Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

They can’t all be winners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, no thread, because holly poo poo, it’s boomer bait and not much more.

BUT I have to admit the “not much more” was enough for me to to binge this poo poo.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I never saw Dallas. Where the main characters in it mass murderers? I think some of the Yellowstone main characters have a body count running in the 30s.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m enjoying Criminal Record on A+ with Cush Jumbo and Salty McGlasgow and Peter Capaldi. It’s a slow-burn British Police drama with 45-minute episodes that give the actors a lot of room to breathe. Filming quality is top-notch, with London almost a secondary character. All filmed on location, kudos to the set designer who made sure flats look actually lived in.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Trick question: has there ever been an alt history tv series? It doesn’t even need to be good. Some shows dip in and out of the topic, like Sliders, and I guess Fringe and Counterpart come close.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

X-O posted:

The Man in the High Castle
For All Mankind
The Plot Against America

FFS I just watched For All Mankind :v:
The Man in the High Castle is a good one
…the last one I have not heard about!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I read the book, but didn't the show go into it actually being an alternate timeline? Like, I watched the first episode, and it ended with them watching a film of the Americans winning the war. And I heard it got more into stuff like that after that. That kinda turned me off the show, for some reason. Not in a "But the book didn't do that!" way, more in a, "I'm not here for a multiverse story" way. I just wanted an alt history show.

Yeah, it was more of a multiverse story in the end and one reality spilling into the other. It certainly went places, compared to the book.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

"I've got full blown AIDS, Nordberg."

Nothing Liam ever does will be funnier than that scene of him jumping the fence in Taken 3. That poo poo is legit like the Deadliest Joke In The World to me, I laugh so hard I can't breathe whenever I see it. The guy who edited that deserves an Oscar for services to comedy.

Had to look this up.

Impressive editing work, indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I've only seen a few clips of the show and was surprised the tone is completely different from the Big Bang Theory. There's no laughtrack and I guess it feels more wholesome?

This thread doesn’t like it, but I’ve been watching since s1 and enjoyed it a lot, and I’ve hated Big Bang. It’s a completely different format, no laugh track, even the visual feel is different (more film blur, leas live studio).

The only connection to Big Bang is through the main character, and they’ve been depending on it less and less. The narrator is the original Sheldon, but after making a few forced call-backs to people and events from the original series in earlier, they’ve been doing their own thing.

Wholesome describes it very well. Additionally, setting in late 80s/early 90s adds some interesting background. However, it’s purely character driven and a great opportunity to see some cool actors - Robert Picardo was on last week, Wallace Shawn (inconceivable!) is a regular, as are some great background actors, like Ed Beagley Jr.and Wendie Malick.

From the main cast, it’s great to see Craig T. Nelson and Annie Potts on the reg, and the child actors are super talented.

The character couple that will get the spin-off subverts expectations - the original series set Sheldon’s older brother as a womanizer looser, but here he seems to step up really well into the role of a young father, even if he’s a bit daft (but also, attractive and street-smart).

I’d say I’m mostly disappointed in how much content they put out - it’s like 12 24 minute episodes a season.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I'm not sure what is worse, this or when that other fuckin show had two people use the same keyboard to "stop a hacker".

This needs to be posted, always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Purely by chance, I stumbled into a video that somebody uploaded to YouTube of all the episodes of streets of San Francisco. I never realized just how closely Police Squad/ Naked Gun was based on this series and actually even the first half of the pilot.

The gag with the windows of an apartment being underwater comes I think from this episode, where a lawyers office has this weird and unnatural view of San Francisco Bay. I never really got this joke and naked gun, where they would always arrive with tires screeching and hit the garbage cans at the crime scene but it’s actually also here - for some reason whenever they arrive at the crime scene, they do it absurd aggressively, and with tire screeching and hitting the curbs. I think the police precinct in Police Squad was almost a 1:1 rendition of this one, not to mention Karl Malden playing the same character almost.

Oh and the mortuary scenes… the whole thing was lifted from just the pikot it seems.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Marvel sez: Hold DeMayo!

Ha.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Nothing about the 100 is remotely realistic or makes sense if you think about it but!!! It’s one hell of a fun ride.

Just wait till you get to the end of season 5 for some lol.

It’s a good show.

Surprised at the positive reviews now. I don’t think it was that well received when it aired and was super corny but few years down the line people seem to like it more.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

Sorry that slipped out she's called Paige on the show.

At this point any connection to BBT is a crutch - they’ve moved all the characters so far from what they established in the original show, that their only way out is a new show with as many characters not mentioned before as possible.

I wonder if they are going to kill off the dad and that’ll be a gateway into the new series. He’s been mentioned in BBT as having died of a heart attack but I still think they’ll pull a „hes dead to me!” parlor trick.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Super late to Twisted Metal. I don’t remember a show that I’d find so off-putting in the first 15 minutes only to turn around by the end of the first episode and blast through as many eps as I could in one sitting.

Mackey’s character is initially super annoying, as he’s just jabbering to himself, but once they put him up against Arnett and Beatriz, it kinda clicks into place. The whole setting feels weird initially, and it’s a brave choice to open with a man getting his groin machine gunned, but then again, they don’t really dwell too much on the what and why and instead fall back on the kinda skewed reality they’re using as a backdrop and it starts working.

The show feels like something out of the Fallout universe and it’d be hilarious if it out-Fallouts Fallout next month.

I’m three episodes in and I think I’ll be done with it by tomorrow, unless it turns to spectacular poo poo.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Someone please decipher the shape of the nacelles or the starsabre handles or whatever the gently caress and tell me if this is set before or after Vader dies please thank

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Based on the first episode, 3 Body Problem got some bad rap online. It’s fine. Ending was spooky in a way I haven’t seen on TV yet.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Qubee posted:

I've had See on my watchlist for ages now, I got partway through episode 1 a year or two back and remember thinking how ridiculous it was. I didn't continue watching. Is it worth me ignoring how silly it is, because it's a very good show? Or is it mediocre?

I binged it. The show is exactly what the first episode is like, and while there are twists and turns and the world get bigger as they go along, if you don’t like the premise, you’re gonna have a bad time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I thought it’s a sci-fi thing???