Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The greatest thing the NYT Connections game did was get me watching Only Connect again.

Connections
Puzzle #205
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟪🟪🟪🟪

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I always thought that QuiBi episodes were too long. Probably why they failed.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I saw a new Lonely Island movie on the front page of Hulu, Self Reliance.

Though it's not quite as good as the other Lonely Island movie on the front page of Hulu from a few years ago, Palm Springs, it was still a pretty good watch.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The first episode of Seinfeld I ever saw was on syndication on UPN and it was one of the clip shows.

I eventually learned to love the show, but what a confusing introduction.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

A real hosts would simply spin their wedding ring in the absence of writers.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I like how each season finale from 3 onwards is written as a series finale, each worse than the last.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Arist posted:

The actual series finale is one of the best episodes though??? And I don't love the Season 5 finale but it's a lot better than 4's.

Probably. I just remember them all being kinda exhausting.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Because of Night Country, I've been rewatching True Detective S1. It still slaps, but little behind the camera interviews with Nic Pizzolatto makes me want to give that man a wedgie. What a pretentious dork. It's especially amplified by the much more sensible and interesting commentary from Cary Fukunaga.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've rewatched Breaking Bad several times, but haven't gone back to Saul for more than a few clips. The slow burn nature of BCS works against it in that case.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If there was a show with 90% stuff I didn't care for, I simply would not watch it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They're too busy making my cheap shoes.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

No the internet discourse is what got super weird. The show was fine but it made a lot of people online goes bugfuck insane.

If you don't think the transition from space Lord of the Flies to humanity pleading their case to a celestial god that had previously crysalized a civiliation of 40 foot giants isn't "super weird" or "bugfuck insane", I don't know what to tell you.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hmm, an FX Hulu show? They haven't steered me wrong yet.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Upload renewed for fourth and final season. I thought it was done, good for it.

Amazon gets my money one last time then.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dessel posted:

I'm starting 5th episode of Season 3 of the 100 which I've been marathoning while being ill. The show is stupid enough on a level for it to be watchable while being ill but still having hooks and plot. I'm definitely getting more of strenuous "haha fanfic/too handy a moment" laughs as the series progresses, it's corny but entertaining.

I believe INTERNET has discussed (general spoilers over all 2 and a change of seasons)

The fact they didn't do any Earth observing is a huge plot hole solely for season 1. If they had bothered to point some cameras Earth-wards to see what's going on, even primitive human civilization using torches should have been visible from space as no other sources of light from modern light pollution should be active. So Earth being "livable" would have not been a surprise. How radiation works in the series makes no sense either but ehh.

I like the fact there's decent amount of character progression in the show for better or worse, and characters that are "good" make bad decisions. A lot of stuff happening seems like RPG-morality choice stuff to a fault though, but I don't mind this. Honestly I feel Abby made the wrong decision in not abandoning camp Jaha. Thelonious has been off the deep end for a long time. I could've sworn it was Murphy who was the "grounder" who blew up the mountain, but then there's still been no appearances by Raven and the mechanic/engineer boss from what I remember after the blast? Maybe I'm misremembering. I expected them to roll the guy and show Murphy.

Murphy's a bad guy but it's surprising they decided to continue on his character progression. He seems like almost your token contrarian/skeptic and I hope he is not actually the grounder guy. Him just going gently caress this poo poo with Thelonious' quasi-religious enlightement to find a different way in the past season.... I hope amounts to something. I am honestly looking forward to more Murphy being like a secondary viewer surrogate of "gently caress this poo poo"-style. Thelonious was off the deep end but the quartz or whatever seems to have...mind controlling capabilities? It's probably related to the trance and seeing the "City of Light". I would guess for some sort of time dilation sort of effect to turn someone but eh the show doesn't seem to suggest the time passes differently in "the City". I can see the AI's plan being making all humans docile with the City of Light, maybe supposedly for good or to ensure every last human is killed by their own power as the AI's fake religion spreads like a cancer. Escapism is a strong force.

