Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I wanted to like the new Artful Dodger series. I am doing fine but could also use a relaxing show. Unfortunately, Brodi-Sangster did not show up in the way I wanted for all the time I could stand watching. Which was a shame because the aristocrat's daughter is played kinda well despite being the trope of being an out of control wild woman (i.e. a nerd who likes science experiments as much as she likes pretty dresses although she also really likes dresses) that is too rich and powerful for anybody to say anything therefore explaining why it isn't a big deal.

Don't watch it. Or do, since the reviews are excellent apparently? In any case read Dodger by Terry Pratchett. It's written when he was nearing the end of his struggle with Alzheimer's but the only way this shows is in how he seemed to confuse the ostensible YA book he was writing for satirical adult humour throughout.

R.I.P. Sir Terry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

IRQ posted:

And the original is exactly as good as people were saying for 20 years or whatever, oops.

Check out the movie too. The antagonist is just overpowered like if it were a Jason Statham movie (eww) but he was the villain. Kind of like the murderous clown from the series. Except in this film unlike most where this is the case and the protagonists find some secret to defeating him, here they just kind of have to keep trying until they luck out and "win".

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yo if you want a mashup of The Last of Us and True Detective that mostly works, try Monsieur Spade.

There's a lot that isn't ideal. Clive Owen is not Humphrey Bogart and it seems like the other characters are reacting to him as if he were. And the comic relief is a bit headscratching for a show in which the end of the first episode leaves us with six murdered nuns shot through the head and their bodies arranged in a macabre prayer circle.

But I'm cautiously excited. Especially since a third of the way in we still haven't met the character everyone including the police are afraid of touching.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 26, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

There are killer mushrooms in Monsieur Spade?

It's France so I wouldn't put it out of reach!

But I mean the surrogate father to a teenage girl who has survival skills of her own dynamic. Though to be fair the kid that needs to be brought someone/rescued is a second (related?) kid.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 26, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yo i checked out the first ep and I thought this was pretty good. I dunno about Bogart, it's been a while since I saw the film and I was always more familiar with the book anyway, but the dialogue gets it and there's a good vibe. Really great acting from the supporting cast, particularly impressed with the young actor who they cast as the teen being so specific and believable, but I also loved the dead wife and the cop. Plus some unexpected Dean Winters and Tamara Tunie in the trailer.

I also wasn't expecting was the vague supernatural element though, whose inclusion leaves me a bit puzzled.

Nice to hear I didn't swing and miss!

The thing you're referring to doesn't seem to be taken very seriously by Sam at this point. When he learns what the kid they're after is meant to be he's basically 'WTF? Another cult looking for a different religion's prophet child?' But it's likely some actors will be taking that element seriously, and it may have geopolitical impact regardless of the kid's nature.

Real glad how they set up the unofficial foster father-unofficial foster daughter relationship. We don't have to go through trite scenes of the girl slowly warming up to him. Or a faux-climax where Sam looks like he'll give the girl up for his own safety or comfort. She likes him. He cares for her. That's a better starting point. And I nearly laughed out loud when the cop is grilling him on why he got involved and Sam is trying to say it was $$$ but the cop smells BS and teases it out.

Finally, the trailer gave off Queen's Gambit vibes before I learned it's from the same show creator half-way through. But it's not coming through in the episodes so far.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Sexy Beast has some of the fingerprints of a great British gangster heist show. But something feels off, like the British gangster isms have been written by someone whos seen all the British ganster movies and shows, but never heard it in real life.

I dunno, still fun.

To be fair I'm pretty sure all shows and films are written by people who have come across British gangster-isms in media but not real life, or just made them up.

Unless the Industry actually is that dirty in that way.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Should i watch the Bear? I hate the pretenciousness of a great deal of chef related shows, and i can't stand Matty Matheson

I really didnt get it with the whole deal especially these shows influencing fashion. I don't just mean dressing like characters from the shows. I mean that the shows inspired lines of clothing that are meant to make you look like you work in a restaurant.

Then it hit me: Being a chef, while not my dream, is the dream of many many people around the world. Children and adults alike. So of course they'll find it cool.

It's just another version of people wearing camo with standard issue boots when they're civilians, pilot watches when they work in an office, and 80s power suits when they're business undergrads.

