Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Traitor is back on Peacock. It's low calorie reality tv, effectively high stakes Mafia, but the first season had a couple of great things going for it:

- All Star cast of reality tv stars from Real House Wives, Bachelors, Big Brother, Survivor, etc. It's surprisingly charming watching these D-listers interact.
- Alan Cumming is chewing it the gently caress up as the Emcee of the show. Killer host. He's approaching it like the Chairman from Iron Chef, fully committing to the games reality. Great fits too.

Second season has likewise been a hoot so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

I haven’t seen the US version yet, but I’m gonna jump in and say to watch the UK seasons too as they’re mostly likely better. No celebs it’s all just regular people, the stories all the way through are great and both seasons end with strong finales. Claudia absolutely makes the show her own.

I'd encourage ya to check the US one out, as imo it's way, way better, for the reasons you listed. Having the cast be entirely reality tv people is great, because as I'd mentioned you have people famous for winning survivor going up against a small army of Bravo Housewives. It just heightens the already silly premise.

& Claudia is ok, but I'm telling ya Alan Cumming is a tier onto himself. Brings a gravitas the show doesn't deserve but totally makes it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

She steals the show. They're doing a game to collect money in small barrels for the eventual winner's pot and she just gives up right away and starts tossing away money into a field within sight of the finish line.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ymgve posted:

Would this have the same impact if one doesn’t recognize a single US reality show star?

Yes. I've only recognized one or two people from Survivor. The joy is less recognizing them and more just seeing people from these different worlds interact. But a lot of them are seasoned so they know how to lean into themselves, if that makes sense.

Chairman Capone posted:

She was the best part of Below Deck and the show never really was the same when she left.

Last year my wife made me start watching Below Deck with her and I’m ashamed of how into it I’ve gotten. Only watched the original and Mediterranean, though.

Might have to watch this. She's the perfect combo of petty and lazy, but so self assured that you can't help but respect it somehow? Like there's no point being mad at a rock for being a rock, and this rock is entertaining as hell.

Here's a supercut of some her wonderful work on the show. Spoilers, in the sense that it's footage from multiple episodes, but if anyone needs convincing to check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nydPjv9Bqa4

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 28, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This season of Traitors rocks because two of the three traitors are playing awfully. Can just picture the producers behind the camera's going poo poo poo poo poo poo, how can we help these guys out so we can get to ~14 episodes.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Glad to hear the Avatar adaption is 'good to ok' sounds like. Sucks that the original creators can't catch a break on staying attached to their property, but it's not like they got Disco Elyisum'd out of working in that world. Will have to give it a watch.

Shame that tv only exists in ten episode chunks nowadays. Big strength of that series in particular was the journey of it, so while a lot of the one-off's weren't as memorable, they really filled in the world in a way that made that series shine and helped better trace the character growth as they trotted along. Without that I would be surprised if this had as big a popularity splash as the original, or heck One Piece Live Action had, but going in with an open mind.

X-O posted:

People really need to get over this notion that there's no reason for remaking things. I've seen dozens of different tellings of Hamlet in my life and most of them are literally one to one adaptations. But there's always something new that each brings to the table whether it's a good performance, a good set piece, or something added. Adaptations don't water originals down, they expand on them. You may not like the expansion and the expansion may not always be good or positive. But there's nothing wrong with doing one. They can easily be ignored if they're not you thing.

Agree whole heartedly with this. There's been, what, a million Sherlock Holmes adaptions, and there'll probably be another million. The good news is that the good adaptions don't unmake the ones that previously existed. That comfort food is still out there to be enjoyed. Did we need a Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock? Probably not. But we already have a as-good-as-it-gets-book-to-script-adaption in the Jeremy Brett series, and no hot Sherlock will take him away.

Which is all to say live action Cowboy Bebop was

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bit into Avatar, gonna finish it before posting too many thoughts but the diversity casting is noticeably cool. They did my boy Bumi dirty but the actor nails the performance of it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I was the change I wanted to see in the forums: made an Avatar thread given how many times it's coming up here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055095

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

zoux posted:

Fess up, did you know how to spell that without looking

Some news on the netflix series i am apparently personally writing, directing, and casting

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1762968550740832639

Having a fun time imagining them getting the rights to Ballad of Guitaeau from Soundheim's Assassins musical for this. Assuming Shannon or Offerman is cast as Guitaeau either would kill it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5QjBrcjUJE

edit: in speed to dream missed that MacFayden is Guitaeau. Heck, I'd sign up to see him sing this diddy too, guy's probably got pipes.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

PriorMarcus posted:

Poker Face at its best doesn't come close to Columbo.

To each their own, but Poker Face was one of the best shows that came out last year. Wouldn't say it surpasses Columbo, probably impossible, Peter Falk is just too good, but it reaches those highs in a few episodes. Easily the best show in that same vein since Columbo came out.

Go watch Poker Face if you haven't, is what I'm saying.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

Rian Johnson makes good movies but I also would 100% believe it if he was a giant smug rear end in a top hat in real life.

It's also kind of funny that he was paid 100 million to do Glass Onion.

Eh. When it comes to people being jerks, I always look out for collaborators. Like, you can tell Tommy Wiseau is actually both crazy and an rear end in a top hat given that the second he got a few guest gigs on shows he never worked with any of those people again. Vs, say, Wes Anderson who borderline has a troupe of A-listers at this point. It's more complicated than that, but Johnson has enough reoccuring people between film and Poker Face that he's probably an ok guy.

Glass Onion didn't have particularly deep satire, but it was a lot of fun so that can be forgiven.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

bull3964 posted:

Now we know why Roku was changing their TOS and forcing everyone into it.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/12/24098398/roku-hackers-breach-credit-card-info

I get the convenience of it, but I'm glad I've never logged into any personal accounts of my tv. Slapped a Chrome Cast in an HDMI port and just cast anything I need to watch. Not that everything else in my orbit isn't selling my data, but tv companies have always felt like an entity particularly eager to do so. And apparently was correct about them being pretty sloppy about handling it too.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Started watching Killing It. Slightly whimsy, surprisingly over the top, and very charming.

It's not amazing - something epitomized by the opening titles that are just full on doing the Eastbound and Down sting where it freezes on an awkward face and has the title flash up. They're just a lot less aggressive/all-in than that show was, so it just looks a little dull.

Hearts in a good place tho and it's a fun watch so far.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Whoever was talking up US Traitors is in trouble, because these people (s1) are making the Australian s2 cast, aka the dumbest people to ever be on tv, look like geniuses in comparison.

That's what makes the US version so great! Will warn that some of the S2 people are even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watching the New Pope. Did a binge of The Young Pope beforehand because it's been years since I watched it. The dip in quality is really disappointing.

First season was indulgent fun with "what if the Pope but hot and with parent issues", held together by this renegade wildcard pope with mad charisma. Genuinely interesting ideas put forth around what if the Pope decided to shroud his face and wizard-of-oz his reign, or the twist of the young guy being an ultra conservative.

Kind of muddles it's own message with him going from an extreme hard-line conservative in the first six episodes that is destroying the institution... to a guy who is still doing all that stuff but he's ok with this one gay guy now and sends a pedophile to Alaska so he's actually good at his job now.

But the New Pope just... kind of sucks. Malkovich is fine, but never has the spotlight in the same way Law does. His tragic backstory is littered in the episodes, but it isn't interesting. Whereas with Young Pope there's always a tension on what he's going to do, here you know Malkovich is a middle-of-the-road guy, so most of his scenes lack that thrill.

Worst bit tho is that the show only has two of the original female cast return, one from a supporting character to main cast, and hoo boy are they singularly depicted as sex objects. In S1, a very devout lady is blackmailed into trying to seduce the young pope and she has him cope a feel. In this season her husband has left her so she has to strip for rich kids (which are shown) with that werewolf disease and then she falls in love with the werewolf kid. The savy media lady from S1 returns and is on her knees in front of an old guy jacking it in her second scene, and goes topless is various arty dream sequences to follow.

Don't have an issue with a show doing scenes like those, but it's such a large proportion of both characters scenes and they're the main women protagonists in the story... just feels really gross.

On top of all of that tho, haven't seen a show since West World that's pissed me off more for dialog that is a pong game of "DEEP STATEMENTS about life" that are the kind of poo poo your high roommate says to you. Easy to overlook those from S1, but christ, S2 is a slog of it.

Shame about it. Might still give the inevitiable third season a shot. Show is like a Baz Luhrmann in that it's style over substance, and hey turns out ripping your style from the Catholic Church is a great cheat.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 24, 2024