loving stupid choice? I remember people thinking that the sudden blast of music into the scene was really comic and jarring, and I remember it being lampooned a lot and generally playing into the narrative that Season Two was rubbish.

Am I wrong? Do people actually like/did they actually like this song/scene combination at the time?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

EricBauman posted:

Are you listening to the Melinda Clarke and Rachel Bilson rewatch podcast as you watch it?
They have pretty much of the entire cast on at some point and some decent other guests (but obviously couldn't get Chris Pratt or Olivia Wilde or the guy who ended up murdering his family)

I am not. I'm just reading the book right now, but I'm planning to rewatch it after I've finished Cyberpunk 2077. So I'm probably pair it with the podcast then.

Have they finished the show, or?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Also because it lets Pedro Pascal not come to set.

Haha. Yeah, the first two seasons seemed to be building to both Mando and Grogu realizing that they had to forge their own path and that their religious doctrine wasn't worth following to the extreme. Grogu completed this arc because CGI Luke was too expensive, and Mando regressed on this arc before Pedro Pascal is too expensive.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Do we think the monster at 1:23 is meant to be Hei Bai because if so it loving sucks.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Oh, of that I have no doubt, especially if they can convince one or both of Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint to return, presumably with a dump truck full of cash. (Based on that reunion special from a few years back, and a lot of public comments over the past decade, Emma Watson seems to want to have absolutely nothing to do with JKR or the Harry Potter franchise again because of all the hell she went through and I certainly cannot say I blame her.)

Good. They can recast her as a black woman like she was always meant to be. :byodood:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s kinda weird because Chang and the Dean both became insane parodies of themselves at more or less the exact same time and frequency, but Chang became super annoying and grating and the Dean somehow didn’t.

Jim Rash is just a better actor, so even within the parody version of the Dean he can find dimensions to play and keep the performance varied. Chang just ended up being really one note.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

There's way more chance of Watson coming back than Radcliffe, as she's basically said that Rowling is entitled to her opinions and pilling on her is wrong.

However I doubt any of the core three give a poo poo about coming back.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I do think that anyone who was involved in the Fantastic Beast films has Rowling's TERF stink all over them, doubly so for Eddie Redmayne.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Is there any ginger male actor that has had success taking up lead roles? I mean consistantly not just as a one-off and not just playing an outcast/weirdo.

Eric Stoltz, Michael Fassbender and Michael C Hall (if we are counting TV) I guess?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Katherine Waterson got written out of the last one for being anti-TERF.

Which means anyone who stayed behind stinks even more.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I think HBO is hoping the new Harry Potter show is successful enough that they don't need any of the original core three to keep the franchise moving. I don't know if that's possible, because the movies are loved, remaking them as a show with kids who are going to age faster than you're likely going to able to make a show seems like a big gamble, but it's the only move they've got for Harry Potter now.

Besides just sitting on it, but lol c'mon now.

Given how modern TV Shows seem to make a season every year I don't see how it's possible for the kids not to age out of the roles really fast. Also there's no way they will be able to cast as strongly for the adult characters this time around. What's odd about the entire endeavor is that the iconography of the franchise is so strongly embedded in merchandise and the brand identity at this point that Hogwarts will basically look the same, and all the creatures and magical items will look the same as the films.

mystes posted:

Is the harry potter show just going to be an adaptation of the books again? that kind of seems like a dumb idea

At least Hermione will be black this time and Dumbledore will be played by a gay actor.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

swickles posted:

Its supposed to be that plus some of the other lore Rowling has written after the fact, like making Dumbledore more gay, establishing some parental relationships, and removing any references to Transfigurations class.

I'm sure in the TV canon Moaning Myrtle will be killed by Tom Riddle himself instead of the Basilisk and he'll be using pollyjuice potion to pass as a girl and get into the girls bathroom.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

This is another problem. I don't see how you can possibly approach as good of casting as Alan Rickman, Richard Harris/Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith, Gary Oldman, Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson, etc. And I could go on. That's a murderer's row of a cast, and anyone you get for the TV show is going to be compared to them.