But I despise all those things too sooo

e: I went too hard on the watches. Buy them. Just don't brag about features you'll never use. Better yet, book a few hours in a Cessna. Errone should do that. It's cheap-ish because they want to get you hooked.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 28, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Fifteen minutes ago I asked my chef pal if he watches The Bear or Boiling Point. He gave a fairly emphatic no.

I lived with two other chefs in my time and they didn't watch these types of shows. And I don't talk to a third but I doubt he would.

Makes sense. Doctors don't watch medical fiction (key word). Do lawyers watch Suits or Rake?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

swickles posted:

I don't think there is a standout medical show currently aside from first reaponder based ones to be fair.

This is kind of what I meant. Everyone had seen every episode of House by the time I started first year, and most had seen most of Scrubs and GA. That was over 10 years ago.

I don't know a student or colleague now who has watched The Good Doctor or New Amsterdam. And the majority of people I know well enough to discuss TV habits with are doctors.

edit: GA was cool. I almost stopped watching when in the first episode the patient's buzzer pages the intern. But I powered through and liked it.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 28, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

They could make a TV show out of Men Who Hate Women but flesh it out with deeper stuff not in the book.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Alhazred posted:

Scrubs gets the seal of approvement because the doctors actually research stuff, unlike House that just magically comes up with a diagnosis.

They're all supposed to be geniuses from Johns Hopkins, McGill, Columbia, and UPenn. But these are the same people who would do the most reading on cases like this. So it tracks.

But it never being lupus? I see SLE all the time.

Shageletic posted:

But litigating and pretty much any other legal work (like I do) are basically two different jobs.

In several European countries they are literally two separate occupations and sometimes professions. Barristers and solicitors in the UK for example. And in Poland attorneys (solicitors) and counsellors (barristers) even have different degrees. An attorney can file your will or give you advice about a merger, and a counsellor can go to court for you. Technically that is. Because you wouldn't go to these people for those things.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 28, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Chairman Capone posted:

But being mobbed by students in office hours? I think I had two students total come to office hours in all of last year.

Maybe it depends where you teach? I went to one of the schools from the House post for undergrad and there were very much line-ups.

Some of the more popular/mini-celebrity professors had to have a no closed door policy ostensibly to prevent misunderstandings. Thought the rumour was that this wasn't their own choice.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

EricBauman posted:

Jack Ryan is also a history professor, but only the Harrison Ford version, not the four others

How do they explain how Ford knows his way around a standard issue weapon?

I think in the Krasinski and such versions he's meant to have been ROTC in college or a staff lieutenant in an academic role at some point. The latter wouldn't explain anything but the fundamentals of firearm safety and basic manoeuvres from officer selection but at least it'd be a starting point for what he picks up rapidly as a field agent.

mystes posted:

It's good but it's very stressful. I ended up liking season 1 a lot but I still haven't watched season 2 because I haven't been in the right mood for it.

That scene that everyone says makes the show a masterpiece from that point onwards? Where he breaks down and finally talks about his brother? How he loved and hated him? Is glad to be rid of the mess he makes in everybody's life but would give anything to have him back?

I watched it. It's fine. Maybe more than fine. And I obviously missed the build-up and context. But I've seen better. I listen to more touching stories every week irl

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Episode 03 of Monsieur Spade is out and it was more-than-just-fine to very-fine.

We meet the ostensible primary antagonist, albeit in a flashback. He's a piece of work and it was worth the wait. And given the focus on war changing everyone for the worse I don't expect he'll be any more cuddly going forward.

The ending of the episode was exactly what I should have expected but I got lulled into a false sense of ease right beforehand. It was also more hardcore than I remember seeing in an AMC show up to this point.

Finally, we have a transgender actress playing an ostensibly cisgender woman who may in fact be a cross-dressing cisgender male MI6 agent. If that's not progress when it comes to representation I don't know what is.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I could go for a H. Jon Benjamin Jack Ryan. One episode/film he plays it as Archer Jack Ryan. The next he does Bob from Bob's Burgers Jack Ryan. And finally he does something new entirely that's nothing like the books or previous movies but is actually more toned down and serious.

Speaking of silly things, when I want to start a new show I sometimes watch the opening to SE03 EP01 of Weeds. It gets me pumped up and also gives me a standard I should measure against.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Freshmen season: A's across the board
Sophore season: sophmoric
Junior season: tried, but took the wrong classes
Senior season: if they hadn't switched to this new school it'd have been okay

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I was looking for a show that had already finished not to binge but... kind of the opposite. Something I can put on as many times as I want before bed, that will hold my attention and be something I'm at least a little invested in, but that I can turn of half-way through the episode to get back to next time.

Anyways I found Better Things. It was something I had dismissed when it was airing because it looked like one of the many darker family dramadies that came out around the time. Learning that it was a Louis C. K. show didn't help because I didn't actually like Louie. But it's pretty fun.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Dr Chang's tween army side-plot, starting with an off the coffee deranged idea at a Bar Mitvah and ending somewhere around a Ken Burns mockumentary, is some of my favourite tv

I think(?) most thought it was the highlight of the show. But others really disliked it and thought that's where it went off the rails.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 2, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Better Things is so good. I'm working my way backwards and apparently the seasons got better as time went on so I might be getting the highlights, and the fact that I wasn't expecting to like it at all might be a factor, but it's bowled me over.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yeah it's really good.

I've only seen the first and last seasons, I should finish it some time.

I haven't yet seen a full episode of the first or second season but loved the fifth and the chunk of the fourth I've gone through.

I've heard that the difference is that the two older daughters chill the gently caress out as they mature a few years and this lets Pamela Adlon turn it up a notch without veering into laugh-track territory.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Escobarbarian posted:

Why are you going through it in reverse order?

Because I got convinced to give it a chance, the clips I was shown that I liked the most where from SE05, and the reviews say that's the best one followed by SE04 followed by SE03.

Maybe after finishing 4 I'll start at the first but maybe not. To each their own, man

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Is there any ginger male actor that has had success taking up lead roles? I mean consistantly not just as a one-off and not just playing an outcast/weirdo.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I think I get it now.

You're allowed to say whatever you want, even if it's hateful. That's free speech.

But if you call out someone for saying something hateful that's using your free speech to censor someone. If you also stop giving them money or working for/with them that's also cancelling and deplatforming. And if you convince others to do the same you're taking away their livelihood.

So if someone does the second thing above you can literally fire them and take away their parts.

But not the first thing above.

Got it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The real question about Hermione is how she wasn't sorted into Ravenclaw?

Gryffindor my heinie

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

BonoMan posted:

ok I actually liked this lol. What's the world coming to

Who is the woman telling PS he can't throw a child / what movie is she from?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Maybe you lot don't know what a ginger considers to be a ginger.

Like, none of these people would be thrown out of the clubhouse by ghost-white, freckled bouncers. But they wouldn't ever be the keynote speakers.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm excited for the next episode.

That's more than I can say about meeting shows, even the ones I'm watching.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Conversely, I only know his co-star from having played a heart surgeon on her show from a decade ago. So I wasn't expecting her to be in her mid-30s, given she would have played the previous role at an age when most are still in medical school.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Stegosnaurlax posted:

James Cagney and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were both rangas

I am so tired of Australians thinking they can use vile slurs like these just because their toilets flush in the opposite direction.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

When Tim Minchin moved to Britain he got in trouble for the language he used, which may have passed in Australia but not in the UK. (Which, already the UK is considered to be rather lenient with slurs.)

He made this I think as partly an apology:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

Which makes his original slurring that got him in trouble, and by extension Australia foul mouthed culture a net positive in this case.

So there's that.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Shageletic posted:

That sucks

I tried listening to it.

He starts off by saying that he won't punch down because while it's funny to do so his experience with the transgender community showed him the laughs aren't worth the trouble.

He then proceeds to punch down pretty much throughout the special at least until I fell asleep. That was roughly midway, where I'm not kidding you, he takes a five minute break to smoke a cigarette outside. In the middle of an hour long show. I mean they fast forwarded that part but it's still wild.

The sad thing is that I'm the audience he thinks he's speaking to and making laugh: a white, male, educated professional who grew up watching his TV show and still finding it hilarious. Lets be honest I don't think even he believes he's reaching a diverse audience.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Shageletic posted:

Who was he punching down on? What a poo poo dude.

I don't remember. I am quite sure he did though. I was going to post a list of the people he insults without being funny (at least to me) even aside from the jokes being offensive. There were a handful of groups. Enough that it made up the bulk of his set without it being a 'See? I make fun over everyone!" deal. Which would also not have been funny.

But when I woke up I forgot most of them. I don't think that's my fault. I think that if he wanted to make me think he failed.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Medullah posted:

I'm slightly more forgiving to Chappelle than a lot of people because I generally give stand up comedians a lot of slack

I don't. The job of the comedian is to be funny. If they have to be offensive to marginalized groups of people, laughing at not with them, so be it. I can definitely absolutely 100% see why someone would not find this funny just because it is offensive. Personally I can usually laugh even if I'm not proud of it.

If it's not funny, what's left? A form of self expression? Sure. But we're then able to say he's being a lovely person (if you're forgiving like me and don't outright label most people lovely people period). Just like music can be self expression even if it's bad but we can still say it's bad. Unfunny comedy is bad comedy even if it lets the comedian let off steam.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 5, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Trip reports:

Mr. & Mrs. Smith still entertaining me half-way in. What actually surprised me was the third episode. Like you knew that these people had some sort of special forces/intelligence background. They're not entirely buffoons stumbling around. But it was made to look (to me at least) like they're pretty much support staff office workers trying to live their 007 fantasies. Instead, no, Danny Glover just straight up James Bonds his way through the situation.

The earlier seasons of Better Things that I'm only just now coming to are almost as terrific as the later ones. Overall the differences are the ones I was told about : the background parts are played a lot more like caricatures, and the older kids are a lot less mature (in the latter seasons the oldest seems to have gained a modicum of self-confidence while the middle daughter stops being at mom's throat all the time and in general they chill out) . But you should still watch the entire series.

Monsieur Spade's third episode saw our hero in a pretty brutal situation. Like, you know he's gonna get through it. Spade isn't being played by Sean Bean. He'll survive. But the resolution in the latest one was, well, remember Bond about to die from poison in Casino Royale? Well it's like that if Daniel Craig was falling down and hitting his head on concrete and spitting up blood. But then he suddenly remembers that he has an all-purpose antidote right there on him. It did end in an interesting way though and I'm still excited for the next one.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Medullah posted:

Had me confused for a split second

I mean, I like Donald Glover, but have to admit it'd be a much better show.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Khanstant posted:

master chief

Is master chief short for Master Chief Petty Officer?

I think it's cool that you play an NCO in those games.

And that technically every single 22 year old sublieutenant outranks him even though they probably know better than to ever pull that card.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

SCheeseman posted:

Mr and Mrs Smith is one of my favorite shows of the last few years. It's ludicrously well made, the on-screen chemistry completely works, it's really funny. loving fantastic.

I'm on the fifth episode and there are a few real high points! Overall when it shines it's not only fun but actually seriously well made and well acted. Maybe just a half step below Man from U.N.C.L.E. in that regard.

There's also some parts that haven't held my attention. But basically all of the action sequences have. Including the what I would call bait & switch reveal a the climax of EP03 and the fifteen minute chase scene that kicks off EP05. For that latter one, it's obviously not realistic because of the fact that they never reload, but I really liked how it shows how hard it is for even professionals to hit anything with pistols at mid-distance when everyone is moving.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

zoux posted:

I thought Ben and Kate was really funny and she's also really funny when she does SNL.

Oh man realizing that was her when I read your post made me realize she would have been what 21 when filming scenes as the mother of a six year old child? I mean that's not outlandish and I drk but...

It made me realize that Paul Mescal was 25 (24?) when filming Aftersun as the dad of an 11 or 12 year old? That adds an additional layer of sadness to the ending. And also... I would have pegged him in his mid-30s. Seeing him in the roles he is in at his age makes me hope he has an excellent mental health support network.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Trump can't possibly be as bad as people say he would be

Or as bad as they say he was during his first administration.

Or as bad as I remember him being his first administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

Ron Perlman as the world's biggest moody tween in Mr. & Mrs Smith was amazing, haha.

72 years old!