Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Holy poo poo, I know this is weird, but it's TV adjacent, so I'll put it here, but that anyone remember that Lone Ranger catchphrase? I always thought it was "Hi Ho Silver!" Apparently, it's "Hi Yo Silver," and I've been The Berenstain Bears/Mandela effecting.

https://medium.com/@nathanielhebert/hi-yo-silver-hi-ho-silver-and-the-murky-history-of-the-lone-rangers-catchphrase-9860e4433f23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXN5Ws7LxkA

I wonder how many people are about to learn that Coco Chanel was a huge anti-semite and nazi collaborator / spy.

From the clip, it shows like they're somehow, wtf, going to rationalize her being a Nazi collaborator. But anti-semite? Nah. I don't think a show meant to kiss fashion history's rear end is going to tarnish the name of Coco Chanel to the public that watches or pirates Apple TV.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

If award shows meant anything, Alan Cumming would beat RuPaul at reality tv show host at the Emmy’s.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Yeah. It stresses you the hell out. I wouldn't say the first season glamourizes anything about being a chef. From line cook to haute cuisine, apparently, everything has its point of being hosed up.

I'm still waiting for a Spanish dub version of The Bear to show a family member who lived that life as a chef in a restaurant. I live in the US, so Hulu never put it up.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

How's True Detective this season? Is each season its own little bubble? I ask because I heard Jodie Foster is in it.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I know Ryan Murphy productions get a lot of poo poo on this site, but Feud S2 has everyone acting their asses off. Holy poo poo, it gets sad though. There's been two episodes and I don't know whether to feel for Capote or feel he got what he deserved.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Hows the first season?

Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange have good chemistry, acting-wise, together. Their poisonous volleys at each other made my day when I watched it ages ago.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

The Traitors was SO good this season. If you're a competitive reality show fan, you should check it out. I don't know anything about who the players are, just that they come from different reality shows that I haven't watched (except DWTS and RPDR) but it was still amazing!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

ymgve posted:

which country's version of The Traitors are you talking about?

US. Both S1 and S2 were great.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Also I didn't get why all these asholes were friends.

Why did Musk marry Grimes? Some things are just a mystery.

I've always assumed people with money and fame simply flock together to spread the prestige cyclically amongst themselves.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Has anyone else been watching Quiet On Set? I just finished episode 1 and the horror stories from the writers on the All That set… drat.

Very much a reminder that Hollywood is trash and the book Burn It Down is absolutely right.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Is that there the tiktoks I'm seeing are coming from? I just saw a clip where a someone who was on All That said he went to a guy's house and the guy had a custom painting from John Wayne Gacy and was penpals with him.

I think so. I remember that moment in episode 2.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

That's some A+ blame-throwing. PR team earning their $.

It shows the level of pull and power this rear end in a top hat still had to even have representation still willing to go up to bat for him. Hell, I just saw a recent picture of him with Ariana Grande and a couple of other adult Nick stars.

He should be toxic to the point that no one wants to go near him.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Episode three of Quiet On Set was a gut punch. Jesus, the support letters victim blaming… the full court in support of Peck… the fact that even after he was convicted, he still works on The Suite Life of Zach and Cody, with KIDS.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My inlaws are 60+ and unlike me have horrible tastes in TV shows and watch poo poo like two and half men and everybody loves raymond reruns all the time. I know why this crap was popular (boomers have poo poo tastes) but being exposed to it is causing me real pain.

It's the same plots over and over, same mean misogynistic jokes over and over, horrible characters that don't grow or change, just be mean and horrible to each other over and over.

Chuck Lorre and Phil Rosenthal deserve the death penalty.

I think they cater to older, more conservative mindsets where "it was the good ol' days," and "people could take a joke." Not to mention the older you get, the more you seem to favor simplicity and plot beats that are easy and don't require a knowledge of what happened the past seasons to get. It's base, channel-flipping humor for people who want to revisit the past.

I assume the same will apply to every generation with their own shows, rehashing old favorites like The Sopranos, Patriot, The Wire, Lost, what have you.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I realize I'm very late to the game on this, barely catching up with TV that isn't reality or cartoon, but the pilot to Amazon's Mr. and Mrs. Smith was awesome. I'm looking forward to more. The two main actors are really good.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

You know, you can tell Ryan Murphy's not as involved in this season of AHS because although there is crazy, it's controlled and tempered by quiet moments and a general sense of unease and horror. I love this season and there's only one episode yet. Wondering whether it's going to screw the pooch or be good all the way through.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

:derp: What the hell was that, Mr. And Mrs. Smith finale?! Don't leave me like that!!

Was there any word about more?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Girls5Eva had a great season on Netflix. I need the song Splenda Daddy on my Spotify! I hope Netflix keeps it at least for a little longer. It's a Tina Fey production, so probably has some hope of more.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Columbo was brought up in this thread and I was going to let goons know: the new show Elsbeth kinda has the same "show the murder, then solve how to catch the murderer" premise. The main actress really sells her kooky character.

Oh and I never saw The Good Wife, but you don't really need to to get this show.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

That's how I was yesterday with The Dead Boy Detectives. I never do this, but I binged it and finished the series in a day.

Super entertaining and SUPER gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

swickles posted:

My wife needs some recommendations for easy watching. She is looking for shows with female leads, something light hearted, but doesn't have to be a comedy per se. Her favorite show of all time is Gilmore Girls. Other shows she likes:
Zoey's Infinite Playlist
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Bonus if the shows also have music/musicals. She is almost done with Call the Midwife, which she really enjoys as well.

For music/musicals, Shmigadoon is amazing. It’s led by a couple, but the FMC is great!