Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Dunno if there's a recommend me a TV show thread and I couldn't find it so I'm just going to ask here, or you can point me to the right thread:

I've been watching Scavengers Reign and now I'm in the middle of season two of Pantheon and I'm craving more adult animation of that type. Invincible I'm up to date with. Preferably English, not anime (maybe unless it's really good and a good dub, I'm not feeling the animation style right now), so that it's okay if I get distracted for a bit but can still listen to it without missing too much, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oh yeah, saw Arcane and it's amazing. The animation is gorgeous. I'm reminded of Nimona now (kids movie on Netflix) which is also great so if you haven't seen it, give it a shot! Despite being aimed at kids/teens it's delightful but also very touching and really well animated.

I think I gave Undone a shot a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it, but maybe now I'm in a headspace where I'll enjoy it so I'll give it another shot.

Hell, let me expand the question: I'm digging that slow burning, ruminating on the nature of reality and humanity and all that vibe right now so any shows like that, doesn't have to be animated, would be cool.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 22, 2024

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They're friends with the woman who has the nanofiber company, and all are part of a group of scientist friends, one of which was the scientist that committed suicide at the start by jumping into that detector.
Cancer boy isn't as accomplished as the rest, but still a super smart dude. The black guy is a genius scientist who just fucks around and does drugs a lot, apparently.

They'll be more important in an episode or two.

One thing I do really like about 3BP is it's portrayal of intimate platonic male friendships. They really loving care about each other and it shows.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I like it. Fillion is alright but not great but also despite being the main character just as much time total (if not more combined) is spent on the other characters each episode, and they're all pretty good. It's copaganda but makes a decent effort to address the dark sides of policing in the USA. Not amazing, but also not just paying lip service. Things like racism in the police, abuse of power, the thin blue line etc. are developed into multi-episode stories or even an overarching plot throughout a season. It's still a very positive portrayal of policing however, exaggerating the everyday danger they put themselves in, but part of that is also just needing to create stories. Obviously a real cop in LA doesn't have to deal with terrorist threats, serial killers, etc on a monthly basis, and it does a good job of showing the more mundane stuff like traffic stops as well in the same manner Reno 911 did with little vignettes.

The interaction between the cops and the criminals is kinda weird: on the one hand the cops are all very nice and understanding (if flawed) who have a good understanding of the underlying issues that result in criminality, so as a result on the other hand the criminals shown (I'm talking about the smaller stuff now, not the big bads) are portrayed fairly realistically and treated fairly as they would be in an ideal world. This makes both portrayals (cops vs. criminals) unrealistic for kinda opposing reasons. Both the cops and their treatment of offenders are portrayed unrealistically.

All in all it's a pretty good watch even if you're aware of its flaws, kinda on the level of Brooklyn 99 but it's less comedy (although still with a comedic approach) and more procedural cop show.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 1, 2024

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, Fillion is very much Fillion still. The gimmick is he's a somewhat older very charismatic and sensible guy (an ideal modern man as viewed today, used to be a contractor so he's good with his hands and tools but also very respectful of women, masculine in all the right ways and not toxic at all :rolleyes:) joining the force, so the first bit is him dealing with police culture, toxic masculinity, etc as an outsider/rookie and now it's him trying to impress his values on the other cops and changing the culture from within, going so far as him campaigning to become a high ranking member of the union or something? I don't really remember because they dropped that pretty quickly after it resolved and I'm not familiar at all with internal US police politics and all that.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

VV Edit: Beat you by a second :). Yeah, canonically this is his character but I feel like he's just sleepwalking through most of it. No spark or joy, so don't go in expecting him to be his usual self. Or at least that's my take.

lol

I kinda agree with you to a point, but I don't feel like he's sleepwalking through it. The show itself just isn't as, idk, silly as something like Castle or Firefly or whatever so it leaves less room for him to be as 'fun' as he is in those shows. I still feel his spark, but it's a bit more subdued and realistic? There's still a lot of joy and the moments he has with the other characters, whether it's his love interest, his superior or a colleague he's training are full of heart. His character cares a lot, which he conveys really, really well, and that's a different focus from his other characters (who also have 'caring about poo poo' as a primary attribute but are more focus on the comedy) and it works for me.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 1, 2024

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oh drat, thanks for the reminder, I was planning to check Animal Control out but somehow completely spaced on it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Fillion can't even go on his honeymoon without it becoming some kind of murder mystery and it's completely ridiculous but also fun lol, and I also like the lampshading when his colleagues have to go there to save his rear end and they make multiple comments about it and having to go back there to be a witness in trials and poo poo.

