Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I called Ed being God's angel in FAM ages ago. They could've gone for it this season already with Karen, but so far nothing. 2 episodes left though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Have you tried Orville? I'm curious how that shapes the Seth opinion, for better or worse

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I find it funny, if we're talking about teevee shows timing themselves, that SVU :doink: starts out with detective Munch (:rip:) waiting on a fax from Jersey or some poo poo, to the cops eventually gleefully photographing crime scenes on their smart phones.

Of course there's the darker side to this, what with how Liv banters about transsexuals across the seasons, and I suppose how Elliot gleefully beats on every suspect but I find this part hard to take not as a comedy.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Azhais posted:

Bring back Kings

:hmmyes:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Because gently caress you that's why

TV isn't made to be watched anymore :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fictional depictions of scientists tend to be... Well, very fictional, but honestly that is a good thing because the actual work is about as dry as you'd expect. It's nice when they get scientific stuff at least close to the ballpark, like on crime shows sometimes, and if it's just absolute technobabble that's fine too, it moves the character drama along.

I don't imagine actual lawyering is like the antics on Boston Legal, and frankly if real MD's live like the people on Grey's I feel sorry for 'em :smith:

I choose to imagine that actual policemen in the US are an amalgam of Elliot Stabler and Tom Selleck's moustache, however!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

As a history professor, I honestly can't think of a single fictional depiction of my profession at all, accurate or not.

It's a movie, but The Man from Earth. Though it doesn't really put the profs in a professional setting, as it were.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

Also a big fan. Never dared to watch the sequel, any good?

It's... Well, it's not. It changes genres and it's just a different type of story. Would not recommend :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

IRQ posted:

Dr. Daniel Jackson had like 3 movies and a whole tv show.

He also famously flamed out with "ancient alien" :airquote: theories long before reaching tenure

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, and I repeat: "HBO No."

It's a real shame. For a very long time the channel was at the forefront of queer productions, with productions like Angels In America, Oz, Six Feet Under, and more recent material like Someone Somewhere, Betty, Sort Of, Out Flag Means Death meaning that it was still the competing frontrunner with FX (thanks to gay terrorist Ryan Murphy). A lot of that's gone away now, which is sad, because there's something to be said for stories that aren't integrated, that talk about queer spaces or centralise queer narratives outside of Pride Month and away from noted precarious spaces for queer creatives like Amazon and Disney.

But to me, more than the cancellations (which are a constant facet of the TV landscape) these multiple deals with Rowling indicate, at best, the open expectation that future minority productions should exist side by side with Queen poo poo Of TERF Island. And it's dispiriting to see that seachange happen.

lol

I think Oz was a great show, but was it really queer-positive?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That wasn't my original argument but tbh sure, in that it was a significant show with a bi male lead. That was ground breaking in and of itself, but you also have a number of queer supporting cast members and stories that frequently acknowledged situational sexuality among men. You ended up with a show that depicted a wide ranging set of experiences among same sex attracted men. I'd say all of that was a net positive and still fundamentally progressive.

Who was the male lead?

Even if we discount the child-mutilation bits of Beecher's story-line, it was very much played as a wretched story of rape by Schillinger and the threat of Adebisi doing the same. And Beecher literally took a poo poo on someone, because they were violated and disturbed.

Beecher also had a sordid love affair with Elliot of SVU, and that went sour fast too, since it was a nazi ploy.

That show had a lot to say, for sure, but it definitely meant among other things to say that male on male sexual intercourse was bad (rape) or lead to horrible things (Beecher and Elliot).

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

It's a good show all the same :unsmith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

WAAAAALT

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Other than Perry Mason, Babylon Berlin, and True Detective Season 4, what other solid serialized detective/neo noir shows are worth checking out from the past, say, 5 years?

Bosch

There's a lot of it, but each season is its own story, and Harry really cares

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Someone was watching the Ash show, and somehow I wound up watching From Dusk Til Dawn, and they just had a very mean scene where someone's eyeballs burst into someone's mouth

It's almost as if the Raimi brothers had a thing going on

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oasx posted:

I really can’t stand him half the time, but funnily enough it’s because he cares so much that he often turns into a bit of a selfish rear end in a top hat.

It kind of makes sense how he is with Maddie, but he definitely suffers from Main Character Syndrome

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fellas, I think the guy who is literally named after an avatar of evil might not have the best intentions

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I trust anyone who enjoys Boston Legal, but still

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

David Suchet is the only Poirot

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I read the book, but didn't the show go into it actually being an alternate timeline? Like, I watched the first episode, and it ended with them watching a film of the Americans winning the war. And I heard it got more into stuff like that after that. That kinda turned me off the show, for some reason. Not in a "But the book didn't do that!" way, more in a, "I'm not here for a multiverse story" way. I just wanted an alt history show.

Hello, I am the person who just recently watched it and got a new appreciation for it because it leans into the "traveller" aspect so early. They clearly wanted to tell a story about that, and the trade minister visiting a world with his son, it was very moving.

Gosh, it was such a fun show, with so many people in who were absolutely monsters.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hey, if it works, it works. I would watch Hugh Laurie read the instruction manual to Mechwarrior 2.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Are we allowed to say it's good to have physical media of poo poo you care about?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Shoot, not the Mormons :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I was bewildered reading the synopsis of the Left Behind books in this thread and reading multiple posts about the non-Christians living in a utopia where there is no hunger or war or need and then that these were the... bad guys? :psyduck:

User nickname-post combo

I grew up in a non-believing household, so I wasn't exposed to a lot of crazy Christian media as a kid, but there was that show "Touched by an Angel" or something?, and I'm sure that'd be extremely hosed up to watch now.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

So what you're saying is, you'd be an above-average CEO

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

DogsInSpace! posted:

Wow. Another fan. I still have the dvds I bought in high school in 2004 and rewatch them now and then. Really good show for the exact reasons you mentioned. Well done show that nobody remembers but maybe you and I.

I have a soft spot for SyFy Dune, too. Chani asking Paul to tell her about the waters of his homeland is an intrusive thought to this day.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If we believe in Wikipedia, Childhood's End was indeed the last SyFy mini. It's also dang good, I think I watched it after someone here recommended it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Games Radar dot com has some comments from the makers of the up-coming Fallout teevee show:

Total Film posted:

The Fallout TV show isn't going to be a mere adaptation of the beloved post-apocalyptic video game series. Instead, the Prime Video series - which stars Ella Purnell and Walton Goggins - is going to have its own canonical space in the nuclear wasteland, a freeing choice that has led executive producer Jonathan Nolan to say the project is "almost like we're Fallout 5".

"From the first conversation with Todd [Howard, game director of Fallout 3 & 4, and an executive producer on the show] we were most excited about an original story," Nolan tells Total Film in our new issue out this Friday, which features Road House on the cover.

[...]Nolan continues, "Each of the [Fallout] games is a discrete story – different city, distinct protagonist – within the same mythology. Our series sits in relation to the games as the games sit in relation to each other. It’s almost like we’re Fallout 5. I don’t want to sound presumptuous, but it’s just a non-interactive version of it, right?"

Fallout, though, arrives in a different television landscape than the one it was conceived in. The Last of Us won the hearts and minds of audiences and awards bodies alike after its 2023 debut and, now, the message is clear after a potted history: video game adaptations can be something more.

"Now there’s an expectation of: 'No, they can actually be great. I watched some good ones,'" says co-showrunner Graham Wagner with a smile. "In a perverse way, I wish there was more snobbery so that we could have been the first!"

Fallout is released on Prime Video on April 12.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I haven't played 3, but the main plot for 4 sucked and blew, so I'm glad they're doing something original. It could also be awful, but there's a chance it won't be? And Kyle MacLachlan is always a good time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I tried to use the search function on this thread, but it said no one had mentioned that they're making a Netflix sequel to Beverly Hills Cop? I saw Kevin Bacon and Paul Reiser in there!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hmm, that's a good point :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I finally watched that recently for the first time, and added rich context to a line I've been repeating often in whatever context involving eyes or going places. I always thought maybe it was a kind of chill experience, top down in a car road trip on acid kind of vibe, an invitation to a weird and chill psychadelic time where you don't need to use your eyes to see interesting things.

Naw, it's the jurassic park guy having a weird and unchill time, very harsh vibes.

For more unchill adventures of Jurassic Park guy, check out the movie In the Mouth of Madness :iit:

For a chill movie with Jurassic Park guy, check out The Dish :unsmith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

How many cast members have Lego figurines made out of 'em? Jurassic Park guy does, at least.

Although Lego figurines would go over the 10 buck budget already!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hmm, I really should watch Wolf again

Oh, wait, friendly :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nichael posted:

It's funny, but yes, RBW does have a similar insane energy. Bring back Raised by Wolves, for gently caress sake.

Sol will deliver, friend :pray:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The magical friend in Happy! is a unicorn, friend

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Trip report: I binged Parasyte over the weekend, and it was pretty nice. I liked the main characters, and aside from the insane body horror monsters it's a workable "no one can trust anyone and drama ensues" romp. Probably won't need to watch again, but I thought it pulled off what it seemed to want to accomplish.

Seriously though if you're squeamish, the monsters might be a bit much :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Accept and then watch NOTHING but 24 hour looping seasons of Raised by Wolves.

If it's just a watch, maybe they could leave the watch in a room with the 24/7-loop? Does it need to feel a heartbeat to register a viewer?

This all sounds very cyberpunk dystopia, not gonna lie

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Hear me out....

The fact we have a picture fuckin perfect BJ Blazkowicz in our midst yet no Wolfenstein adaptation in production is a crime.

I wonder if TV studios still have loads of old Nazi costumes and props laying around, apparently this was partly what prompted the Nazi Star Trek episode?

Although I remember reading that they burnt all the Nazi costumes and props after The Man in the High Castle wrapped, so maybe not

But yeah anyway, bring B.J. Blazkowicz to teevee, with an option to produce the obligatory Commander Keen and DooM sequel series :hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Are you not familiar with goons? I often avoid show threads if the show is based on a book that I haven't read yet, because it's impossible for some goons to not constantly drop a bunch of super obvious nudge-nudge wink-wink spoilers regardless of any rules. You can either constantly report them and listen to them endlessly whine about how everyone's a huge baby snowflake over spoilers, or just accept that you're going to know how the entire show will end by page 5 at the latest.

Plenty of the assholes who used to proudly buy avatars full of spoilers for the lols are still around, you think they're going to just respectfully accept the rules of your special weekly thread?

For what it's worth, I think the no-spoilers containment thread worked pretty well for the new dragons and incest show, although admittedly I'm not that invested in GRRM lore so I wouldn't have been irritated by accidental wink wink nudges revealing something.

I liked that Fallout dropped all at once since I did have time to just sit down for 8 hours with it, but right now the thread for the show is a horrible REDACTED mess that's barely readable and I'm afraid to post there since, as you say, there is a huge amount of source material and it's impossible to know what could be a future spoiler :shrug: Conversely, I watched the first episode of Shogun when it dropped and decided to wait until it's done to binge it, since I know I would go nuts with weekly cliff-hangers in a show like that.