Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watch that British show Taskmaster on Youtube, so sometimes the algorithm recommends me other British game shows, like 8 out of 10 Cats Countdown or Would I Lie To You, and those are decent enough background sounds. But earlier today I watched an episode of this show called Only Connect.

What the gently caress is wrong with Britain? That has run 19 seasons? How? Why? Why hasn't anyone told them to stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Whats your problem with it?

It's insanely boring! It's the most boring TV show I've ever seen, it's like a joke from The Simpsons.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Like, when the host explained the answer or even when the contestants managed to work it out, they were just like, "oh, ok, yeah that makes sense". It's the only time I've ever watched a game show where it felt like the contestants were playing along out of politeness.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mystes posted:

Have you ever watched, I don't know, jeopardy?

Jeopardy is so much faster. Jeopardy is Crank 2 compared to Only Connect. Only Connect spends like two minutes just to get to, "That's right, they are all authors who have written books with the name of a season in the title!" *extremely polite applause*

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Khanstant posted:

Bring back radio storytelling broadcasts. Rerun George Burns and Gracie Allen radio show, one last ride before the public domain window creeps up.

You are going to lose your poo poo when you find out about Podcasts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pretty soon sports are going to be bundled into a gambling service, so you won’t need TV for that either.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

muscles like this! posted:

Netflix must really be expecting Delicious in Dungeon to hit big as they're simul-dubbing it.

If there is an ounce of justice in the world, it will. Delicious in Dungeon is the best fantasy series of the 21st century

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh lol no I wasn't trying to drat it with faint praise or anything. It's not like Game of Thrones or other fantasy stuff, it's actually really good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arist posted:

I think he's saying you have bad opinions

That can't be it, I famously have excellent opinions

Arist posted:

Delicious in Dungeon is very good, though

See?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Open Source Idiom posted:

TV Cancellations:

American Born Chinese (D+)

If it was that bad it's no wondering they're cancelling it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GreenNight posted:

And apparently you also need internet! Gotta get specific.

But you already have the internet!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm disappointed that Letterboxd is doing TV. I thought we had gotten to the point where people admitted that even good TV shows aren't as good as movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pan Dulce posted:

Holy poo poo, I know this is weird, but it's TV adjacent, so I'll put it here, but that anyone remember that Lone Ranger catchphrase? I always thought it was "Hi Ho Silver!" Apparently, it's "Hi Yo Silver," and I've been The Berenstain Bears/Mandela effecting.

https://medium.com/@nathanielhebert/hi-yo-silver-hi-ho-silver-and-the-murky-history-of-the-lone-rangers-catchphrase-9860e4433f23

taht just reminded me that the Armie Hammer Lone Ranger movie was actually pretty fun for the 20 minutes at the end it allowed itself to be a Lone Ranger movie. It was just a shame about the two hours leading up to that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I didn’t think the Batman was bloated. I’m sure it could’ve been edited a bit tighter but it never really felt like it was dragging or meandering.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Halo was the first good FPS, this is true.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mulva posted:

Context is King, for a game on the N64 made nearly 30 years ago? Yes, it 100% is that good....but that doesn't change it's not 30 years ago and we don't have to use an N64.

Halo was made 25 years ago and is still good today.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't think there's really that much distance between Dark Souls and Elden Ring.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ymgve posted:

The worst thing is that a chase between the penguin and the batmobile should be over in like 5 seconds. You mean the multi-billion dollar war machine can’t outrun a normal car?

The Penguin drives a very nice car.

And the point isn't that the Batmobile is fast, it's that it's like an animal that's got his scent.

bull3964 posted:

There’s only so many times Batman can approach from the darkness in slow motion to the same 3 bars of a Nirvana song.

wrong

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair the guy they cast looks far too young to age into John Goodman in a couple of decades time.

I will quite happily take that over digital de-aging.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Saw an excerpt from an interview with Matt Fraction about Monarch and he says he is constantly pushing for the Monsterverse to add Jet Jaguar.

I still think Jet Jaguar in Megalon is one of the worst things ever, but I loved Jet Jaguar in Singular Point. I feel like a Monsterverse Jet Jaguar would be in the middle. Not bad, not great. So we'd have a full spectrum of Jet Jaguar quality.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

aww, they didn't get May Martin back for Taskmaster Champion of Champions 3

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Khanstant posted:

Dang, that's a bummer. I assume they are on some other project right now? Who is taking their place, I think everyone from that series was pretty fun.

Kiell Smith-Bynoe

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Boris Galerkin posted:

I saw an x files banner on my Hulu and rotten tomatoes rates the last 2 seasons 60%+ so I figured it was worth watching.

If nobody bites the first time you just gotta let the bit go.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It’s a lovely bit. It’s too obvious, you need people to at least not be sure whether or not you’re genuine. It also doesn’t give you anywhere to go, it’s not a bit you can build on.

Now, if you had gone with something like, “I want to watch that X-Files reboot that came out recently but I only ever watched a couple episodes of the old show when I was a kid. Is there a good list of just the plot-relevant episodes so I can get caught up before I watch the new stuff?” That’s a good bit, with a little skill you could make the next three pages of this thread about that.

But you did a bad bit, and instead of cutting bait when nobody bit you doubled down. So now everyone knows you’re not genuine. You aren’t going to get any bites and you’ve hosed up future bits because people will remember this.

You hosed up. You’re a disgrace to all intentionally annoying posters. Get the gently caress out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

British comedy tends to be very old fashioned. I once got into an argument with someone who argued that American comedy isn't good because we hadn't produced any great comedy double acts in decades. Like, double acts as in Laurel and Hardy. That is straight up vaudevillian thinking. And apparently the British kept doing that style of thing up to pretty recently.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The IT Crowd has also been somewhat soured by the creator turning out to be an absolute freak weirdo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

EL BROMANCE posted:

Literally aired at the same time as Friends, which is not exactly a show I would say alienates the gently caress out of younger Brits today (and that video clip is almost 10 years old too).

Lol no way, that show looked like it was from 1973. British comedy really is far behind.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Diego Luna says that Andor s2 is almost done filming. It is kind of funny how that show went from something I thought was a dumb idea to being one of my most anticipated returning shows.

I just have no faith in Star Wars being able to do a good second season. I'm assuming that season 2 of Andor will have one episode that's just a backdoor pilot to a Bill Burr show that never gets made, and a three episode arc about High Marquise Galea Slup, the beloved character Star Wars fans have known and loved since she first appeared as a piece of concept art for a cancelled Clone Wars phone game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

All TV comedy should just basically be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PChzIsepmdk

except for the racist part. But the structure is sound

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 17, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hell yes! Big budget historical epics are back! Hollywood is saved!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/comedy-central-daily-show-host-no-choice-correspondents-1235879076/
Well, Variety is reporting that Comedy Central has reached a decision about the next Daily Show host and they're just not going to bother right now.

That's fine, nobody watches the Daily Show during an election year anyway

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shageletic posted:

The themes! The themes...

Any good motifs?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

zoux posted:

Daniel Dae Kim is insanely jacked

Netflix must turn every cartoon into a live action

It drives me crazy that they keep doing cartoons that are difficult or pointless to adapt, and ignoring very popular cartoons that would work super well as live action American series. A Netflix Girls und Panzer would basically be Drumline but with tank combat instead of drumming. It would translate perfectly well for American audiences, and the big budget live-action tank combat scenes would be an actual value add to the series.

They just don't have the vision.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

zoux posted:

Wow WWE is moving Raw to Netflix in Jan '25

You know we're going to look back at the 10-15 years of unfettered streaming like we look at the napster era, and regret

Are they getting the earlier seasons too? How long would it take for someone new to get caught up?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Khanstant posted:

Road House and Die Hard are two movies I'll never ever see but feel like I already have seen way too much somehow.

Die Hard is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jerusalem posted:

The one Jesus dropping something into the pool but he can't get in to retrieve it because he walks on water :allears:

I kind of assumed that Jesus walking on water was a miracle by the grace of god, not the result of Jesus’s inherent physical buoyancy.