Have they said Hermione is going to be black in the show, or are you just assuming? I thought her skin color was never mentioned in the books, so it didn't matter either way when she was black in Cursed Child (which I never saw or read, but the descriptions of it sound wild).

Hermione is 100% white in the books. She is described as white, and lets be honest, is written as white.

However Rowling has said in recent years that she was always intended to be black, so the TV show will certainly follow that path.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I wish Mr and Mrs Smith were more adventurous with it's direction. So much shot reverse shot. Let's see our leads in the same frame!

My understanding is that for a lot of the show that actually weren't in the same room. Scheduling meant that for some pick ups and reshoots they shot separately, so maybe that's why?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Stegosnaurlax posted:

That is crazy to me for a tv show.

What I'd love to know is more about the behind the scenes of the Waller-Bridges version.

She left because of creative differences, but the show we have is pretty great. Honestly, after watching where Killing Eve went I feel like her version of the show would be a downgrade.

I also can't believe that she signed on with Amazon, with a massive payday, and hasn't produced a single thing for them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

She was only involved in the first season. Different production crew every year on that one, which can't have helped (though I think there was more crossover in the final two seasons).

I thought she was an executive producer for the full thing and oversaw who was put in charge each season? It was her idea to have each season be a new team as a way to get more female voices into the industry, which is admirable as gently caress, but the results speak for themselves.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

I mean, I like Donald Glover, but have to admit it'd be a much better show.

What would probably make it a better show is if you watched it in reverse order.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah that animation is fantastic.

My first thought in watching the trailer was "I like Noel Fielding but he's no Bruce Campbell..."

Also there's persistent rumors that he's a sex pest of the Russel Brand variety so...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Is there a solid recap of Season 1 anywhere? I bounced HARD off ep 1 of the first season. Really felt kinda cringey. But I'm interested in a retooled version. (I just dont' want to have to force myself to watch season 1)

Honestly, it's still 90% poo poo, so don't bother.

It's just that the 5% which was good before is now making up 10% of the whole.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I managed to find some redeeming stuff in Invasion S2, namely (bizarrely) some of the kid actor performances, particularly the snide rich boy. It's actually genuinely fun to watch him work.

Shame about the rest of it really, it's basically Stranger Things but way more plodding

Are the aliens in Invasion actually interesting or are they the new standard of cheap CGI aliens pretending to be deep? i.e. swirling, amorphous blobs?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CeeJee posted:

It's not quite working for me. Everything is well made and acted but the Seagal movie action scenes (in scale, not execution which is excellent) don't vibe with the rest of the show. The Smiths just shot two dozen people on a mission in public and are back in their wonderful house the next scene with zero consequences apart from what Hihi thinks of how they did the mission. Things they talk about indicate they live in our world but events that happens are in John Wick land, movies that know exactly what they are.

The absolute lack of caution or followup on their part for incredibly public displays of violence and incredibly public fuckups is a little jarring. Their chemistry really carries it though, and from episode two onwards I made peace with the fact that this isn't the type of show to examine why no one linked them to the disappearance of a billionaire despite them being very publicly seen and filmed with him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

I liked BCS for the lawyer drama. I did not care at all for the gang stuff. (Except for Tony Dalton, he was great!)
It was roughly 70/30 in that show and went even by the end.
Breaking Bad was 90% stuff I did not care for.

Yeah. The 70% of the show that is Jimmy and his hijinks is amazing. Probably the best show I've ever seen. The 30% of it that's Mike and badly defined criminal characters is awful and a show I have no interest in watching again.

I liked all of Breaking Bad.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Monsieur Spade has been very entertaining throughout. (The third episode was the top one I think.) It's a bit sad that it's a limited series but they did wrap it up.

On, and the finale starts with one of the best made sex scenes I've ever seen on screen.

Has the Mandy Patinkin version of Knives Out started yet too?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

swickles posted:

I agree that's a bad example, but drat if the original tweet isn't right. Halo looks like they are finally doing Halo stuff halfway through the 2nd season. We saw a glimpse of the actual Halo ring in the last few seconds on the final episode of the 1st season.