I felt like third season's start was a dumb way to reset second season's ending and the betrayal. If I were Clarke/From the Ark I think I would not trust any of the grounders at all and the long game would be to annihilate them all. For revenge and security. That's genocidal speech but man the tribes have been a scourge from the beginning, even if the show has shown individuals in the tribes to be fine they've been an absolute agents of chaos time and time again. People from the Ark should honestly just hope to relocate completely somewhere different but that's not what creates drama.

Oh and the Acid Fog would've realistically been rendered useless by a heavy downpour, right?

edit: Bellamy going out and about to kill the grounders seems like a heel turn that doesn't fit his character at this point. I was honestly kinda expecting him to lure the traitors and turning them in or just dealing with them himself

I'm only going to comment on your face blindness. Murphy has nothing to do with the mountain exploding.

Otherwise, enjoy the ride.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also Octavia is the worst :colbert:

Good thing they just keep giving her new titles when the old ones wear thin.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

bull3964 posted:

My parents, both in their 70s, recently got access to Hulu because I had to kick them off my Disney+ (account sharing measures). They were on Youtube TV, but decided to go all in on Hulu with LiveTV bundled with Disney to save some money. They started watching "Only Murders in the Building" and love it, but it's hilarious that they have both mentioned separately that "they could do without all the vulgar language." In my mind, "Only Murders..." is probably one of the more wholesome things that I regularly watch.

Some of the F bombs could definitely be removed with no negative impact to the show.

Shame on you, Selena Gomez.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I demand to know how many takes this took and how much was improv for the 'kissing' (I'm going to guess most of it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-MfrVGW168

Kissing should not be improv-ed and intimacy coordinators are a good, important thing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

zoux posted:

Yeah, I had a similar thought w/r/t Invincible. People didn't like that they were getting "only" 8 episodes (split into two 4 episode seasons) but they were almost all 1+ hour long. Animated series are almost universally 24 minutes, and I haven't done the math on this, but in terms of raw content it's more like ~20 episodes of traditional cartoons. Now obviously this isn't the same, they aren't structured like 3 episodes in one, but in terms of man hours, they aren't making much less.

On the other other hand, long episodes almost always feel like they're dragging. It might be a me problem, but if I see an episode of anything that's longer than an hour, it's guaranteed that it'll take me 2+ sittings to finish.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Arist posted:

I get that feeling but also The Bear has "Fishes" which is a tour-de-force that absolutely wouldn't work if it wasn't a full hour.

Yeah that's actually a good exception!

I think one thing is that it was clear that it was a one off from the start. I'll watch a 1 hour episode if I'm "promised" a good ending, instead of it just being hour 5 in a 10 hour long movie.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Don't get me started on how Scorsese movies should have intermissions like at the theater.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think many creatives have the luxury of getting the number of episodes that they would want.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Black Mirror kind of does by telling Netflix "Sorry, we only made 3 episodes. Is that enough?"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

Watching the first episode of Conan O'Brien Must Go and they got Werner Herzog to narrate the opening, hell yeah

e: So far this is just like his old remotes, I'm so happy

Why watch something new when I can just rewatch the Gigolos Mug remote?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I just block the ads. Vudu is also an ad-supported platform. So you're best bet will be Goku for streaming or download sharing for soft copies.

:goku:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I prefer murals of Asian Jesus personally.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Medullah posted:

I honestly wish The Good Place had only been one season, and I say that even though I enjoyed the show. It was just such a nice twist and climax.

But I was also a GIANT fan of Prison Break and not only did I not watch the following seasons, I refuse to recognize their existence. That was a huge 1 season show.

Now I'm trying to think of others that fit that mold. Dexter maybe?

I really liked season 4 of Prison Break. The overall story was off the rails (for better or worse), but the first half of the season was basically repeated 40 minute heist movies, which I'm all for.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh my god. 4 years after the implosion of the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen, Claire Saffitz is once again trying to make things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd0TQeVQ2Z0

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I can't believe Michael would kill Chidi in order to create Chidi-Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I assure you that there has never been an insightful or interesting criticism on this forum :smug: