Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

HOLY gently caress posted:

Happy New Year, thread! I deeply approve of the thread title and thank you for the reminder that Black Sails is going to be on Netflix! :swoon:

The thread title is actually about being happy while doing animal abuse on Steamboat Willie.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, Obliterated is such terrible campy action bullshit. I kind of love it.
Is this how people enjoy wrestling?

This makes Reacher look like Hamlet.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 2, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

Anyone who says modern Simpsons is only good with gimmick episodes obviously didn’t see the episode Homer’s Crossing. The episode is about Homer becoming a crossing guard, and also the militarization of police forces.

When that episode aired, I posted around here because I was perplexed how good that was.
In turn someone linked me to this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eazXm7WEz50
I've since seen most of that guys channel, so thanks random goon who did that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

bull3964 posted:

So Amazon raises prices of Prime video with this dumb no-ad tier but then turns around and gets rid of hundreds of MGM and Prime Video employees.

The situation must be really dire if they are forced to do such drastic measures to stay afloat. Maybe the government should subsidize them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Medullah posted:

There's an awful lot of psychotic murder being done by the "good guys" on Reacher

Yes, I have to agree there. Coldly executing a terrified man in a hospital bed in the name of the cop who would be absolutely against doing so felt really bad to me. Especially since that would have been resolved a few minutes later anyway...
I'm okay with a bit of murder on action shows if that is the way to resolve a conflict. But that felt gross.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ted is shockingly good

Honestly, I agree. This show is surprisingly fun. The first episode was weak, but from there on it becomes such a surreal world, it's genuinely funny.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Literally aired at the same time as Friends, which is not exactly a show I would say alienates the gently caress out of younger Brits today (and that video clip is almost 10 years old too).

But Friends is an ancient product from an obsolete society. Like Seinfeld.
Might as well be from the 50s.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Eh, Friends was alright. It was an okay show back in the day when nothing better was around and I feel some jokes haven't aged well. These days there are so much better shows around.
But I started watching Seinfeld at a way later point in my life and couldn't see what all the fuzz was about. I guess I'd think similar about Friends if I would see it for the first time now.
I wonder if Scrubs would be fresh enough to hold up.
Which of today's shows will be liked in 20 years by people who aren't poisoned by nostalgia?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 16, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Holy poo poo. The Brothers Sun is so loving good! Such a well constructed crime drama. Also it features fun Chinese song covers and absolutely delicious looking food.

I absolutely lost it at episode 7, when they're holding a once in a generation triad boss meeting at a fancy restaurant and the camera pans over to one of those guys filling himself a loving doggy bag.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 17, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

The back half of Reacher S2 loving sucks :(

Yeah, there's a lot of wasted potential here and in the end I didn't care for this season.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Shageletic posted:

The Brothers Sun is the most bingeable show this year so far. Not only has great action and intriguing characters, it has all the nice flourishes of smartly observed familial life. Like it feels real too which is hilarious because the plot and violence is so heightened and absurd.

I agree. Big recommendation from me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I liked BCS for the lawyer drama. I did not care at all for the gang stuff. (Except for Tony Dalton, he was great!)
It was roughly 70/30 in that show and went even by the end.
Breaking Bad was 90% stuff I did not care for.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So nobody wanted to make an Avatar Thread?
I'm watching the second episode now. Better than the first episode.
Sokka is great and Suki is too and Zuko seems cool as well, but I'm a bit wary of the other characters at this point. Katara is a bit of a wet blanket so far.

In hindsight, I don't think I liked Book One of the original series all that much. The later episodes are the ones which really stuck in my mind and made me look fondly onto the show. So I wonder if Netflix will continue this series.

Huh, Iroh is played by the guy who played Mr. Kim in Kim's Convenience. Everyone usually called him Appa. :v:

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 23, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
They did some really good streamlining for episode 3 of Avatar. Some first season plotlines which aren't strong enough to stand on their own were neatly compressed there. And important characters get introduced earlier. A genuine improvement over the original. But I know plenty people who get upset by the slightest diversion of the source material, so they would probably be less impressed by that.

Also, It's always great to see Dani Pudi.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lol, the first episode of Elsbeth aired just now, and the second episode won't air until April 4th.

It's pretty fun though.

According to the synopsis, this show is about a quirky autistic lawyer who solves cases with her own special way of looking at the world.
So does she talk about whales all the time?

I liked Extraordinary Attorney Woo. But I could never decide if it was a demeaning stereotype.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I watched the first two episodes of "Dick Turpin" and I enjoyed it. It's very silly and the world has a bit of a Monty Python feel.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Finished up Mr. & Mrs Smith and there better be a second season after that ending :argh:

Why? It's a valid series finale which wraps up the lose ends.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, I see your point. But for my morbid sense of humor it would be a fun ending. "Yes, that's the end. No morale." is a bit rate these days.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Extraordinary is back. The first episode was the same old good (so, you know, good) but the second episode is really, really funny.

This show rocks. S2E3 has the most awkward I love you! I've ever seen.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Extraordinary rules!
I binged the whole season. Episode 7 is a complete highlight.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Girls5eva is back.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm genuinely surprised how much I like 3 Body Problem. The writing made a lot of improvements to the books. Most adaptions really need to learn that they shouldn't be to close to the source material if improvements are possible.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I didn't see Avatar's new show but then why did people universally like the One Piece adaptation when it did the same?

I saw the One Piece show with a bunch of friends. Two of them kept complaining every single loving time when anything was slightly different, or just ordered differently. Honestly, it was exhausting and I will probably see season 2 on my own.
There's people like this for every single adaption of source material. I am actually interested in those changes, because a different interpretation can be a refreshing take on a story and even bring some surprises. Personally, I liked most of the changes from One Piece, Avatar and most recently 3 Body Problem and found that the worst parts where when they slavishly stuck to the source even when those parts were weak or just not fit for tv medium.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 22, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
^^^Hi Red Text buddy. Good times!

I think I actually prefer the tv show adaption to the original. Interestingly, the first season is not exactly a retelling of the first book, since the show is set chronologically and includes early parts of books 2 and 3.
The main characters were rewritten quite heavily, to the point that they show actual emotions and inner thoughts, rather than being exposition absorbing wet blankets. Maybe that's just how Chinese people behave due to cultural differences, but I found most of the people from the book stiff and boring. Also a big change is that these people actually know each other and have interactions, rather than just being people who happen to be the MC of their respective books.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

kalel posted:

I tried watching new girl recently, but it has a really weird regressive and conservative undertone that I found overwhelmingly off-putting. disappointed because I've had it talked up by friends for years. anyone else feel that?

Eventually there is an important person called "Reagan" so yeah, that checks out.
(It was alright in Inside Job, because her father was canonically a shithead who gave her that awful tainted name. RIP Inside Job.)

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 23, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The other two.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, the latest Simpsons barely qualifies as a parody. Things are really that dire in the US. Honestly, it's way to hopeful.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 8, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I saw a few episode of the office. That show just felt unconfortable in a sad way.
Was the show always like that, or did it just age really badly?
For reference it was the first three episodes of season 3.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

If they were they would have written The Judge better and not manage to somehow make literally Maya Rudolph unlikeable

I've seen a few episodes of loot. Seems easy enough to me.

Honestly, I haven't really seen stuff with her were I actually liked her.