There's no way they get to Halo before the final seconds of Season Two, especially seeing as leaked episode titles make it seems like we are making a detour to loving Onyx of all places.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Why doesn't Master Chief, the largest Spartan, not simply eat the other Spartans?

That's Season Six when they reveal the Flood and he has a scary dream about becoming one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

I thought season 1 (8 hours) covers seasons 1 and 2 (20 hours)?

If it's just season 1 I think they're the same duration then (~8 hours). If that's the case then they'd have been better off with a shot for shot. Like you already have the dialog written and the show plotted, there's no reason to do these huge structural changes if they're the same runtime.

It's just adapting Book One.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

NATLA thoughts as of episode 5

Iroh bad :(

Oh nooo! When this was announced I thought it was sure to work.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

X-O posted:

In the live action show Sokka is much more 'You need to do what I say because I'm in charge' instead of 'You need to dowhat I say because girls are weak and have no place doing boy things' like in the original. And honestly Sokka is pretty unlikable at the beginning of the cartoon. So I think the toning down of that has more to do with maybe not making the audience completely hate a main character right off the bat than not wanting to show sexism at all. Especially since in the live action show they kept the sexism angle completely intact in regards to the Northern Water Tribe.

Sokka's sexism is such a nothing arc in the cartoon. It last until the end of the third episode and it's never mentioned again. He even falls in love with the girl who helped him overcome it.

It makes perfect sense they dropped it and I can't fathom anyone giving a poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

If I wanted to watch Columbo I'd do it the way God intended... by watching Poker Face :colbert:

Poker Face at its best doesn't come close to Columbo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Never having watched any iteration of this, does the photo mean that this is going to be Even Younger Sheldon or is the couple Dad Sheldon and Sheldon Jr.?

It's literally another prequel about his mum and dad being even younger than they were at the start of Young Sheldon, though inexplicable somehow MUCH younger than they should be.

This is the same mum and dad who are destined to have a horrible divorce that scars Sheldon for years to come.

EDIT: It's apparently about his older brother actually, my bad.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 7, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Gonna be waiting. First stalled from the strike, now stalled again over budget.

Aren't they basically replacing all the behind the scenes crew and refocusing production on being much cheaper?

Last I heard the writers and showrunner had all been let go.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Just finished the finale of The Blacklist, and ... yeah you know, clichés and all aside, that was a drat good ending.

Dembe's hospital bed speech, being set against a combo of Knockin' on Heaven's Door and "rage against the dying of the light", was both cheesy and extremely good. Pretty much the show in a nutshell.

Just have him literally stop to smell the roses, do the blood on the hanky thing, fine, don't care :cry:

So... was he actually her mum?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DaveKap posted:

I feel like his style is so succinctly blatant that it doesn't make sense we don't have a replacement to supplant his work. Without being enough of a tv/movie nerd to watch more than the decent things decent people suggest, the only person I can think of trying to hit some similar notes is Rian Johnson. He doesn't have quite the same experimental edge to him, though.

Ryan Johnson doesn't have a film as good as Lock, Stock in him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

And grateful for the Palm Royale reviews that have stopped me from wasting my time on something I was hoping would be decent. Looking forward to checking out 3 Body Problem tomorrow tho

Bad news...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

loving amazing: Anna Camp is playing evil twins in the final season of YOU.

Perfect. No notes.

Maybe one of the twins will be able to act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

If it does happen they'll set it in college or post high school with the most in-demand actors being geographically dispersed (one in NY, one in LA, maybe one doing and MFA in Iowa, or something similar) so they can silo them off to reduce scheduling conflicts. But between most of the mains being in high demand, the unprecedented hiatus for a YA show, the showrunner coming of a major dud, and HBOs new owners being shitcan happy, my prediction is cancellation.

Didn't one of the leads also kill themselves recently meaning they are loosing a popular character AND the showrunner has had some rumblings of being abusive?