Thinking about it I like the show more now. It strikes the right balance between being a somewhat serious procedural but also embracing the silliness of procedural shows without going full meta. Reno 911 without going full comedy skits.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That 'poo poo heap single story house' he fixed up is still waaay above what he should be able to afford lmao. It's not a mansion but it's up there.

Like there were some electrical and plumbing or whatever for him to fix but that was more of a gesture. It'd be more realistic if his living arrangements were swapped with that colleague of his who's partner is a succesful lawyer from a super wealthy family and they just had a kid and make due with a small apartment.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I kinda hate how the lawyer character is from a super duper wealthy family but he rejects all that and only does pro bono work out of the goodness of his heart and poo poo but now he's got a kid and they still live in a small lovely apartment in a bad neighbourhood.

Like it's fine for now that your kid is just a baby I guess but also dude, I get that you've got your ideals and poo poo and I get you don't want to live in a mansion but there's a middle ground, you know? Put down some roots with a nice house in a good neighbourhood. Your wife just had a baby and is working hard to become a detective (if I'm not mixing up characters) so maybe use just a fraction of all that wealth you have to make life a bit easier for those closest to you, especially because both you and your partner, as well as those closest to you, have had some serously hosed up traumatic poo poo happen to you in the past couple of years.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I really enjoyed the first episode of Fallout. They really nailed the vibe of the games, it looks great so far and I'm really happy it turned out the way I hoped it would.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Finished Fallout and I'm very satisfied with how it turned out. It really exceeded my expectations. It's still super fresh but there aren't any huge issues that stand out for me righr now except maybe the waterchip story that was just dropped? I'm hoping that'll be picked up in the next season and wasn't just a throwaway reference.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's been years since I've seen it but from what I remember that's basically what it is for at least the first couple of seasons, and to a somewhat lesser extent throughout. Michael will always be an idiot, but he does become less, idk, aggravating? Kinda like the Homer Simpson development but in reverse, where he starts out as an rear end in a top hat idiot but turns into a more goofy, less mean spirited idiot. The show does mellow out a bit and focus more on the relationships in sort of bittersweet, melancholic way, but it's from a time where cringe comedy was the big thing. It relies a lot on the characters so to really be able to enjoy it you kinda need to get invested in the whole Pam/Jim thing (and later Dwight and the others), but if you're not enjoying the comedy I wouldn't say it's worth the investment.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 13, 2024

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

One of the other cops lost an off putting amount of weight in between seasons. Like he was already skinny (still healthy looking though), but suddenly he just looked like he was skin and bones like he had a serious health condition or substance abuse problem or something.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

After the first two episodes I got busy with life stuff and decided to just wait until I can binge it all.

It feels bad to catch up with like three episodes in a row in the middle of a season only to then have to wait a week between episodes. I have to either have it all available to me at once or watch it one episode a week, and I can deal with missing one episode, but if it's three or more I'm already out of it enough I might just as well wait.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The viking reenactor wizard looking dude was funny as hell

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

What are some detectives shows that are a nice balance of mystery and humor? I recently rewatched the 2010 Dirk Gently series and am wanting something else that deftly blends the two. I don't necessarily need something of that same tone or vibe, anything from any era is good. Extra points if it's pre-2000. I'm good if it's just a particularly humorous episode of The Rockford Files or an old Sherlock Holmes series that's particularly witty.

Monk is a classic.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They also recently made a movie to revisit the character.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's been a while since I've seen it but iirc Haven is very loosely based on a Stephen King short story. One of his supernatural mystery ones, not horror. That doesn't really tell you much except give you a sense of the vibe the mysteries have. I remember it being very moody. Loads of rainy Maine coast shots and stuff.

Eureka on the other hand is all fancy gizmos, crazy gimmicks, lots of bright colors and cheesy jokes. What if a mad scientist genetically engineered idk brocolli so that when people eat it they can walk through walls and a wild west bank robber was accidentally timetravelled here and eats it? It's silly and fun, but also has a lot of heart in a mid 2000s way. You can tell the actors are having fun just hamming it up dealing with rogue robots and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

DaveKap posted:

This came on the heels of the news that Max cancelled it. Quite possibly one of the dumbest moves in television history.
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/scavengers-reign-canceled-max-netflix-1235998046/

So there's still a chance Netflix will order a second season if it does well? :pray: